Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. GhereGames

GhereGames

Thanks. I found the slope limits almost right after I posted the question. Now to just find the proper values. A bug huh. Ok, I'll figure out a workaround.

2. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Will there be any instructions anytime soon on how to set this up for uMMORPG?

Having a fun time setting this up :p Trying to figure out how to activate the network, as well as setup the player/enemy.

3. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

@icetec @TonanBora A little help getting apex Path to work with ICE please?. I added the adapter components, but how to set up to use the Apex scripts? I chose custom pathfinding but no progress ...

4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

since I finished other important things I started, and released my first early acess version I would now like to return to get ICE Creature Control working for my game. My Monsters are way too stupic with my own scripts :)

I have read of some minor Bugs and enhancement on the last pages, is there a later Version than the version from the asset store I can get?

Are there somewhere preset or something like this for hermivores, carnivores, npc, maybe even fish, brids, dragons monsters?

Thanks a lot!

5. danteswap

danteswap

Where Is The Link To your Game

6. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

7. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Any News about the update? I would like to start again from the scratch since I had many Problems with 1.3...
    And can I get some presets please? Animals with hermivores and carnivores, friendly NPC and Monsters with blunt or range weapons, fishes and birds ...

mwituni likes this.
  8. icetec

icetec

Hi, I'm currently working to finish the update and will publish it within the next days. The update will also include more demo scenes and on youtube are already several tutorials available. In addition, I have already set up a wish list on the homepage a few weeks ago, where specific tutorial wishes can be added.

http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/forum-news/?view=forum&id=39

I hope this is helpful for you, but please feel free to contact me whenever you have further questions or if you run into a problem with ICE.

Have a great day!

Pit

9. icetec

icetec

Hi Jacky, I will prepare a video tutorial showing the integration of APEX. I just want to finish the update first - okay?

10. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I added my wish for some presets there, too :)
    Would it be possible to get the update as soon as possible?
    I have lots of free time for the rest of this year. When the updates "hangs" a long time in the store before it gets published it would be nice to get is sooner... if possible.
    Thanks!

11. mwituni

mwituni

Good idea.

I think having some well defined prefabs of common animals that can interact with each other, and other mobs is a great idea and will make the asset more appealing to new customers. These can be modified to suit similar animals etc.

I would suggest they be pretty detailed in features, as users can easily remove some of those features for simpler implementations.

12. julianr

julianr

So far I can confirm 1.4 works on Unity 2017.3 - although there has been changes to 2017.3 with regard to the animator. So be aware :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Firlefanz73 likes this.
  13. Tethys

Tethys

Yay, update incoming! :p ICE is now live in Astral Terra - we pushed it out last week with our Megasplat integration. Eagerly awaiting the update with those bug fixes. :)

14. magique

magique

I decided to give 1.4 a try, but it's obviously broken. In the TutorialAvoidance demo, see that the brown bear is spinning around in circles, while the purple bear is stuck and jittering as it's trying to move forward and the third bear comes running through the scene and right through the wall. A complete fail.

I also looked at the NavMesh tutorial and , aside from the fact that it's a juvenile potty humor demo and completely unprofessional, it doesn't even work either. Giant teddy's all over the place are just stuck and don't navigate anything.

I wonder if you even test your demos before releasing it. How embarrassing.

15. lod3

lod3

What version of Unity are you using? Just made a fresh 2017.2.0f3 project with only ICE, and both scenes worked fine. If I have time later I'll install 2017.3 and try it there as well.

16. magique

magique

Unity 5.6.4p3

17. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

@icetec thanks man, yes finish the update first

18. mattis89

mattis89

Hey! How to make it work with otpc? :)

19. impi2

impi2

There's already integration, check PDF on forum.

So here's my message to creator...

This is an impressive asset, but very intimidating. And that's why I, and I guess many others, have not purchased it. Setting it up looks like a 747 flight deck, with quite a learning curve. There's some good videos by supporters, but it's still intimidating,specially as they know what they are doing.

You could have had my $$$ a year ago, and just been looking at this again now and stopped buying it again (and now looking at your competition which I might go for unless something magically changes here in next few days)

There's probably good reasons for all that... heavy ui. But I think a lot of this could be avoided and new customers helped. Here's how...

Simply do what has been asked many times in your website forum, and this one...

CREATE DECENT AND USEABLE EXAMPLES

For example, proper configured settings for typical animals / monsters ... sheep, wolves, deer, lions, cows, chickens, birds.

Not half-way configured examples showing this or that. Config that will have proper behaving animals wandering around and attacking or avoiding others etc, right away, showing most options.

