Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JuanMaldonado

JuanMaldonado

@dogmachris Was wondering this as well. I'm using the AQUAS Lite with the LWRP and it obviously isn't compatible. Are the mobile shaders in the full package compatible with the lightweight render pipeline?
    Waiting for this answer to upgrade to the full package.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    P_Jong likes this.
  2. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

I can't find the setting to change the FOV for the underwater lens. Where is it?

3. BlakeDarrow

BlakeDarrow

I recently bought this from the store, and as soon as it finished importing I have three compile errors from the scripts saying, The type 'xxx' already contains a definition for 'xxx'. I didn't change anything and I cant play my game. Any help?

4. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi Chris, and all...
    I have this in the middle of my scene after upgrading to Unity 2018.1.2.

I then had to reinstall aquas but got the following . I have no idea what it is or how to eliminate it?

upload_2018-5-27_0-13-0.png

Oh its the big blue square.

Any help eliminate it appreciated.

Thanks.

StormchaserZA likes this.
  5. freearchont

freearchont

Hi! How can i solve it? The light reflects on water via walls

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      70.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Not sure but I believe you can create layers for all your scene objects and include ONLY certain ones. I only have the terrain layer reflecting in: Waterplane->AQUAS_Reflection Script:

upload_2018-5-27_14-36-22.png

7. freearchont

freearchont

And 1 more: how can i make it work with spotlight?

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      100.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      130 KB
      Views:
  8. freearchont

freearchont

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      83.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Im not sure what you mean. Do you mean how can you make aquas reflect the spotlight? If so, just add the spotlight to a new layer then add that to the aquas reflection script as an allowed layer. Then all spotlight layers will reflect but I am not sure what you mean.

dogmachris likes this.
  10. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

After a bunch of testing, I've figured out that the Aquas Reflection script isn't working properly when using a custom plane as opposed to the prefab.

I suspect the problem might be related to expected UV coordinates in the shader's handling of the reflection map generated by the reflection script.

@dogmachris , I know you're busy with the 2018 bug fixes, but could use a validation on the above - I'm okay to wait for a fix but mainly want to know if I can stop looking at my own scene for the problem. I'm using a standard plane scaled by 50 in X and Z to fit a 500x500 terrain.

camta005 likes this.
  11. AlienMe

AlienMe

@dogmachris, after upgrading to Unity 2018.1.2, all Aquas surfaces stopped rendering. I tried with and without the post processing packs, etc. Same behavior.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Are there any known compatibility issues between AQUAS and Unity 2018.1.2?

Thanks!

12. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Can anyone tell me if there's any other way to mask out water other than a volume mask?

I'm using a volume mask to remove water which is on some terrain which goes below sea level. It works but only when looking at the water from the outside, when inside the masked area you can still see the underside of the water, and the underwater effects.

13. Nazowa

Nazowa

Any update on the huge square that appears when running Aquas in Unity 2018.1 ?

14. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Is there a way to add water sound (like a river sound, sea sound or waterfall sound), based on where the player is? I imagine that if you are on a river edge or on a lake edge, you would be able to hear the water noise, but while you go farther, the sound should reduce until it disappear.

Creating an audio source attached to Aquas sadly do not solve the problem, since the sound would be present everywhere the object is located, even if there is a terrain on top of it.

15. AlienMe

AlienMe

@dogmachris , Hi Chris, any idea on an ETA for the update to make Aquas compatible with 2018.1? Thanks!!

16. stefankohl

stefankohl

Just downloaded and tried it out on my project. I used the original AQUAS prefab and replaced the desktop shader with a mobile shader. While it looked good in the editor, the device itself is not handling any distortions or other effetcs beside reflection as shown in the second image:

Unity-Screenshot-20180605003728.png XAL02100120329-20180605-0001.png

Do you have any idea on how to fix this?
    Platform is Nintendo Switch.

eaque and Shodan0101 like this.
  17. magique

magique

Similar to @Hawk0077 I'm seeing a strange square artifact in the water from certain viewing angles. Using Unity 2017.4.3f1.

upload_2018-6-4_16-37-20.png

18. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Not sure if it is the same issue but I get "walls" in my water, they do have collision; so if I run underwater, at one point it just stop moving, because there is this wall; perpendicular to the Aquas plane.

