Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. GameDon

GameDon

Anyone know how I can set the health max and current values via code?

Cheers in advance.

2. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I have an odd situation.

I'm trying to have my knights just patrol a castle wall.
    I have the home location at the wall, and patrol waypoints set up, but when I hit play the knights appear on the other side of the map and begin walking to the castle. I've tried setting the spawn location down to 0, or 2, and even turned it off with no change.
    ICE seems to want to send everyone to a location far away and have them walk back. I just want them to do a simple patrol mission.

It was working, but now has started doing this. Any ideas on what is happening?

3. nomax5

nomax5

The Unity rating system is very poor, how can compare something as complex as this AI system with like a 3D model of a beach ball?
    If the beach ball got a lot of good reviews early on then it's high in the charts
    The developer probably forgot they put it on the asset store and is wondering where this money comes from.
    and in my experience it's not even been upgraded to PBR yet.
    lol

4. nomax5

nomax5

What would be nice is if Pit released it to open souce and someone took up the baton.

BTW I bought this asset like the day before Pit had his accident...and I will probably never use it..
    ahh never mind

TonanBora and dsilverthorn like this.
  5. magique

magique

What in the world are you talking about? The rating system isn't for comparison purposes. It is simply to rate the specific asset you are evaluating. And 3D Models and AI systems are in different categories so they have charts for those categories separately. Although there is a global sales chart as well. Anyway, you comment makes no sense.

StevenPicard likes this.
  6. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

What are you talking about? If I was looking for an asset to cover my AI needs and it only had 4 stars but that 3d model of the beach ball was 5 stars why wouldn't I go for that beach ball instead? LOL

Just kidding, of course. :D

7. nomax5

nomax5

I understand you are a fan with your 3,000 posts on the forum and I didn’t mean to upset you but I am allowed to have an opinion, and in my opinion the Unity asset store rating system is very poor, even with categories.

Anyone who thinks that the best assets are the ones with most 5 stars are in for a very big dissapointment there are plenty of 5 star assets that have not been updated (I mean actually updated not just resubmitted to update the date stamp) or had a review for 3 years or more.

While I’m on the subject the only good thing about the New Asset Store is the button entitled “Shop On Old Store”
    Which I strongly suspect is still there because it’s the most pressed button.

IMHO The asset store is not good and needs an overhaul by anyone except the current developers.

it’s causing problems now.

Roy

lawsochi and Gregorik like this.
  8. magique

magique

A fan of what? ICE? Not a chance. I own it, but I could never get it to work with all its bugs.

You didn't upset me at all. I just didn't think what you said made any sense.

You are indeed allowed to have an opinion. It was just unclear what your opinion was. Certainly the rating system could use improvement, but I think it works fairly well alongside the review system

True, not all 5 star assets are worthy of that rating. But in general you'll get higher quality and better assest if you go for 5 star assets. Because while not all 5 star assets are worthy of 5 stars, it's rare to find something lower than 5 stars that is worthy of more stars.

Yep. I love that button too. I don't like the new store in the least.

truefx001, lawsochi and StevenPicard like this.
  9. nomax5

nomax5

I wasn’t suggesting that you compare a 3D model with a AI system? you do understand that don’t you?

I was suggesting that developer of complex assets like an AI system can never be rated as high as a simple asset such as a 3D model. Even if the AI developer provides 24 hours support day and night for years someone is not going to understand and give it 1 star brining the average right down with ignorance.

So the unity asset store 5star rating is not a sufficient rating system. and should be replaced with something else that encompasses the support effort required for the asset.

10. magique

magique

Nope, I didn't understand that. The way you wrote your post made it seem exactly that you were comparing the two. I could certainly guess that you did not intend that, but what you wrote was poorly written. No offense.

Correct. And that's where your logic is flawed. A simple 3D model gets a 5 star rating perhaps because it's a really awesome 3D model. Therefore, it is a 5 star 3D model, which has nothing to do with anything else except rating a 3D model for what a 3D model can give you. It's certainly going to be harder to get 5 stars with a complex AI solution. And so getting such a high rating is certainly an achievement and not to be taken lightly. And if it does get 5 stars then one should only compare it to other AI assets to see how it compares.

No, it's not about support effort, but product quality, documentation, continued support, etc.

11. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I get what you are trying to say now but I just couldn't resist responding with a joke.

12. nomax5

nomax5

I sound like a raving lunatic now lol..
    Sorry I went off on one there it’s a bit of a pet subject

5star reviews tend to be an average of all the reviews and because ot the anonymous nature it will always be open to fiddling and abuse especially where money is concerned.

I’ve been developing an algorithm not just for unity but for all 5start reviews Amazon Steam Google Play store etc.