That's a solid fast start, and some can use the heavy UI to make more changes and tweak behaviors.

Why expect your new users to all battle through it. Not everyone needs do be a UI expert... that's why assets are there. Users have games to make. Give them a decent start ...people want assets that get them up and running immediately, not days to figure out to get some basic system going.

It's been spoken about many times, and you said in October you would do some, and there's some examples been put up at your website forum, but those are too basic.

Please take this seriously, and spend some time on it (you probably have well setup examples used in testing you can export right away!). Don't drag it out over months/years. Increase the value and sale-ability of your asset substantially with very little effort.

Bring this asset to more basic users, and those wanting a quick solution.

EDIT: Apologies for my rant ... probably too much festive juice! ... was visiting my mate and discussing assets. Although I stand by the idea, just used too many words!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    kuru61, Basbo, TonanBora and 4 others like this.
  20. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,

In the v1.4.1 release, there's a UI bug when trying to add parameters on Behaviors. It seems to be related to change in UI re addition of 'Interface'. Choosing MECANIM and ADVANCED doesn't display option to Add Parameter(s). If one messes around with the 'Interface' option, the 'Add Parameter option appears, and you can add parameters. But they seem to disappear into never-land when you save, and then no amount of clicking the 'Add' (parameter) button will add any.

Hope its not a new feature! ...
    "Dear customers,
    ICECreatureControl v1.4.1 comes with dozens of improved and new features and also with some structural changes,.."

mattis89 likes this.
  21. lod3

lod3

Where do you see a 1.4.1 release? Current version is still 1.4 on the store, and there's no mention of a 1.4.1 release @ www.icecreaturecontrol.com/, nor in this forum prior to your post.

22. mwituni

mwituni

Well, then there's another bug...
    I copied it from the text file in the ICE installed folder - thats normally how I check versions of installed assets.
    Check your text file ... you may have 1.4.1 without knowing it too!

But I guess it's 1.4 then - as I'd have pulled it through AssetStore.

Can you add Parameters to Mechanim behaviors? If so, we might have different versions!

23. Enoch

Enoch

I don't know if this will fix your issue, but I have run into this issue before (or something similar). In my case I was trying to add parameters to an ICE behavior animation on a GameObject prefab (in the project folder). This wouldn't work. You actually have to instantiate the GameObject fully in the scene Hierarchy, make the change and save the prefab.

Note for me that the Interaction tab also would not show at all until an ICE Create Register is active in the scene. Note also that I am using 1.3.6 so you may have found a new completely different bug in the new version.

24. lawsochi

lawsochi

I'll say right away, I'm not accusing anyone of anything and do not demand anything ... I'll just tell why I have not yet bought Ice.
    I'm not a professional in code. and I have no experience developing games for many years. I am an amateur, like the very overwhelming majority of Unity users. For me, buying an asset is not an investment, but a gratitude to the author for helping me to do complicated things simply.
    so, ICECreatureControl can do a lot, but can not help me just make a wolf and a deer easy. I have to bypass 1000 if, and take into account many "buts", while understanding how and why it works or does not work. I really want to understand all this, and not because it's work, but because I really like it. but the absence of comprehensible ones, from simple to difficult lessons, and the presence of mistakes and (or) features that can only be bypassed by a professional, and most importantly, the author's position (I do not blame him, I understand him very well, but that does not help me) , makes for me the purchase of this asset is useless.
    I will probably have to use other systems that have less capabilities, but which I can quickly learn and get many examples for studying. it's a pity.

PS. I really want to be understood correctly. give an example. I can compare ICECreatureControl with a spaceship. very good ship. this ship can fly into space. it is very complex and allows a lot. but. only the ship is sold. without instructions. without a crew. without anything.
    there is a free airport (Unity). and this ship can fly from it. In the event of a breakdown, you must do the flight trajectory, maintenance and repair yourself.
    but there is another way, when they sell not just a ship, but a service, on a flight into space. all technical issues are decided by the seller, you pay money and fly. you have a simple and understandable inscription, like what you do, and all the docking with the space stations necessary in flight (other assets) have already been resolved. you get a ready solution to your problem - flying into space, and returning to earth, and not just a ship for this, though very good ....

