Search Unity

Upgrade from 7.3.1 to 8.x.x

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Imperatoss, May 13, 2020.

1. Imperatoss

Imperatoss

Hi all,

i dont know what i´m missing but i cant upgrade my renderpipeline from 7.3.1 in the package manager to any higher. I dont see any other Versions.

upload_2020-5-13_23-1-24.png

Show preview packages is active in the Package Manager.

upload_2020-5-13_23-2-46.png

2. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

You need the 2020.1 beta to use HDRP 8 or 9.

3. valarnur

valarnur

It is a mid may. Will new HDRP version 7.4 come this week?

4. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Not this week, but 7.4.0 package will be out by the end of May.

valarnur likes this.
  5. Imperatoss

Imperatoss

Okay, thank you very much for the Information =)

6. valarnur

valarnur

Will 7.4.0 be final LTS?

7. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It was supposed to be, but there may be a 7.5.0 (as far as I know it's mainly for URP though).

8. dgoyette

dgoyette

Given that HDRP 7 is out of preview, and that it's the version associated with 2019.3/4 LTS, should we expect bug fixes on the HDRP 7.X stream moving forward? You say that 7.4 was supposed to be the last release, but there's some group of us who will be staying on 2019.4 indefinitely because of the last of Realtime GI in Unity 2020. I was hoping/expecting that HDRP 7 would receive bug fixes in a similar way that Unity 2019.4 LTS would continue to receive them reasonably far into the future?

9. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, it will receive important bugfixes along the way during the life of the LTS support via package manager.

dgoyette and valarnur like this.
  10. valarnur

valarnur

Any news about 7.4.0?

11. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I'm also stuck with HDRP 7.3.1 because my team cannot switch to a new (unstable) version of Unity.
    So we only can get rendering improvements when we switch to the new beta? Or what is the plan?

12. dgoyette

dgoyette

That's always been the pattern with HDRP, and it seems to be set to continue through 2020.2 at least, where each major version of Unity gets a new major version of HDRP. In general, only bug fixes are backported to older HDRP releases. So, if there's a feature you're missing in 7.3.1, and its absence isn't a bug, you should not expect it to ever exist in the 7.X stream, and you'll need to be on a newer version of Unity.

13. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Reminds me of using 2019.3 beta to get HDRP updates. Result where crazy bugs like broken FBX animations importer. Not sure if going back to that hell.

Which important new features I actually miss when using HDRP 7.3.1? I'm looking for the Screen Space Reflections working with transparent materials and improvements on TAA. I read it was on the roadmap. Any news?

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  14. valarnur

valarnur

I've read that new SRP will have water shader and light performance optimization . I assume SRP 9 will have grass system.
    I would like to use HDRP 9 in my 19.3 project, therefore.

15. dgoyette

dgoyette

You won't be able to use anything beyond HDRP 7.X with 2019.3 or 2019.4 LTS (when it's released). For HDRP 8, you'll need to be using Unity 2020.1, and for HDRP 9 you'll need 2020.2. That's just the way they're doing it, presumably because certain features depend on core engine changes.

16. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Well, if that new water shader requires Unity binaries to change, that just proves to me something like water is not possible with shadergraph alone an requires several changes with SRP. :/
    And any effort in custom shaders and putting them hardcoded together with the HDRP shader will break each new version. :/
    That package system is not so useful if most of them requires heavy dependencies on Unity version. :/

17. dgoyette

dgoyette

I don't think it proves much of anything. It's kind of like this: With each new version of Unity, they plan an HDRP release. Some of the features in that HDRP release will probably depend on some engine changes, but they won't necessarily all depend on engine changes. It's just that they do a bunch of work at once targetting a specific Unity version. While it would possibly be technically possible to backport features, they're basically just kind of moving forward quickly at this point. They backport bugs fixes, but usually they don't backport major features.

So, maybe it's technically possible, as far as the engine is concerned, to do some of the things in 2019.3. But that doesn't mean they'll backport everything/anything just because it's technically possible.

18. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I know but it is simply unrealistic to ask studios to upgrade to an alpha verison of Unity. That's what I got told also from the lightmapper department. :/
    We are just glad that 2019.3 is stable enough for our needs. :/

19. valarnur

valarnur