Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 !! ✅]Global Illumination Proxy-Fast fully real time GI,Zero baking,Mobile optimized,IBL

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Aug 9, 2014.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

I just baught on the asset store.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ok, then you have to use the scripts i sent in the PM to work

That is why you cant see the buttons, it is a different script.

Please also erase and re-import the new scene after you insert the new scripts, otherwise it may not work

Oh and now you are in the beta officially :), let me know what other things you would like to see in the system, just in case i can provide them for the next update

Welcome to the GI user familly, everyone is welcome here, even the most sceptical :). Hopefully you will change the review after you are convinced i did not fake that demo :) and the 60fps were for real.

3. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Zengarden either there is a fault with your computer or you are misunderstanding the performance statistics. Firstly what cpu do you have ? The maximum fps most screens can display is 60fps and is totally smooth to the eye. Any figure that Unity quotes with a number above 60fps is not accurate because usually windows will choose to clock down the mhz of a cpu when it gets past this figure to keep the computer cool and use less power. Also as default Unity will do the same with the graphics card and vsync it to 60 fps.

The only exception to this would be if you have manually changed the fixed delta time or disabled speed stepping on your cpu or have a very old cpu that can't clock down. If unity is reporting wild frame jumps going from over several hundred frames per second down to 60 and the game doesn't look totally smooth it sounds like your cpu is becoming faulty and overheating. Perhaps your fan is full of dust or something. Unity will report incorrect stats if your computer hits it's top thermal limit because it will constantly be stalling the cpu to prevent it from being damaged. The stats in unity will then be incorrect because they don't take into account a stalling cpu.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the (valuable as always) input Ian, hope this gets resolved :)

From what i gether there is not really any problem, since the webplayer demo runs at 60fps on zengarden's side, pretty much the same fps as i get on the PC i use to work on my game with the GI system on. He just tries to compare a before fps that is not logical (2000fps) to the fps the actual game will have, that is what i think the root of the problem

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. zenGarden

zenGarden

I run triple A games like AC4 or Risen3 at good resolutions , im' not sure i have a CPU problem.

I just purchased on asset store, i don't have any beta package, and the missing stuff in the package download are all buttons and sliders to test things ('ill add the fps counter myself).

Also i don't epxect a cheap package to do as much as Spectra GI from Livenda, i just expected some more performance. Well i'll make some tests again withing within some hours.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

I sent you a PM with the beta scripts, the demo is made using the new updated scripts. You have to import them from the pack i sent in the PM first.

If 60fps is not good performance, then what is ? The system performs amazingly well, you have tested and run 60fps on your side as you said, i still dont understand (and cant possibly understand) what you mean.

Also we have not seen SpectraGI and what it does, and this was never intented to be a real GI replecement, but a very fast approximation (which it is).

It also works on all platforms and Unity Free, plus requires zero baking.

Frankly this is the description of the system i would like to use myself, i hate baking and dont have Pro yet. I would pay 100$+ easilly for that (knowing also that like all top assets here, would be worth at least 100 or even 1000 times that when used right in a successfull game).

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have added a terrain and animated objects in the environment too for the new demo and smoothed out the effect a lot more

I will soon post the new demo, this is still heavy work in progress, but it is good that i finally got to make it, so i can provide a full outdoors demo for the next version (1.5)

I am also thinking of combining this with the particle pack and provide a complete solution for outdoors, with water flowing, the GI and much more :)

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

With and without GI Proxy:

Here is the new outdoors + atrium demo, that is also using the "hero follow" mode.

Transition from in to outdoors Webplayer Demo - GI Proxy:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/RADIOSITY/ATRIUM_OUTSIDE 2.html

Work in progress demo for the next version (1.5).

Enjoy :) (and remember to grab the pack while still at 25$, the new 40$ price has been submitted and will take effect very soon)

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new version will also have an option to make 2ond bounce lights "not important" type, to squeeze some extra performance when needed.

Done so far for v1.5:

- Added 2ond bounces, regulated instensity, creation and offer parameters for controling the radius of the lights.
    - Added option to make 2ond bounce lights "not important"
    - Added demo scene, with in to outdoors transition and hero follow mode (link in the post above)
    - Optimized performance for 2ond bounces, main bounce lights will raycast one per frame
    - Fixed some rules for eliminating ligths that did not apply to point lights and fixed light creation and elimination for point lights, so the further away created bounce lights dont dissapear when created.

