Search Unity

UPGEN Lighting (Standard, HDRP, URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mm_ASH, May 26, 2020.

1. RogDolos

RogDolos

This looks amazing. I have a couple of questions tho:

If I understand correct, UPGEN works as a post-process lighting system on top of Unity's existing lights & lightmaps? So UPGEN does not cast shadows but works okay combined with the different light baking modes like Shadowmask?

Does the URP version work with URP's included post-processing system? Or does it require the other post-processsing stack (I've lost track if that even works anymore)?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  2. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    All your statements are correct.
    1. It works as a post-process lighting system on top of Unity's existing lights & lightmaps - yep
    2. It does not cast shadows but works okay combined with the different light baking modes like Shadowmask - yep
    3. URP's included post-processing system - for URP renderer including it`s postprocessing you should use UPGEN Lighting URP for Built-in renderer with post processing stack you should use UPGEN Lighting Standard. No any other special requirements.

RogDolos likes this.
  3. Skyfly

Skyfly

But UPGEN Standard doesn't support VR, if I read the description right? Do you see a performance gain for URP with really low-end graphics (most simple shaders etc) over doing it with built-in?
    Also, have you tried the URP version on mobile VR? Does it even make sense to test it, or is there no chane it won't add too much ms?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  4. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Yes, you read it right. URP definetly has performance gain against built-in. There is no reasons for today not to use URP especially if you are doing something low-end. Personally I not tested but some customers wrote they tested. If you have doubts just contact me and I`ll send you a trial version.

RogDolos and Skyfly like this.
  5. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

good job , keep it up

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      303.3 KB
      Views:
  6. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

Can i build it to webGL ?

7. dev_cwj

dev_cwj

화면 캡처 2021-11-08 210500.png 화면 캡처 2021-11-08 210500.png
    Plz Help me
    It's not supported URP 7.5.1?

8. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

yes , it require unity 2021 ,and it can not build webGL as i tested

9. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

no, it was not made for WebGL
    No. See Unity version limitations.

10. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

i use URP because it support WEBGL , android :confused:

11. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

As for such low end platforms I think it is better to bake lighmaps and newer use any dynamic lighting.

12. duminju1990

duminju1990

HI @mm_ASH. I'm interested in this asset. May I know if this will be included in this upcoming black friday sale? Also, I'm currently using standard but not sure if I will be moving to HDRP. Is there any package upgrade to other pipeline if I bought Upgen standard?

13. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi =) you want to break all sales strategy to asset store administration =)
    yes it should be )) and yes you can upgrade from one version to another (price is 9.99$)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  14. duminju1990

duminju1990

@mm_ASH. I'm sorry.. I'm new in game development and there will be a lot of stuff to learn & buy. So I have to grab opportunity when it's on sale :p. Thanks a lot for confirming. I'll be sure to grab it (Upgen Standard) during this sale! ;)

mm_ASH likes this.
  15. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

If you or someone else need discount, just contact me on mail, I`ll try help you with that any time.
    I`ll be happy to support other developers, I also was a begginer long time ago ;)

16. duminju1990

duminju1990

Thanks a lot @mm_ASH !!:) I'm truly grateful for your support!! If I ever publish a game out, I'll be sure to credit your name ;)

mm_ASH likes this.
  17. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

I am happy to help. Just make your game come true :)

RogDolos, hopeful and duminju1990 like this.
  18. Sujeto

Sujeto

Hello I just bought upgen for URP and i really like but im having an issue, when i use a fast light the colors and normals disappear or get really gray out in my geometry, I'm using Unity 2020.3.22f1, the lit shader(URP), the ambient light and a directional light for shadows, is there a way to fix this? thanks!

upload_2021-11-15_12-19-23.png
    upload_2021-11-15_12-20-46.png

19. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi! this it because in this unity vertion depth+normals texture is not supported. You need 2021.1+

20. C1B0

C1B0

UPGEN components is not rendered in the 2021.2.2f1 URP.
    Is this a known issue?
    upload_2021-11-17_16-42-34.png

21. C1B0

C1B0

After some additional research, I can confirm that does not work in Unity2021 either.
    I think someone had similar symptoms in a previous post, how did you deal with it?

22. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Usually this was related with wrong setup. For today have zero cases when UPGEN Lighting wont not work by internal reasons. Just check everything once more and check guide. Maybe you forgot to attach render feature or to enable post effects?

23. ryanflees

ryanflees

Hello, I'm using the lastest version UPGen in unity 2020.3.2 HDRP.
    I'm very confused with the Culling Distance as it's not working as expected.
    Some of the lights Culling Distance works good but some don't.
    QQ截图20211119175117.png
    See no matter what numbers I put in this light, it get fades away if I move some away from it maybe like 5~6 meter?
    So I don't know if I could turn the culling off entirely for have it work more responsively.

24. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    It is hard to understand from once screen shot. Maybe you can send me some small scene where I can reproduce this problem?
    Can that be related to amout of fast lights? Some of them should be ignored if you have more that 96 in current frame.

25. HeyMyNameIsVoo

HeyMyNameIsVoo

Hi.
    Per object limit In URP is 8 (max value). Can your asset solve this problem? I need more than 50

26. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

yes asset solves this problem, it has only limit per frame and it is 96 lights (also you can change this constant as you need)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    HeyMyNameIsVoo likes this.
  27. HeyMyNameIsVoo

HeyMyNameIsVoo

Does it work with spotlights?

