Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Can anybody tell me what is going wrong here?

2. dogmachris

dogmachris

Are you using multi-pass rendering? Also could you post a screenshot of what it looks like so I can have a look?

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

Did reflections just disappear? First check the material settings and see if the "Enable Reflections" checkbox is still checked - both the reflection script needs to run and the checkbox in the material settings need to be checked in order for reflections to work.

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

The performance of AQUAS depends mainly on two factors, first how many objects have to be reflected and second how many objects have caustics cast on them. Can you retrace if any of these may be influential in your scenes?

5. dogmachris

dogmachris

6. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm afraid, it's not possible to remove the symbol for PP stack v2 as long as it is imported. I reconfigured AQUAS to always use v2 when it's available, to avoid conflicts with having both versions imported.
    The error message comes from a script that is actually an editor script and shouldn't be in a build. I will resolve this, but for the time being, the error can be fixed by simply moving the script to the Editor folder.
    I guess you were trying to build the demo scene?

7. dogmachris

dogmachris

Could you tell me a bit more about your setup or the situation in which that screenshot was taken?

8. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Sure! This is under water. The white stuff seems to be some kind of reflection of the player himself... that long white thick bar is probably his staff. It extends up all the way into the sky, behind the clouds (but to multiple places, not the sun or the moon). It only happens in Game mode, not in Scene mode. In moonlight, the white becomes a lot more bright, but it's visible during daytime too. It happens with every post-processor, after I implemented Vegetation Studio Pro, re-installed Post-Processing via the packet manager and upgraded Visual Studio to .NET 4.7.1. If there's any other info that can help, please let me know!

The effect disappears when I remove EnviroSky's Directional Light, which is definitely causing this, but I got this working with EnviroSky before without any issues.

Above water, there are no issues or whatsoever.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  9. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

I can now confirm it happens whenever I add a directional light to the scene, including the standard Directional Light asset of Unity.

Reimporting AQUAS/EnviroSky/Post Processing does not change anything (I tried all three of them).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. gogman

gogman

Not building the demo scene.

Here is what I did to test:

Started new 3D project.

Imported Post Processing V2 - used Asset Store version in one test project, Package Manager version in the other test project.

Imported Aquas, Unchecked the PostProcessing folder in the package

Created terrain.

Used Aquas window to setup Aquas in scene at with water level set at Y=5, camera at Y=1.

Run game.

Starts underwater with full effects.

Build game, starts underwater with full effects only if the Asset Store PPSV2 is installed. If the version from the package manager is installed, the swirl effect is there, but not the blur, chromatics, or audio.

Both projects are identical except for the version of the PPV2 stack used.

Hope this helps!

-gogman-

11. dogmachris

dogmachris

It seems to be a general issue with ppv2 (see this post):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/post-processing-works-in-editor-but-not-in-build.535067/

Some users say, it occurrs when one has multiple cameras in the scene - I don't know however if that affects AQUAS as well: a second camera has to be instantiated to render reflections, but that camera only exists in the script and not as an object in the scene - I'm not sure though, if it makes a difference.

A user posted, that the solution for him, was to delete the camera and set it up again, after importing ppv2.
    Does this help you with the issue?

12. gogman

gogman

I will give it a shot and report back. Thank you for the feedback and your time.

-gogman-

dogmachris likes this.
  13. Keaneo

Keaneo

Hi,
    The "Enable Reflections" checkbox is checked, but the reflection script is deactivated (because the reflections don't work in VR). How can I get this "milky" effect to go away in VR?

Thanks!

14. Keaneo

Keaneo

Single-pass only.

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Uncheck the "Enable Reflections" checkbox - when the reflection script is disabled, it only draws an empty rendertexture, because the reflection script didn't capture anything.
    Does that get rid of the milky look?

Keaneo likes this.
  16. Keaneo

Keaneo

That fixed it! Thank you.

dogmachris likes this.
  17. Keaneo

Keaneo

First build since adding Aquas and getting errors:

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_CameraSwitcher.cs(29,125): error CS0103: The name `AssetDatabase' does not exist in the current context

18. dogmachris

dogmachris

The script slipped into the scripts folder but it's only for demo purposes, not meant to be in a build. Move it to thge Editor folder, that should do the trick for now.

19. mr_fr3d

mr_fr3d

Hi,
    I've just purchased Aquas, and it look really great, But... after importing it from the asset store, I don't find the quick setup window, (see the joined image), it's missing in the window menu, I Also try to run the demo level but I've got a message of compiler error, apparently the associated script can not be loaded, but I Don't understand, they are in the file directory of my project, maybe there is a link between this 2 problems, I probably doing something wrong, but what...If someone have an idea.
    I'm using unity 2018.3.2f1

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

Do you have the post processing package imported via package manager? If so, you can simply delete the PostProcessing folder from your Assets folder, that should solve it.