Some extras added in the "to do" list:

- Make full day/night cycle, turn light source properly and provide a perfected scene with the cycle and the system

- Combine the position along the raycast vector and the offset to the ground for low sun angles, so lights dont come closer to the ground than a threshold. (plus option to offset only in Y axis)

10. iamsam

iamsam

Hi, I think what zenGarden might be referring to was the fps that you seen when you are not in play mode. The fps shown in edit mode is not reliable and can go into 1000's of Hz as it is quite arbitrary. However you need to report what is shown when you enter "play" mode as that is the actual fps and it can go above 60Hz, usually for desktops it can oscillate between 60 and 90 or even 120 Hz, although most monitors only support 60Hz so even thought the game is throwing more frames at you, you cant see it due to the screen refresh rate.

One suggestion I would like to make is that please compare your settings before comparing frame rates. For example are you both running in deferred or forward mode, what is the amount of memory taken by the GPU, what are the drawcalls that both of you are obtaining when running the same scene. Just comparisons of fps wont tell anything to be very honest.

Another suggestion for the author is that you need to mention that you are adding a pool of lights to create a proxy system as that gives an idea to new subscribers what to expect. As I mentioned before in deferred rendering if you just add a single point light you are multiplying your number of calls and that might be problematic for some heavy mesh scenes.

I however think this is a good proxy system that allows you to test quickly which areas can benefit from this and which cannot.

I am happy with the system however l am not sure if this can be called an approximation of GI since it really is not an approximation, IBL would be an approximation or path or cone tracing but not adding additional lights. So I am really not sure about the GI in the name or in description as it gives a false hope to the user that this would allow them to approximate a GI without performance hits. Its just a suggestion and what I personally feel. Also just to let you know that one can add more lights to the scene and still keep the fps the same as my GPU takes over the overload of drawcalls. So just seeing that the fps is 60Hz does not mean that the settings are optimal, it means that the system needs to be tested on more heavy scenes.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the input iamsam

I agree mostly with everything and maybe indeed the GI Proxy is not the best title, but still it is a GI approximation, the method may not be the traditional one, but what indirect light does is not much different than what this system does, adds an extra light source, which is emulated by the proper placement of the bounce lights in my system.

I understand though that since this is not a classic technique, could mislead, so i will add a more accurate/detailed description in the next update to state the exact method used on the approximation.

As for the fps testing, this is a ongoing matter, the best i can do is report fps from my RPG game, that uses heavy scenes, with movable parts, huge poly counts and skinned enemies all at once.

Other than that i can look into performance issues if needed per case and help in setup, but i cant cover any case before hand unfortunately.

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

@nasos_33:
    Sorry for the inconvenience, i never thaught Unity fps stat was so unreliable.
    Checkout the new review :)
    (I'll have to make it work from scratch on my own scene levels).

One missing thing is a complete document on how to setup your system in a custom scene without all buttons and sliders , only adding GI and hero system in a new custom scene. Some document explaining that step by step with pictures or videos would be great.

Actually there is stuff on prefab folder, but i don't know how to use it with my own character and what prefab to pick up ? one or two prefabs at same time ? Does i need to remove my own camera and use cameras from GI prefabs only ?

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the fair review, glad you can now use the system. It does need more tutorials indeed and i hope i find time to bring some with pics and details soon. I just usually try to perfect the system and then make the tutorials :), so i can cover the final version.

I have indeed some prefabs to use if you like to have a clean setup than from the demo scenes, the plan is to also offer more prefabs based on various scales, for drop right in the scene of a specific scale.

You just drop the required prefab in your scene and change it based on the scale of the scene, then if you need hero follow mode (this applies to the sun only), just drag your hero from the scene to the script parameter.

If you instantiate the hero, you must add it through scripting though, based on how you do it. I have commented a line of code where the hero should be declared in code, just make sure to leave the parameter blank in the editor, so it gets the item from your code.

If you need help doing that, i can also help if you tell me how you handle your hero inside the game.

For the spot light is easier, you just parent it to your hero prefab (or the hero in the scene) and move it to the desired location on the hero.

The point light prefab can be used in any way, you can attach to your hero or drag it with my script etc

Let me know if you need further help :)

Nasos

zenGarden likes this.
  14. nasos_333

nasos_333

I forgot to mention that for the hero follow mode, it is desirable to have the lights hit in front of the hero and play with the "offset" parameter to define the exact placement.

To see where lights hit, enable the debug option(s) in the script inspector and the "gizmo" option in the Unity editor, hit play and then go to scene mode and see where raycasts hit and play with offset until the frid is near or around the hero. Then keep these values, exit play mode and insert them in the offset parameter in the script, so you can start with the lights hit in front of your hero, then the raycasts will follow the transform of the hero as he moves around (make sure the hero follow option is enabled too)

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some more things to consider

- The raycasts will hit any collider, or pass through objects without colliders, so if you see lights in the middle of a shadow, it may have passed through a missing collider in the object that casts the shadow (got this problem when i was setting it up in the castle, some towers did not have colliders and let lights register in shadows

- There is a parameter to cut off lights registered way above the hero in Y axis, for example i use this in the atrium scene to cut back the lights that may register in the roof. This threshold is in relation to the hero, so will cut light above a certain height from the hero, thus the hero can move in Y axis and the system will still work.