This is with Unity 2018; the currently released version (not the beta)

Attached Files:

19. camta005

camta005

rapidrunner likes this.
  20. magique

magique

That looks promising, but what does he mean by the following:

"Simply attach it to your waterplane and drop the "Borders" object from your hirarchy to the Borders variable in the inspector."

I have no idea what this Borders object is. The only Borders objects I have in my hierarchy are from some UI elements of a completely different asset I'm using. I don't know what is meant by Borders for AQUAS.

21. camta005

camta005

In the hierarchy it looks like this:
    borders.png

22. magique

magique

Weird. My doesn't look like that. Here's mine:

upload_2018-6-5_6-56-36.png
    I created mine using the AQUAS Quick Setup. My AQUAS version is 1.5.2, which is the latest.

23. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

camta005 likes this.
  24. jjobby

jjobby

Attached Files:

25. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    general question:
    When i drop the water prefab in the scene i loose around 30 fps ( and i use accurate fps counter) . Is there a way to reduce that perf cost with some settings ? btw Very impatient to get Aquas2
    Thx in advance

26. magique

magique

Are you by any chance using Vegetation Studio in your scene?

27. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I did get a similar issue, and it is caused by the reflection script. Turning that off did boost my framerate by 20-30 FPS on average.
    I did make most of the assets static and used occlusion culling baking, but still the framerate with reflections on is not really smooth. Overall it works if all you have in your scene is a terrain and some trees; but as soon as you add anything more than that, the framerate drops like crazy.

28. eaque

eaque

yes i do, why some special integration ?

29. eaque

eaque

I see, i remember we can select objects to render via reflection on water using layer i guess...Have u tried?
    My first try months ago playing with those settings were not that great so i went to many other shaders and solutions for all the oasis in my game. I have a good one now but still wanted to giv aquas a try cause aquas looks real great!

30. magique

magique

eaque and FargleBargle like this.
  31. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Yes, I did move to a different layer all that I didn't want to reflect; but the increase in performances was minimal.

The main issue are grass and the tree; you render them 2-3 times with reflections, which totally kill performances on my scene. I could not figure out a way to set the layer for the trees, unless I duplicate the terrain and hide the geometry of the second terrain, but move the whole terrain on a different layer. It is cumbersome and borderline masochistic, but seems to be the only way to change layer to trees placed on a terrain.

I am going for the approach to not use the terrain tools to place the grass and everything else; so I can arbitrarily decide what is reflected, placing all these objects in their own layer.

Aquas does look great; the issue is that most of the items on the asset store, are rarely working out of the box; unless you make a demo scene. Probably that's the reason why many prefer to use Unreal engine.

32. eaque

eaque

i see!

I agree with the "out of the box" concept! just a few assets have this as a goal! and Guess what: they do sell well!:)
    When i see all those authors with poor videos as tutos...:(

33. ceebeee

ceebeee

Just because you have to set things to layers doesn't mean 'it's not working out of the box', that's two things very far from each other. No matter the product or engine, you have to set things up right. Every Game engine requires you do work. There's no magic push a button and you have a game that's fully optimized. If you're looking for that you'll be sorely disappointed, no matter which engine you choose.

dogmachris likes this.
  34. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

This is a package, not a game engine. If you make a good package, you make it so the buyer import it, use it and it is performing to the best it can, from the get-go. This has nothing to do with working with an engine; this is an asset :)

Even models are often non-optimized; so if I have to spend time fixing what others do, I can either hire someone that do the job for me, or do it myself from scratch. That's where the usefulness of the asset store comes in: saves you time and money. Aquas luckilly works in most of the cases; but as soon as you go beyond the basics, it require time and efforts. And the devs are not always there to help you, so there is a decent amount of legwork to be done, to use almost any asset.

Ironic that you tell me that there is no magic button; I did ship 4 games in the past 8 years and 6 different software for various OS; I really know the meaning of "there is no magic button" ;) Thanks for the hints thou!

