Search Unity

[UPDATED] Introducing Amplify Bloom – Industry Level Post-Process Bloom

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Feb 5, 2016.

1. hopeful

hopeful

If it's practical, maybe at some point Amplify can release an integrated plugin (color, motion, bloom) that combines those features that work efficiently in a single pass?

jonfinlay and rrahim like this.
  2. mcmorry

mcmorry

It's just a supposition but the only effects that could be merged should be Color and Bloom, because Motion requires very different steps. But if there is space even for a small performance improvement why not :)

3. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Nice idea, it could also include Amplify's free FXAA, I use that as well and always get good results.

hopeful likes this.
  4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for your purchase, we really appreciate it. It's entirely up to you, depending on your project current settings you might need to tweak them but it shouldn't be an issue; the bloom effect is applied independently. Let us know if you run into any issues, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's a great idea, It's actually something we have been looking into for a while, we might be able to provide something along those lines in the future but at the moment we cannot guarantee it.

Thanks for using it, it's great know that you are happy with it. Due to the way assets are distributed it's best to keep it in a different package. Bundle support in the Unity Asset Store would be awesome.

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

7. ZJP

ZJP

BAM!!! Another One.... :cool::eek:

Amplify_Ricardo and mcmorry like this.
  8. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, I saw that, and it looks good. I feel confident using their products.

Though once again I'm thinking some ms could be saved if these were combined ... ;)

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I hope you like it, as always a fully functional trial is available. Who knows, we might be able to squeeze a few ms in the future.

Thanks!

hopeful likes this.
  10. mcmorry

mcmorry

I can't find an official thread on the forum. I wanted to ask if Amplify Occlusion could work on high end mobile devices and smoothly disable itself when not supported.

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for your interest, we really appreciate it. We haven't announced Amplify Occlusion yet but we will create a dedicated thread soon. It should work but we don't really recommend it for performance reasons, you can disable it at any time.

Thanks!

12. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

Hey there! The effects stack looks really nice, the masking caught my attention in particular, but I couldn't find a more detailed expanation on that. I am looking for a solution where I can only apply bloom to specific emissive surfaces and lights because I don't want other surfaces to be overexposed in VR, where the effect would be amplified to an uncomfortable degree. Because it's in VR, I can't simply use HDR, so I am looking for a solution where I can mask the lights only.

Could you please elaborate on if/how I could accomplish this with your software?

13. MS80

MS80

Amplify Color & Bloom are able to work with mask (render texture), Amplify provides two good sample scenes:

http://amplify.pt/wp-content/download/AmplifyColorMaskSample.zip
    http://amplify.pt/wp-content/download/AmplifyBloomMaskSample.zip

Also have a look at the manual, it gives information about all features in detail:
    http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-bloom/manual/

argosy_ops likes this.
  14. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

Ah, thanks! So they're essentially parenting a second camera so its view is synchronized with the player camera and use culling masks. I see that approach working for individual light objects, but let's say you have a wall panel with various lit elements using a multi-material or an emissive texture. Don't see that working, or at least have no immediate idea on how to mask those components.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That particular case might a bit more tricky but AB offers a comprehensive set of thresholds and Mip Weights that allow you to accurately tweak its effect. We would be happy to walk you trough the process of tweaking it to your specific needs, feel free to contact us directly at support@amplify.pt.

Thanks!

argosy_ops likes this.
  17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

The latest game from Milkstone Studios, developers of the popular Ziggurat, takes you on a journey through Ancient Egypt. Death awaits at every corner, if you like challenging games, this one is for you! Amplified both by our Bloom and Motion blur solution, it’s a great usage example.

Full Post - Amplify Creations Blog
    Amplify Bloom - Product Page
    Amplify Motion - Product Page

18. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

Hi,
    I downloaded the latest amplify bloom from store and tested on 5.3.6f1.
    These produces great effects but costing a lot of extra drawcalls.Even an empty scene(only camera/skybox) with 1 drawcall when used with amplify bloom gave following results:
    • Realistic setting/Only bloom activated/low precision is causing draw calls to jump from 1 to 27.o_O
    • Natural setting/Only bloom activated/low precision is causing draw calls to jump from 1 to 21.:(
    • Using Unity bloom optimized caused drawcalls to jump from 1 to 5.
    This drawcalls increase is causing fps drops when using amplify bloom in games on mobile devices.
    Can i somehow reduce drawcalls while using amplify bloom on mobile devices?