My theory is that Generally people only do reviews for certain reasons:
    Mainly
    The product is very bad and they want to warn others with 1 star
    The product is really good and they want give good advice to others with 5 stars

It is very rare one feels the urge to give 3 star review

The other reason is they’re been rewarded for the review in some way which may be nefarious or not. might just be a blogger review site or someone who is lonely etc.

When you start analysing 5Star reviews you quickly realise how bad it is..

Roy

anyway I’ll shut up now….

I know I'm a grumpy old git ...

13. magique

magique

@nomax5 Now that was well written and coherent. And it made a lot of sense. I think you err on the side of extremism though. I've given reviews for and have seen reviews for things that aren't 5 star. But there is definitely the problem of that vengeance 1 star rating for sure. Good luck on getting your system in place.

14. Gregorik

Gregorik

The review system on this asset store is effing corrupt and rigged, heh. Many are trying to game the system there: asset devs give out vouchers or even cash for 5 star reviews, and reviewers are definitely game for that.

Tethys likes this.
  15. zKici

zKici

LMAO I 2nd this:
    While I’m on the subject the only good thing about the New Asset Store is the button entitled “Shop On Old Store”
    Which I strongly suspect is still there because it’s the most pressed button.

How terrible what they done with the updates... smh

lawsochi likes this.
  16. RendCycle

RendCycle

Maybe by just making it easier to refund things in the Asset Store would suffice if Unity doesn't want to invest on the improvement or find it difficult to improve the online store in relation to customer protection. Just like how Steam/Valve does it now... but they still got fined in a lawsuit for past mistakes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. zKici

zKici

Thats a nice chunk

18. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Is anyone still using ICECC? I'm having issue with AI NavMesh navigating.

19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Still using, don’t know much about the navmesh ai system.
    Since no one has answered, I figured I’d let you that someone heard you. ;)

20. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I never got ICE working.

21. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Thank you!. ICECC is really good I just hate seeing what happened to it. I wish that Pit at least made it open source or something. I have been having issue with the AI moving through doorways with DunGen. But I switched from NavMesh to Rigidbody and it seems to be working.

LostPhilosopher likes this.
  22. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

I'm actually using an older version of Unity so that I can use ICECC. Once I complete my game project I will move forward with a different AI asset. I have been watching Emerald AI. I hoping it makes some great progress.

23. Tethys

Tethys

Were still using it in our live game. We don't use Navmesh though - it is one of the unique features of ICE and our PRIME REASON FOR USING IT - because it's one of the few full featured AI packages that is NOT dependant on the (IMO) weak navmesh system(which is virtually useless for procedurally generated content).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    AndyNeoman likes this.
  24. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I'm using it mixed in with emerald. The more complex AI is made with ICE, where there are more interactions with the player. Basic prey/predators are emerald. So far and finding working better and more efficient than when I had ICE doing everything. I imagine as Emerald keeps improving eventually I will move fully to that.

Tethys likes this.
  25. LostPhilosopher

LostPhilosopher

Is this asset dead? If yes has it gone open source or its just dead period.

26. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

No freebies for you yet.

27. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

It’s dead but not those of us who are still using it. ;)

28. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Has anyone had any issues with the audio using 2018.2? I know we had to change a few lines because of unity api changes but some of my behaviour audio does not seem to working now.

Also calling external scripts as events seem to be off - although I might just be a bit rusty on usage and need to go through the manual again.

29. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I am hoping that Emerald AI takes itself place. The developer is putting a lot of time and energy into it.

30. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Emerald AI is very easy to use, no doubt, but as far as power and flexibility ICE far outshines it. It's very unfortunate that it's been abandoned. Anyways, I'm finally at a point where I'm going to be going through Raptor AI stuff to see how well that works. It's been on hold for a while but I'm excited to finally sink my teeth into. There's another new AI asset that looks interesting called Eliot. I'd be interested in hearing if that is any good (probably too new to get any feedback on it just yet.)

Tethys and dsilverthorn like this.
  31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Pit should sell or open source ICE it is such a shame to see work stop on it. So close to being a game changing asset, once you have the learning curve down. For certain games, procedural or dynamic rule based AI there is nothing to touch it.

Shawn67, Tethys, dsilverthorn and 2 others like this.
  32. zKici

zKici

yeah he should / should have.

33. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

It would be nice if he did sell it and someone else took it over.

34. looki666

looki666

Is ICE AI algorihm StateMachines ? or maybe it is closer to GOAP , UtilityAI ?

35. LostPhilosopher

LostPhilosopher

Yes I love freebies but on top of that ,there is lack of good AI systems that are heavily tested by developers.It would be better if it goes MIT or GPL-2 license as it will be keep on developing in future and even expand.

