Search Unity

UPGEN Lighting (Standard, HDRP, URP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mm_ASH, May 26, 2020.

1. hean

hean

Are there planes to support 2020 vr anytime soon?

2. Kawaine

Kawaine

Hello, was wanting to ask just to make sure that this asset doesn't work with light probes out of the box?

3. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi, yes you are right - it doesn`t.
    Actually fast lights is something witch behaves almost as light probes =)

4. Misaki_eKU

Misaki_eKU

Why gi for point light is not working, only the directional light is working.

5. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

If you mean ray-traced GI - it should work for point lights.

6. cepoimario280135

cepoimario280135

Capture.PNG Im experiencing a similar issue , the system does not seems to work at all , i am currently on HDRP 10.3.2 is this know as incompatible?

UPGEN was indeed added to the Custom Post Process Orders

The only thing that works are generated point lights but they look quite bad

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  7. Misaki_eKU

Misaki_eKU

I think it is working when I use unity 2019, but not working in unity 2020.2

cepoimario280135 likes this.
  8. cepoimario280135

cepoimario280135

Then probably the HDRP version is not supported

9. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

I have same issue but only with built-in point lights, so seems this is something deep inside new renderer, not in UPGEN lighting. Seems it does clustered rendering and calculate lighting inside small rectangles independently so overlapping of many lights produce such artifacts. First of all - try to get rid of all not needed build-in lights and replace them with fast lights. And let me know if that worked for you. Also please use example scenes from UPGEN Lighting package to check if my assumption is correct.

upload_2021-3-8_16-41-34.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  10. newguy123

newguy123

Hi
    Pre-sales question

Can the HDRP version work with forward rendering, or it only works with deferred?

11. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

hi, it work only with deffered

12. CastryGames

CastryGames

fast light not work in mobile device, i have Xiaomi Redmi note 9 pro

13. CastryGames

CastryGames

14. CastryGames

CastryGames

15. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

sad to hear that, I have not tested it on mobile devices, in theory it should work but on practice some tuning need to be done for such platforms

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  16. mick129

mick129

I saw that the URP version was postponed for this year, is it possible to have some news about it? I hesitate to switch to URP and the main reason is the poor lightning :)
    Also I saw that URP will have forward, forward+ and deferred rendering, do you still plan to focus only on the forward rendering?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  17. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!
    URP is still in plans ...
    But no exact dates right now. Will have call with Unity engineers tomorrow, maybe we will agree on something. Any way will let you know if we will start to port this tech to URP.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Lars-Steenhoff and mick129 like this.
  18. CastryGames

CastryGames

'pllease work on mobile

mm_ASH likes this.
  19. Bartosz-Bieszka

Bartosz-Bieszka

Great lighting, perfect performance in HDRP but lights will support specular in future?

20. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

no, idea was to remove specular highlights and make possible to fullfill areas with hundreds of them

21. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Can nothing be done about light leaking through walls? How are you meant to shine a light on the wall?

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  22. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

if light is located in another room - just disable it
    otherwise only wall thickness can help

23. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at your demo examples and could see it leaking on the floor. My scene is open world and so I'm still hoping to find a better solution. Would using a cookie help at all or using an IES profile for a lamp that is attached/close to a wall or can this issue not be solved?

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  24. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Unfortunately cookie texture only can help with unity light sources, fast lights does not use it (it is too expensive).

25. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe it would help to use a higher density of smaller fast lights near colliders?

wetcircuit likes this.
  26. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

I have enclosed some images to make it clear what I am talking about. When I turn UPGEN on, the UPGEN lighting is passing through walls, which does not make sense to me?

Attached Files:

27. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Raytraced GI actually produce a lot of many fast lights. That the reason of leaking on your images.

28. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Whether I use 1 Raytraced GI spot light or if I add 4 fast lights I can still see the light leaking through onto the other wall?

29. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

yes (spot light with raytraced GI produce 50 fast lights by default)

30. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

It doesn't matter if it is 1 fast light or 50 it still goes through the wall for another player to see, like you said it is more obvious with more fast lights. Can UPGEN not be fixed, so that it behaves the same as a Unity light and does not let light pass through walls/objects?

31. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

no, it is part of the algorithm

32. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

upload_2021-5-11_3-48-33.png
    URP version .. almost done

33. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

I did even more black magic =) It approximates lighting with Forward Renderer without GBuffer information.
    upload_2021-5-11_3-49-47.png

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    hjohnsen and newguy123 like this.
  34. SOSolacex

SOSolacex

Are there any videos out there that compare performance with unity lighting vs UPGEN lighting FPS? I am mainly looking for realtime lighting related assets because I want to maximize my performance on a world created by Gaia.. of which shadows are quite a detriment to my FPS. I've got a procedural sky with a daytime cycle thus I can't exactly bake my lights.

35. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

There is no such video.
    Overal Fast Lights are much faster. For realtime lighting in open worlds you will need to do some compromises.
    Out of the box RaytracedGI for DirectLight is tracing in a small area around its position. So you need to modify this somehow for you case. Maybe in future I`ll implement something more advanced for such cases, but for now manual placement of many fast lights on terrain + ambient lighting is a good compromise in term of visuals and performance.

36. SOSolacex

SOSolacex

Ah that's a shame. Was hoping I found an asset that'd help me with the procedural sky's performance. Thanks for the reply.

37. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

This post is related to those guys, who are waiting for URP version.
    I mostly done work on UPGEN Lighting URP. So if you want to get early version - just contact via mail - I`ll send you alpha verions of package.

But for now I am little bit stuck and need better understand your needs to prioritize my work.
    I made UPGEN Lighting for URP v11. Which supports only forward renderer. Some things was made in very tricky way e.g. reconstruction of Albedo buffer. As you probably know - URP v12 is coming (with Unity 2021.2) and it has major changes. First - light sources will support color temperature and light units, so I`ll need to change code of RayTracing GI and other related component to correctly handle this features. Also finally it has a preview of Deferred renderer. For Deferred path I need to rewrite everithing once more to make ligting less approximate.

So what is more important to have for your project?
    1. Support of URP v11 (current version)
    2. Suport of URP v12 in Forward path (with support of new Light Source features)
    3. Support of URP v12 in Deferred path

38. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not using URP, but my impression is that those who are will be upgrading to v12. Probably to take advantage of deferred lighting.

mm_ASH likes this.
  39. Bartosz-Bieszka

Bartosz-Bieszka

will HDRP version support in future forward rendering?

blueivy and newguy123 like this.
  40. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

there are no such plans for now

41. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

#2 (URP v12 forward path) is my first preference. I generally prefer forward for support for semi-transparent objects and easier custom lighting. The updates for v12 look exciting!

Support for the new deferred in URP would be great, but I figure you might want to wait until the deferred path is more settled before you try to have your asset support it just yet.

hopeful and mm_ASH like this.
  42. MostHated

MostHated

Does this work on a Linux editor? I only ask because, unfortunately, it seems many tools are just Windows only.

43. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

never tried, but it shold be ok

44. jjejj87

jjejj87

Hello there, I am trying to use Upgen with 2021.1 HDRP11,

It seems like only the sample scenes work and not in my own scene (Yes I added the Manager, custom pass order)
    Raytraced GI adds 1 GI and no fast lights
    and the same for Fast GI

Fast GI itself works fine...

Also strange thing is all sample scene lights have extreme values, the lumen value for point light is set to 400000 instead of 400 for example but it doesn't go crazy in the sample scenes but when I put 400000 in my scenes ofc it goes super bright. And it is not exposure settings related.

