Search Unity

Question Updating Hardware Components to Enhance Unity Editor Performance

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Shereenh, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Shereenh

Shereenh

I use Unity with HDRP-not for gaming. (There is no play option, I need rendering the scene, editing, applying materials and building asset bundles)
    However, when Unity starts, the UI elements appears slowly. Also it hangs while editing and later it stops responding. I use Laptop with following specs:
    Intel i5 3rd generation
    Intel integrated HD graphics 4000
    SSD kingston 240 GB
    6 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
    According to your experience, what is to be changed urgently and had the highest priority until I can afford replacing my laptop by a new one.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Hi. Sadly i would have to say IMHO your laptop is very underpowered for unity HDRP in all of the aspects you have listed, apart from Windows 10 Pro which is fine. I personally use the following which is quite low powered compared to many of the dev machines people describe on this forum:

32gb ram (16 probably ok)
    Geforce 1070m
    I7-6700hq

I suppose if you really don't ever actually need to view or render the scene (no play button, no game view, no scene view) then maybe you could get away with less. But as soon as you are drawing 3d HDRP content you are going to want a fast discrete graphics card.

3. Shereenh

Shereenh

I apologise my question was not clear enough.
    I am asking as right now I can't afford those high specs all at once. I mean what is to be changed urgently and had the highest priority.
    Thank you.

4. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

It is unlikely that you can change individual components in a laptop. But if this is possible for you then personally the first thing i would do is get a better GPU. Good luck with your project