Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Updating no longer possible?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by transat, Jan 14, 2020.

1. transat

transat

I'm on 2020.1a18.
    1) The online asset store no longer shows me which assets I own have been updated.
    2) The in-app asset store no longer works.
    3) The Package Manager has no way to filter by packages needing to be updated.
    4) The "sorting" appears to be mostly random as far as I can tell.
    5) I'm looking at a package that the store has listed at v1.36 (released a couple of days ago) and the Package Manager is listing it at 1.31 and refusing to let me update.

What the heck is going on? Is this not a pretty major issue? :(

2. manu73

manu73

Unity Technologies

Hi @transat !

Did some test on 2020.1.0a18,
    Here my results:
    For 1) this is a regression bug, it works well on 2019.3.0f4, I will fill a bug
    For 2) not sure what is 'in-app asset store', can you explain more? Are referring to the Asset Store Window?
    For 3) I don't think it's a bug, "My Assets" on the web doesn't have this feature as well. But it's in fact an interesting feature. I will pass the info to the team.
    For 4) Sorting them work on my side, which specific sorting are you referring to?
    For 5) this is due to regression bug, will be fixed soon I hope.

Regards,
    Manuh73

3. transat

transat

Ouch. Way to go Unity quality control! That’s a fair few regression bugs. :-/

1) cool. Cheers
    2) yes - meant the now killed-off embedded version of the store
    3) it’s a regression bug because the online version did have this feature until recently
    4) tried sorting by “date updated” and got quite random results. Not sure what date is being used but it’s definitely not the date the assets received an update by its developers not us it the date I last clicked on “update” for a particular asset.
    5) cheers

@manu73 Thanks for your response and for letting me know a fix is on the way! Can you provide me with issue # when you get the chance, so that I can track the progress and harass you guys again in a few months? :)

4. manu73

manu73

Unity Technologies

@transat

I made a mistake in my report, for 1) I was referring to regression bug in Package Manager "My Assets", (which is fact is your point 5) )
    I think the "Recently Updated" sorting in the online "My Assets" should do the trick but effectively, I don't understand the returned results... it doesn't seem to be properly ordered. I will check with A$ team.

Regards,
    Manuh73

5. transat

transat

“My assets” no longer had “recently updated”, so it won’t do the trick. This was removed a a few weeks ago.

6. manu73

manu73

Unity Technologies

@transat

"My Assets" on the online Asset Store still have "Recently updated" in sort filter.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 17.28.21.png

Regards,
    Manuh73

7. transat

transat

@manu73 That is the sort order and actually refers to assets having been recently updated in the store. I own over 1000 assets. So if I set that dropdown to 'recently updated' it shows me all of the Synty assets towards the top, for example. These assets haven't actually been updated in a year but the developer changed a line in the description to let users know they have a new pack out. I have zero need to update those items.
    However... there used to be a checkbox under 'Status' to the right of that which would show me which of my downloaded assets require updating. That is now gone. It disappeared a few weeks ago.
    Worse still, there is still currently no way for me to easily find out which assets in a project require updating. It's 2020 and Unity still doesn't seem to think this is an important feature. Quite embarrassing. It's actually a bit of a show-stopper for a lot of users and it baffles me that this isn't the #1 priority for UT.

8. transat

transat

By the way, when you guys did your UAT on the Package Manager, did you set yourselves up with an average internet connection and then place yourselves in the shoes of a user who has over 1000 assets (ie the kind of user who should be super valued)? And did you then try cycling through that list of 1000+ assets, slowly downloading the list 100 items at a time? Did the user testers find that experience acceptable?

9. manu73

manu73

Unity Technologies

Hi!

So if I understand you clearly, what you want is to see "imported" asset store assets in your project and easily see if there's an available update for it.
    I will pass the info to the team to check if it's feasible to display in "in Project" tab, "imported" A$ assets.

SugoiDev and transat like this.
  10. transat

transat

Great. Thanks. But so funny/sad that you guys haven't considered this as an essential feature. My guess is that no one at UT bothered to test the valued-customer-who-owns-over-1000-assets scenario.

