Search Unity

[UPDATED] Introducing Amplify Bloom – Industry Level Post-Process Bloom

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Feb 5, 2016.

1. lemmy101

lemmy101

Hey I'm getting a frustrating issue with the lens glare on the bloom -

I have the bloom turned on on a layer that's rendering distant stars / planets, basically white circular billboards. As I rotate my camera so that a flare centre transitions from the left hand to right hand side of my screen buffer or vice versa, it will snap between two disparate angles of the streaks as I pass from looking toward the left of the flare to the right.

https://imgur.com/a/SH4y7jC

Note this happens with exactly same camera z angle, and the change in streak angle between the two shots happens instantly in one frame as soon as I move from the left / right side of the flare and looks rather horrible.

It's the only flare on the buffer in this case, and I've not noticed this happen on my star map where there are many more of them.

Any help would be much appreciated, since this is the prime reason I purchased this plugin.

PS: The project is way too big to send.

2. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for getting in touch and apologies for the delay in our response, for some reason it seems that we didn't get the forum notification!

Are you able to replicate the issue in a new project with only the Amplify Bloom Trial present?

Hello! Unfortunately, we're unable to test this without a sample with the issue present, can you please try to replicate it in a new, simple project?

Thanks!

3. sama-van

sama-van

Hello,
    The team I am working for bought the AmplifyBloom plugin last July and they are worry concerning the licence.txt file which mentions about the SOFTWARE - Amplify Bloom Trial Edition - EULA

Is the Trial label a mistake?

Since they bought the product, they do not really understand if the Amplify Bloom plugin can be used on a commercial product.
    The policy is very strict here and they would like to know more about it.

Thank you! :)

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings,

That's a mistake on our part, where did you download it from?

Which version are you currently using? (Window > Amplify Bloom > About)

Thanks!

5. NoobDoAAA

NoobDoAAA

6. Korindian

Korindian

Hi,

I really like all the features of Amplify Bloom. However, there is one thing which prevents me from using it over Unity's Post Processing Stack V2 Bloom.

This is because of the following function of Unity's PPS V2 ACES tonemapping, taken from this link.

Highly emissive (high intensity) objects become whiter with Unity's ACES implementation. In other ACES tonemappers, like Amplify Color, intensely emissive surfaces stay the original color, sort of like the image on the right.

With Unity's ACES tonemapping, Unity's PPS Bloom acts on the original color of the emissive surface (not the visible whiter surface), whereas Amplify's Bloom acts on the visible whiter surface.

Let me illustrate this below:

Below, a simple red emissive cube with HDR intensity of 3.5:

Emissive.JPG

Now add Unity's Post Processing Stack V2's ACES tonemapper (because of the higher-than-1 intensity, it becomes whiter):

Unity ACES.JPG

Next, we try Amplify Bloom. Notice the bloom color is orange-yellowish:

Unity ACES Amplify Bloom.JPG

Remove Amplify's Bloom and add Unity's PPS V2 Bloom. Notice the bloom color is the original emissive color (please excuse the jpg artifacts):

Unity ACES Unity Bloom.JPG

Here is what both blooms look like with Amplify Color's Filmic ACES tonemapping:

Amplify ACES Both Blooms.JPG

Is it possible to have Amplify's Bloom color act on the original color like Unity's Bloom does when using Unity's ACES tonemapping? As an option perhaps?

7. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there, we're not entirely sure if this is possible, we'll have to investigate this situation further in order to understand what's going on behind the scenes.

We'll be sure to get back in touch as soon as we have any information to share, thank you for understanding.

8. Blaze5565

Blaze5565

Hi,

I'm attempting to apply different bloom effects to different objects, and to do so I've created two cameras and layered one on top of the other, with culling masks corresponding to the objects that I want to apply different effects to, and a different Amplify Bloom setup on each. The problem that I've noticed is that the bloom is drawn below some objects, while the object creating that bloom is being drawn above, as demonstrated by the red circle below:
    AmplifyBloom.PNG
    For reference, the circle is drawn by the secondary, top camera, and the yellow line is being drawn by the main camera below. Of course, I want the bloom caused by the red circle to be drawn on the same layer as the red circle itself, above the yellow line. Is this something that I can fix, and am doing wrong, or is there a better way of setting this up, or can it simply not be done?

9. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! It's a bit hard to understand how you've set up your scene through that screenshot alone, since at first glance it doesn't seem like masks are being used, so a sample would be really helpful in order for us to give further insight on this behavior.

Regardless, the Bloom effect on the First Camera will always be drawn before the components of the Second Camera, which is why the second bloom is getting the luminescence from the first bloom. We do not recommend applying more than one Bloom effect to your scene, not only because of performance concerns, but also due to graphical issues and erratic behavior that might occur.

