Search Unity

UPGEN Lighting (Standard, HDRP, URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mm_ASH, May 26, 2020.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Basically, the planar reflection would need to reflect as a late stage post processing effect? Something like that?

There's always problems of this nature with reflections. AO, SSR, all kinds of post processing are not going to be picked up by the typical reflection shader.

2. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

yep, exactly

3. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,
    I was going through comments and reviews and tbh I was confused if UPGEN suits me or should I stick with Enlighten GI.
    Could you clarify the following confusions:
    1. Do UPGEN lighting look more beautiful than Enlighten GI? Playing demo and seeing screenshots made me believe so (comparing with Enlighten in my scene at least), but then I read, you say that Enlighten is more accurate( and therefore should be better, right?)
    2. Is UPGEN suitable for indoor levels with many rooms and doors, like an apartment building block? I see people saying, that leaking is just way too much, but then I think, I saw you mentioning about some work around. So in the end, is it worth a hassle for indoors?
    3. I'm making an atmospheric horror game with mostly indoor levels for PC, so lighting is very important, but most of light sources are interactive, flickering and/or moving. So is UPGEN suitable for my scenario or is it tailored mostly for procedurally generated levels? Or am I better to level up my Enlighten GI skills?
    ---
    So I love the looks of UPGEN and the fact that I don't have to deal with Generating Lights and Lightmaps, but point #2 is especially concerning to me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  4. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    1. No it is not more beautiful. It is designed for specific goals - fast real time lighting and GI approximation in real time, not real GI as Enlighten does (but price for that - it requires precalculations in editor).
    2. It is perfect for that. You should put light manually in the center of each room, automatic solution yes it is leaking so you need to add more thickness to walls to avoid that.
    3. If you have dynamic especially moving lights is can allow you to do that with minimum GPU cost. It also could be used as an addition to Enligthen.
    If you want - just send me mail and i`ll send you a trial version. Hopefully this help you to understant if its right tool for you needs.

anton88pro likes this.
  5. anton88pro

anton88pro

Thank you for the open, quick answers!:) I've sent your email and would love to test UPGEN. If it can save me time, nerves and even performance for active lights, it would be so great.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  6. arjobmasher

arjobmasher

Hi, I am very interested on buying this. But a Question. Unity built in Light method specifically baked force you need to bake the LOD too or there will be artifacts. If this is Camera based then how does Upgen interact with LODs? Do they work with smooth transition? or they only follow the LOD0? How thank you

7. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    LOD gorup works perfectly - UPGEN do not operate with geometry, it is applied to screen textures after main rendering cycle, so what ever you render LOD0 or LOD7 it will be absolutely fine.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  8. matiasges

matiasges

Hi.
    I'm developing a open world game with several buildings with dark interiors. The light in the interiors work with a switch the players can turn on/off (point lights real time). I just started to notice the drop in performance as I need to have several point lights (the point lights have shadows otherwise the light goes through the wall). Can this asset help me to improve performance having all of those point lights?

9. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

hi
    It is faster than usual point lights but it does not suport shadows.

matiasges likes this.
  10. MrZeker

MrZeker

Hello, I Just bought this asset, but after importing I get this error.

How can I fix this?
    Im using URP.

11. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    What version of URP and Unity are you using?

12. MrZeker

MrZeker

Unity 2019.4.18f1 LTS
    URP 7.5.2

13. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

It is not supported.
    Please read a specs on the AssetStore.
    upload_2021-9-16_7-19-12.png

14. MrZeker

MrZeker

ah crap.

15. brummer

brummer

Can i have any info if i can use the lighting data in amplify, and if i can, how i can achieve this and what is exposed to it?

16. theinlein

theinlein

Has anyone managed to get UPGEN URP Fast Lights working on the Oculus? Any previously working scene, once I add a Fast Light, looks great when I play in the editor, but building to the Oculus renders everything in the scene pink (shader error color) on that device.

17. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

if you mean Amplify Shader Editor - no, UPGEN Lighting is an posteffect, all calculations happens after all rendering

18. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

I hope you mean Oculus Quest. Lets And as far as I know it has pretty agressive validation on the store. For sure you will need all possible optimizations e.g. bake all lighting. Even such lightweight posteffect like UPGEN Lighting could be too heavy to meet required framerate for this platform.

19. yokenstein

yokenstein

Is there a possibility that in the future updates you can enable options for more realistic lighting instead of approximations? I don't really care about the performance cost of it, since I'm just looking for the best realistic results that can be achieved.
    I think having 2 options would be great, 1 for more faster realtime GI for game developers, and 1 option for more realistic lighting like Lumen in Unreal Engine. Is it possible?

20. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

it is not possible, this approach was not made for precise calculations and approximation of GI is a side effect - main idea is to have cheap lighting, why dont you use HDRP + raytracing instead?

21. yokenstein

yokenstein

I would use ray tracing honestly but I don't have a DXR enabled card. Using an AMD GPU

22. Zaddo

Zaddo

Your solution was the best I could find on the asset store for simulating GI and staying performant.

I saw that Upgen URP is only compatible on 2021.1.10. I am currently on 2020.3.11. I read your manual and watched your video's before purchasing. I only want to use the fast light. I was wondering if this on its own, might be compatible with 2020.3.11? I would prefer not to, but if it is incompatible I will need to upgrade.