11. transat

transat

I also would like to be able to easily see a list of all my assets without it taking me 10 minutes, if you can pass that on. Especially considering the list is reset (and goes back to being a list of 19 items!) if i enter anything in the search box (which by the way should ideally not start searching until after I've typed in at least 3 characters). The Package Manager should ideally also give me the option of restricting my searches to Package titles because right now the search results are very very random. :)

AskCarol likes this.
  12. AskCarol

AskCarol

Noted! And shared :)

13. transat

transat

Also, the up/down arrows really don't work here, from a UX perspective.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.03.07 pm (2).png

For fun, ask 20 random people which option they would pick to see the most recent updates or the most recent purchases. :)

14. transat

transat

Unless you're planning on doubling the number of Unity packages available, the "In Project" option is only of minimal use (it saves me 1.5 seconds of scrolling a reasonably small list). And as I'll go check the "All" option regardless - because there's no other way of knowing if that Unity package I've been waiting for is finally out of preview - the 1.5 seconds are quickly eaten up by the few seconds taken to reload the list as I switch from one option to the other. So really this option as it is wastes my time at best.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.08.26 pm (2).png

However... If "In Project" actually showed all packages in my project, regardless of whether they are Unity packages or Asset store packages, that would actually save me (and other users!) time... with the added bonus of actually delivering on what its label promises (bonus UX points!).

15. transat

transat

But before you do any of that I would appreciate it if you made it so that "My Assets" in Package Manager in 2020.1.0a24 actually worked. ie. if it showed the correct release dates, version numbers, and even - let's be daring - the correct versions.

Here's a scenario:
    I use asset store asset X which briefly broke after changes to shadows were done in URP 7.1.8 without any developer being alerted to the impending breaking change.
    The developer sent me a fix. It worked.
    Then the developer sends the fix to Unity. Eventually UT puts the new asset up on the online store. I can see it there. The version number is above the latest one I had before things broke.
    So I open the Unity editor, order My assets by latest updates and see X at the top of my list. Below it, I see an assets which were updated yesterday - so I know it's the latest version of X I'm being shown, even if the version number listed is still the older one, right?
    I take the risk and click on import. Surely it has to be the latest version.
    Whoops. Unity has just overwritten the version that was actually working (thanks to the developer's fix) with the previously broken (thanks to UT) version.

That scenario occurred a few minutes ago. And it is just one more sign that you guys don't test the Package Manager at all. You rely on users like me to take the time to take screenshots, report bugs, etc. That's fine when the bugs are unforeseen. But in this case they're only unforeseen in that you guys clearly don't bother looking for them at all.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  16. transat

transat

I've now fixed the above problem by opening up a blank project in 2019.3, updating the packages there and then going back to 2020 to import them. Only took me 30-45 minutes. :(

While I'm at it, I'd like a filter to only see URP compatible packages if I'm in a URP project. That filter should be enabled by default. Do you ask asset developers to confirm what version their package works with? I hope you do. That would be valuable information to communicate to users if you want to save them additional headaches on top of the ones you're already causing.

17. transat

transat

I've noticed that asset store updates do in fact show up in 2020.1.0a25. It just takes about 10 minutes for this to happen. And then again some still show the incorrect version but maybe I need to wait 10 more minutes for those. How impatient am I?! Or... One more sign that no one is testing the valued-user-who-has-loads-of-asset-store-purchases scenario.

EDIT: spoke too soon. A few minutes after clicking on "update" for these assets, they are now showing the old version numbers again. Afraid to click on import now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  18. ippdev

ippdev

I have tried 5 times to update Azure Sky from 4.0.2 to 6.0.2. It downloads the package and then reverts immediately not allowing me to import the 6.0.2 version. Get it together guys. The fellow explaining the problem reported this in March. Do you folks spend too much time on the slide and in the cafeteria or do you actually work and test this stuff. The amount of trouble this application has put me through in the last several days has taken a good 40 hour work week. If I didn't own a few hundreds assets and have 10 years in the engine I would be over downloading Unreal right now. FFS!!! I am angry. Stop hiring enterprise coders and get some real game engine engineers working for you.

19. transat

transat

@ippdev I've actually reported this much much earlier than March. Maybe a year ago. I've reported it a number of times since. Wasted another 10 minutes today. So don't hold your breath. Tips regarding downloading the latest version of what you're after...

