Search Unity

Surforge 1.4.5 - 3D rendered PBR texturing in Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sergeyv_3d, Jan 27, 2017.

1. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Classic standard shader (right after the bake was done and just drag the material), and the mail has been sent.

2. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you for sending the scene.
    I tested the export, and everything is working fine after couple of tweaks.
    Blocker_export.jpg
    The unwanted greenish color was from specular map compression. It was set to "medium quality" by default, the "high quality" compression settings in Unity Inspector fixed the color issue.
    The reason of textures blurrness is that 1024 resolution is just not enough for such fine details. The surface of ornament is rather small relative to UV space in this model.

VisualTech48 likes this.
  3. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

The settings were in 2k but each time you load the model it reverts to 1k.

Just the specular? Because when I set the specular import settings to high the greenish is still a bit there?
    I've tried changing all of them at seem to get better results, so are all the images at fault for having normal qc?

New test:
    2k Render with 4x antialiasing, both compared (Surforge has a lot of more details on the model, due to shader or?) and exported with chaning the Compression Quality to high
    Surfoge:
    Surforge_M.png
    Normal Specular:
    Surforge_M_Spec.png

The difference in details is huge

Inspector:
    32siuq4dQbeMuCBpJSeVcQ.png

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  4. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

There is a ability to tweak tiling separately for different materials in Surforge composer shader. This allows you to use textures of different resolution together, and tweak the size of texture features. To achieve this, Surforge use tiled textures in its texture preview. This could lead to detailed look of even low resolution textures.

Surforge texture preview shows fine details regardless of low resolution in this case, because of the setting "global texture scale" of your material set to very fine value of 0.1, that made the noise texture very tiled, and as a result, enough detailed, even for that very little area of the texture.

But exported result of combined textures is not tiled, it needs enough resolution to handle this fine details. The ornament area is just to small, relative to the UV space. And compression makes it even more noticeable.

The best solution here is to make UV island, where ornament is planned bigger. You could also try to change the colors a little, for them to be more compression friendly in this particular case.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    VisualTech48 likes this.
  5. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Thanks a lot.

Any news on the ETA of 1.1?

Cheers for the great support

6. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

I would like to show you material rotation - a handy new feature of upcoming Surforge 1.1.0

When it comes to normal maps rotation, you need not only to rotate your normal map texture, but also actual normals of that texture. This could be tricky to achieve in image editor. But Surforge do it for you automatically.

Surforge 1.1.0 is just around the corner, going to be released on Monday.
    Surforge is developing intensively, and I plan to increase the price a bit. You asked me to warn in advance, so I draw your attention.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    TS42, hopeful, chelnok and 5 others like this.
  7. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Sounds more than awesome, any change log you can put here? Like added materials, etc?

8. TS42

TS42

Very well deserved.
    Surforge is still outstanding!

VisualTech48 likes this.
  9. ShockWave2048

ShockWave2048

Hi all! Can i do paint on multiply meshes with one final textures?

10. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello,
    Surforge was not initially designed for working with multiple meshes and texture atlases.

But you could use such trick. To share a texture between several meshes, you have your 3d models to share UV space in such way, that UV shells from different models not overlaps. So you need to prepare your models in your 3d editor to do it. This could be made in Blender (free tool), with enabling "UV: Texture Atlas" add-on in Blender settings.

Then, if you change your 3d model during texturing in Surforge, you could see UVs in different part of the texture, and continue working on different part of your UV layout, and then apply final texture to both of models.

11. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Sergey could you make a tutorial on warp shapes? I'm struggling to get it to work, as while it is documented its hard to showcase it with words, and I cannot get any desired shape.

Edit: Also how would be possible to add details like this:
    http://prntscr.com/ha40t6

Is that made via paint textures or?

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  12. castor76

castor76

Get Surforge now!

BTW, is update released yet? I am sooo waiting for this rotation feature!

13. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Any news on the 1.1?

14. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Surforge 1.1 Is finally sent for approvement.

The Material Rotation feature appeared to had more difficulties than expected.
    The good news is it's fully functional now, and included into update. But it taken additional time to make it work as intended. Other stuff, like new cover and documentation update will follow a little bit later.