10. Blaze5565

Blaze5565

Yeah, I wasn't using masks, so I'll make sure to use that next time I want to remove bloom from something. Since you've said using more than one effect could cause issues, though, I'll just stick with the one and find another method to create something visually similar to what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

11. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

No problem, happy to help!

12. sama-van

sama-van

Hi!

The plugins has been downloaded from the Unity Store.
    Version is : Amplify Bloom 1.2.0_dev001
    We also have : Amplify Color 1.8.0_dev004

Cheers! :)

13. rizu

rizu

Curious what's the current plan on Amplify Bloom and HDRP? Is that on the table or will Bloom be deprecated once SRPs get more popular?

14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

You may disregard it, that's a mistake on our part and will be corrected soon. (the Amplify Bloom developer is away for the week)

In any case, the Asset Store EULA supersedes that file.

It's definitely on the table but porting our image effects to SRP demand a considerable amount of work, almost comparable to creating specific features from scratch in some cases.

First up will likely be Amplify Occlusion.

Stay tuned ;)

rizu likes this.
  15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

LAST CALL!

Quick heads up for anyone interested in adding Amplify Shader Editor, Amplify Impostors, or any of our other products to their collection, the Unity Asset Store CYBER WEEK MADNESS SALE ends today!

Now is the best time to get our packages at half price!

MADNESS SALE - Amplify Products at 50% OFF

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  16. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I'm currently using Unity's Post Process but I cannot use a mask to have a specific bloom only on my VFX.

But I've been told that in Amplify's Bloom there is a way to have a mask to make it so that only some elements on the screen are being bloomed.

I downloaded the standard trial package and also looking at your manual I downloaded an old project showing the bloom mask in effect (http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?ti.../Manual#Dynamic_Masking_and_Augmented_Reality).

However in the standard trial package, I don't have some of the scripts being used in the example project. Like the "Render Color Mask" component. I believe that's what allows for the masking based on layers to happen.
    I just want to test the bloom masking in my main project before purchasing.
    How should I set a bloom mask up with the Trial Package?

Amplify Bloom looks like yet another amazing tool by the way guys, great job :)

17. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there! That sample is not included in the trial package, however, you can still open the sample project with the Unity version you want to test, let it auto-upgrade and then import the latest trial version to overwrite the outdated trial version of the sample.

I've just tested this procedure with Unity 2018.3.0f2 and its working as expected:

Alternatively, you should also be able to extract the latest trial to your own project, and then copy the CompositionExample folder from the sample project into your own, haven't tested this myself but it should work as well.

FeastSC2 likes this.
  18. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Do the masking scripts exist in the asset store version?

19. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

No, we only provide them as a sample that is available through our wiki, so it's not included into any of the AB builds.

Did you manage to get it working on the latest version with the steps shared in my previous post?

20. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I haven't tried to put it in yet since I thought it would be in the main asset and I'd just buy it.
    Why not include it in the normal asset? Is it something that specific, is it super costly or something?

I'll be fine figuring it out anyway. Thanks for the anwers.

21. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

I believe there was no particular reason, it was likely to keep the package size as small as possible, and perhaps due to the specificity of the sample as well since we haven't had many requests regarding it.

FeastSC2 likes this.
  22. Editali

Editali

Hi guys
    I want to rotate lens glares by code but I found nothing nether by googling nor code digging. Does anyone know how can I achieve that? I want to rotate glares related to some other objects properties.

23. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! Unfortunately, this is a very specific request and is outside of the scope of our package.

If you could provide more information regarding the effect you're trying to accomplish, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

24. Editali

Editali

I am making a 2.5D game and here is my situation:
    I have no camera-rotation, so glare effects will sit there like a static cross at the middle of screen, so I want to rotate them slightly as camera moves to make the scene more alive. After that, there are situations of objects which get behind glare effect and hard to see, so if I could rotate glare they will be more obvious.

25. Ruchir

Ruchir

Is there a way of integrating amplify bloom with the new hdrp and post processing stack? :)

26. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

I'm not entirely sure how and if this can be achieved, but I'll be sharing more information if we find a possible solution for this.

Hello, as we've mentioned in a previous post, it's on the table but we can offer no ETA at this time.

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings,

We've decided to focus our resources exclusively on the official Unity forum! We're disabling our own hosted forums but the old posts will remain available for future reference.

Due to popular demand, we’ve also created an official Discord Channel. Here you’ll be able to interact with other Amplify Users, discuss our products, share feedback and your work. This is a new experience for us so we ask that you be patient and provide feedback on what you think we could improve.

