Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade particle shader for HDRP

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Velo222, May 23, 2019.

1. Velo222

Velo222

Hello,

I'm wanting a particle shader (that can use normal maps) that will work in the new HDRP. My first question is: Does Unity 2019.1 come with a particle shader by default that works in HD?

Second question is: Is there a way to manually upgrade a custom shader to work with HDRP? Any tutorials or anything on how to do that? I have a custom particle shader I'd like to upgrade to work with the HD render pipeline if possible.

Thanks.

2. Korindian

Korindian

To answer your first question, Unity developed particle shaders for HDRP but have not included them in the package yet. You can grab them from this thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643840/

You can comment about them here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-particle-system-shaders.643843/

As for your second question, I don't think there is much info out there yet with regards to upgrading custom shaders. They have one tutorial on how to do a skybox shader in the HDRP docs. Other than re-doing custom shaders with Shader Graph, you can see the generated code from Shader Graph shaders or even Amplify Shader Editor HDRP shaders to see how they're currently done. Unlit shaders shouldn't be too much of a problem. Some of my custom unlit shaders work as is in HDRP. I'll probably end up redoing them in the Shader Graph to take advantage of things like incorporating volumetric fog color on particles.

3. Velo222

Velo222

Thanks Korindian. I grabbed the particle shaders, but they seem to be very limited in terms of options right now, which I guess is to be expected -- and I'm not too experienced with the shader graph. I think I'm just going to wait for the HDRP assets and built-in functionality to develop further.

Thanks for the help and answering my questions! :)

Korindian likes this.