Sorry for waiting, and thank you very much for understanding.

While 1.1 is on approvement, i want to show you a new demo scene, included in Surforge.
    This is an example of rather complex model with a large number of UV islands, fully textured in Surforge.

Surforge_missileTurret.jpg

I will record a tutorial on warp shapes for sure, a little bit later. I am buried a little under the mountain of Surforge tasks now.
    The details on the image is made with regular poly lasso split, just with a finer scale. The material is one of metal presets, with noisy glossiness.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    TS42, Akshara and SteveB like this.
  15. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Is this a bug or am I'm missing something, but there is no height information from the images:
    Screenshot_1.png

Also is the update coming soon? It has been 4 days :p

16. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.75.2289&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    I came across this yesterday and I wanted to add this to Surforge. Just the task for a long, icy winter that lasts for ages in Russia.

Mr. Wong left a lot of references at the end of his page. So I already had time to peek couple of math books of 60th withe the help of Google Books. Yesterday i even I did not even know what is "medial axis transformation using the Manhattan distance metric". Today i found a snippet for it.

When it comes to image buffer from this page, i have to decide - should i do in on the GPU? I win or lose with this high amount of draw calls.

Just imagine how far it has gone - I've already come up with a name for the application. "Starfruit plugin for Surforge".
    It will not be soon, it will be beautiful, and rest assured that it will not be cheap.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Akshara likes this.
  17. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

The height information only stored by Surforge scene. Just no free texture samplers to keep it per material
    The update under review. Usually it takes couple of days.

VisualTech48 likes this.
  18. castor76

castor76

I have tried to use some warp mode functions. (shift alt left click) but most of the time, I get some error happening with wrapping not following the guide line exactly. The error messages are bit too long so I have got them here as spoiler :
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Vector2].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    Surforge.FitShapeStartPoint (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 shape) (at Assets/Surforge/Editor/Surforge.cs:12505)
    SurforgeInterface.WarpPolyLassoObject (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 shapeToWarp, .PolyLassoObject pObj, Boolean isOpen, Boolean isSplit, Boolean repeatedWarp) (at Assets/Surforge/Editor/Interface/SurforgeInterface.cs:11078)
    SurforgeInterface.CheckForGlobalHotkeys () (at Assets/Surforge/Editor/Interface/SurforgeInterface.cs:4239)
    SurforgeInterface.SurforgeOnScene (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneview) (at Assets/Surforge/Editor/Interface/SurforgeInterface.cs:3718)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2440)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1759)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1591)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:285)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:278)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:245)

19. castor76

castor76

Also you can't use symmetry for setting up wrap shape. And if you also use arc mode, you can't complete the wrap shape using the last arc shape you are in, it just creates a straight line from the last arc point. Which puzzles me a bit over how you create such a perfect shield shape that I saw from the surforge document?

20. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you very much for finding this. I will check it.
    But pleese keep in mind, that some of Surforge features (Warp, voxel based greeble tool, voroni shatter) is just a the fruit of my heated imagination, from the time Surforge was as insider tool, not ever planned for sharing.
    I thought to include them in the release or not, and everything would be fine without them, but I added. But once strict persons from the Unity team let them be in the release, they are worthy to share. The documentation includes a detailed paragraph about its use, with examples of when the feature works and when not.

Also some features, according to their nature, just never could be stable in special cases. If you ever crush your 3d application while too much iterations of subdivision it could be the same.

21. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Understandable, looking good with the rotation for now.

I'm interested, is it in plan to add a brush like to add details like scratches, leaks etc?

Also I'm making a material set (12 materials) free for everyone to use within surfore, should be done next week

Also about the grid, can ur be changed to ve bigger/smaller?

22. castor76

castor76

Also, how do you snap to the symmetry line?

23. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

I am afraid you can't snap to symmetry line for now - one of todo features, for sure to be added at one of the stages.
    Snapping is lot more tricky that it seems. The reason is performance.

Great!
    Painting with brushes will be added one day.
    I'm afraid that the only way to adjust the density of grid for now - is to search for "grid" in SurforgeInterface.cs and there is a value of grid subdivision.

