Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Updating one object that then updates all prefabs

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DVass, Oct 5, 2011.

1. DVass

DVass

Hey,

I recently watched a video on 3DBuzz that showed a way that you can edit a prefab and then send those changes to all the other prefabs. However, I can't find the video and googling didn't help much so I just wanted to ask how do you do this?

Thanks

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There are two methods for doing this.

One is to edit the property in the prefab itself in the project window. This should propagate the changes to all prefabs that have not been over-ridden (I'll get to that later)...

The other is to change the property in a single prefab. If you don't "apply" changes, that property will be considered "unique" and will override changes to the prefab. The title of the property will become bold.

If you "apply" the changes, that property will no longer be considered unique and all of the changes will be propagated to all prefabs except for properties that have been over-ridden in any given prefab.

taxvi likes this.
  3. WarpZone

WarpZone

Just to spell it out for anybody who gets dumped here by google, you "apply" the changes by clicking the "apply" button next to the word Prefab near the top of the Inspector.

Also, this doesn't apply to Transforms. So when you click Apply, all the transform values will go bold (meaning they're custom values now, different from the prefab,) even as the other components of your prefab all stop being bold (indicating that they now match the prefab and will inherit changes from it.)

4. LostInCode404

LostInCode404

That's exactly what I wanted. Everyone was telling to "apply" while no one telling where tf is the apply button.

5. WarpZone

WarpZone

Welcome to Unity Forums. Where people who know what they're doing are sick and tired of answering the same question over and over again that's already been answered in an earlier thread, but the people asking the question are only doing so because google keeps prioritizing the most recent answer as opposed to the correct answer.

(The solution would be for every single thread asking the question to post a hyperlink to the older, correct answer (instead of just saying "look it up" or "this has already been answered" or whatever) so SEO can kick in, but sadly not enough people do that.)

6. daviddf1

daviddf1

If some "people who know what they are doing" (who obviously forgot what is it like to be a noob or were born with unity3d up their a..s) are now "sick and tired of answering the same questions over and over again" .... then why do they answer them? If you are going to answer an already asked and answered question, do it with grace, understanding and a spirit of helpfulness or Do Not. Your arrogant butt is under no obligated to answer. Adding another half answered and totally useless post to the googled lot only raises the chances that the same thing will happen again making you sicker and even more tired..

dezzaj likes this.
  7. WarpZone

WarpZone

I couldn't quite figure out the tone of your reply, or whether you intended it to be directed at me or the community or what, until it suddenly dawned on me that maybe you think I'm one of the people who knows what they're doing.

Hahahahahaha. No.

I'm just old.

I've seen this process repeat itself several times. I've seen old threads that explained something disappear and be replaced by threads saying "look it up," not realizing that people only ended up in the current thread about the subject because they did look it up, and google measures veracity in terms of SEO and recency, not accuracy. If a youtube video about pregnant Elsa fidget spinners had good SEO and had the words "updates all prefabs" in the title and description, it would probably supplant this thread in search results. That's just the way the internet works these days. Nothin' you can do about it.

8. mdg1019

mdg1019

Not you. Just somebody who'd rather be rude than helpful. It's called a troll.