Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. julianr

julianr

Happy with the results :) Just need to apply them to 34 other zombies now!
    newzombiesystem.JPG

jonfinlay, Tethys and arnesso like this.
  2. julianr

julianr

1.1.15 is now available, does it require Unity 5.3.2 ? I'm using it on 5.2.4, seems ok apart from one or two errors which I commented out and didn't really impact on the rest of the asset.

3. julianr

julianr

Hi Pit - I've setup a rag doll and use it for the Corpse, it falls to the ground as it should but the original creature gameObject remains and is still animating. Any ideas?

Edit: no worries I figured it out, it didn't have a gameObject.destroy on the m_Owner under the corpse function. However, It would probably be better if I just make it non-active so its re-used on the pooling.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  4. Pequisto

Pequisto

I feel a bit silly but since the most recent update, I'm seeing the following error and aside from commenting out the offending code, I can't seem to solve it:

Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureTools.cs(50,71): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GroundCheckType' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

5. icetec

icetec

Hi Julian, if you are using soft-respawn in the pool management the creature will be automatically deactivated and re-used, just the corpse object will be destroyed at the end of the defined respawn delay time.

julianr likes this.
  6. icetec

icetec

Hi Pequisto, it sounds that you have overwritten your existing ICE installation. Please close your scene and remove the old ICE folder from your project before installing the new version to make sure that obsolete files will not been mixed with the new sources. ICECreatureControl v1.1 comes with dozens of improved and new features and also with some structural changes, therefore I would like to recommend you to install the new version at first in an empty project to learn and understand the changes before updating your given project.

If you have further questions please feel free to contact me again.

Pequisto likes this.
  7. julianr

julianr

I wasn't using the built in pooling, to set everything up. But from your reply I understand that the pooling takes care of the deactivation of the owner gameObject and leaves the corpse after. I use a 3rd party pooling/spawning system, that spawns AI based on certain criteria. such as the number of AI left in the game, add more if it falls below a certain number, or trigger waves.

8. icetec

icetec

That's correct, if Soft-Respawn is flagged your creature will be deactivated and re-used again according to its pool settings, but you could also decative the pool management to handle these features by custom scripts, in such a case you should activate the Soft-Respawn flag to make sure that your creature will not be destroyed by the ICECreatureRegister, because (independent of the pool management) the register makes sure to clean-up all registered objects if they are not required e.g. a dead creature etc.

btw. you can register or deregister each object just by calling something like this ...
    ICECreatureRegister.Instance.Register(gameObject);
    ICECreatureRegister.Instance.Deregister(gameObject);
    If a gameobject was deregistered it will be ignored by other ice objects and the creature register as well, but this just as additional information ...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Tethys and julianr like this.
  9. julianr

julianr

Thanks Pit. Good advice!

icetec likes this.
  10. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hi, i'm interested in this asset. My caracters are '3d sprites' where i switch the animation of the sprite given its action and orientation. So i need to be able to change an 'action' string variable in a script rather than an animation. Is this something easily feasible ? (Oh and btw i didn't find your email)

11. Gruguir

Gruguir

I don't meen to be rude, but i'm disappointed by the 'hunter demo' i've just tried. That doesn't looks like what is promoted on the store. Animals nearly all react the same way, doesn't react to the sound of a gunshot... is there a better in-game example, also birds flocks, fishes ? I understand that the user should setting it up himself but at least i'd need a good proof of concept to decide to purchase.

Edit : I just managed to load the ICECreatureControlDemo webPlayer, which is more complete

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  12. julianr

julianr

Hi Pit. I have an issue.. I have a 3 level building.. if the AI is on the 3rd level, and I am on the 2nd, it will go to my location on the 3rd floor and attack, but I am not there (still on the 2nd floor). Is there a setting to only detect the player horizontally, but not vertically?

I set a VC (Visibility check) and FOV (Field Of View) but these did not seem to make a difference, the creature still attacked the player, even though it wasn't on the same floor, but directly underneath it. I do notice a verticle line gizmo from the player going down to the next floor.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  13. icetec

icetec

Hi Julian, it's fixed ... I'm currently upload an update which covers this issue. I have done also a demo scene which shows how it works with different level ... In addition to that I'll update also the gizmos within the next day.

julianr and Adrad like this.
  14. icetec

icetec

Hi Gruguir,
    birds and fishes are currently not supported, both will be implemented in the next major update. But if you want steering ICE by your own scripts you can find here http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/docs/html/index.html the API reference and in addition to that the ICECreatureControl class is already prepared to implement your own code (http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/d...1_1_creatures_1_1_i_c_e_creature_control.html).

creature access example ...