VisualTech48 likes this.
  24. castor76

castor76

1. What about using symmetry for setting up wrap shape?

2. Arc mode also doesn't seem to work for the last one? Click shift alt right click and it only creates straight line from the last arc point to the close point.

I am trying to create a shield looking like wrap shape from the surforge document, but I can't because it doesn't support symmetry.

25. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I've tried changing this, but no luck:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int uvGrisDensityPow = Surforge.surforgeSettings.uvGridStep;
    2.         if (uvGrisDensityPow < 1) uvGrisDensityPow = 1;
    3.         if (uvGrisDensityPow > 5) uvGrisDensityPow = 5;
    4.         float uvGridDensity = Mathf.Pow(2, uvGrisDensityPow);

26. Akshara

Akshara

Guys, it's starting to feel like a dog-piling on the developer for things that the asset doesn't do. Two pages of this going back over a month and it's getting tiring to read through. I and others are watching this thread for Surforge information, not to read the @castor76 @VisualTech48 support thread.

Aaron2348 and pixelsteam like this.
  27. Akshara

Akshara

@Sergeyv_3d This is all brilliant stuff man, and I'm sorry it's getting drowned out here. Follow your passion.

pixelsteam likes this.
  28. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

While its obvious that you reported us, however this is a forum for Surforge. A forum in which, if you look at other asset forums, is used for the dev to reach us, and we to suggest and ask assistance for the tool.

For a tool that is more than great, and asking questions about its functionality and how does it work and asking assistance is not bashing it at all, it's quite the opposite.

Sergey does amazing work, Surforge is a tool that blows my my mind of how its designed around GPU and Vectors, reactive materials details, and so on, but as a developer I do think any at all of his customers are entitled to ask questions and for support as they have invested their money into it. Is that bashing? This is a both a forum for Sergey to reach us and show the progress and the new features of the tool and vice versa.

We wouldn't be asking things if we didn't love the tool and me asking about the brush tool was, if you look at page one of the forum alreday requested and asked, in which he responded its on the plan.

I personally love the tool and while I might be a bit picky, like I said my goal is to learn to use the tool to its extent, a tool Sergey made possible and has my full respect and gratitude for making it possible. It proves its a tool worth at least 100 dollars if not more by making it available. He could've kept it for himself but he offered it to us.

And I thank im for it.

Aaron2348, chelnok and SteveB like this.
  29. Akshara

Akshara

Yes, I did.

Our $50 entitles us to a license to utilize Surforge in our own creative works - that's it. Asking questions and looking for support is fine - yet if you had read Sergey's unedited response yesterday, and the ones he has posted on this page, he's "buried under a mountain" of work right now, and it wouldn't suck if you gave him a break. Your last "is the update coming soon? It has been 4 days" post is one post after he just said he had submitted it the day before. Comes across like harassment to me.

30. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

As a developer you are responsible for supporting and documentation. Its a responsibility he has taken for himself by releasing it to the asset store.

By your words when someone publishes a tool and is busy I shouldn't ask him anything? He has every right to answer me in a week, month or even never, but again he is responsible. I would love to see if your laptop or pc broke, and then when you come to the technician and then they say they are busy... You would juat walk away with your broken pc?

Hell No because the technician is paid and you are a customer, and I'm sure that my 4 days has past post had a smiley as I know hiw developing is hard, I just ask if he could give some information. I haven't disrespected him in any way, I support him and love his work and was excited for the update.

But yeah. Totally harassment

31. Akshara

Akshara

Whatever, man. I'd just like to see Sergey keep his passion and enthusiasm for working on Surforge and not keep being "distracted by trifles" and just abandon the forum.

He doesn't owe you or me a single thing. We're lucky that he answers here and updates Surforge at all. I understand you don't see it that way. I've taken time out of my day to step in and say my piece, because it seems bad enough for me to take the risk of doing so and earning your ire - what you do from here is up to you. Yet if you genuinely care about this asset's future and the developer, then maybe have a little compassion here.

I'm out.

32. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Whattt? I've already said that him, sharing this asset is more than an awe to the community when he could've kept it for himself.