Can you kindly check if UPGEN is fully functional in 2021.1? Not just checking sample scenes (it works in mine as well) but another scene. I sense something is going on. Can't really pin point it though

EDIT: Just checked on a fresh project with UPGEN imported. Still the same. So I am 100% certain that UPGEN doesn't work with HDRP11 2021.1.

Could you kindly look into this so that I can refund if 2021/HDRP11 is not supported? I am hoping it is a simple fix but if not I would like to look into other options. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  45. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hello!
    you were right, I see a problem
    seems it all related to changes in HDRP light units
    will fix this ASAP

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  46. jjejj87

jjejj87

Thank you! Much appreciated.

47. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

* UPGEN Lighting URP v1.0 (is submitted for review and should be approved during next few weeks)
    * UPGEN Lighting Standard v2.0 (is available now)
    * UPGEN Lighting HDRP v2.0 (is available now)

Standrad / HDRP v2.0 Changes:
    • Fast Light: added Subtractive feature
    • Fast Light: added Soft Culling feature
    • Fast GI: added Soft Culling feature
    • Ray-Traced GI: added Soft Culling feature
    • Ray-Traced GI: removed support of Directional Light
    • Framework: removed old stereo-rendering support
    • Framework: increased overall performance
    • Framework: a lot of small tweeks in lighting magic numbers to provide correct visual results
    URP v1.0 Features:
    • Fast, works in Forward Rendering path
    • All features of HDRP and Standard v2.0 will be available from start
    • VR support (more testing needed right now)
    • URP 12 will be supported right after release of Unity 2021.2
    More about new feature:

Subtractive Fast Lights

All lighting from Fast Light with this flag will be subtracted from the final result of screen pixel. This could be used to remove unwanted leaking artefacts in some areas or to create darkness visual effect.

Soft Culling of Fast Lights
    If distance from current camera to light is big enough - will be applied soft fading of Fast Light to provide extra performance on big scenes.

Soft Culling of Fast GI / RayTraced GI
    If distance from current camera to light is big enough - will be applied soft fading of all Fast Lights and basic light itself. This will save a lot of performance as far as it turns off not only GI with ray-tracing but also turns off lights with their shadow casters.

Future plans for next updates:
    • Fully automatic realtime GI for Directional Lights on huge landscapes
    • Culling system for indor locations
    • Light animations / behaviours
    • VR support for HDRP version

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    nirvanajie, mick129, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  48. Necka_

Necka_

Hi there,
    Saw this on the store and I was wondering a few things

My scene is currently a big house with a garden. The directional light doesn't move or change.
    Indoor, the player can change materials of the walls and floor. The walls can also be destroyed

1 - I've read that if materials change we can use a method to clear the cache. I can trigger that on demand but will it be a big change on the scene like a light flickering or players would not notice the cache reset?

2 - As it is a house with doors and walls, I've read that fast light do not know about geometry. So should I only use Raytraced lighting? (If for example the player is in a room with a few candle lights that are red lights I don't want the red light to leak to the other room)

3 - As I said the walls can be destroyed, is it again something that would be only achieved with ray traced lights?

I fear that in my case I can't take advantage of the Fast lights... But I'd like to know your point of view/ideas

49. mm_ASH

mm_ASH

Hi!

1. no it will be just under hood, no visual deffects

2. btw Ray-traced GI light is also leaking, but you can use many approaches. Super robust and super performant and super rough is to put in the center of each room one Fast Light and change it accordingly to room material main color from script. If you have ehought wall thickness, everything will be ok. Plus you can cull it using scripts. Another more precise and automatic way is to put point/spot light with Ray-Tracing. This will produce hundreds of Fast Lights in real-time. But just as you mention - after changing walls color you need to clear cache from script.

3. yep, this is an easiest way. But scrpting can give you more performance, e.g. after removing walls you can jsut spawn there small Fast Lights to approximate light propagation.

If you have doubts contact me on mail, I`ll send you a trial version.

50. zelmund

zelmund

can it be run on Unity 2019 ?