Code (CSharp):
    2. public override void UpdateComplete()
    3. {
    4.     Creature.Behaviour.SetBehaviourModeByKey( "CHANGED_ANIMATION" );
    6.     if( Creature.Move.MovePositionReached )
    7.         Creature.SetActiveTarget( MyOwnTarget );
    9.     if( Creature.Status.HealthInPercent <= 20 )  
    10.     {
    11.         BroadcastMessageDataObject _msg = new BroadcastMessageDataObject();
    13.         _msg.Command = "HELP";
    14.         _msg.BahaviourKey = "RUN_TO_GROUPMEMBER";
    15.         Creature.SendGroupMessage( _msg );
    16.     }
    18.     if( Creature.Status.HungerInPercent > 50 )  
    19.         Creature.Status.AddHunger( -0.25f );
    20. }
    I'm sorry that there are not more demo scenes at the moment but I'll provide further demos within the next days and weeks but I hope the given information will be also helpful to you. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me (support@icecreaturecontrol.com) and in urgent cases you can also reach also me via skype.

Have a nice day!

Pit

julianr likes this.
  15. broesby

broesby

:(:confused::( Missed the price increase post.... Hmmm, must have postponed buying ICE at least 3 times over some terrain asset - damn you Adam Goodrich, author of Gaia, who got me even more addicted to terrains than before... :rolleyes:

Well, I will quit whinig and start saving ;)

16. icetec

icetec

Don't worry, there will be special offers and also a free lite version in the future ... and Gaia is brilliant so it was a good deal :)

broesby likes this.
  17. julianr

julianr

Thanks. Appreciate the fix and fast turnaround - great support!

18. Teila

Teila

Pit, we were so excited about the update but unfortunately, 5.3.2 gives us problems so I wonder if you could release it for 5.2.3 or lower? Most people I know are not yet using 5.3 due to bugs.

Tethys, broesby and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  19. Gruguir

Gruguir

@icetec thank you for the info, i keep a look at it :)

20. icetec

icetec

Hi Teila, yes of course ... should not be a big deal! I'll do it with the next minor update which comming within the next days ...

21. Teila

Teila

Fantastic! Thank you. :)

22. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey Pit, when I set up a gecko with the mecamim controls to move and to be idle, the walk works fine, but when I set the creature forward speed to 0 the gecko continues to play its walking animation. However, when I manually tested it in scene view by using the sliders the animation correctly stops and the gecko changes into its idle pose.

Also, is it currently possible for the player to control the creature by clicking on a point on the screen for it to walk there? So Ice is used as a point and click character controller? I think this is feasible, the mouse click would just choose the new target. It would be easy to make a game if something like this was implemented.

Additionally, I always set the Home as the the den of the animals, where they would relax while awaiting something to do. This doesn't seem possible any because the Leisure and Travel behaviours have been replaced with Idle and Walk, and now when at Home they always run the Walk behaviour, and it says in the manual that the Home should be out of sight. Should a new Home be set up as a separate mission?

Finally, a frog which I have moves correctly but it is facing to the side. Is this an issue with the original model, which I would need to contact the developer to fix? I was thinking that it had been imported incorrectly.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  23. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

UFPS adapter throwing errors at import.
    I am using Unity 5.3 and the new ICE

Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Adapter/UFPS/ICECreatureUFPSPlayer.cs(29,25): error CS0103: The name `CreatureRegister' does not exist in the current context

24. julianr

julianr

25. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thanks, that fixed it.

Another question. Where do I find a Playmaker tutorial?

The Playmaker demo is NOT available to download

And I would like a quick guide to playmaker in ICE.

Btw. Your new tutorial with the ICE Wizard where you speak was very good and I am sure we would all like to see more of these kind of tutorials.

Are you from Germany?

26. icetec

icetec

Hi eagleeyez, you will find a playmaker adapter in the adapter folder of v1.1. Add this script to your creature and load the ICECreaturePlayMakerTemplate.asset to use it as template for PlayMaker ...

btw. I'll do more videos like the last one in the near future ... and yeap, I'm from germany

27. icetec

icetec

Hi Jon, I'll check this issue ...

