Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Updated] Measurements

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by vrchewal, Apr 3, 2018.

1. vrchewal

vrchewal

Howdy folks, Measurements is now available for your consideration, http://u3d.as/16hd.

Measurements is a simple tool that allows you to get real time information on an object’s width, height and depth for it’s mesh, renderer and collider. You can also choose another gameobject and Measurements will tell you the distance between the two objects from their centers as well as their closest edges. All of this in any unit of measurement you like (centimeters, meters, kilometers, inches, feet, miles, yards).

In other words, you can now easily find the size and distance information for your game objects both in editor and at runtime. You can view the information easily in editor and get real time information at runtime using the API. Read more about Measurements and the API in the Documentation.

All feedback about the asset in it's current form is appreciated as well as what you want for the future of the tool.

Links
    Asset Store Page: http://u3d.as/16hd
    Website Product Page: http://www.vrchewal.com/unity/measurements
    Documentation: Google Doc
    Support: http://www.vrchewal.com/contact

Mark_01 likes this.
  2. vrchewal

vrchewal

Updated the package with a new demo to show how you can control lights based on the distance from the player.

Mark_01 likes this.
  3. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you for making this. I hope you end up doing well with this.
    Such a good idea. Thanks man, be well.

vrchewal likes this.
  4. vrchewal

vrchewal

Thanks! I did not get a notification of your comment or I would have responded sooner. Glad its working well for you. If you have any recommendations on features you would like to see, let me know.

5. XCPU

XCPU

Excellent stuff and well written too.
    You could add the angles 'up' and 'right' on the xz and yz axis. Useful if rotating the Objects.
    The current yz, xz just seem to mirror each other, but I didn't look too close at it.

vrchewal likes this.
  6. vrchewal

vrchewal

Thanks for the feedback

7. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

How do you get the distance between the two objects from their closest edges? I didn't find anything like that in your API. Can you also select the closest vertices or points in two meshes and tell the distance between them?

8. vrchewal

vrchewal

Edge to Edge.

From the documentation, getDistance(), returns a Vector2 with x being the center to center distance and y being the edge to edge distance. Returns the values converted to your Measurement Unit.

Sorry for the delay. The forum did not notify me about this.

9. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

Hello! Question on functionality, does this have the capability to take hierarchies of meshes or colliders into account when calculating? :)

thanks!
    craig

10. vrchewal

vrchewal

I think so, but depends on the goal. You can have multiple instances running as well.

11. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

the goal would be to target a transforn and see the calculated size of all child game objects and their colliders or meshes, but aligned to the directional space of the targeting game object.

:)