- The sun should also reposition itself to follow the light rotation, this will make sure the raycasts are directed correctly in relation to the gameobjects in the scene. Take care of the distance to source parameter in this case, since lights wont register if further away than this thresold from the source light.

- The hero follow mode main function is to keep the lights hitting in the intital grid in front of the hero, even if the light rotates, so a rotation will redirect the raycasts always in front of the hero.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

The store review did not finish on monday

So you can get the pack at the current low 25$ price while the review process still lasts :)

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

A note on the new demo

The quality setting GUI button is broken and will revert to a not desired mode, i will fix it for the final demo of course :)

18. Licarell

Licarell

@nasos_333 - I remember a quick post about adapting this to Jove V2, how is that coming along?

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is a plan for a release after the v1.5 is out and the initial system is perfected, so will take some time

I dont have Jove and this will further delay it a bit, but i will try to make it happen as soon as possible and will update the status of when this comes close here

I did do a first research on the matter, since my script is heaviy dependent on the Unity lights properties, it wont be trivial to do the port

I have some ideas how i could do it faster (like use a middle script that will create and regulate Jove lights by looking at what my system does to Unity point lights, which would bypass any needed change and lookup to light properties in my main script), maybe i get some fast implementation like that out first in the light level.

I am also open to ideas and suggestion on how this could/should be done :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another cool use for the system is to help bake GI in an environment.

The procedure is to go in play mode, setup the system as desired to give the right GI lights and see the result in real time and then copy the created lights (or the whole pool) and paste it in the editor after exiting play mode. Then these lights can be used for baking the GI to lightmaps (along with any other lights that may be needed in the scene of course).

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Jove light support (hopefully :) )

I have put together a script to inject to the bounce lights, that will create and update the Jove lights and a Jove component is added in the light gameobject from the main GI script (enable the last parameter "Jove_Lights")

I have no means to test it (dont have Jove), so anyone interested can have the scripts and see if it works :)

EDIT:
    An update to this.

I have moved all the work to the injected script, so the main script will only inject it to the lights and then this separate script will disable Unity point light, add Jove light component and control it based on the disabled point light (which gets updated by the main script)

Hopefully there will not be any blinking with this setup during the disable of point light and addition of Jove light, but i cant be sure.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  22. nasos_333

nasos_333

@IanStanbridge

I have sent the new system with the Jove support and details in PM.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  23. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi nasos here are some screenshots of the GI system in conjunction with Jove after the modifications to the script I sent you in a pm. I've boosted the intensity of the GI as Jove seemed to need far higher values for intensity with the bounce lights. My intensity settings probably isn't accurate I just used a setting where I could tell the bounce color was contributing.

For the test I used a room with a yellow front and floor along with purple walls on the sides to bounce off. I also disabled Joves reflection probes, cube map lighting and set ambient lighting to complete darkness.

First up is the result of adding 2 standard red and green point lights without enabling GI.

JoveNonGI.png

Second is the result of enabling 2nd bounce lights with your GI

JoveProxiGI.png

Lastly I did a stress test where I added 80 randomly coloured lights to the scene and told it to enable second bounce for all of them. The result was more than 300 lights. Here is the result.

Lots of GI.png

Unity reported that the render time was identical with the scene with 2 lights so I'm guessing the deferred renderer was doing what it should. The cpu usage was far higher at this point though so I'm thinking the cpu will often be the limiting factor with the GI rather than the gpu.

RockSPb likes this.
  24. SteveB

SteveB

Hmmm that's rather sexy, and Jove continues to impress with that 'certain something' quality that makes simple scenes look great.

Can we get a test thats a bit more conventional (e.g. Cornell Box at the very least?)

Good stuff guys

-Steven

25. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Just double checking because I just bought it: does it really work on unity Free? :eek:

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

The CPU is going to be a limitation with so many lights for sure, due to the raycasts, especially with second bounces. Of course this can be further tweaked to be less of an issue when you do have so many lights. I can add a variable to control the 2ond bounce casts to even less if you have many lights one near the other etc

There is a big number of extra optimization that can be done, i just did not do it because normally the system was made to use as few lights as possible for Unity renderers, but now that works on Jove i would be glad to add option to lower CPU usage for the 300 lights (or at least find a balance between raycasts frequency and light number)

Also you can probably get good result with far less lights i suppose and bigger radius etc, it is all about tweaking.