... for this you will find the ICECreatureMouseTarget in the utilities folder, just create an empty GameObject (or a visual object as well), add this script and assign the target to your creature ... now you can control your creature by your mouse ... btw. if you want also control behaviours you can use the Key Input of the selection criterias ...

I'm sorry for changing this but travel, leisure and redezvous seemed to confuse the user ... travel is run, leisure is walk and rendezvous is idle ... the functions behind the keys still the same, just the wording was changed ... if you want that a creature have to wait after reaching the TargetMovePosition just decativate the update of the random possition or reset the positioning range to zero ...

The default rotation of your frog and its childs should be 0,0,0, so the frog is facing to the positive z direction but if this not given you could create an empty object and add your frog as child to it ... add now ICECreatureControl to the new 'parent' object and it should be able to control the child with the animation ... I hope this will be helpfull to you ...

Have a nice day!

Pit

jonfinlay likes this.
  28. icetec

icetec

Sounds that you are using an old adapter. You will find the latest UFPS adapter in the adapter folder of v1.1 ...

29. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Thanks for the response. Potentially that MouseTarget is excellent, it could allow for many kinds of games without the need for programming, since it would be a character controller and AI system in one. When I tested it however, I had two problems:

1. The creature would often stop and pause then continue moving to the target.
    2. Quite often the mouse click doesn't register.

I'll have another look at it, but if you know any reasons for this please let me know.

julianr likes this.
  30. icetec

icetec

Hi Jon, please check you pm ... i have send you an update which should fixed the posted issue ... this minor update will also availabe in the asset store in some days ...

jonfinlay likes this.
  31. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thanks again,

I never would have thought of Templates, I was looking for Actions. So there are no FSM’s and no actions?

I do wish for more in-depth tutorials with spoken explanations and how to think about it.

If you send me some walk through text tutorials in German. I will make some explanatory videos myself for YouTube in British English. I am English but have been living for over 20years in Heidelberg.

- Using Playmaker with ICE

- Using UPFS with ICE

- Using Unistorm with ICE

- Knowing if character controller, Rigidbody, Animator or Animation, which is better for what scenario?

How about Adventure creator integration or motion controller / actor controller

So at the moment I just have to puzzle my way through. But I would be glad to help as soon as I start getting to grips with ICE and third party assets.

32. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I've had Motion Controller on my wishlist for ages, but the problem is with that, like any other character controller, would be how could ICE affect the animations on a third person controller? UFPS is different (and easier), because it only needs to affect the damage. The simpliest and most effective way would be if ICE handled everything, including the player controls. Which is why this MouseClick Target script is a step in the right direction. Future updates could include keyboad input, so you have direct control over the player, and could be combined with ICE's built-in IK and physics based forces coming in the future. Problem is it a lot of work for one person to do.

33. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I've just installed the update but the same problems are there, it may be related to these two error messages:

Animator.GotoState: State could not be found
    UnityEngine.Animator:CrossFade(String, Single, Int32, Single)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.AnimationObject:play(BehaviourModeRuleObject) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureAnimation.cs:342)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.BehaviourObject:NextBehaviorModeRule(Boolean) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureBahavior.cs:866)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.BehaviourObject:SetBehaviourModeByKey(String) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureBahavior.cs:843)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.CreatureObject:SetActiveTarget(TargetObject) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_Creature.cs:1170)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.CreatureObject:SelectBestTarget() (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_Creature.cs:1093)
    ICE.Creatures.ICECreatureController:React() (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ICECreatureController.cs:496)
    ICE.Creatures.<CoUpdate>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ICECreatureController.cs:96)

Invalid Layer Index '-1'
    UnityEngine.Animator:CrossFade(String, Single, Int32, Single)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.AnimationObject:play(BehaviourModeRuleObject) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureAnimation.cs:342)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.BehaviourObject:NextBehaviorModeRule(Boolean) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureBahavior.cs:866)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.BehaviourObject:SetBehaviourModeByKey(String) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_CreatureBahavior.cs:843)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.CreatureObject:SetActiveTarget(TargetObject) (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_Creature.cs:1170)
    ICE.Creatures.Objects.CreatureObject:SelectBestTarget() (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ice_Creature.cs:1093)
    ICE.Creatures.ICECreatureController:React() (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ICECreatureController.cs:496)
    ICE.Creatures.<CoUpdate>c__Iterator0:MoveNext() (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/ICECreatureController.cs:96)

34. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

What I really, really like is the way you tap into the mecanim controller. We just throw everything we want to maybe animate into a controller and without bothering about mecanim we can use the animations as needed. I very much hate having to link everything in mecanim. I just want to say if this happens blend to that animation and if that happens then do that animation. So if you want something to attack it can choose between hundreds of attack animations randomly or skillfully. This is where you have to put your attention, so that animations stay a list and not a node. Then I can prefab creatures to their specific tasks, ability’s and complexities. Then in a game just throw one in and it has its own intelligence.

What is with mixing animations like in mecanim? Top does that, while the bottom does something else.

julianr likes this.
  35. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I'm still quite unfamiliar with mecanim. But I did notice huge improvement with using it over the legacy system, especially when I was testing it I could adjust the speed by moving the slider, and the animal would speed up or slow to a stop so naturally. This is even more important in the case of animals, a lion running doesn't just come to a sudden stop like a human could. Certainly the improved mecanim support was the best addition in this update, but I've spent ages getting it set up properly and it's still not right. I think it's because I'm using different animals from different developers, and it's possible the animator controller has been set up differently which is affecting the movement. It would be great if there was a animator controller template we could use designed especially for best results with ICE, which we could recreate for each animal. I noticed in the manual it said that transitions are not used, but it doesn't say if we should manually remove the transitions from the controller. Better still would be system which didn't use a animator controller, but I'm not sure if it is possible.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  36. icetec

icetec

Hi Jon, if you are using the DIRECT animation mode with the animator controller all animations should have the same name as the used states ... create a new animator controller, drag&drop your desired animations in it and assign the controller to the animator component of your creature this should fixed the error.

btw. in this case you don't need to define transitions you can do it in the animation settings of the behaviour rules ...

jonfinlay likes this.
  37. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi, you will always need an animator for mecanim.

I have seen many controllers and they are all too complicated, sadly.

Just think about this.

I make a prefab with lots of animations and AI possibilities like:

- Needs toilet (find suitable place, goto first and do not attack before finished)

- Hunger (go to eating places, (random)

- Sleep (tired and don’t want to fight)

- Aggressive and willing (go find an enemy)

- And so on and on…

This is all in for example one Troll prefab. With your program, when you place one into the scene the program will automatically give it a character that maybe needs the toilet but is then ready to fight. This way you get different characters from one prefab. So the next copy I place could be a troll that is not hungry but forgot his weapon and goes to steel an axe as he wants to fight.

So this means let ICE place 50 trolls, but they are all individuals with similar goals but different problems to first overcome.

This is just a thought construction of mine, so nobody has to take it seriously.

jonfinlay likes this.
  38. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I'm actually using the Advanced animation method, and using the Creature Forward Speed for the Forward motion for the player, and Direct animations for the AI controlled crab and gecko. But in any case I'm quite sure the names don't match up as I haven't touched the Animator Controllers, so I'll take a look at that, thanks.

39. icetec

icetec

In addition to the lagacy animation ICE provides you two possibilities to working mecanim. If you are using the DIRECT mode you need just to drag and drop the desired animations to an empty controller (without any transitions etc. see also my last post) but if you want to control the animations by using the features of the controller you can use the ADVANCED mode so that ICE provides the controller with the defined steering parameter. Please open the ICE TutorialMecanimLocomotion to learn more about these possibilities ...

here you will find a small example which demonstrates how ICE works with conditions …

40. icetec

icetec

If you are using the advanced mode it should not be a problem but maybe you have a behaviour which is still using the DIRECT mode ...

41. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Yeah, the player is using the Advanced, it automatically took the names direct from the AC. I think those error messages were from the frog, which is spawned in various places, and not related to the mouse click.

42. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Pit,
    I'm using ICE with Opsive's Third Person Controller and would like my TPC character to receive damage from ICE creatures. I'm supposed to call 'virtual void Opsive.ThirdPersonController.Health.Damage but that's all I know. Is it possible to integrate ICE with TPC because these two will make a great system.

julianr likes this.
  43. julianr

julianr

I'd second this. It would be beneficial as a lot of people are using TPC now. I'm implementing it into my game this week.

