Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading to 2019.1.0f2 troubles [.blend import broken] [workaround]

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ibbybn, Apr 16, 2019.

1. ibbybn

ibbybn

Got 2 projects. 1 smaller where everything went smooth.
    The big project (60 gb) ran into all sorts of trouble ( no package manager showing had to reset packages etc etc ).
    Now for some reason in the big project none of my .blend files are usable. FBX no problem.
    You can't drag and drop them into the scene. In import window it always says not enough bones to create avatar when it's a character. But also none of the non-character blend files work. Also no 3d object in the previewer is shown. I also tried creating a default cube new blend file but it's also unusable.
    Also all the prefabs made from blend files of course just show missing prefab now...
    I fear I might need to create a new project and recreate all the tags/script orders etc.. Assets folder is all backed up of course.
    Any other ideas on how to fix this?

SOLUTION: https://forum.unity.com/threads/upg...bles-blend-import-broken.662623/#post-4437496

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    FardinHaque, davidson27 and esbenjon like this.
  2. ibbybn

ibbybn

So the plot thickens. When saving that same default cube blend file in the small project it also doesn't convert and spits out:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
    2. You need to use Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later versions for direct Blender import to work.
    3. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallGlobalEventHandler()
    These same blend files all worked with 2018.3.12f1 and are done with 2.79b so should just work.
    Also all the other blend files in the small project made with the same blender version just work.
    But when I load one of the working blender files in blender and save again they stop working. Very confusing haven't updated blender in over a year so that's not the reason.

davidson27 likes this.
  3. Austin_Hey

Austin_Hey

I have the same problem… I think the reason is because Unity doesn't run as an administrator (but I Don't know how to do it, seems like unity Hub is avoiding it, maybe because of the security issue unity encountered a few weeks ago)… It can't access the blend files. I'm not sure, I have the same problem and it's not fixed yet :s
    I can't use my blender files Inside unity with 2019 version

4. ibbybn

ibbybn

Not sure about the Hub thing. Why would the same hub version open 2019 versions as non admin and the others with rights? Either way, had to create a new project in 2018 as 2019.2 also didn't work ( even tried hub 2.0 but no go ).
    Blend file 2.79 support is a rather essential thing for many project workflows I'd assume.

5. davidson27

davidson27

I am also having this problem. I am running a 2017 macbook pro.

I was running 2018.3.11f1. Today I saw that 2019.1.0f2 was released. I downloaded unity hub, through hub I installed 2019.1.0f2.

I opened a project from 2018 into 2019 and .blend models and prefabs were all blank.
    I tried to open the same project in 2018 again but there were 600+ compile errors and 900+ warnings.

This particular project was done with the Lightweight RP. I created a new project in standard 3D and had the same issue.

6. chmodseven

chmodseven

We are having the same issue - all our .blend imports are borked and any prefabs that used them are now missing. Watching this thread hoping that somebody comes up with a fix - we have our main project in source control before the upgrade so can easily revert on a downgrade to 2018.3 there, but we'd much rather be on 2019.1 and without having to redo everything.

davidson27 likes this.
  7. davidson27

davidson27

Wish I thought of that :(

8. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

I'm also running into this issue. I saw someone suggest that updating to the blender 2.8b will fix the issue, but I'm not super keen on using a beta version of blender until it comes out in July. Seems like there shouldn't be a reason for things to no longer be compatible.

9. ibbybn

ibbybn

Yeah just found the issue where people voted on 2.8 support. It says fixed in 2019.2 but I just tried blender 2.8b with 2019.2.0a11 and it doesn't work.

10. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Yikes. This sounds like it shouldn't be an issue left for for 2019.2 anyways, since it's kinda project breaking.

davidson27 likes this.
  11. jotapeh_

jotapeh_

Hey, I had this same issue, there are a couple workarounds.

The first is to use Blender 2.80 beta as suggested above. If that doesn't work, you can replace your Unity-BlenderToFBX.py file with the 2018.3 version.

FardinHaque and ibbybn like this.
  12. ibbybn

ibbybn

Thank you! It worked.
    For those searching it's under YourUnityInstall/Editor/Data/Tools

davidson27 likes this.
  13. problemecium

problemecium

Regarding Austin_Hey's suggestion regarding running as Administrator: I tried setting the compatibility properties for Unity.exe (I'm on Windows 10) to "Run this program as Administrator" and, upon attempting to open the Unity Editor (which requires me to use the Hub now for some reason), Unity Hub reports in a little orange banner:
    "Error launching application: The application path 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Unity.exe' cannot be opened."
    Am I to infer from this that:
    A: Despite its continuing unpolished status, Unity Hub is now a non-optional requirement for opening any Unity project, and
    B: Unity Hub will refuse to launch Unity with Administrator privileges, again as a non-optional constraint?

14. davidson27

davidson27

I can find the file for the 2018 install, but I installed 2019 using hub and I cannot find it. Do you know where it would be?
    using mac BTW.

15. ibbybn

ibbybn

Click on INSTALLS in the unity hub. You see the path of your 2019 installation there

davidson27 likes this.
  16. davidson27

davidson27

Found it. Tried it. It works! Thanks for the help.

17. Tymianek

Tymianek

Upgrading to 2019 introduces several other issues, for now I'm going back to 2018

g_o likes this.
  18. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    esbenjon, ibbybn and sand_lantern like this.
  19. JoelFortin

JoelFortin

Unity Technologies

Hi all, so the problem here is that we added support for the new Blender 2.8beta but we also caused a regression for older versions of Blender which should be fixed soon ... meanwhile, attached is the Unity-BlenderToFBX.py (download and remove the ".txt" extension) script that fixes the issue so you can patch your current Unity. Note that this regression can affect the latest version of Unity 2018.3 as well.

If you still experience issues, simply make sure that your OS file association is using the desired version of Blender. Unity will use this association to launch Blender in background when a .blend file is imported in your Unity project.

Attached Files:

z26, esbenjon, ibbybn and 1 other person like this.
  20. jotapeh_

jotapeh_

The nice part of the upgrade is that models no longer seem to need post processing to come in without being rotated 90 degrees (yay!)

The downside is that now Cameras and Lights come in with every model (previously they didn't even if it was checked, which was kind of handy, but alas.) To stop this requires both unchecking "Import Cameras" and "Import Lights" AND making sure "Optimize Game Object" is checked under the Rig tab.

As you can see below, simply unchecking "Import Cameras" and "Import Lights" will leave empty gameobjects with those names in your imported models.

Downside is that models that don't have a Rig will now create a blank avatar. ah well. o_O

upload_2019-4-17_17-45-18.png

Vincent454 likes this.
  21. claybornp

claybornp

how / where should I run this?

22. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Just replace that file in your equivalent of
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.1.0f2\Editor\Data\Tools

Probably restart unity and you should be good to go!

23. ijann_

ijann_

24. Vincent454

Vincent454

This is still an issue in 2019.2 and 2019.3, I'm really hoping they fix this as this destroyed all of my scene objects and the rotation "fix" messed up all of my animations.