Search Unity

Updating Unity "May require re-import" ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by IngeJones, Feb 19, 2017.

1. IngeJones

IngeJones

What does it mean when you update Unity to a newer version and when you go to open your project it says "may require re-import"? There doesn't seem to be an import option that I can see, only Open for a project. It invariably reports compiler errors when opening a project in a new version of Unity, so I guess it would have preferred me to "re import" but I don't know how.

Nuclear_x likes this.
  2. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

You can re-import your project by going to Assets > Reimport all.

When Unity is updated, it might need to re-import to make sure the project works in the new version. For example, some old scripts might be automatically corrected to work in the newest version. If your project is large, reimporting can take a while.

akast07, bediitaner and Nuclear_x like this.
  3. IngeJones

IngeJones

Are you saying Unity will reimport when necessary without me choosing some particular option to do so?

4. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Yes, it is done automatically - and an update to Unity very often requires 're-import', which not only may update scripts etc but may re-import/re-compile shaders (which can take quite some time).

bediitaner and IngeJones like this.
  5. IngeJones

IngeJones

Ah right. The warning was a little confusing, it didn't make it clear it was something that would be taken care of for me.

6. Cous

Cous

Do you have to "re-import all" for every scene or just on one of your scenes in a project?

7. rjj7711

rjj7711

Thanks for the info ... i am getting that message but when i open the file, Unity crashes. thoughts?

8. ProbeShift

ProbeShift

same thing happening to me... did you find the solution?

9. Craftingexpert1

Craftingexpert1

It crashed for me too

10. issytdm

issytdm

When mine crashed I restarted the computer waited a bit tried it again waited a bit and it eventually worked. It took a while though to work.

11. ismiregal99990

ismiregal99990

i have this error with every URP project i created. even if i create one. unity shows me an error to re-import a shader file when managing packages. when i click continue it crashes. i searched all over the internet and im still stuck. i am really frustrated and dont know what to do.

12. ismiregal99990

ismiregal99990

this has been going on since 4 days.

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I trust that you rebooted after the first day! Perhaps I misunderstood. What version of Unity?

14. unity_FD1821F4223A733F6BF7

unity_FD1821F4223A733F6BF7

Hello, I am a different person, but mine keeps popping up the same thing I click continue, and it seems like it will open The Project, but instead, after a few seconds, it will crash. I was on Unity Editor 2021.3.9f, but I just upgraded to Unity Editor 2021.3.10f. If you have any way you can fix this please tell me. (Can you please make it in detail since I am not very used to the UI of Unity.)

15. ivan_tsygankov

ivan_tsygankov

Is it possible for someone to send a vid on how to do it?

16. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Just google and follow directions on the Unity install site.

ISSUES RELATED TO UPGRADING PROJECTS (eg, using a higher Unity version)

Upgrading to a later version of Unity is a one-way process. Any project that has been updated should NEVER be reverted to an earlier version of Unity because this is expressly not supported by Unity. Doing so exposes your project to internal inconsistencies and breakage that may actually be impossible to repair.

If you want to upgrade to a newer version of Unity, do not even consider it until you have placed your project fully under proper source control. This goes double or triple for non-LTS (Tech Stream) versions of Unity3D, which can be extremely unstable compared with LTS.

Once you have source-controlled your project then you may attempt a Unity upgrade. Immediately after any attempted upgrade you should try to view as much of your project as possible, with a mind to looking for broken animations or materials or any other scripting errors or runtime issues.

After an upgrade you should ALWAYS build to all targets you contemplate supporting: iOS and Android can be particularly finicky, and of course any third party libraries you use must also "play nice" with the new version of Unity. Since you didn't write the third party library, it is up to you to vet it against the new version to make sure it still works.

If there are issues in your testing after upgrading Unity, ABANDON the upgrade, revert your project in source control and be back where you were pre-upgrade with the earlier version of Unity.

Obviously the less you test after the upgrade the more chance you will have of an undiscovered critical issue.

This risk of upgrading is entirely on you and must be considered whenever you contemplate a Unity version upgrade.

Do not upgrade "just for fun" or you may become very unhappy.