- Find Azure Sky on your computers' Asset-Store folder and delete it. Then relaunch your editor and go back to the PM.
    - As for waiting ages for updates to show, what sometimes seems to correctly trigger the correct version is if you switch the PM to the "In Project" tab and then back to "My Assets" though this might have to be done in combination with a long wait. Hitting refresh (accessible via clicking on the refresh icon two times because the dividing line between it and the dropdown arrow is just for show) doesn't appear to be of any help here.

Out of curiosity, is your Asset-Store folder symlinked as per Unity's official 2013 recommendation for people who would like the choice not to have it clog up their limited laptop HD space?

20. transat

transat

You can also do what I do and look at Unreal tutorials as you wait for the editor to show you assets you bought. ;)

BradZoob likes this.
  21. ippdev

ippdev

I simply went back to the other version that did let me download it and copied and pasted that folder into the new project. The previous version blew up for no good reason. I changed the wheel colliders in the motorcycle hierarchy and added two members to a List and hit play and kaboom. The sky was black, the 36 terrains and their trees disappeared and the motorcycle blew about 20 meters up into the empty scene. I could have rebuilt this in Unreal for all the trouble fiddling about and resetting and rebuilding things. Those with jobs at Unity need to realize it ain't always gonna be a gravy train and do their damned job properly and with diligence. If i was a manager there there would be some asses flying out the door. They drove me onto poverty with a physics bug that persisted from December through March. Kept cutting and pasting really bad boiler plate advice to over 100 bug reports till one of the long timers saw my complaint on the forums and apologized profusely. Didn't refill the bank account nor have the publisher knocking on my door like he did in early December and promised a January release. The physics bug was found right where I told them..i the broadphase..back in December. Then covid 19 psy-op hit and even freelance money was nowhere. I am gonna miss the top season for the Tail Of The Dragon [that is what this game is and I am the only one who can use that trademark for a game]..again..I am 95% of the way and Unity throws a monkey wrench in the works. Been happening over and over for 10 years. I am fed up.

22. ippdev

ippdev

Hah. Look at my post I wrote while you posted that. I am seriously looking at moving the two games over to Unreal due to this slack cross-eyed bozo the clown BS going on at Unity. I missed a publisher deadline i could have easily hit for Cyclotronica http://monumentalartseng.com/cyclotronica . This game "Tail Of The Dragon" is one of the most famous motorcycle runs in the world and considered top ten by Road and Track magazine. I have rights to make a game from the trademark and have been kept alive with money by a friend who nows the fellow who owns the store and trademark at the beginning of the run. The Steam account is already set up and i am complaining on these forums instead of finishing either one because Unity is not effing democratizing game making for me. It's giving me a bloody aneurism. I got a steam account in my head and it's comin' out my ears right now.

23. transat

transat

Yes. I've had endless frustrations and wasted countless hours. But I'm currently on an alpha version so not in the best position to complain about stability. What I can complain about though are the many fundamental UX fails that get ignored even when they're reported. I'm usually a super zen person but probably come across as a grumble-bum on these forums. The real problem with Unity is one of bad management: bad planning, bad processes, no UAT, poor comms, etc. I think most of the in-house developers are usually doing their best amidst all of this.

Regarding Azure Sky... I'm actually using the latest version in my project and it's working fine for me.

BradZoob likes this.
  24. ippdev

ippdev

Azure sky rocks. That is why it was so frustrating not being able to get it back in the scene. I am downloading Unreal now after spending another hour plus cleaning out the C Drive to make room for its atrociously sized install. I got a nasty bumping issue about once a second and some GFX SemaPhore wait for signal crap chewing up 106 milliseconds came out of nowhere today. Gonna try converting the terrains to meshes and lose a month of planting roadside detail vegetation on the terrains..If that don't fix this crap that game is going over to Unreal. I can learn that quicker than i can working around this shoddy crap..oh..and while I typed that sentence Unity crapped out and crashed to the desktop with no bug reporter.. It was actually performing about the same with no crashes in the 5.5x series than in 2020.1.0b8. It was just as bad as now in the 2019.3.x series.