Thanks,
    DS

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for using Amplify Bloom, we really appreciate it. That's normal, as with other image effects, the draw call cost relates directly to the features used. To be more specific, each blit operation, treshold used, downscale, or any other feature, all contribute to the final count. You can reduce the overall draw call count by using a lower Mip value, and turning off some of the provided features.

It's a good idea to maintain a low draw call count on mobile devices but in this particular case, and with other image effects, the processing cost relates directly to actual image manipulation required to generate the effect. What's your lowest targeted mobile device?

There are a couple of things you can do to improve performance.
    • Use the Natural technique.
    • Take advantage of the Downscale option.[Full/Half/Quarter]
    • Use the Low Precision mode.
    • Disable less noticeable features(Bokeh etc), and use a smaller amount of Mips
    Let us know if the information above helps, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Both Amplify Color and Amplify Bloom now include single-pass stereo support, try it today!

zyzyx likes this.
  21. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

why do my amplify bloom/occlusion not show up under image effects. I get no errors no nothing. Confused as to why this is happening. I have the latest versions. My clients are using 5.3.5f1

22. QuadMan

QuadMan

Is this mobile friendly?

23. willtrax

willtrax

I really like the bloom effect and the ability to only view the bloom for fine-tuning is a very nice touch. Unfortunately the amount of garbage created each frame makes this asset unusable for my title. Garbage exceeds 1k per frame if you have all options like lens-flare etc enabled.

I fiddled around with the primary script and was able to cut the garbage down some by reusing many of the RenderTextures to avoid calling a new tempRenderTexture each frame. Unfortunately, the downsample process still generates garbage as it loops through a large number of renderTextures of various sizes.

Again I like the effect and hope the memory-side can be improved in the future. thanks

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply, something might be up with the forum notifications.
    Have you tried importing it into an empty project? There might be something else preventing it from being imported correctly, check the editor console during the import process.

Looking forward for additional information, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It might be a bit performance intensive for older devices but we do provide a few optimization options that could allow you to use it on mobile. What's your minimum targeted device?

There are a couple of things you can do to improve performance.
    • Use the Natural technique.
    • Take advantage of the Downscale option.[Full/Half/Quarter]
    • Use the Low Precision mode.
    • Disable less noticeable features(Bokeh etc), and use a smaller amount of Mips
    Let us know if the information above helps, thanks!

QuadMan likes this.
  26. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hi willtrax, thank you so much for your feedback.

We decided to avoid reusing temporary render textures because it is stated on the RenderTexture.GetTemporary() documentation that it's more efficient this way, specially for mobile.

Unfortunately there was an issue with some older Unity versions where it was doing wrong allocations when fetching temporary render textures. I tested our sample project using the latest stable Unity version(5.4.1.f1) and according to the profiler has no allocations on our plugin.

What Unity version are you using and where are the allocations being made?

We would really like to help with your issue so you can use Amplify Bloom on your title.

27. willtrax

willtrax

I appreciate the reply. I'm actually on Unity 5.1.1. Unfortunately I have an old effect which is key to my title that prevents me from upgrading. Perhaps the memory challenge is related to some bug that was squashed in a later version of Unity. In case it helps, here's the profiler data from the demo scene included in the asset. This was a fresh import into a clean project.

As you can see the garbage is generated by calling for the temporary RT through the AmplifyUtils script.

There is garbage generated by each method calling for a temporary RT. I want to say when I fiddled with the scripts it was around 40 bytes per RT called each frame.

Thanks for taking a look at the issue. I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions, the effect looks great and I'd really like to incorporate it if the GC can be managed down some.

28. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Unfortunately this is the exact bug I was referring on my previous post. It's not Amplify Bloom which is allocating memory but Unity internal RenderTexture.GetTemporary().

On our end we cannot do much about this old issue since modifying the source to decrease the amount of render textures and reuse them would compromise the plugin performance specially in mobile.

You won't like what I'll suggest, but for now the only solution is for you to modify Bloom on your end to reuse temporary render textures as much as possible and have RenderTexture.GetTemporary() called to a minimum.

Have you already tried to contact the developer of your key effect so he could update it to the latest Unity version?

The advantages of this would be far greater then any other solution.

In any case we'll try to figure something out and if we come across a solution we'll get in touch with you.

29. willtrax

willtrax

Thanks for taking a look at it. It sounds like this issue is specific to my version of Unity. No sense for you to spend time on an edge-case like this but I really appreciate useful feedback that helped narrow down the issue. I'll revisit the effect down the road and if I come across anything helpful I'll be sure to pass it along.