My game uses Enviro for day/night cycle with colour changes at sunrise/sunset. I intend to use the fast lights in buildings and adjust them based on the angle of the directional light and colour entering the building to simulate GI. Can you see any problems with this approach?

23. yokenstein

yokenstein

Does Upgen work with light layers? It doesn't seem to be working in that way. I set the lights to only affect a certain layer but the fast light scripts seem to be lighting pretty much everything around it instead

24. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

no, it is a posteffect and it has no information about light layers

25. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

unfortunately no, to calculate lighting for rendered scene it needs DepthNormalsTexture.

Zaddo likes this.
  26. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Hey, I took a break from my project for a while, and before then I mainly experimented with the FastGI component, but now I am trying the RayTraced GI components and it's seemingly doing nothing at all.
    The demo scenes work just fine, but in my own scene, the component doesn't seem to do anything.
    Any ideas?
    I have tried the rendering assets you provide with the plugin, but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

27. razzraziel

razzraziel

How does this performs for open world? Lets say on a 4096x4096 terrain with directional light.

28. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

From my understanding, it doesn't work with directional lights at all. But it works well for point and spot lights. And to simulate GI for an entire map, you could manually place "Fast Lights" by hand. It's tedious, but it works!

29. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

What about colliders (they needed for raycasing)?

30. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

it almost not depends on world size
    and yes now it does not produce GI from directional lights - you should place FastGI points manually

31. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Yes, I'm 100% positive there are colliders in my scene. Even if I enable debug rays with the manager component, nothing shows up.

32. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

just to be sure - when you say "colliders" you mean good old non-mesh colliders (boxes, spheres, capsules) which can accept ray-casts right?

33. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Ah! Most (basically all) of my objects have mesh colliders. Does that make the whole system unusable for my app? :(

That being said, I did just test it with some regular cubes, and still no luck.

34. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Hey @mm_ASH I just wanted to follow up about this? I thought mesh colliders can accept raycasts totally fine. Unless I'm wrong? Any help would be greately appreciated!

EDIT: I tested it with cubes that had both box colliders and mesh colliders in a new empty scene and RTGI does work well there. Is there anything that could be conflicting with Upgen in a populated scene? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  35. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi! Almost in all cases RTGI fails because of colliders. Just check demo scenes.
    Check layer masks, collider trigger flags and so on. If you still have problems you can just make a small reproducing scene and send to me so I can try to analyse and debug to understand what is wrong.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  36. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Oh my gosh, apparently I had a giant sphere collider around my entire scene, and everything was operating inside the sphere. Once I removed that, it started working fine! Thank you for the help and insight!

mm_ASH and hopeful like this.
  37. Ironbeast917

Ironbeast917

Hi there! I just bought your asset and I have run into a issue while setting it up. The fast light lights up the area but don't show any color. upload_2021-10-18_17-22-33.png I have disabled ambient lighting in my scene and when I turn the ambient lighting back on it works. upload_2021-10-18_17-21-22.png Is there no way to use the fast lights without any initial lighting or have I not set it up correctly? Any help would be great thanks!

38. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Unfortunately with forward rendering it is impossible to reconstruct albedo color of surfaces on post effects stage. So you need to add ambient lighting to the scene to give at least some info for UPGEN Lighting algorythms.

And one more thought: UPGEN Lighting is made to extend basic lighting not to replace it. So you need to combine it with normal light sources and of cource it is completly bad idea (from design point of view) to not use ambient lighting even if you are making ultra-dark horrors ;) So yes this is technical limitation but you should not feel it if you are doing everything right :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  39. Ironbeast917

Ironbeast917

Ok that's good! I was still planning on having some ambient lighting in my scene I just wanted to make sure I was not setting up the asset incorrectly and compensating for a issue that was of my own error ;)

mm_ASH likes this.
  40. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

UPGEN URP does not work , please refund

41. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Just try with Unity 2021 ;)

42. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

thank for your reply , I tested in unity 2021.1.26f1 , it does not work too , i sent my bill to your email , please refund T.T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  43. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

it does not work in unity 2021.1.10 (URP) , please refund T.T

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      214.2 KB
      Views:
  44. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

can you check it again ? , it does not work with any URP version

45. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

1. It does work, you doing something wrong.
    2. You sould just calm down.
    3. Please stop spamming everywhere and contant Unity Support.

46. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

i contacted , i made the same tutorial you give me , can you make a tutorial video ? i will talk with you until i get back my money , it a big money for me

47. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Why did you decide to spent this big money in a such way?
    Usually when people have doubts they contact me and I am sending them demo versions and helping to test everything they need before actual buy. But as far as you alredy bought an asset - just calm down and spend some time to investigate why it not work for you, because it is for sure work for everybody else here.

48. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

sorry , i am too impatient , i gave you my full project , please check your email , thank ~

49. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Yep you too impatient. Also you should decide what you really want - to refund or you need my help to fix your project. As far as you already asked support to refund (they just confirmed - your request is in processing) why are you sending me your project to check? So please just stop doing random things and try to be adequate.

hopeful likes this.
  50. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

it works , i don't need money anymore , thank for your reply , i will give you 5 stars

Attached Files:

mm_ASH likes this.