Most importantly, the system is not yet optimized for multiple GI lights one near the other, most of the created bounce lights would just overlap (since one point GI light wont look at anothers registered lights) and will be created in places that are not required and covered by another light.

A global elimination algorithm/manager for overlaping lights would make the 80 lights not register overlapping lights or even eliminate some of the raycasts altogether and save CPU further. These optimizations are all planned for the version after v1.5 is out.

Thanks for the very impressive results, Jove is a perfect fit for the system :)

Sure, it uses standard Unity point lights :) and is optimized for using as little as possible. Pro and Jove users can benefit from the deferred and Jove extra speeds of course.

And there is zero baking involved as well, it is all real time and works with all dynamic/animated etc objects.

I will be working on 3rd bounces too, after i further optimize the 2ond bounces to sqeeze even more speed :), the system is already coded for N bounces, but needs some planning to get them right.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  27. SteveB

SteveB

...*cough*Skylighting*cough*...

:D

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

That sould be easy to integrate, if i could somehow pass the sky color data to the script. I have no idea how to do that yet though :) or even how to grab them for all various cases. This is definitly in the plans but will be wip for some time.

Also would be cool to offer a connection to Skyshop IBL and possibly get data from there for a first fast approach ?

I will program a first approach with a spherical dome and see what i can come up with :)

29. SteveB

SteveB

You do know we don't need to pull the color data 'from' a sky object. I simply mean a hemisphere of light information encircling the scene.

You could create (as I could now that I typed this) an array of sky-blue lights around the scene and go from there.

Maybe this isn't as difficult as I'm thinking, plus JOVE has a sky system already in place that this whole venture might be moot.

:D

-Steven

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

I started coding a first version, hopefully i will have a result by tomorrow :)

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

The first sky light version is done !!! :), the result is amazing since it gives a slight subtle hue to all colors based on the sky color and sun rotation

Now i guess it is an IBL Proxy system too :) :)

I also fixed some problems in 2ond bounces (they updated the main bounces, when they should not).

And added a rotation mode to the grid, which means now spot lights can have a grid too.

All will be included in v1.5.

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky influence (IBL with sky texture) to the GI lighting, 1. No IBL, 2.IBL 0.05, 3. IBL 2.09

Here is some pics showing the subtle sky color (blue here) grabbed from backraycasting system in IBL Proxy upcoming add on.

Note that the sky will need a collider for this to work, so for now only works with dome textured skies.

There is also a parameter for controlling the sky color value contribution to the overall lighting.

The system needs some extra option to cut back raycasts from other than the sky objects (eg if an airplane catches a ray or raycasts start lower than a roof), to be on the safe side, so i will add a tag based option or direct sky insertion in the script.

IBL Proxy is coming in v1.5, together with 2ond bounces and many enchancements and fixes. The system also supports fully dynamic changing skies, all changes to the sky or its texture will affect the Global Illumination in real time.

EDIT: Some extra IBL tips and notes

- The sky must be put in the Sky parameter, if none is provided will grab everything by default

- The sky check is done by name, so any object with the same name as the gameobject in the Sky parameter will also contribute color if raycasts catch it

- The sky texture must be set to "advanced" and the read/write option must be activated, in order to grab the texture color.

33. SteveB

SteveB

Yay! Honestly it's hard for me to tell in your images; can you do a simple 'outdoor' shot with objects with a neutral material? (Misc. sample image from Google...)

Great work man!

-Steven

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will try :), it may not be as complex as the above, but i will try to show the basic way the sky color affects some items

BTW, is there an easy way to make a spherical sky dome ?

35. SteveB

SteveB

Oh yea you can use spheres...that 'head' pic was merely the most immediate example I found that fit.

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

EDIT: One more with Orange sky and no IBL

Here is a quick sample, you can see the effect of the blue sky in the shadows, vs the uniform color in the non IBL use case

This uses a tight grid in hero mode, but could be expanded to affect shadows further with more lights.

37. SteveB

SteveB

I see it better yes, and the effect simply needs to be increased a bit. The sky illuminates a great deal, so this is not a subtle effect! :D

Also for the sake reference, could you include a 'RealWorld.tm' shot, with a proper Skyblue Sky and yellow tinted Sun?

Great stuff nasos!

-Steven

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), glad you like it. I though the sky implementation would take longer, but I love the result and is really great that i have at least a first version ready.

The effect is variable and could get color only from the sky if need be, everything can be controlled :)

Indeed the effect was subtle before i put the variable lerp, now it can be anything :)

Do you have any sample of the scene setup you mean ?

