Search Unity

UPGEN Lighting (Standard, HDRP, URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mm_ASH, May 26, 2020.

1. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

UPGEN Lighting is an optimized for maximum performance framework that aspires to provide a fully dynamic approximation of Global Illumination to your games (requires no precomputations). Initially designed for VR games, this solution provides high execution speed, produces great visual results, and uses a minimum of system resources. Emulation of indirect lighting could be made as fully automatic, in a semi-automatic way, or by manual designing light to save extra performance.

Under the hood, the solution is based on the idea of making an ultra-fast type of point light sources (10 times faster than standard ones) and using thousands of them to approximate light propagation for the scene in realtime. To achieve this we made a special kind of screen space effect, which bakes each frame hundreds of most valuable lights and applies combined lighting inside G-Buffer for the current camera.

This framework provides several workflows for building lighting in your scenes. You can use such Fast Light sources to automatically transfer bounced light from standard light sources using Ray-Tracing. Or you can combine a standard type of light sources with Fast Lights to manually approximate GI in complex scenes and achieve the best performance and a beautiful visual look.

More Videos: Setup Guide | Practice | Sponza Demo

Limitations:
    • In automatic mode it could be very innacurate (to stay fast) and some manual work still required
    • Lighting does not affect transparent geometry
    • Ray-tracing uses colliders to detect ray hits (geometry without colliders will not produce bounced lighting)
    • Only light types supported with Fast GI and Ray-Tracing are Point and Spot Lights
    • Direct and Area type of lights is not supported by a realtime ray-tracing
    • Does not take into consideration shadows and light cookies
    • Ray-Tracing cache has a certain amount of inertia and will have visual delay for fast-moving light sources
    • Ray-Tracing will produce light leaking

Features:
    • Do not need precomputations and just works in few clicks
    • Do not use any special graphics features and can work on any platform
    • Fast light has special math inside so it is combination of point and ambient light types
    • All framework is written in C# code and the source code is included
    • No GC allocation garbage
    • Supports hot recompilation (during playing in editor)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. Cascho01

Cascho01

(Where) can we try and buy?

3. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Now you can try windows standalone demo (see link in the description). Package now is on approval, so hopefully soon it will be available on asset store.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. Cascho01

Cascho01

"Supports recompilation during playing in editor"

Any features that support full runtime?
    I mean can this thing light a 3d-modell loaded at runtime?

5. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

All features are fully runtime, especially GI.
    All parts of framework can be recompiled without crashes during playing in editor without stopping it, including Ray-Tracing cache.
    Yes, it does not use any light-mapping-type approaches where some lighting info is stored as part of the model - all it does it does in fully dynamic way in runtime or designtime inside its own internal data structures.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Cascho01 likes this.
  6. arTk_ev

arTk_ev

The image is very nice and soft. FPS is nice too.
    Why did you need HDRP, what function is it tied to?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Only function of HDRP it use is Deferred rendering (as lighting is building inside G-Buffer).
    Soon I am planning to make support of standard pipeline in deferred rendering and probably limited version for URP (with forward rendering).

Cascho01 likes this.
  8. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Are you on discord?

9. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

nope

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  10. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Package now is approved and available on Asset Store !
    Version for Deferred Renderpath of Standard Render Pipeline is in testing.
    Version for URP is in development and will come a bit later.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    frbrz likes this.
  11. one_one

one_one

Huh, this looks pretty cool. You wrote that for large outdoor scenes with a directional light, the semi-automatic workflow should be used. I didn't really see that being described in the manual, how does that work?

12. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Now you can use ray-traced GI with directional light only in small area around e.g. in front of cave entrance. When you see how lighting looks like in some particular area, you can remove ray-traced version and put manually Fast Lights to approximate it. Another way you can use script to make directional light follow your camera smoothly along XZ plane. Both solutions of course are far from optimal and hopefully in future fully automatic way will be implemented.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    one_one likes this.
  13. jjejj87

jjejj87

mm_ASH,

I am a sucker for GI and given Unity's current GI state, I m super interested. However, it is very hard to get a good idea of what this is - it is great that you included a standalone demo, but it is near impossible to actually see what is going on as the environment is very static and too simple. Good enough to prove something is working but not enough to make me decide. The information provided is just too little and walled off.

I have a few questions

1) When you say "ray-traced", does it work on pre pascal cards? Is it getting accelerated by RTX cards?
    2) Based on the post above, I am assuming this is more or less for approximating GI for a small area, correct?
    3) How would this work for a procedural level? I couldn't find detailed information about it.
    4) How would it be implemented in an open world first/third person level? Is it even feasible to begin with?

Sorry for the questions, but I am stoked...so please, help me :)

mm_ASH and one_one like this.
  14. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi, jjejj87!

No need of RTX, it can run on any card. For sure it was tested on almost all NVIDIA and AMD cards from last two generations but in theory this should also work on mobile and consoles. Ray-tracing is based on physical colliders, not by real meshes wich are too heavy to do this in realtime.

Yes, this is not a real GI, it is very-very rough and approximate imitation (but also very fast and fully run-time). For sun light it works in small area around, for point and spot lights - well they ware made to cover small areas by their nature. But any huge world is just a set of places where you can setup lighting as you need using this three main types of light sources (no limits by world scale and amout of lights). By my idea this not just a GI library - this asset is a framework, that should take care about all key aspects of lighing in your games, from doom-like corridor based level to huge terrains with caves or even space scale scenes.

It will be a perfect solution for procedural levels. It just does what you expecting (if you provide colliders to your geometry). During last 2 years on this technology we made more than 10 VR games including ones with procedural worlds and complex terrains.

Yes, there is no problem, you can do what ever you want, it should work as expected in almost any conditions.

