Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone had any problems with the new High Definition Rendering Pipeline?

2. mattis89

mattis89

It was the layer thing.. What about underwater effects with unity 2018.2 and pps v2?

3. mattis89

mattis89

When I dive everything goes WHITE underwater???

4. AndreasO

AndreasO

Could we please get an update where this bug of the ever changing caustics materials is fixed?

5. mattis89

mattis89

Please fix this : PPS Stack issues where it throws error when importing, pain in the ass to allways comment out script.

The underwater effect is weird, its very bright and white, dosent look good at all as it should..

Caustics is weird, near the camera its like the caustics is shown on the terrain and flickers..

Unity 2018.2

6. ianis100

ianis100

Hello I just bought Aquas Water and River
    the installation of the water was well done in the field however
    I have a problem with under water. When I'm in plays mode
    the underwater effects is under water but also above the water.
    Can you advise me the direction for the solution
    Thank you

7. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

As I said, Aquas underwater effects are designed to work with "normal" water, where the surface is a plane, not floating spheres. To use underwater effects and caustics with the sphere in my example, you'd probably need to roll your own trigger mechanism outside of Aquas. I usually create lens effect profiles for above and below the water, which normally are selected by Aquas when it detects transitions from one state to the other - but there's nothing stopping you from putting a spherical collider on the sphere, and using it to trigger the transitions instead. Similarly, you can use your own trigger script to turn the Aquas caustics projectors on and off depending on whether you're inside or outside the sphere. Since this is a special case, you can't expect Aquas to fully cover it out of the box, but it's definitely doable. :)

The solution is that your camera is usually either above or below the water, not both. When it's below, the water surface reflections usually prevent you from seeing what's happening above the water too clearly, so you can generally ignore any effect spillover. That's why Aquas provides a water surface trigger, to turn the underwater effects on only when the camera goes underwater. If your application requires both the above and below water views to be visible at the same time, you might need to use two cameras, or a volume based underwater effect instead.

Sometimes you need to get creative. For my floating house (1), I needed to create a custom water plane, with a cutout where the house would be (2). I then used a house shaped trigger collider (3) to turn on a "fake" underwater effect (4) when I was in the house, letting me see the fake effect through the underwater windows, without the lower floor of the house being flooded as well (5). It's all smoke and mirrors. ;)

Floathome1.jpg Floathome2.jpg Floathome3.jpg Floathome4.jpg Floathome5.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    dogmachris likes this.
  8. mattis89

mattis89

My underwater camera effects look weird, all bright and white?! Im using latest Unity 2018 and latest Aqua... Everything is set up right with Gaia.

9. jh2

jh2

FYI: I went through the same issues as everyone else, and this was the last to that helped solve my problem.

dogmachris likes this.
  10. tianmowuming

tianmowuming

Non-convex MeshCollider with non-kinematic Rigidbody is no longer supported in Unity 5.
    If you want to use a non-convex mesh either make the Rigidbody kinematic or remove the Rigidbody component. Scene hierarchy path "RigidBodyFPSController/MainCamera/UnderWaterCameraEffects/WaterLens", Mesh asset path "Library/unity default resources" Mesh name "Plane"

11. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I wanted to report a bug that occurs with AQUAS and the PostProcessing package provided by the new Unity package manager.

1. Create a new Unity project. I'm using Unity 2018.2.3f1.
    2. Import AQUAS 1.5.3. Do not include the top level Assets/PostProcessing part of the package as we will be using the Unity Package Manager provided package instead.
    3. Windows > Package Manager. Select the All tab and install Post Processing 2.0.11.

At this point, Unity gets stuck in an infinite compilation loop. The spinning in the bottom right hand corner of the window never stops, and if you watch Editor.log, you see that it keeps rebuilding due to what it thinks is a project change.

The problem seems to be caused by this section of AQUAS_AddDefine.cs:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (symbols.Contains("UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2") && results.Length == 0)
    2. {
    3.     symbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(EditorUserBuildSettings.selectedBuildTargetGroup);
    5.     symbols = symbols.Replace("UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2;", "");
    6.     symbols = symbols.Replace("UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2", "");
    7.     PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(EditorUserBuildSettings.selectedBuildTargetGroup, symbols);
    8. }
    I think the PostProcessing package and AQUAS are fighting over this definition in each of their InitializeOnLoad methods.