now it's like this: user icecreaturecontrol as mars1, developer as Houston, community as amateur radio operator (not be offended, I bad spoken English, don't want anyone to offend).
    Mars 1: Hi Houston in on a small problem with oxygen. what tips ?;
    Houston: .... .. silence .... ...;
    mars1: Hey, Houston, we ends oxygen. help !;
    Houston: Hello. your call is very important for us. we now occupied by the development of new version of Mars 2 who have no problems with oxygen, so we will not respond to your request for some time. thank you that you with us;
    mars1: mayday, mayday, we ends oxygen ... ..;
    amateur radio operator1: open window ...;
    amateur radio operator2: close the window ...;
    mars1: what ... .. window ...... censorship .................... ..
    end ......
    ))))

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Winddev and C_p_H like this.
  25. khaven

khaven

Hi,
    I'm new to ICE. I've activated POOL and RECYCLE on my 'Girl001' creature. When the creature dies, ICE clone a new creature and deactivates the old one. isn't it suppose to reuse the old one ? I might be doing something wrong.

Help appreciated. Thanks!

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

26. GhereGames

GhereGames

Is there a way to control whether an object is pooled or not via Script? I'm wanting to only have creatures pool and therefore spawn when a certain game condition exists. Thank you.

27. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello icetec,

winter holidays are nearly gone, any Chance for the update within this year still?
    Any Information on what you are working or what is in the update? Will the update work with Unity 2017.3.0?

28. Teila

Teila

Not yet. New Years day is on Monday. Give it a week or so and see what happens. :)

29. danteswap

danteswap

Hello Guys All Work Almost Done On Game Now Time To Setup The Creatures , So My Terrain is 2kmx2km And i Got Few Islands On them So Like that I Got 6 different areas on Terrain , Now I Want Specific Creatures To Spawn On Their Specific area And only When The player Is Near To Their Area , Like 2 type of creatures will only spawn on area A and only Spawn When the Player Is in Specific Range of That Areas Centre . So How To AQchieve That , Currently I Have Set Up Multiple Spawn locations For Each Creatures in All Respective Area But The Problem Is That i f i have like 7 Location in different Areas And have set Max Creature to 10 then the Spawner Choose Spawn Locations From All Those Locations But Not Only From The Nearest Locations So How To Set That Up.

30. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

It doesn't integrate with invector at all I use the invector third person shooter template.

31. Gregorik

Gregorik

Weirdest effing comment I've seen in a while.

Teila likes this.
  32. Tethys

Tethys

You cannot spawn in a specific location, its one of the things that still broke with ICE. If the spawn area is active, and within range, then yes, it spawns on the specified area. Where it is broke is if the entity spawn conditions are not met (lets say the spawn point isnt in range) ICE then just spawns the creature randomly on the ground in the wrong area. @icetec said they would fix that more than 2 months ago, along with the pooling, but we still haven't gotten the fix. This product, ICE, is live on our Steam game right now too lol. Whatever - support here is meh. Every update seems to take over a year to push out, for stuff that is broken and live in his product. Shame.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  33. Gregorik

Gregorik

Same with Emerald AI: passive AI types seem to be broken in the newest updates. That's what you sign up for in the Unity asset store I guess: these authors are not professional coders, they're more like ourselves. Dreamers who are seldom doing this full time.

Tethys likes this.
  34. C_p_H

C_p_H

Tips: "The Selection Range defines the maximum distance in which the creature could detect the target. If the Selection Range is adjusted to zero, the Selection Range will be ignored and the condition will be always true (eg. All locations will spawn if a SR is not set).

By using the Hierarchy Management the ICECreatureRegister makes sure that your scene stay clean and tidy during the runtime. If UseHierarchyManagement is flagged all spawned Objects will be sorted according to the given structure. You are free to modify the given structure as desired to adapt it to your project.

By using the Pool Management the Register can handle the population of your creatures and all your other related objects such as locations, waypoints and items etc. as well. While UsePoolManagement is flagged you can activate the POOL functions for each reference object to define the desired spawn and respawn settings. The Pool Management is an optional feature, you are free to handle it also by your own scripts or third party products.

If INITIAL is flagged you can adjust the ‘Spawn Priority’ to specify in which order the given reference groups should spawn their clones. This could be important to make sure that locations and waypoints are already exists before spawning your creatures.

Adapt the ‘Spawn Interval’ values to define the minimum and maximum range in seconds in which the objects should be spawn."

As Tethys stated you'll hit some bugs during your setup & testing, so including myself we all need to spam @icetec exclusive Solutions Bug Tracker at every convenience so that he'll prioritize his workload for future version updates. It's the best way we can help him keep track of bugs IMHO.;)

Tethys likes this.
  35. psych77

psych77

Anyone have any idea how i can use my ragdoll without initiate a corpse prefab? Since my zombies have bodyparts that can be dismembered, using a corpse prefab is out of the question. My ragdoll setup works perfectly on a zombie with no ice creature control on. I shoot off its head and it falls(using a script that controls zombie hitpoints on body parts and detaches them).

