Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATED] Warp Effect

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dirkjacobasch, Apr 25, 2018.

1. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

The Warp Effect uses a surface shader which renders the effect on a streched high resolution sphere. You drag one of the two prefabs into your scene and place your space ship in the center of the effect. Please read the manual for more details on how to setup the effect correctly.

Testet with Unity 2017 and Unity 2018

Features
    • The color and transparency of the Warp Effect can be changed.
    • The speed of the distortion can be changed in x and y direction.
    • The strength of the texture distortion can be changed. The higher the value the more waves will impact the warp textures.
    • The tiling size of the distortion effect can be changed.
    • The warp speed can be changed.
    • The front and rear light intensity and color can be changed to increase or decrease the glowing at the two ends of the warp sphere
    • Prefab with star particle effects. The Warp Effect has two particle effects for the stars. One for slower stars and one for fast moving stars.
    • Prefab with stars rendered directly into the warp sphere.

Additionals:
    • Distortion image effect shader for warp drop out.
    • Warp audios

v1.1 Changes:
    • Custom editor for both prefabs to change all values in one place by selecting the prefab.
    • New warp effect prefabs which render the stars in the shader instead of using particle effects.
    • The speed of the stars depends on the warp speed of the new prefab.
    • Two different layers of stars with different speeds.
    • Each star layer can be enabled or disabled separately.
    • You can set different colors for each star layer.
    • You can set different speed multiplier for each star layer.
    • Front and rear light color can be changed in the custom editor.
    • Front and rear light intensity can be changed in the custom editor.

v1.2.0 Changes:
    • Update 1.2.0 comes with a new background distortion effect. You can change the strength and frequency of the distortion and you can select between different distortion normal maps included in the package. The effect is only visible inside of the warp sphere or if you look through the warp sphere. It is not a fullscreen image effect. The effect is only available in the WarpPrefabShaderStars prefab, because the effect would influence the particle stars in the WarpPrefabParticleStars prefab.
    • The WarpPrefabParticleStars has a new cloud texture which rotate around the warp sphere to give it a more intersting look. Both prefabs now uses Shader Model 4 / DirectX 10.
    • Audio files has been moved from the demo scenes to the main asset folder.
    • This update include also a small bugfix which prevented the noise textures from being saved in the WarpPrefabParticleStars prefab.

Restriction

Not testet on mobile devices.

In the Asset Store

Website

Documentation

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Update 1.1.1 Released.

Changes:
    - Small bugfix for Unity 2018.1.

3. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looks great. Purchased.

4. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Thanks a lot. If you have any question let me know.

5. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

The next update is in the final testing. This update comes with a new background distortion effect which you know from EVE Online if you play the game. I have added a screenshot from the final testing below. You can change the strength and frequency of the effect and you can select between different distortion normal maps. The effect is only visible inside the warp sphere or if you look through the warp sphere.

This update include also a small bugfix which prevented the noise textures from being saved in the WarpPrefabParticleStars prefab.

DistortionTest.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Version 1.2.0 is live in the Asset Store.

v1.2.0 Changes:
    • Update 1.2.0 comes with a new background distortion effect. You can change the strength and frequency of the distortion and you can select between different distortion normal maps included in the package. The effect is only visible inside of the warp sphere or if you look through the warp sphere. It is not a fullscreen image effect. The effect is only available in the WarpPrefabShaderStars prefab, because the effect would influence the particle stars in the WarpPrefabParticleStars prefab.
    • The WarpPrefabParticleStars has a new cloud texture which rotate around the warp sphere to give it a more intersting look. Both prefabs now uses Shader Model 4 / DirectX 10.
    • Audio files has been moved from the demo scenes to the main asset folder.
    • This update include also a small bugfix which prevented the noise textures from being saved in the WarpPrefabParticleStars prefab.

7. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Update 1.3.0 is in the final testing.

The new update 1.3.0 comes with new properties for the WarpPrefabShaderStars prefab. With this update you can change the brightness for each star layer independet and you can set a start- and endpoint for each star layer. I have added tooltips to the editor where needed. This update has a bugfix that prevent Tile Y from beeing saved correctly in the editor. I also added an example of how to start star layers rendered with a delay.

DrOcto likes this.
  8. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Update 1.3.0 is live in the Asset Store

Changes:
    • Added new properties for the WarpPrefabShaderStars prefab to change the brightness of each star layer independently.
    • Added new properties to set the start- and endpoint for each star layer.
    • Added tooltips to the editor where needed.
    • Bugfix that prevent Tile Y from beeing saved correctly in the editor.
    • Added an example of how to start star layers rendered with a delay. You can find the example in the WarpOnOff demo script.
    Check it out

Thanks
    Dirk

9. Ateam_Studios

Ateam_Studios

Hello,

This look awesome, I am definitely in love of this one ...

I have two little questions :

1.Does it works fine on mobile device ?

2.Could you try to add (optionnal) some psychedelics effects like the very old sci-fi game called "captain Blood" ? So vintage sci-fi ....
    Take a look to 11mn26s on this video

Thank you for your work !

10. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hello,

I am very pleased that you like it. I have not tested it on mobile yet, but I will test the effect on mobile soon. On my last test on my PC I had arround 400 FPS, so I think the performance is good enough for mobile.

Psychedelic warp is a good idea. I'll try to do something like that. :)

Best regards
    Dirk

Ateam_Studios likes this.
  11. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hello,

I just made a little performance test with version 1.3.0

System:
    Intel i7 4770K
    GTX Titan 6GB
    24 GB RAM

Result: 505 FPS. I don't want to go higher. :)

WarpPerformanceTest_02.jpg

12. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hello Ateam_Studios,

I've just tested the Warp Effect on my iPhone 8 and it runs smooth at solid 60 FPS. I could not get higher because 60 FPS is max. on iOS.

Unfortunately, I have no newer android device to test it on Android. :(
    I've only some old devices, but I think on a modern Android it works like it does on iOS.

I hope that answers your question. :)

Best regards,
    Dirk

IMG_0212.PNG

13. Ateam_Studios

Ateam_Studios

Hello Dirk,

Thank you to take the time for the test ...
    Infact I've already buy your package :), because you do a very good job and watching the warp effect again and again is just hypnotic.

So, I'm in!
    I hope that you will continue to add some cool warp effects, I think that could interest other developpers who work on space projects.

Best regards,
    Seb

14. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hello Seb,

I definitely continue working on it. I have a lot of ideas how to improve and / or expand it. :)

Best regards
    Dirk