I originally reported this problem on the Unity Package Manger forum, and @ok_compute_unity helped me figure out what was the root cause.

JasonCG and dogmachris like this.
  12. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I ended up changing AQUAS_AddDefine.cs so that it is no longer in the business of setting Post Processing definitions up. It now only takes care of itself.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    3. namespace AQUAS
    4. {
    5.     [InitializeOnLoad]
    6.     public class AQUAS_AddDefine : Editor {
    8.         static AQUAS_AddDefine()
    9.         {
    10.             var symbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(EditorUserBuildSettings.selectedBuildTargetGroup);
    12.             if (!symbols.Contains("AQUAS_PRESENT"))
    13.             {
    14.                 symbols += ";AQUAS_PRESENT";
    15.                 PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(EditorUserBuildSettings.selectedBuildTargetGroup, symbols);
    16.             }
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    I made a corresponding change to AQUAS_RemoveDefine.cs so it also no longer is in the business of managing PostProcessing definitions.

13. mattis89

mattis89

Is your underwater effects weird too?

14. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I'm not using underwater effects.

15. mattis89

mattis89

ok

16. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

problem for game have player spawn is bad, what is api for add aquas in list AQUAS_LensEffects auto in script?

17. filod

filod

bug report:
    1. glitch underwater, only happens when using free aspect in game window, unity 2018.2.4
    upload_2018-8-21_19-19-49.png

2. Maximum call stack size or High CPU usage when use post process stack v2 (in editor mode)
    BTW, when i remove the editor folder or remove PPS V2, everything gose fine, i assume maybe a conflict between them

18. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Does anyone knows why aquas water becomes black?
    I have the latest version under unity 2018.2

19. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

It was a lighting problem. Easy Fix!

dogmachris likes this.
  20. puargs

puargs

Latest version of unity 2018.2.5f1 - adding post processing stack v2.11 causes infinite compile loop. Very frustrating because it's so hard to get in there and remove the asset while it's compiling... infinitely.

I have removed both post processing and Aquas from my project at the moment just working with a flat plane for water instead because I need resolution. Is there a recommended method to add the latest post processing stack? Before or after adding aquas to the solution? Is manually editing any compiler directives necessary?

21. filod

filod

author has reply this in https://forum.unity.com/threads/upd...le-vr-web-desktop.378519/page-34#post-3484848

but i think he really should address this issue in asset homepage/main post

puargs likes this.
  22. SamRock

SamRock

@dogdogmachris

I am interested in your asset, just want to know how the water effect will look in a 2.5D game. My game needs my character to be partially submerged in water. During this the below portion (submerged) needs to have underwater effects applied (like fog, caustic etc) Does your game support this?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  23. puargs

puargs

That post did fix the problem - thank you! Quick steps for those with the same problem:

1) Remove post-processing from the project altogether.
    2) Remove Aquas from the project (I had made some code changes to try to fix the problem, just doing a hard reset this way helped)
    3) Add Aquas
    4) Delete the Editor/AQUAS_AddDefine.cs script
    5) Go to project settings, check environment variables and make sure UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 is present in the semicolon-delimited list (if V1 is present as well, remove it so only V2 is present)
    6) Add Post-Processing newest version back to the project.
    7) optional - (If you are new to Post-Processing v2 and you have a large terrain, your water may appear white. If this happens, you may need to click on your aquas water plane and find the attached shader, expand the options, and uncheck the "custom fog" option).

Mostly just adding this reply for myself in case I run into it again.

gyl09 and mattis89 like this.
  24. swredcam

swredcam

Hopefully this is an issue someone else has seen and solved. My water looks great in Scene view when running, but Game view looks terrible with no waves or reflections. I applied AQUAS using the 2SidedTriple material on a plane. I actually seemed to work well until I switched to using a lightbox, at that point the Game view broke. Any ideas?

25. swredcam

swredcam

Please ignore my last silly post. I had scene lighting toggled on in scene view but my actual lighting in the scene was partly disabled. Hence the very dark water. For anyone making this same error, the "Scene View Lighting" switch is in the scene window and is a sun-like icon. It should be off/dark if you want a similar look in the scene vs the game views.

26. swredcam

swredcam

I'm following the tiled plane demo video and am finding that there is a visible seam from a distance. Actually in the demo video, right about where the narrator mentions the word "seamless", there is also a visible seam. It goes away if you get closer to the water, but my view is distant most of the time. I have whole-number tiling values so that is not the issue. I tried messing with the medium and long-distance tiling settings but they did not seem to make a difference. Is it possible to get a seamless look from a distance?