28. Anisoft

Anisoft

Does this work with urp deferred yet too?

29. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

it does not work with URP deferred.

it work with point and spot lights only (directional light is not supported)

30. Anisoft

Anisoft

Ah okay, will it eventually?

31. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

at least for now - no plans to implement it
    deferred rendering was implemented in Built-In and HDRP versions

32. ryanflees

ryanflees

OK I just uploaded a short video about it.
    See the culling distance parameters not take effects.
    Also there ain't too many lights in the scene yet as I'm still testing.

33. HeyMyNameIsVoo

HeyMyNameIsVoo

Hi. I see limitations again!

It probably does not work with spotlight and point light as you wrote earlier. It work with fast light. See images

Attached Files:

• 01.png
      01.png
      File size:
      335.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.png
      02.png
      File size:
      1,022 KB
      Views:
    • 03.png
      03.png
      File size:
      1,023.9 KB
      Views:
    • 04.png
      04.png
      File size:
      618.1 KB
      Views:
  34. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

1. Try to use only scene view or only game view.
    2. What actual scale of this scene is? This looks super strange that for one small room you are seting distances like 100-400 meters.

35. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

What do you mean not work with spot/point light? One spot/point light produce a lot of fast lights, you can't have so many raytraced lights in one frame becase they will produce hundreds of fast lights and only first 96 will be rendered. Just use UPGEN manager component to debug and see what is really going on in your scene with fast lights.

36. ryanflees

ryanflees

The scene is just a normal scale scene. I upload the project you can take a look if you're interested.
    I'll PM you the link

mm_ASH likes this.
  37. ProGameDevUser

ProGameDevUser

Here is such a thing turns out on the HDRP version, what to do?

Attached Files:

38. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Do not use ray-traced GI compoent with directional light, just place fast lights manually.

39. iceb_

iceb_

If Upgen breaks for you in 2021, it is because in the Forward Renderer configuration, you MUST set Compatibility: Intermediate Texture to "Always"

mm_ASH and hopeful like this.
  40. iceb_

iceb_

There seems to be something strange with how it renders out though in 2021.2.3f1, the Upgen Fast Light seems to be cut off partially, and only showing the left of all light sources. See in pic below, the light should be round, but instead, it's cut off on the right side, and this is the same for all Upgen Fast Lights.

upload_2021-11-23_21-45-12.png

41. iceb_

iceb_

Hi, how do I activate depth and normals with Upgen in 2021?

edit: I see, it is already turned on when using 2021. I suspect that difference is what is causing the light to be rendering weirdly and unevenly. Because the Upgen lights render very evenly when used in Unity 2020.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  42. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    Effect on image could happens when posteffect reconstruct world coordinates from depth texture in a wrong way. To do this I am using Unity function in URP package and my own version in HDRP and Standard packages. Maybe something broken in this algorythm. And just to be clear if we are talking about URP version - it will not work correctly in Unity 2020, there is no such API in that Unity version.

43. iceb_

iceb_

Correct, the problem effect on image is in Unity 2021.2.3f1 URP. I've tested it directly with Unity 2020 URP and it does not have the same problem.

Also I would like to ask, since Unity 2021 version uses Normals, does that mean it will decrease performance as well?

44. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

2020 does not have this problem becase UPGEN lighting URP do not work there =)

Yes rendering of normals texture will cost some performance, same as shadow maps.
    Many other effects like SSAO also need this texture to be rendered each frame. So this is always performance vs visual quality compromise.

45. iceb_

iceb_

Wait what do you mean? I've been using Upgen URP in Unity 2020.3 for a while already.

Would it be possible to add in some toggles to tweak optimization, such as turning off Normals support etc? So far I'm seeing a large drop in performance after upgrading to 2021, still trying to figure out why.

46. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

I mean it should not work on 2020 =)
    no you cant turn off normals rendering because UPGEN lighting use it to reconstruct lighting.

47. iceb_

iceb_

haha weird then, considering it worked more correctly in Unity 2020 (even though it looked a lot more flat in 2020)

48. iceb_

iceb_

I would also like to request a downsampler/blur sliders, to blur it a bit (not sure if it needs upsampler too), because right now when the Upgen Fastlight hits surface normals, it is too harsh and does not emulate light bouncing enough, so some kind of fast performance blurring would help a lot with that.

edit: Maybe after normals are fixed this wouldn't be an issue anymore though.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  49. iceb_

iceb_

Here's another clearer example of the Normals calculation error btw, not only does it seem to not be spherical in range, but it also seems to not be calculating the normals directly for things like rocks. In the pic below, you can see that it should be lighting up the top of the rocks, but instead it is lighting up the side of the rocks.

upload_2021-11-25_12-9-37.png

50. iceb_

iceb_

Doing some additional tests to help visualize the issue. So here, I put in a really strong green light to show the Normals problem. Note the flame barrel at the top is still casting light on the wrong side.

upload_2021-11-25_12-23-3.png

After that, I multiplied the Normal on line 71 of UpgenLighting.shader with -1 to flip it. The lighting from the barrel now looks correct hitting the top of the rocks, but the big green light now has the other side of the lighting cut off instead.

upload_2021-11-25_12-24-4.png

unityunity