21. mr_fr3d

mr_fr3d

Thanks, I've deleted the PostProcessing folder from Assets folder, and know it work fine.

Duffer123 likes this.
  22. mr_fr3d

mr_fr3d

another problem, sorry...I'm using ly own mesh so i adapt the scale of the caustic like in the first image:

But when I play the scene aquas automatically rescale the caustics X10

and when I stop it, its rescaling at the initial value of 600x600...

thanks for your help.

23. dogmachris

dogmachris

The scaling of the caustics is automatically set via the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs script, because the scaling of the caustics is set to different values depending on whether you're looking at them at shore from above the water or from underwater.
    You can go to the caustics settings in the inspector of the UnderwaterCAmeraEffects object and set the scale values for underwater/afloat as you need them.

24. mr_fr3d

mr_fr3d

Thanks !

25. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Does this support shoreline waves and foam yet?

26. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS renders a foam effect along the shoreline, but it does not render shoreline waves yet. I ougth to tell you though, that even once it will, they won't be physical, only rendered on the water surface. This version of AQUAS is actually flat and is supposed to stay that way.

27. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

That's fine, my game is a top down RPG similar to Icewind Dale, Pillars of Eternity so flat would still be good.
    I know you hate me asking this, but what is the ETA (roughly) for this?
    Oh and thanks for responding :)

28. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Hi, i bought Aquas and used it for a couple of VR project (on Oculus Rift). It's a very nice plugin, easy to use, and i'm very satisfied, although so far I used it in a rather basic way.

I would just ask you what is the best way to achieve a directional water flowing - something like i was looking at the sea from a ship's deck. Usually, using a standard sea shader, i would fake that navigation effect keeping the ship steady and moving the water's uv coordinates via script. Is that possbile on Aquas too? Or maybe a scrolling tile system could get it better?

Thanks,
    Riccardo

29. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

30. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

Right now I'm finishing up reworking all shaders, since they've become obsolete. I've worked a bunch of new features into the shaders, such as infinite water and I'm also working on custom mesh generation, area masking and PBR-versions of the desktop shaders. I work in the scope of a couple of weeks, but I am already way behind schedule (planned to release in dec 18), so I hope for your understanding, when I say, I can't really tell at this point. Next up will be a listing of all new features as soon as I'm certain, which ones actually made it into the release version.

Ziplock9000 and hopeful like this.
  32. dogmachris

dogmachris

I think the easiest way to do that with AQUAS would be to use a flow map. In that case, you won't even have to actually paint one, a flow map with all pixel colors set to (128, 160, 0) should do it. You would only have to drop such a texture into the flowmap property of a river material from AQUAS and increase the flow speed, that should have the water flow in one direction on the entire water area.

RiccardoAxed likes this.
  33. dogmachris

dogmachris

I am currently working on the (probably last) big update for AQUAS, afterwards I will dedicate my entire attention to AQUAS Ultra (formerly AQUAS 2). I hope to have a beta ready in may the latest - hope to be able to do it earlier, but can't promise.

34. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

What is the difference between the two?!

dogmachris likes this.
  35. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Thank you, it works very well.

dogmachris likes this.
  36. dogmachris

dogmachris

The main difference is, that AQUAS Ultra will have physical waves and most of its features will be procedural. It will mainly aim for high performance apps and environments featuring realistic looking oceans.

ftejada, hopeful, Ziplock9000 and 2 others like this.
  37. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

And what will the update of normal Aquas have in it?

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

The changes that are 100% set are as follows:
    • Infinite water using world space UV mapping
    • DX12 and Vulkan support
    • LWRP and HDRP support (as far as these can yet be supported :D)
    • PBR-version of the desktop shaders as opposed to only Blinn-Phong lighting in the past for better looks
    • Single-Pass-Stereo support for realtime reflections (PBR water only!)
    • An additional shader for shallow water, that can write to the depth buffer
    • New backface materials that are transparent but can still write to the depth buffer, so that all depth-buffer-based effects may work underwater.
    Features, that I am working on, but can't guarantee will make it all into the update:
    • Terrain masking for water rendering and underwater effects
    • Vertex painter to paint masks and flowmaps within Unity
    • Automatic mask detection/generation
    • Custom mesh generation
    • Projected grid LOD system for infinite water with gentle high detail displacement at close range
    • Split rendering for when the camera is partly underwater and partly afloat
    • Crabwise depth buffer handling to allow the otherwise alpha-blended shaders to correctly write to the depth buffer (this is the least certain feature, but likely the most powerful one - will see if I can make it happen, far more talented people than myself have banged their head against a brick wall trying to make this work and failed. :D).

39. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Sounds great. When does the update come out?

Rowlan likes this.
  40. pitthesnake

pitthesnake

Help for Unity 2018.3.3 with LW SRP 4.2.0 and Aquas
    Nothing work in this config with Aquas.
    I have try to change the shader but nothing works.
    What can i do.
    Sorry for my english, i am from german

Pit

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

Sent you a PM. Also please have a look 3 posts earlier: SRP support is currently under development.

42. dogmachris

dogmachris

Since I'm behind schedule, I have become careful announcing schedules.
    I will instead post an update on the features already implemented and the features, that are still under development, until the update is ready for release. Right now I'm working on the last bullet point of the list above.

hopeful and SickaGames1 like this.
  43. Evgenius

Evgenius

@dogmachris Glad to see the feature list! By the way, I remind you that I had a problem, with placing additional (point/spot) lights inside masked volume. Will it be fixed in updates?

44. pitthesnake

pitthesnake

Hi, thanks for the offer, but I'm waiting or using other renderings engiene.
    I am at the beginning and have bought for 600 € assets. I impote and see what comes together.
    The misery started after Unity 2018.3x with R.A.M River Tool and GAIA update.
    Question should I stay with LWR engine or what can I better use for a stable environment.
    P.S. Your water is super and I used it in 2018.1x. But again 5 stars.
    Many greetings
    pit

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

45. Evgenius

Evgenius

@dogmachris I have another problem. If I try to capture 360 video with any plugin, with enabled Aquas_Reflections, then all models in scene appear inverted on video. If I disable Aquas_Reflection, then everything goes well.

46. dogmachris

dogmachris

I don't know how the 360° pictures are being captured. The reflections are in fact a second camera that renders everything relevant for the reflections and passes it to the shader. The shader then renders it on the water surface with screen space uvs. I don't know if the 360° recorder only considers the main camera or all cameras in the scene, but I would address this question to the maker of the recorder (Helios?).

47. dogmachris

dogmachris

So I think it's time to bring you guys up to speed to the status of development:

The crucial parts of the update are largely finished and some of the new features are also implemented. (green: done, yellow: in development (%), red: yet to do)

• Infinite water using world space UV mapping
    • DX12 and Vulkan support
    • Crabwise depth buffer handling to allow the otherwise alpha-blended shaders to correctly write to the depth buffer
    • Full Comatibility with Unity 2018 and 2019.

• PBR-version of the desktop shaders as opposed to only Blinn-Phong lighting in the past for better looks (70%)
    • An additional shader for shallow water, that can write to the depth buffer (70%)
    • New backface materials that are transparent but can still write to the depth buffer, so that all depth-buffer-based effects may work underwater. (50%)
    • LWRP and HDRP support (40%)
    • Projected grid LOD system for infinite water with gentle high detail displacement at close range (30%)
    • Single-Pass-Stereo support for realtime reflections (Skybox Reflection + Reflection Probe) (20%)
    • Terrain masking for water rendering and underwater effects (20%)

• Vertex painter to paint masks and flowmaps within Unity
    • Automatic mask detection/generation
    • Custom mesh generation
    • Split rendering for when the camera is partly underwater and partly afloat
    • Custom underwater effects that do not require Unity's post processing stack
    I will update the list as soon as there's news.

The depth buffer support unfortunately has an impact on performance, but still I think it's huge, because with that AQUAS will finally be able to make use of all the juicy stuff such as shadows on the water, screenspace fog and volumetric lighting.

The features that are currently in the works are all 100% set and will be available unless I stumble over something huge I haven't considered and that makes the feature impossible.

The features marked red are not yet in development, but I think most of them will not require toooo much work. From what I can see now, all the features will make it into the final update, but that's still conditional: If I figure a certain feature takes too much time to develop, I'll leave it out and add it via a later update.

As you may or may not see, the changes to AQUAS are so huge, that it will in fact be a new asset for the most part. Certain stuff like the quick setup will have to be changed/enhanced, but with those changes it won't be possible any other way if user friendlyness is to be kept to a maximum.

I'll post more info on what will happen with the current release once I know. The reason is, that lots of users are using AQUAS 1.5 and it will still require support for a while, so it might just be included as a package within the new release.

48. Evgenius

Evgenius

Not Helios, but Unity Recorder and AVPro Movie Capture, both have the same results.

49. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Sounds like you are still quite a ways out Chris. I won't ask for an ETA :)

50. m506

m506

Hi there, thanks for providing this wonderful asset.
    In regards to water reflection, I was wondering if there's a way to have it calculated just once instead of having it realtime? If not, do you know if I could somehow use Unitys reflection probe over it instead?