Search Unity

Upgrade 3 year old Kinect project created with 2017.4

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by eco_bach, Feb 16, 2020.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

Need to revisit a 3 year old Kinect project created using 2017.4. Of course when i tried opening with latest 2019.3 there are tons of compile errors.
    My question is whether or not i should spend the time trying to upgrade if I don't expect to ever revisit this project again in the future? Are there any performance or other features for a desktop application that might make upgrading to 2019.3 worthwhile?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

If you didn't say Kinect, I'd say it would be easier to assess this tradeoff.

However, Kinect might not be supported evenly and reliably through versions of Unity, so you probably want to timebox yourself and do some experimentation.

Upgrading a vanilla Unity project from 2017 to 2019 shouldn't be too hard. It will be harder if there are lots of plugins and native specific stuff, which I imagine there might be for Kinect.

What I would do, presuming you are using source control:

- make a branch
    - remove the integrated Kinect library
    - install the latest Kinect library
    - reopen with Unity2019
    - knock out any other minor API endpoint changes
    - possibly remove (temporarily) or upgrade any other non-kinect native libraries that are complaining
    - make a build and see if it works.

When you have third party integration to upgrade like this, the key thing you want to do is to try and look past as much of the near-term chuff and noise (errors) and ask yourself, "Am I really close to this, or is this going to be a complete reintegration of a completely-different-shaped library?"

In any case, if you do decide to stick with 2017, at least go to the LTS version and see if that works. And don't do ANY of this testing if you are not using source control! Get everything into git now before you damage anything with upgrades.

eisenpony likes this.
  3. eco_bach

eco_bach

Thanks. great advice!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.