36. AxelBoltok

AxelBoltok

Sry i just saw your post, just create any script you want and use that code and then add it to the NPC, i made it myself, cheers.

37. Tethys

Tethys

I love ICE, so powerful - I'm just disappointed by the lack of support for the product(not personal support) and that it won't be getting better. Still using it in our live game and in fact have been working on a Halloween update for this week that will have Werewolves and other new monsters, and of course, I have been rigging with ICE. Great product for what is there.

*** We never got the update from Pit that fixed the orientation/roll issues with using modes other than default(biped, quadruped, etc.). It's not in the live version but I remember a while back him sharing it with some folks. Anyone have that updated script(s) with the fix? If I could just get the line or two that needs edited that would be all I need. ***

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    dsilverthorn and Shawn67 like this.
  38. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

I'm currently using ICE with Unity 2017.4.2f2 and haven't had any technical issues with ICE. But I'm going to stop using ICE once I finish my current project. I'm hoping by the time that I finish that Emerald AI had enough time to mature.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  39. Shawn67

Shawn67

Is it just me or are any others getting a little bit of a chuckle when they see comments about Emerald AI having enough time to mature comparing to ICE seeing that Emerald AI came before ICE? Don't get me wrong, my preference was ICE as well. I guess I'm just wondering how long Emerald needs to mature. I fell out of developing my game some time ago so I haven't looked at Emerald in a while. I own both. But was leaning toward ICE had I finished my game.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  40. magique

magique

I definitely laugh. Since ICE never worked for me and I have lots of stuff running Emerald AI.

Shawn67 and dsilverthorn like this.
  41. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

@Shawn67
    Back when I chose ICE over Emerald, it was those types of comments that made me chose ICE. There have always seemed to be that type of “ read between the lines” comments with Emerald in the forums. I still like ICE and still have a long ways to learn all it can do. For me, starting over with another AI just doesn’t make sense. So I use ICE for what it can do, if something bugs out, then I just remove my idea and try another one.

Nothing is perfect, so I try to use what I have and know, to the best I can get out of them.

Shawn67 likes this.
  42. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

@magique
    I understand your point. I just hate having to buy more assets ;) to do the same thing.
    I have too much time invested in assets, like ICE that are no longer supported. It’s a shame, but being small time, I don’t have unlimited funds to replace assets when they drop out. So I use the tool for what it can do.

And wait for a sale:D

jonfinlay and Shawn67 like this.
  43. magique

magique

I totally understand. Sometimes you just have to use what you have and fix the bugs yourself.

dsilverthorn and Shawn67 like this.
  44. Shawn67

Shawn67

Yup.. I agree. Both systems had their merits and shortcomings. Some folks just make it sound like Emerald is a new comer that needs to mature. I've yet to find any asset that does 100% of what I need it to do for that particular functionality. But it is nice to be able to grab them to have a percentage of the heavy lifting done and then we can tweak it to make it fit into our needs. Good to hear Emerald has been working out for you @magique. Like I said, I own both. If I can ever get back to developing a game again, I'll definitely take a look and see what BHS has done with it since I last loaded it. :)

45. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

So far for me Eliot has turned out to be a nice AI asset. Of course, I am in the process of learning but what I see in it so far I really like (and very easy to use, IMO.)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  46. BHS

BHS

I’ve seen Emerald AI mentioned here a few times. Even though ICE has been deprecated, I don’t want to highjack this thread. However, for those who are interested in how Emerald AI is progressing, please see my lastest post of what’s coming with version 2.2 here.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  47. LostPhilosopher

LostPhilosopher

,How is it compare to other AI systems like ICE,Emerald?

48. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I've worked with both ICE and Emerald. ICE is very powerful (though buggy) with a steep learning curve. I had partial success with it and loved its abilities (for example, not requiring a navmesh is still very unique to it and was\is important to me.) Emerald is extremely easy to learn and use. No questions there. However, I would just use it for basic enemies. It really isn't suitable (yet) for anything that has uniqueness or "intelligence" to it. Eliot, on the other hand, has the ease of use of Emerald (with a slightly bigger learning curve but not a complex one) but it seems to have unlimited flexibility. After you go through the well written tutorials you can create AI as quickly as you could with Emerald but with more functionality.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  49. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi guys, just a quick question. Which was the last working version of Unity which supported Ice out of the box? Am I right in thinking it was 2017.4.13? I'm not throwing any more money into the Asset Store after half the assets I've bought have since been deprecated, so will just make do with what I have. Thanks again Pit!

zKici and dsilverthorn like this.
  50. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I agree with you. I’m in the same boat.

I think it is 2017, I am using it with 2017.4.

Maybe someone else can give more specific detail.

jonfinlay likes this.