Sure. Thanks for this questions. Later I will improve documentation according to them. So fill free to ask as many questions as you have =)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  15. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Now you can extract Fast Lights from Ray-Traced components.

v1.1
    * Ray-Traced GI: new button to Create/Destroy set of Fast Lights from internal rays
    * Examples: hide next/prev buttons if you have no scenes in build settings
    * Manual: quality improvements + size reduced

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  16. skinwalker

skinwalker

I'm saving this asset and looking to buy it for indoors and open world VR environments.

Does it work on 2019.4 ?

Can you link the sci-fi environment used in the trailer?

17. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

yep

we build it mostly manually from procedural geometry
    but also there were used this packs

skinwalker likes this.
  18. j_ho_74

j_ho_74

Hi
    "Only HDRP and Standard piplines are supported (does not work with URP pipeline)" see first post.
    I get some errors is I import it in a Standard RP Project, that HDRP is missing.
    Is only HDRP currently supported?

19. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    Sorry for this misunderstanding.
    I am planning to use this thread for all versions of UPGEN Lighing assets.
    Current status is:
    • "UPGEN Lighting HDRP" suppors only HDRP.
    • "UPGEN Lighting Standard" is still on approval from asset store admins.
    • "UPGEN Lighting URP" is in development.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  20. Graham-B

Graham-B

Looks amazing! Would there be a possibility for this to work in a Unity 2018 project?

21. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

yep, I should be backward compatible
    just try and if you will have any troubles - let me know

Graham-B likes this.
  22. cepoimario280135

cepoimario280135

Just Purchased and i was wondering where to modify the RayMatrixSize for the directional light , a ho can a reduce the space between rays with the directional light?

23. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    1. Create a Directional Light
    2. Add Ray-Traced GI component to created Game Object
    3. In this component you can tweak "RaysMatrixSize" property
    It will automatically correct distance between rays according to their count
    But seems you want control that distance manually - i`ll add an extra option for that in coming version

24. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

New setup guide video:

skinwalker likes this.
  25. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

New video how to use this package:

Freznosis and skinwalker like this.
  26. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

"UPGEN Lighting Standard" now is approved and available on Asset Store !

daville and OdderOtter like this.
  27. daville

daville

Any news on the URP version?

28. duncanx

duncanx

Ditto

29. CastryGames

CastryGames

please make for urp , works in mobile?? android example

30. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

still in development

31. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

I am actually dumb maybe to ask this question, but does this lighting tactic works in a similar way as that Lumen (which works completely in real-time without baking light) shown in the recent Unreal Engine 5 demo video?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  32. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Nope, it is very fast and rough technique (I believe that Lumen will do a real and precise calculations). But true is that this method can handle almost any runtime changes of environment like day-night cycle, procedural generated levels, open worlds, massive walls destruction and so on.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Game_DevKH likes this.
  33. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

Just bought the standard version on assetstore! I never have seen real RTX myself implemented into video games. So how does this method compare to NVIDIA RTX? Can you make a video or image comparison?

34. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

RTX is much better =) but much more expensive (in terms of money and performance)
    Almost done with sponza atrium demo. Will publish video soon.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Game_DevKH likes this.
  35. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

New video sponza scene demo:

chingwa, Game_DevKH and skinwalker like this.
  36. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

URP support is in development for forward renderer or are you targeting the deferred renderrer?

37. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

for forward

frbrz and PerunCreative like this.
  38. Migueljb

Migueljb

How does this work with directional lights for large outdoor nature scenes?

39. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Not perfectly. Directional Light produce Ray-Traced GI only in small area around. Depending on scenario (if you have day-night cicle or not), in most cases manual Fast Light placement + ambient light will give better results. Or you need to move Ray-Traced GI with camera.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  40. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

Do you know if Unity built in pipeline supports RTX? If yes, where can we enable it?

41. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

As far as know - no, it does not, only HDRP supports hardware accelerated ray-tracing (for now in preview mode with DX12).

42. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

I am very interested in this, but the listing for the standard version only shows a video for the HDRP version. Can you please post an appropriate video showcasing the standard version?

FireHoseGamesDev likes this.
  43. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

You are right that looks confusing - will update information in video.
    HDRP and Standard versions produce almost same visual results.
    Only difference is internal infostructure and setup for different rendering pipelines.
    So what you have seen in trailer is true for both versions.

44. Vee_Oh

Vee_Oh

@mm_ASH @RadioactiveBullfrog

I also asked the same question about HDRP vs. Standards when looking for access to the Documentation. I took a chance anyways and bought it, and it is really really good. Still waiting for access to the documentation though!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    mm_ASH likes this.
  45. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Sorry about access to documentation. Now should be accessible.

Vee_Oh likes this.
  46. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

What would be really helpful is a tutorial video or two. Your documentation doesn't really give much information on exactly how to do certain things. I mean this for the standard pipeline.

47. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Maybe you can ask that things here? And than I`ll try to wrap that in video.

48. Vee_Oh

Vee_Oh

So I had a little frustrating moment when I first started using this, because my lighting was set to Gamma and not Linear.
    So I got like the faintest result ever and I was super disappointed, until I switched to Linear. Then I couldn't stop smiling. So we have been using it non-stop ever since we got our hands on it. Basically, put the component on the light and enjoy. Thats it.

wetcircuit and mm_ASH like this.
  49. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

Or perhaps you could just do a step-by-step tutorial? I mean it would benefit everybody that purchases your product. What I am telling you is that your documentation is incomplete and that the setup guide and practice video are for a different version of your product. It isn't reasonable for you to expect people to extrapolate one from the other. They may be functionally almost identical under the hood, but getting there is different for each version for the end user.

mm_ASH likes this.
  50. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020