35. magique

magique

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  36. MonkeyKasai

MonkeyKasai

Hi there,
    I currently have an issue where the water will be invisible when starting the game. The water doesn't stay invisible though, if the player walks underneath the water and then back out, the water then becomes visible.

This issue only happens when I build the game, the water works perfectly in the editor

Anyone else had this problem before and anyway to fix this?

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

If you are using multiple water tiles, not every one of them needs to have a reflection probe on them. It is sufficient to have only the center tile to have a reflection probe (either as component or as child object) that is scaled up to cover the entire "ocean" or the visible part of it as it were. The reflection probe's x- and z-position would of course have to follow the camera.

As for the reflection script: What it basically does it get a rendered image from a reflection camera (different position and angle from the active camera) and pass it to the material. The shader then processes it to create the reflection on the water surface. In short, not every tile needs to have the reflection script on it if you are using multiple tiles, only one needs to, because that is enough to pass a render texture to the material. Every tile that has the material on it will then automatically render the reflection image.

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Hawk0077 likes this.
  39. dogmachris

dogmachris

@JuanMaldonado

Yes I do. I am currently reworking the shaders to achieve that among other features. I had to fix a tedious bug now though, so that I had to first submit AQUAS 1.5.3 to make sure it works for everyone.

Working on it right now, but I will need a bit more time for this.

P_Jong likes this.
  40. dogmachris

dogmachris

You have to make that adjustment using the scale of the lens objects (x- and z-scale).

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

I have answered your email the other day - just to make sure, I'm not confisung you with someone else: it was your email, wasn't it? :)

42. dogmachris

dogmachris

Reflections should work on any plane as long as it does not have stretched UVs or anything like that. In fact when setting up a river using the river setup, AQUAS uses a standard Unity plane, not the water plane that comes with the package. In this earlier post there's a bit of explanation on the required UV setup: https://forum.unity.com/threads/upd...le-vr-web-desktop.378519/page-11#post-2722140

Does this help?

43. dogmachris

dogmachris

I have submitted 2 Updates for AQUAS to fix rendering issues in Unity 2018. I have just submitted version 1.5.3 which will hopefullym fix the last remaining one (squared artifact around point light sources). It should be live in a few days. Please make sure you have the latest version from the store installed.

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

The volume mask is only a feature to get you stared, it cannot handle every possible setup. I would use the same volume that is used for volume masking and use a collider on it (kinematic). Then you can use a simple script that simply disables the waterplane and the underwater effect. This would very much vomplete the masking in a way that would not only mask water out of boats and ships, but also disable underwater effects and water rendering when the camera is actually inside that volume.

45. dogmachris

dogmachris

Are you in forward rendering mode? If so, make sure the AQUAS_Camera.cs script is attached to the camera. Does this solve the issue?

MonkeyKasai likes this.
  46. dogmachris

dogmachris

@darshie1976 @eaque
    I do agree with both of you to some extend, but I also have to credit ceebeee for pointing that out. Of course you are right in saying that an asset should work out of the box, and that is also why AQUAS has the demo scenes included so that you can just download and give it a go to see what it looks like in a simple scene. The thing is that it is (not almost, but absolutely) impossible to make an asset that will work nicely with any other given asset on the store.

So at certain points intergrations for AQUAS have been added (Gaia, Enviro, Unistorm, Weather maker, RAM, RWP a.o.), but in the end there will always be conflicts and setups that need some additional attention, because there is no way to cover every asset constellation possible, no matter how hard I try to take the work off your shoulders (quick setup, river setup, presets, tutorials, etc.).

I do understand that in certain situations AQUAS too may require additional work to get it to play nicely in a complex project that relies on a variety of content, and I can only do what I think helps most, judging by the overwhelming amount of feedback I have already gotten from you guys (and I highly appreciate it), but in the end if I happened to have failed delivering a package, that you feel you have a good time using, then I'm afraid, all I'm left with is to apologize and happily offer you a refund - being a customer on the store myself, the last thing I want you to do, is to sit on a package you cannot use the way you want to.

javier11om and eaque like this.
  47. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

Is single pass stereo supported for the reflections, and if so, how is it set up? The aquas reflection script throws warnings at me when VR is on and the reflections don't work properly. They also look kinda strange on multipass.

