Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

upgraded from 2019.2 to 2019.4, now many of the colors in my materials are too bright

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by laessnb, Nov 17, 2020.

1. laessnb

laessnb

It might be an HDR issue or something. I noticed that a lot of my underlays were suddenly too bright, making things look wrong. Or, certain portions of item tooltips that were supposed to be subdued with a gray color were now fairly bright white. Is there an automated way to correct for this problem?

Edit: I'm on TMPro 2.1.3.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

HDR support for the colors in the Material Inspector was added in version 2.1.x of the TMP package. This should not have affected previously defined colors. At least it did not in previous test scenes.

When you inspect the affected colors what does it show for intensity? Is the intensity at 0?

3. laessnb

laessnb

Yes, the intensities were all at 0 in the inspectors. I also just realized that I did upgrade TMPro at nearly the same time as my 2019.4 upgrade, so that explains part of it.

Almost none of my font materials had been touched in months, and not since those recent upgrades. Below is a source control diff showing the changes I had to make to the font material I use to show subdued things. It's supposed to be a medium gray, so the previous face color was around 0.5, but I had to decrease it by a lot for it to look correct. I do use bloom and other post-processing via built-in render pipeline on my UI camera -- is there something new about the way the post-processing stack interacts with TMPro?

upload_2020-11-17_18-6-50.png

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

It is indeed possible this is the result of the Post Processing Stack.

Were you using these same post processing FX before?

5. laessnb

laessnb

Yes, with no changes to any of my PPS profiles since the Unity and TMPro upgrades. My UI camera has Bloom and Antialiasing turned on, stacked over a main camera with color grading and motion blur.

I tried disabling the PPS, but didn't notice a difference.

Here's an example of how the material from my first post looked before the upgrades, with ~0.5 medium gray for more subtle things, compared to the gameplay values:
    upload_2020-11-18_16-54-39.png

And this is after the upgrades, but before I reduced it by clicking on -2 in the HDR Intensity section:
    upload_2020-11-18_16-55-1.png

Note the slight reddish underlay -- that was also too bright, which I reduced, as shown in the original diff. The shader is TextMeshPro/DistanceField.

Also, just this week I uploaded my entire project for an unrelated bug, in case you wish to ping Karolis Dijokas and look at it directly.

Attached Files:

unityunity