Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Updated take on VFX Graph vs Shuriken performance?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by mrCharli3, Feb 5, 2023.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

I've been trying to decide on what solution to use for my game by checking Google for answers on this, and the general opinions seems to be that Shuriken is more performant when you need many on the screen at the same time, since they can be instanced.

Now a Unity dev said in 2020 that instancing was coming to VFX Graph in 2021, but doesnt seem to be here still?

Anyway, I want to make a tower defense game where each tower projectile will have a unique VFX/Trail, so Id say there could be roughly 100-200 projectiles flying around and the same time, combined with any other VFX the game might need.

I want this to run on phones and computers, is the recommendation then to use shuriken? Unity sure has made it hard to get started nowadays :D

2. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

If you use VFX Graph on android phones, you can only use Vulkan as the target graphics API. (no OpenGL ES support)

Then shuriken shouldn't be too slow, but you should check if it consumes too much CPU resources.
    Unity_ParticleSystem.jpg

3. Qriva

Qriva

Instancing arrived in 2022.2 I think.
    As mentioned, if you need to run this game on mobile devices, then I guess it is better to stick to shuriken, especially if you want to target wide range of devices.

4. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

FWIW, according to the roadmap, this shipped with 2022.2:

upload_2023-2-12_19-6-27.png

But the other posters are correct, Shuriken will give you significantly better compatibility.

5. michelecipriani80

michelecipriani80

Low-end android devices don't support Graph VFX, if you target those devices, Shuriken is the way to go at the moment