Cannot set field of view on this camera while VR is enabled.
    UnityEngine.Camera:set_fieldOfView(Single)
    AQUAS_Reflection:UpdateCameraModes(Camera, Camera) (at Assets/3RD-PARTY/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:175)
    AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/3RD-PARTY/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:63)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I also get this rectangle on the origin, following the headpose. It is most apparent why I set the scene to night. Seems like other people are getting something similar.
    AQUAS.jpg

This with steamVR, Unity 2017.4.5. And also using EnviroSky.

Also, is there a way to mask the caustics projection so it doesn't show under the shadowed areas of a chosen directional light? The effect would be more convincing for pools and the like, since real caustics would be caused by the direct light.

caustics.jpg

48. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I am sorry; what did he point out? That there is no magic button? :)

The expectation for an asset is that it is able to do what it should; as advertised. Don't get me wrong when I say that, but when asking for money, one should contemplate all the cases.
    I've been working in software for ages, and the statement that "you will never be able to make something that works everywhere", is in part true, but also used as excuse to not look at every case.

I appreciate the integration with GAia, since I did buy Gaia first, and saw that this asset was supported there natively. Which is why I did go for it. And so far I am happy of it, although the expectation was that once imported in Gaia, the asset would handle itself, considering that there will be reflections from the terrain.

I get that you put a test scene; which is also good from the perspective of understanding how thing works; although it is a bit deceiving to say "see? It does work in my test scene". If you have disclosures about such issues, and a FAQ page that explain why the whole thing slow down to 10FPS if you make a decently sized terrain, I would not say anything.

Some assets does mark clearly the limits of a package; being aimed at desktop or mobile; which is why I was surprised to get issues in my project, and had a very kind user that did point me to this thread, when he saw that the analyzer was showing Aqua reflections taking 40% of total resources per frame.

I am not blaming you for having an asset that may have problems integrating with others (due to the difficulties of integrating assets in projects, because you can't check all the cases), but I find fascinating that you follow the line of telling others to be patient, because this is what it is :) A list of issues and how to resolve them, could go in the package, and at least could mitigate the search for a solution, spending time that could be used on the project itself.

Also testing with Gaia terrains that have more than standard spawner, could help to get some issues ironed out. Doesn't take that much, to create a decently believable terrain and see that while running, the whole thing just choke.

I am willing to learn how to use the api; not necessarily to cope with cases where things were not tested, and I have to be creative and find a solution...otherwise what is the point to buy an asset? If I use a C++ or Python library, I know what I am getting into, but they are free 99% of the time, and have support from a large wiki and documentation support, most of the times.
    I just want to spend more time working with an API, instead than have to fight it to optimize things, because someone did not think that there could be a fundamental issue when using the API, in a context that is not realistic (like a small test scene).

Don't take it as an attack, but as a simple suggestion from someone that has to deal with problems every single day (because that's why people pay me for), and that would appreciate to get quality assets that solve problems, and save time. You make the price, I buy it as long as it solve my problems.

Thanks for your time and efforts you put in this package.

49. ceebeee

ceebeee

That and you have to put in work to get things working together. Expecting a generic asset to meet your very specific and custom situation is frankly unreasonable.

50. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I love your bits of wisdom :) The asset has a script for the reflections; which reflect anything that is above the surface. This include the terrain, and anything that is on the terrain. Now; if we consider that it is not possible to put trees, assets and details in a different layer (to disable the reflections), you may understand that this is NOT a specific NOR a custom situation.

IF you watch the Gaia tutorials, you see that everything works, since the integration is done on a simple scene, which has no game logic, nor other assets beside the terrain, terrain assets and some game objects. If you parse back the thread, you will see other complains about the drop in performances if you use Aquas with the reflection script.

Turn it off? Then the water does not look as good as it should. And this is why we are here...