Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Updating Hub from 2.4.1 to 3.5.1 fails with error: unable to uninstall old application files

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Brettski, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Brettski

Brettski

NOTE: There is a typo in the title. The current installed version of Unity Hub is 3.4.1. I was unable to determine how to update the title.

I haven't run Unity Hub in a few months and am working on updating things. I am currently running Unity Hub 3.4.1 and have a message on the top of the hub which reads: "Hub V3.5.1 is now available and will install after restarting."

I click the `Restart now` button
    Click `Yes` to the UAC dialog

After a couple minutes an error dialog is shown:
    upload_2023-8-31_18-46-10.png

What steps are needed to upgrade the hub?

Running Windows 11 (22H2) Pro

-----
    I downloaded UnityHubSetup.exe and executed it. The installation starts, runs for a moment and shows the error:
    upload_2023-8-31_19-53-13.png

Clicking Retry results in the same error again.
    Clicking Cancel results in the first error.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    najaa3d likes this.
  2. Brettski

Brettski

I ended up uninstalling the Hub which of course uninstall the editors I had installed. After everything finished I rebooted the system. The latest version of Unity Hub installed as expected along with the editors. Now to reconfigure all the things.

najaa3d likes this.
  3. najaa3d

najaa3d

Getting SAME ISSUE HERE, but currently have Hub 3.4.2 -- but I do not want to re-install all of my Editors (AGAIN). Earlier this year, I did what you did, and lost all my Editors. I don't want to do this AGAIN.

I'm also on Windows 11 Pro, 10.0.22621. Maybe this has to do with Windows 11?

I'm hoping Unity will provide a good fix for this before I am forced to update the Hub.

Brettski likes this.
  4. SoleTick

SoleTick

For the past year, every time I update my Unity Hub using the "Restart Now" option in the Hub, it first deletes all of the Unity Hub files, then sends the "Unable to uninstall old application files. Please try running the installer again." message. Every time I want to update Unity Hub, I have to download a new Unity Hub Setup file and run that to reinstall it. It's annoying, but manageable.