Official Discord channel - Join us today!

28. DavoMyan

DavoMyan

So Amplify Bloom doesn't work while Post Processing (v2) is active, how can I fix this?? Literally just bought it...

Edit: Nevermind, disabling ''Directly to Camera Target'' from PPV2 component fixed it!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Editali and hopeful like this.
  29. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great to know, thanks!

30. josterday

josterday

"Directly to Camera Target" is only present in 2019 PPSv2. Not necessary in 2018.3 to our knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wanted to clarify that.

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not sure about that actually, I don't have any additional information to share in regards to that.

32. Korindian

Korindian

Hi there, just checking if there is any news about post #156 from Nov last year?

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Not directly regarding that post, we've been receiving a few requests in regards to the techniques we use but we're not ready to supply any significant changes to the available Amplify Bloom package.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Korindian likes this.
  34. Whatever560

Whatever560

Regarding this, are you going to fix this almost 1 year old issue ?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/upd...post-process-bloom.384210/page-3#post-3654451

Because the plugin is somewhat unusable without it, the bloom quality is very good but the tonemapping is also a much needed feature.

35. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Thank you for checking back, we really appreciate it as it seems a reply was planned there but for some reason wasn't shared. I should point out that the support dev that got back to you is no longer working with us.

To elaborate, this does not seem to necessarily be Bloom issue, so to speak, it could be the actual PPS output given that the result is only faulty with the stack grading enabled. I could be mistaken here but I think Amplify Bloom would need to run before the PPS, let me confirm with the actual AB creator.

Since Amplify Bloom doesn't officially support the PPS, I'm not entirely sure that a workaround is viable.

I will get back to you with additional details ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.

36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello again,

I'm afraid it's not going to be possible execute it before the Stack. Amplify Bloom would have to support the Stack in order to define if it runs before or after. Unfortunately, Amplify Bloom, as with many Image Effects, was never designed to run with the Unity PPS; we can't simply add support for it, in our case the work involved would justify creating a new bloom solution instead.

Even if there was a safe way to force it to run before the PPS this would introduce problems with other effect combinations such as SSAO.

Our apologies for the inconvenience but there's really not much we can do at the moment.

Thank you for understanding.

37. AxonGenesis

AxonGenesis

Looking for some guidance on customizing Amplify Bloom to work with Dome Tools, if at all possible. I am able to apply bloom to it, but because the dome render a fisheye cubemap, it shows seams at the edges of the cube panels. Is there a way to render the whole cubemap frame with Amplify Bloom applied to it after? I haven't tried and don't know if the programmable render pipeline is the way to go.

Any tips or pointers?
    Thanks

38. AxonGenesis

AxonGenesis

I should have also mentioned that I'm using Unity 2019.

39. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there @Amplify_Ricardo !
    I've been using Amplify products for quite some years now :)
    Yet, Amplify Bloom seems to have been left... a bit behind with the updates (2018)

It's really nice that you're still providing support for it (I believe it's more than 3 years now! Kudos for that!)

I was wondering: is the roadmap for Amplify Bloom empty? Do you have some good news in the near future (idk, performance improvement, features)?

Maybe you're waiting for PostProcessing Stack 3.0?

40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Our apologies but we're not entirely familiar with Dome Tools so we can't say for sure. As this is not the intended Amplify Bloom use, it's probably best to contact the tool developer; there's a good chance they already encountered this problem with other image effects.

We understand what you mean, and we appreciate your feedback.

We will definitely continue to support it whenever possible but I'm afraid there have been a couple of developments for which AB was not made for. The main issue, so to speak, is the Post Processing Stack which requires a complete rewrite equivalent to creating a new image effect from scratch in some cases; PPS v3 completely locks out custom image effects for the time being.

I wouldn't say our roadmap is closed but we're going to wait a while before committing to a PPS or SRP related solution.

Thanks!

41. AxonGenesis

AxonGenesis

Thanks, I will check with the creator of Dome Tools to see if they have any insight.

I also wanted to share that after playing around with the settings more, I got decent results that I can move forward with. If anyone else runs into this issue, you can increase the render buffer sizes for the cube map of dome tools to get a higher res render which minimizes the artifacts. There are still occasionally seems visible when bloomed objects pass the edges of the cube map, but the beauty the bloom adds far outweighs the artifacts imho. I'll report back if I discover a better solution.

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome, let us know how it works, and thank you for sharing!

43. Whatever560

Whatever560

Could it be possible to instead have a hotfix on the Post Processing Stack V2 ? As the source is open. We are entitled to ship with 2017.4 LTS and we'd definitelly like to have access to tonemapping for the finalization stage.