Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

updated return to cadaversby zombie webplayer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by relish3d, Jul 16, 2008.

1. relish3d

relish3d

Hiya
    After a long break because I was getting too obsessed with this thing and my brain was turning to mush I've finally added a new web player for your usual helpful comments. The zombies havent changed but I've added a fair bit of scenery and a new character standing there. Some of its isnt finished and it'll probably grind to a halt on older machines but I'd like to know what you think.
    www.soulray.co.uk/cadweb.html
    its about 20mb

cheers
    Gaz

Attached Files:

2. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Hi Gaz!

Really nice atmosphere. The slight fog and the glow on the moon makes scene really creepy. Nice job on the overall lighting as well. I cant wait to see this scene in real action. Looks awesome so far. Keep up the great work!!

I had some problems to change to the molotov the first time (model was still pistol), but when i fired, it changed to the expected model.
    On the graveyard i had some issues with "popping" shadows. It was like the shadow map is being switched, depending on player distance to the light. It was especially visible on the tombstones.

Cya

Frank

3. Achim

Achim

Hallo,

very nice scenery, and nice flames on the molotow-cocktail
    :)

4. kinl

kinl

5. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

great atmospheric scene... nice large expansive area to explore... the dark, fog shrouded light bloom effect really makes it look glooomy...

i can almost hear the ghosties wail... oooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOOOOOO :D

the molovtov cocktails are quite satisfying, but i enjoy beating the zombies to death with that trusty ole club i was carrying... then a few molotovs on em for good measure :D (would be nice if you could set em on fire as they walked or lie there undead)...

some things i noticed... i know this is a wip...

1- the shadows, (are those low res shadows) lots of ridgies, or did the program decide my machine was fast enough for smooth shadows... but the effect worked really nice... especially under the tree with the shadows on the car as the leaves moved a lil in the slight breeze...

2- i tried to throw a cocktail past the road closed sign on the road near the cemetary... the molotov appeared to hit an invisible wall and exploded in mid air (ya know people like me are gonna try this sorta stuff)...

3- the use of the alt key to open stuff... bad idea... especially for windows stuff... the demo kept jumping outta full screen when i tried to open doors and stuff... have a 'use key..the E is good...

overall... the artwork is great here... the way the scene was put together is the the strength... lots of gloomy, scariness... lots of potential here...

--Mike

6. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

This is BRILLIANT! The atmosphere is superbly creepy ... as a big fan of zombies (my best friend is a zombie) I'm seriously looking forward to seeing more.

Let's send them zombie *****s back to hell!

:) Keep up the FANTASTIC work.

7. Marc

Marc

BURN!!! Zombies. I spent hours running around trowing those molotovs. Sounds like they are loaded with a small nuke :D

8. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Hi Relish3d.

I'm liking this a lot, got that 'Silent Hill' kind of feel down - well done.

May I suggest something for those footsteps?

In your game I felt that the audio, and particularly those footsteps will become an important element, and I felt you should be using something much more subtle, quieter, slower paced and varied.

One idea might be to use a longer and more realistic recording of your own - perhaps as much as 40 seconds, perhaps on gravel. Have it present (on) all of the time but only lift the volume from zero when you walk (and raise and lower it slowly when your start/stop) - this way you will avoid the feeling of too much repeating and triggering from the start of the soundfile because the volume will come up at different points in your already playing recording - a much more natural effect.

You might use the same function and soundfile for the zombies too, and let the sound and directionality be one of the first indications a zombie is close by. If you get this subtle effect right, you will force the player to have to stop, and be still in order to check if there be zombies near. Scary stuff...

Looking forward to the next installment... :)

9. tim

tim

The swaying trees are a nice touch. I was only getting FPSs in the teens, though (assuming that's what the number in the upper right indicates).

10. Mr.Mitchel

Mr.Mitchel

wow this is great! :D

nice jod on the atmosphere and the flames.

keep on the good work :wink:

11. relish3d

relish3d

thanks for all the comments. Thats what I love about these forums, friendly people giving helpful advice (and I'm getting a nice list of things to tweak and fix too).
    The popping shadows in the graveyard has confused me for ages. For me, the torch only effects the tombstones and not the ground on my Mac (Radeon 9600) but on a PC (NVIDIA 7600) it works fine. The ground uses the standard 2 terrain bump so I'm thinking maybe its something that the ATI graphics card doesnt like in the shader?? Any thoughts?
    Red Oktober - yep I know your gonna try things like that and I'm happy you do, the projects getting so big for me to keep track of everything now so all comments from everyone are very appreciated.
    The flames were done with the help of yoggys particles tutorial (thanks for that) and I would love to have the zombies covered in flames but cant quite work out how to do individual particle collisions to spawn new flames yet.
    Thanks again, I'm working on a few new baddies and characters at the moment to make it more interesting. Then I think I'm gonna work on the audio.
    cheers
    Gaz

12. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

for igniting the zombies, you could have the fire bomb have a world particle collider and each zombie could have a mesh emitter that is turned off by default. Then the zombie could have a script like:

Code (csharp):
    1. function OnParticleCollision() {
    2.     particleEmitter.emit = true;
    3.     yield WaitForSeconds(5);
    4.     particleEmitter.emit = false;
    5. }
    If the zombies have world particle colliders on them, they can also ignite each other if they run around flaming for a few seconds.

13. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

You inspire me in a scary-evil sort of way.. :)

14. Alec

Alec

Maybe the fire could stay longer and in certain areas catch on to other objects?

15. relish3d

relish3d

Charles-thanks for that script and idea. You know, I can be really thick sometimes, I'd spent ages playing with particle colliders to try and get the fire effect without anything happening at all. I was putting the collision script on the particle emmitter instead of the objects I want it to hit!! doh!

16. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Well, that works too. You put the world collider on the particle emitter. You have to check the box to send the event (I forget what it is called). The event will happen for the emitter and the object that the particles collide on - it just depends on how you want to set it up. If you want your flames to have the logic or if you want individual objects to have a custom awareness of flames.

17. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Good job on the atmosphere, but even though you are pretty early in development I would optimize it some. Some things that are causing a lot of drain are the shadows and atmospheric smoke particles.

I don't know really what to tell you for shadows... In this lighting situation you can't get away with soft blobby stuff like lightmaps, but doing realtime shadows seems wasteful because not much moves in your scene.

Anyone want to design a CPU shadow extrusion and mesh boolean operation preprocess tool to bake mesh based shadows :p?

Also, on my machine (Mac pro with Nvidia 7300 gt) I got very very bad shadow banding. You should turn up your shadow offsets.

As for doing fog with particles, it burns a lot of fill rate. If I were you I would try some things involving the built in fog mixed with less particles than you have now, or else some pixel shader.