You obviously misunderstood the concept of the problem. If you really think it is okey for people selling things are not responsible for the thing in matter, that is really sad.

Not that Sergey is at all, but what you are saying is that it is okey for a person to sell a product and don't care about a customer? That we should be grateful for a seller to answer our questions. How many questions would you ask id you were buying a house. Or you would just buy it and be grateful that someone build a house out of thatch?
    This is why we have the battlefront 2 scandal.

No one is bashing Sergey, he has his space amd like I said, he is a seller and sellers have responsibilities that no one forced on him. No one said his work sucks or is bad by asking questions and support.

We are people interested in a amazing product and want it it to Improve. We all want it to succeed. Why would anyone ask questions or show suggestions if he or she wouldn't want it to be better.

Hell I'm making 12 materials for free like I said previously for all users just so Sergey can focus on anything else.

My apologies to Sergey if I was picky but there is no harm in it, just want it see it to become even a greater product with each day. No one expects it overnight, and if Sergey needa a month for a 1.2 version or even a small patch it is up to him.

33. Akshara

Akshara

Okay, I'm not out.

If you were paying him $50/hr for support, then I would wholeheartedly agree with you and your metaphors for the house and the PC repair, though I doubt you could buy a house or a PC for $50. My point is that the $50 flat fee entitles us to a use license - not to unlimited support and improvements to the product. This is a problem with the asset store, where users expect and demand unlimited support and improvements for non-professional wages.

Surforge doesn't need to improve. It works just fine, right now. It might not in everyone's unique use case, yet that's why we're developers. We buy the code in the asset, not the developer who designed it.

Yes, if Sergey wants to give away his time for free, that's his call. So is if he wants to call hippocoder and have this discussion wiped from his thread (really sorry, Sergey). Yet I get tired of reading through all of the demands for new features and updates for each person's unique case, here and in other asset threads; even after Sergey has clearly expressed what he wants to focus on right now and how all of these demands are distracting to him.

34. castor76

castor76

I dare to say that surforge is better for my project than substance painter or quixel. The tool's UI and usability can improve, but it already does a lot and it may be suitable for real production for certain types of games. Remilore is being developed 100% with surforge. I would have paid $500 for this tool.

VisualTech48 likes this.
  35. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Unlimited support is not what I ask for, if Sergey doesn't eant to update the tool fine again. Almost each question that was asked was the functionality of the Surforge (currently) when for instance I had issues with the export or the issues with thr warp tool.

Me or anyone else demanding is a suggestion not a demand. He can say no and we respect his decision. If he has a roadmap for a product no one again is forcing him to go away from it, again just suggestions, like the brush I said functionality, which was asked on page 1.

36. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Please do not quarrel. All of you are right :)

I'm a person of mood. things that I'm interested in I do with multiple performance. I call it "wave" When I catch a wave, I concentrate and do only that.
    Here is my new wave. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.75.2289&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    I'm worried about one thing - mr. Wong did not write anything about the performance of his algo. Maybe you need hours to render this ornament. I can not say yet - I have not reached it yet. Even if so, I still want it.

Ornament consists of elements, and in the case of Surforge of "pseudo three-dimensional elements." Metal, shiny, good looking elements.
    Fantasy armors, book designs. Huge things!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  37. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I'm in a process (trying) of making a painter for details like rust by hand, for Surforge, and these are the current results (painted gold):
    Painter.png

Since Surforge is calculated via objects, I'm making a painter(really rough at the moment) that has a preset object (that acts as a brush) and then generates them, sets their depth depending on the upper layer (goes to the top layer), rotates them randomly, and scales them randomly along with a modifier value.

The drawback is it isn't a surforge asset thus cannot respond to the worn edges, but everything else works fine

@Sergeyv_3d if you have any suggestions regarding the approach maybe, I'll send you the script if you want.

Cheers.

TeagansDad and Sergeyv_3d like this.
  38. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Impressive! But Surforge is a generator, not painter.
    It is not a copy of Zbrush. Drawing with a brush is something that Surforge is called upon to rid you of. Yes, this is a great feature, will be added one day by you, me or community. But it goes as if in a cut with the philosophy of Surforge.