44. gecko

gecko

Very interested in this, but a few questions:

1) Does anyone know if it'll work nicely with Mesh Animator, for herds of animals? @twobob, have you tried that?

2) UniStorm adaptor is great...but any chance of a Tenkoku adaptor?

3) In the Hunter webplayer demo, the animals have some problems on slopes (walking in place, sliding sideways). Can that be improved with more care in the settings? (Would be great if the demo showed the best reasonable behavior in that regard.)

4) Also in the Hunter demo, the kittens freeze up after it's been running for a couple minutes -- I have a field of 30 kittens, all frozen in mid-pounce. What's going on with that?

5) And in the Basics webplayer demo, the human NPCs don't turn very naturalistically -- their body rotation lags the turn. This is pretty noticeable in humans, and I think would be even more so in animals. Is that improvable?

6) How easily extensible is ICE? It looks quite feature-rich, but we'd undoubtedly need additional behaviors that are particular to our gameplay. We can code those ourselves if ICE is easy to hook into (and not likely to break with future updates).

And @jonfinlay -- your Africa screenshots look great, but would it be possible to post a video or webplayer to see what you've achieved with herd and predator-prey behavior?

thanks!
    Dave

45. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Thanks gecko! Up into now I haven't really worked on the herd-predator behaviour, I've focused more on how they behave on their own and more recently trying to get them to move via mecamin, which has taken up a lot of my time. I have had a look at predator prey behaviour however, and while it is straightforward to get it set up, it's tricker to get realistic results when you take into account the prey will be running at speed, and so the predator, e.g. a lion would need to attack at just the correct distance, which requires a little patience and testing to get right. It is the actual attack which is tricky, when they are both close to each other, because you are also reliant on the animations to get the desired effect. Stalking, however is much easier, its very easy to get predators to circle the prey (using the orbit function) and other behaviours which don't involve actual contact between the two. But I'll try to get a video up soon and let you know.

Incidentally, the demos really don't show off the asset, you can get the animals to walk nicely on a slope.

46. gecko

gecko

@jonfinley: Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I am expecting the predator attacks to be pretty hairy (and require additional coding). We're planning to do legacy animations since Mecanim isn't very quadroped-friendly -- are you finding it's worth the extra work? Looking forward to seeing the video!

47. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I think to get the best results Mecanim is best, because you can adjust the speed directly from ICE, additionally, there will be support for built in IK. I think this is important because the speed of the jump in an attack is dependent on the running speed, this I believe is only possible by using mecanim and ICE together, unless of course you use additional coding. Plus most animal models I've bought recently only include mecanim, and 4toon is currently updating all of its models (I have the African Animal Pack 1). But I'm really not an expert on animation, and only just started looking it to. I think it's tough to learn, but I suspect it will yield the best results.

48. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Look at the very last sentence.

Third Person Controller

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/27438

Integrations:
    - A* Pathfinding Project
    - Adventure Creator
    - Apex Path
    - Behavior Designer
    - Cinema Director
    - Control Freak
    - Dialogue System for Unity
    - Final IK
    - Gaia
    - InControl
    - Inventory Pro
    - ORK Framework
    - Playmaker
    - plyGame
    - PuppetMaster
    - Rewired
    - UMA

And now even
    • Gaia
    • InControl
    • (Here now I would love to see ICE)

julianr likes this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Nevermind. lol

50. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Getting back to Teila’s Post which he deleted and replaced with never mind. I thought I would comment anyway

Why do you need Gaia integration for a 3rd person controller? Gaia just makes terrain. You guys are just obsessed with this. LOL

“Integration means you know that then the developer has thought about it and integrated it, so that it works regardless. And if not, you can ask why not?”
    Do you not know that Gaia is just Unity terrain? All you have to do is put your controller on the terrain just like you do anything else. Why ask the developers to add something that is absolutely unnecessary?

“Yes, I do know that Gaia is a Unity Terrain, but I also know, that it is written better and could have some issues with other products. The more you can do with one product that integrates other products that apply, the more you’ll be productive without unnecessary products. This is also not just about Gaia”

It seems like everyone wants a (insert game type...fps, mmo, etc.) button!

“yes please. Welcome to the 21st Century”