Search Unity

Updating Unity caused disconnect with PlayerPrefs in Windows Registry

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Rajmahal, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hi,

I'm running into a very serious issue with my existing game on Steam. I updated to Unity 2018.1.4f1 and when I created a new build for it, the updated build does not use the same PlayerPrefs in the windows registry. Instead it creates a completely new set of registry entries even through the publisher name and application name is unchanged. As such, I'm not able to push out an update for my existing customers as it would cause them to lose all of their saved data.

When I look at windows registry using regedit, I see that there are two identically named folders in the publisher folder. One with the previous playerprefs and one with the new ones (which are mostly empty). I've gone through my build settings repeatedly and I can't find what might have changed to trigger this.

registry issue.PNG

From the image, you can see that within Wave Light Games Inc. (publisher) folder there are two folders for the game (Demon's Rise: Lords of Chaos). The two names are identical and there are no extra spaces after the name. Is there anything else that might be triggering this issue other than player settings?

Please help as I'm completely unable to do an update for the game until I can figure out this issue.

2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

This is definetly a bug, but also at the same time it's impossible to have identical folders in registry, so probably at least one symbol is different. What about symbol ' are you sure it's the same ? Try copying the name to text editor and inspect the hex.

Rajmahal likes this.
  3. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Okay, thanks ... I'll do that. I didn't know that registry folders have to have a different name so there must be some kind of hidden character or something.

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Thank you!!! I used an online text compare tool and the issue is that the apostrophe in the word "Demon's" is slightly different:

text compare.PNG

Tomas1856 likes this.