Great work and nice feature to have anyway. I like it!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Aaron2348 and VisualTech48 like this.
  39. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Yeah totally aware of it and agree, however painting rust, and details as such, or just some small holes, etc. would bring more control over the output, which is a cool thing to have.

Cheers

Aaron2348 likes this.
  40. castor76

castor76

You can bring the result from Surforge into Substance Painter like and iterate details if you want. I tried this, and it works pretty well.

VisualTech48 likes this.
  41. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Sounds great but I do not own Substance anymore :/

42. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello guys,

As you could already notice, Surforge is now on Black Friday 50% off event.
    The current price settings for Surforge is pretty unique, and not quite the one I planned.
    Since Surforge updated right before Asset Store events, its price increase, that i set for 1.1 update, was (as i think) against the rules, and it was not applied yet.

If you do not own your copy of Surforge yet, do not miss this great opportunity. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  43. ShockWave2048

ShockWave2048

Sergeyv_3d - is you planning Surforge as external app? Or only as unity plugin allways?

44. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Surforge was originally planned as Unity Editor extension. It opens up great opportunities for fast development. Its hard to release standalone version, it will require to write a lot from scratch.
    Unity Editor gives so much benefits. Standalone would never have so much flexibility. You could add your own prefabs, script things. You could use other tools with Surforge, tweak everything.

But of course standalone would be great to increase the target audience.
    One day, maybe i will try to do it.

45. yandrako

yandrako

Im considering veeery seriously to buy this asset because look awesome and very helpful (and with a really great offer now), but I have a couple of doubts before to see if I can use it for my current project:

1 - Can I use my own albedo texture and use the asset to create the normal, height, specular, occlusion maps for it?

2(related to 1) - If I have my own texture with a custom rune symbol painted, its possible to give it height or reflections like you do with the ornaments included in the asset?

3 - I see the ideal scenario for this asset are more metal-wood textures, I have some models that suit that category but also have lots of rocks(for mountains), bark (for trees) which Im thinking of texturize with square tileable textures. You think I can make nice tileable rock-brick-bark textures with this asset @Sergeyv_3d ?

Thank you :)

46. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you very much for your interest in Surforge.
    I am afraid that short answer for all 3 questions is "no".

The detailed answer:
    Surforge is designed actually for creating textures from scratch, not editing textures. It's like you model your texture elements in your 3d editor, then render it to image files.
    You can't "extract" features from your diffuse maps, other than Specular and Glossiness details in Surforge. But there are many solutions for it around, from free "Awesome Bump" to really great but pricy "Knald".
    After your maps extracted and set, you could bring it to Surforge as a material preset and apply to your 3d mesh details, Poly Lasso panels.

Also, when it comes for "artificial" types of textures (panels, moldings, tiles), its is really easy to create your Normal Maps (and all other maps, of which your material consists) right in Surforge from scratch, and also save it as a material preset for future use.
    Surforge is designed around 3d mesh assets, not image assets. All it greebles are 3d models. So your rune have to be modeled in your 3d editor. There are some multi-purpose 3d greeble packs around, available for free, like "Bad King". But not all of them suitable "from the box" - you want good quality meshes, with smoothing groups set. Also you have to invest some time for setting it up in Surforge.
    There are couple of third party asset packs, already setted up for using with Surforge.
    Quite handy greebles library shipped right with Surforge, mostly sci-fi oriented.

When it comes to "organic", or "nature" things, Surforge is not good, due to being based on modeling and generating, not painting. You can't sculpt and paint with brush in it, so you cant get realistic tree branches, mossy rocks.

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  47. castor76

castor76

Get Surforge Now! It's a steal at this price point!

48. yandrako

yandrako

Thank you for the answers, sincerity and the Awesome Bump tip (look promising) I think Im gonna take Surforge anyway with the offer and use it whenever I can on the current project and for future projects :D

49. VIRTUASPHERE

VIRTUASPHERE

How do I fix this? I just imported the asset.

Attached Files:

50. VIRTUASPHERE

VIRTUASPHERE

same here