To be clear, it's not tiling that is the problem -- the tiling is not obvious from my distance. It's the seam itself.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  27. zgegalail

zgegalail

Hi everybody,
    Is there guidelines to follow when using Aquas on VR ? It seems that Aquas still doesn't work with Single Pass Rendering, that's a bit sad, but even in Multi-Pass Rendering, reflections are quite awful on the water, there's a bit of flickering in the distance and overall, it looks offset. Any advice ?

rocky1138 likes this.
  28. mattis89

mattis89

When did it become black? It goes black for me when its night with enviro..

29. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! @dogmachris , what is this really?

Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 256.000000, 0.000000, 8324761.500000) (Camera rect 0 0 256 256)
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:100)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

30. swredcam

swredcam

Below is a close-up image of what I am seeing -- a seam between two tiles.

31. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

It became black because I was using baked ambient lighting, There was no realtime lightsource to take information for the aquas plane.

32. mattis89

mattis89

hmm, Im using realtime still black

33. rocky1138

rocky1138

Where is this asset with respect to supporting single pass rendering?

34. smlee_looxidlabs

smlee_looxidlabs

Reflection doesn't works with SteamVR even multi pass rendering.

Can you teach me about 2-camera-setup?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    rocky1138 likes this.
  35. Salja

Salja

hmm aquas look like dead no support sice a long time sad

36. unfungmz

unfungmz

Any way to speed up Aquas loading? I have it running on the XB1 and I'm getting 60 fps from it, but it takes about 6 seconds to load when my scene loads. Unfortunately, anything longer than 1 second and I will fail certification - and I'd HATE to lose Aquas in my game. It really looks amazing.

37. blackant

blackant

Hello, i have just one question about AQUA,

does it support multiplayer cameras ?

38. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Hi folks new to the thread; be cautious about this asset as developer has been absent for several months now and my sense is that it will soon be deprecated.

39. AndreasO

AndreasO

I have the very same feeling about this asset ... :-(

40. blacksun666

blacksun666

Well he is still using the forums, maybe not posting. Last update of the product was 15 Jun 2018. He did say he is working on version 2 which has a separate thread, although he hasnt posted in there for a while either. https://forum.unity.com/threads/wip-aquas-2-0.498452/

41. swredcam

swredcam

I'm giving it one more day and then will write a bad review on Unity.

42. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

It seems a lot of the asset devs go in hiding mode when they are working on an update.

rocky1138 likes this.
  43. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I'm still hopeful for Aquas 2.0, and I'd certainly pay just to check it out!

However, going *this* silent should be expected to have consequences - it's a paid product, not open source. Just my opinion.

44. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello,

Are the Boats in the Video also included with script to drive them ?

or where can get them with script etc ?

Also a friend has aquas and tested for me at R.A.M River Auto Material.
    But there the underwater camera not work he and i tried with him at the same settings etc like used at demo scene but not work underwater camera not gets activated at R.A.M

You have a solution for it ?

regards

45. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

He has been afk for sometime now.

46. magique

magique

I checked and it says he was last seen Sept 11 on the forums so he's been around. He's just not answering anything as of yet. I sent him an e-mail today to hopefully get him to come back, but no response.

47. Salja

Salja

but he reply the reviews, i point him to check out the forum
    is all time the same like ICE Creature Controll no more Support, Gaia waiting sice 1 year of update 2.0 same with Aquas all time just lie about updates.

Screenshot_3.png

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

The boats in the video are not included, neither is any script to drive them - they just move along a spline curve.

AQUAS's underwater mode has been designed to work with AQUAS, not with RAM. RAM has a completely different Approach to the water surface.

49. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Salja @magique @SickaGamer @swredcam @blacksun666 @AndreasO @mmaclaurin
    You are of course all right, I have been neglecting this forum for quite a while now. I have given support via e-mail, some stuff however has just been growing over my head and I can only apologize for that.
    However, I have not abandonned the asset and am still there doing development. I feel like I should thank a lot of guys here in the forum for doing some of the work that I would have had to do instead.

I don't want to spread out too much personal "why"-stuff, please let me just apologize and reassure you, that AQUAS is not abandonned.

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

What do you see when you set up VR with multi pass rendering? Do you see displaced reflections or is it something else?