39. SteveB

SteveB

You mean what I suggested? Nothing handy but really all you need is the Sky (again skyblue color), a plane and several primitives along with a yellowish Direct Light and boom, you have the image I linked above.

Also I'd remove any post effects (looks like you have Vignetting running) to really appreciate the effect. The sky should feel bright and blue! :D

Lastly when do you anticipate this build going up? I can test this right away once I have the asset and tweak it to my hearts content rather than having you do it, haha.

-Steven

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is not vignette, it is just that i used two spheres to hold the sky textures :) and they get darker in the curvature :)

Sadly i dont have Pro to do that yet :)

The code is ready, so i could upload at any point, just need to add the IBL to the manual, but i still wait for the price change submission to go ahead, i dont risk submitting twice for the same pack, just in case

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A new feature was added to allow lighting be created on the normal of the hit surface than the vector along the raycast, this is usefull for day cycles where light may come from any angle

Haagndaaz likes this.
  42. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The v1.5 is now ready to be submitted, and this will take place when the previous submission is done (submitted last week so should be done today or tomorrow hopefully)

I will update again when this happens :)

Features for the new v1.5:

- Added 2ond bounces, regulated instensity, creation and offer parameters for controling the radius of the lights.
    - Added option to make 2ond bounce lights "not important" in render mode
    - Added demo scene, with in to outdoors transition and hero follow mode (link in the post above)
    - Optimized performance for 2ond bounces, main bounce lights will raycast one per frame
    - Fixed some rules for eliminating ligths that did not apply to point lights and fixed light creation and elimination for point lights, so the further away created bounce lights dont dissapear when created.
    - Added sky mode, to grab color from the sky dome (must have a collider) texture.
    - IBL parameter added to define the degree of influence of the sky to the GI
    - Added option to move the lights away from the hit surface along the normal vector, for better distribution of lights in space.
    - Added support for Jove point lights.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  43. nasos_333

nasos_333

The new price was submitted last friday, so should be up in the store today.

You can still grab the asset low price for a few more hours !

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The review process did not finish this friday, so the pack will be low price for the whole weekend and maybe some days next week. Grab it while the review is still going :)

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

Area lights proxy (using point lights), plus GI.

I will be including an area light approximation scene in v1.5, this is still only a simple setup of point lights, so it is only for area lights that should be used away from surfaces (since point lights would show) and dont cast shadows.

These are a first step towards an idea of a new AI system that will control these lights so they can be used as an area light for close up (by regulating the point light intensity, range and position). This will come in v1.6 (if i can manage to make it work properly) and will of course work in Unity free like the rest of the system.

46. mk1978

mk1978

Just a quick question. Has anybody tested this with big forest scenes? For example when the scene has multiple thousands of trees and other vegetation. Does it bring more realism and is there big affect on performance?

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

I also would want to know also if it could work on a greater zone around the camera in hero mode , to have GI in longer distance from player.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

In hero mode, the impact will be the same no matter the scene scale or object count, since the lights are always cast at a grid around the hero. The performance will be affected by the bounce light grid thickness though and the detail the lights see near the hero.

Since the system uses colliders to cast the bounce lights, you will have light pass through the unity trees i guess, so you will have a good result based on the grid setup. In areas you really need the shows a collider must be added (say in a very thick forest that light passes only in some areas). In this case you could have a global collider above the trees and leave the seams.

If the grid is setup properly according to the scene, it will certainly give a much better sense of realism, emulating the light that should be cast from the lit ground to the trees.

I use it for forests in my game (though smaller than with thousand trees) and enchances the look in a big way. I also had a problem with mushrooms underlight and solves it amazingly well. Now i dont have to place a light under every mushroom :) and the effect does not have to be static either.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have provided an expandable grid for now, but this of course is work in progress (or work to add new options to) and plans include adding more control over the grid in various ways (like add an option to have a thicker close by grid that will expend further using exponentially less lights, placed in such a way that will try to grab as much color information as possible)

That said, with the current version you can expand the grid along the axis of the hero view vector and offset it so it reaches further ahead of the hero. Then check the distance from source parameter is large enough to allow lights be created in the distance.

The grid has been tested with a fixed camera, in full rotation mode may need adjustment of the offset according to the hero rotation (i will check if the coming in v1.5 rotate grid option works for the hero mode, i tested this on spot light only).

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Version 1.5 is ready for release. I am still waiting for the review from previous friday to go through, so i cant submit just yet.

Anyone knows what will happen if i submit the asset before the previous review process has been finished btw ? Maybe i should upload and the new submission will be the active one ?