Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

UpdateScreenManagerAndInput & Unaccounted Time

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Discord, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Discord

Discord

If I open a new project in Unity 5.6.3p1, I can run the profiler in a new, empty scene and see the following spikes.

These spikes are very noticeable in-game. Does anyone else have this issue, and is there a fix? This happens in completely new, empty projects, so it's nothing in my project.

B0M likes this.
  2. geroppo

geroppo

Oh man these past several days I've been searching for a solution to this. I'm on unity 5.5 and thought that maybe it was fixed (IF there is something to fix...) in newer versions, but it seems not. This also happens in a completely empty project. Unfortunately the only thing that came out of google was this thread: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/profiler-spikes-updatescreenmanagerandinput.431469/

But nothing came out of it. Some guy supposedly created an issue with case number 836019, but I cannot seem to find it in the issue tracker section.

3. Discord

Discord

I also can't really find anything online, which seems crazy since there doesn't seem to be a workaround. It'd be great to hear something from one of the Unity guys.

4. Discord

Discord

Bump.

5. Discord

Discord

Bump.

6. zephyo

zephyo

I too have this issue with Unity 2017.1.0f3 using Mac. 'Unaccounted' errors could be due to Mac according to previous threads? Some fixed it with the default layout but it had little result for me.

7. Discord

Discord

I'm on Windows and I'm seeing the unaccounted time in the profiler, so I wouldn't think it's Mac specific. I'm also getting the spikes in standalone builds, so I wouldn't think it'd have anything to do with the editor layout either. It's crazy that there isn't more complaints out there about this.

8. Discord

Discord

9. Discord

Discord

Bi-weekly bump

10. Discord

Discord

Another bi-weekly bump.

11. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Just giving my 2 cents, I've noticed this spike as well recently while attempting to debug some other stuff. I've got plenty of FPS headroom in my particular project to deal with it, but it's still annoying not knowing what it is or how to minimize it. The good thing is that it only seems to happen pretty irregularly... maybe around 5 seconds or so between spikes. Kinda absurd that it takes 70.7% of the frame render time (8.13ms) in this particular case (seen in the picture).

Some system info here:
    CPU: AMD FX-8150
    GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
    RAM: 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x4GB)

Other misc. info that may be of interest:
    • This particular project is using several cameras (3 to be exact) with two using the same render texture.
    • This project was originally made with 5.5 before being upgraded to 2017.2. The spikes may or may not have been present then (I never checked).
    • This project uses a single navmesh, though the profiler image above has all NavMeshAgents disabled.

Given the lack of information about this particular issue I'm not really expecting it to get fixed anytime soon, but I just wanted to make sure people know they aren't alone if they see this.

12. Discord

Discord

It's the same problem for me. There shouldn't be an issue with performance, and it happens every 5 seconds or so.

13. Discord

Discord

14. B0M

B0M

Bumping this. Having the same issue as well.

15. ryanreptoid

ryanreptoid

I was having this problem today - seemingly out of nowhere. UpdateScreenManagerAndInput taking 97% of CPU / 480ms and grinding my game to a halt.

I just so happened to have plugged a PS3 controller into my MacBook before this happened. So I unplugged it. Everything returned to normal.

Try unplugging some USB devices!

16. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Huh, now that's an interesting twist. If I recall correctly, the only USB devices I had in at the time were my mouse, keyboard, and a USB bluetooth adapter. If it is indeed related to USB, perhaps it may be the bluetooth adapter I have?

17. Discord

Discord

Unfortunately I only input peripherals plugged in, but I'll see if unplugging everything makes a difference.

18. BRMW

BRMW

Was there ever a fix for this? I'm experiencing this on 2017.2.0f3

Even in a totally fresh project, it's showing up.

EDIT

The bug can not be reproduced on a machine with identical hardware (minus keyboard, mouse etc), so possibly a driver issue?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  19. RandomDood

RandomDood

Is anyone who is has into this issue running a multi monitor setup?

I've had the same problem and have been pulling my hair out (what little I have) trying to figure this out. The stuttering is actively messing with the operation of my project. Most responses I read online say to unplug USB devices. So I did some testing. This issue seems to go away when I unplug my extra monitor and seems to get worse if I connect more than 2 displays.

I'm wondering if this is a graphics issue.

20. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

I was when I noticed it (2 monitors, one over HDMI and the other being converted from DVI to HDMI). It's been quite a while since I last checked though, so I may or may not have the issue anymore.