30. ksam2

ksam2

Not working anymore with unity 5.5b3

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Unfortunately, Unity beta versions are not officially supported. In any case, we will get it up and running as soon as possible. Be sure to check back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

ksam2 likes this.
  32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone,

We updated our download system, use your Unity invoice numbers to access any of your Amplify Packages. Due to Asset Store review and submission times, the version in our own site is always the most recent.

Amplify Products - Download Page

Thanks!

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Event[0] is an award-winning narrative exploration game where you must build a relationship with a lonely spaceship computer to get home. It makes extensive use of Amplify Products. It’s a great example of how to combine multiple Amplify image effects, the Color grading is well thought out and the use of Bloom and Occlusion helps ground the visual style. We strongly recommend that you check it out, you wont find anything else quite like it.

Event[0] - Get it on Steam!

Amplify Occlusion - Product Page
    Amplify Color - Product Page

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  35. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Space Pirate Trainer is the official trainer for wannabe space pirates on the HTC Vive. What if you could jump instantly into an immersive arcade simulation? This top selling VR game takes you there; fighting off relentless waves of droids with all the weapons and gadgets you would ever need as a Space Pirate. It’s a great example of how to to take advantage of Amplify Color and Amplify Bloom with full support for Single Pass Stereo.

Space Pirate Trainer - Get it on Steam!

Amplify Color - Product Page

36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

37. mm1982

mm1982

Hi,

I tried the trial asset, and like how it looks. It doubles my draw calls (batches) though. I tried it in just a couple simple scenes, 100 batches went to 200, and another from 30 to 60. Is that expected? Will it just end up doubling however many draw calls I have already?

I am using just the Bloom and Lens Dirt features.

Thanks

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Depending on the features used, a small increase is expected. How many mips are you using? It would be great to know what others values were used, a screenshot of your bloom component would be very helpful.

Thanks!

39. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

Hey, I just installed the latest patch release (5.5.0p4) only get a pink screen with this error in the console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Invalid pass number (15) for Graphics.Blit (Material "Hidden/AmplifyBloom" with 1 passes)
    2. UnityEngine.Graphics:Blit(Texture, RenderTexture, Material, Int32)
    3. AmplifyBloom.AmplifyBloomBase:ApplyGaussianBlur(RenderTexture, Int32, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/Standard Assets/AmplifyBloom/Plugins/AmplifyBloomBase.cs:378)
    4. AmplifyBloom.AmplifyBloomBase:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/Standard Assets/AmplifyBloom/Plugins/AmplifyBloomBase.cs:570)
    Cheers!

40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, thank you for reporting it.

Which Amplify Bloom version do you currently use? You can check it out under Window > Amplify Bloom > About.

Looking forward to your reply.

41. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

Thank you for the quick reply, I am currently using 1.1.0_dev002.

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Updating Amplify Bloom should resolve the issue, be sure to let us know if that is not the case. Please download the latest package directly from the Asset Store or, alternatively, from our website using your Invoice number.

Thanks!

43. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

Thank you for the tip, the asset store version actually did the trick. The one from your website seems to be an older one (no updates were necessary) :)

44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Happy to hear it. That's odd, we will check it out asap.

Thanks!

45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hyper Gods is a multiplayer arcade game focused on sense of speed and dazzling space visuals. Challenge a friend and shoot, boost, drift and hyper-jump your way to victory. It’s a great example of how to take Amplify Bloom to the limit in a stylized setting.

Amplify Bloom Trial - Download

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

New Amplify Bloom update, now with Unity 5.6 support!

Amplify Motion - Product Page

47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Madness Sale!

Get Amplify Bloom for only $17.50.

Amplify Bloom - Asset Store Page
    Fully Functional Trial Version - Download

What does Firewatch, p.a.m.e.l.a., Manifold Garden, Rust, The Forest, Night In The Woods, Broforce and Star Wars Journeys Ep 1 – to name a few – have in common? Check out our full suite of Amplify Unity Products and find out what they can do for your project.

48. ChannexDK

ChannexDK

We absolutely love your effects and already use them in our games. For our next title we are evaluating the latest Unity version and we were wondering if you had any plans to release a version that integrates with the "new" post effect stack? (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing)

The ability to have camera setup as a resource and save post effect blits is really awesome, but the bloom effect that comes with the effect stack is crap compared to yours. A version that integrates with the stack would therefore be awesome :)

spaceemotion likes this.
  49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you, really happy to know that you had a nice experience with our products. Unfortunately, although it seems like it's something that could be done, our external image effects cannot currently be integrated into the stack.

We will continue to look into possible alternatives or custom solutions, our products are still some of the most flexible and fastest image effects currently available in the Asset Store.

Thanks!

50. spaceemotion

spaceemotion