So here is the thing:
    When using it with ICE creature control , its working IF i put ragdoll script + setup on the zombie first, then ice creature Control manager. On runtime the zombie walks and if i shoot it, it falls like it should. But after a while it stops doing it. Ive tried so many different things. No clue why this is happening, and its frustrating :(

Also as a backup solution i tried doing death animation instead, but that does not work at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is the pack i use of dismembering:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/dismembering-90674

36. C_p_H

C_p_H

Sounds like you need an ICE Integration Adapter for Dismembering: Check out pages 86 - 92 in the ICECC_Manual_1_4..:)

37. Gregorik

Gregorik

I came back to ICE after 1.4 was released, using Emerald AI and some obscure things (like Population Engine and NPC Populator) in the meantime. With 1.4, I can now vouch for ICE -- including the fact that you can wrap your head around its complete workflow over a single weekend.
    Emerald AI is probably the next best thing, and you can learn it in a single day. But it will always feel like ICE Lite, and some of it is broken in the new version in ways that ICE is not broken. Just my $0.2.

Shawn67 and Tethys like this.
  38. psych77

psych77

hmm having a little hard time understanding the manual tbh. Is this something i need to modify and create myself converting values from dismemberment damage script + the ragdoll stuff?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  39. Tethys

Tethys

No doubt man. I would like to add, one super unique thing about ICE which IMO makes it more powerful than some other solutions mentioned is that it doesn't require NavMesh or pathfinding integration, making it really nice, right out of the box for procedural environments.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  40. Gregorik

Gregorik

Actually that's not unique, more rudimentary AI assets like iTS and Population Engine don't require NavMesh either. ICE is unique because of everything else. ;)

Tethys likes this.
  41. Tethys

Tethys

Actually It is though if you compare it against the lead competitor for more complex AI, which is Emerald. This is exactly the unique feature we use this AI asset for that some others just don't have and makes it better/unique. It a super important feature for folks with procedural environments (ICE has thought of everything else that goes along with it, like the distance culling, distance from camera spawning, etc. so as the environment changes as the player moves through it mobs are removed and added back in range) that works very well out of the box. ;) Some of those basic AI packages that dont require navmesh also work like crap (the navigation) - ICE doesn't. ;) HerdSim and a few others we tried over the last 2 years were very meh.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Gregorik likes this.
  42. psych77

psych77

In case anyone wondered, i found out why ragdoll did not activate properly when killing an NPC with ice script on.

Not sure why specifically, but Final IK`s, full body biped IK script must be disabled upon death of the npc.

C_p_H likes this.
  43. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Has anyone got Invector working with Ice yet? Or isn't it going to work with it at all?

44. TonanBora

TonanBora

Because Final IK attempts to control the characters limbs. ;)

mattis89 and Tethys like this.
  45. mattis89

mattis89

I feel quite the same way.. I had ICE in a project when it was 1.36 or something and it was buggy... then I saw emerald but waited for the update but I havent bought it because I tried ICE 1.4 and it worked quote good except some intergrations but didnt put much time on it.. like I couldnt enable line of sight thing and such?..
    But why do you think ICE is better?

46. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! Is there any chance someone could make a tutorial for setting up ICE with UFPS and using animation event damage to the player? Then I will be happy to use this.. no mather what I do I cant get it to work.. I have had this asset a year one......

47. Gregorik

Gregorik

For one thing, you can't really make an organic-feeling NPC in Emerald, only in ICE. Emerald only allows 3 idle anims, 3 attack anims and so forth. These quickly get old for the player. ICE allows any number of anims/behaviors with smooth transitions, so every AI feels more alive.
    For instance, I'm doing a cat right now, and she has like 8 idle anims: 5 of these would go out the window with Emerald.

Also, the options you have under the Essentials, Status, Environment and Interaction tab are unique to ICE.

TonanBora and Tethys like this.
  48. mattis89

mattis89

Okay. Maybe Im gonna stick to ICE.. I just have so problem understanding it all, so much.. wanna screenshot your behaviors and interactions so I can see how to set up many different? :)

mwituni likes this.
  49. Gregorik

Gregorik

I'm trying to do that as we speak, will give you the steps when I'm done. In Emerald 2.0, UFPS integration is a breeze as we know, but then we're left with the boring 3 anim limit and other heavy limitations and bugs. In ICE 1.4 it seems to be harder to fully integrate but it's worth it.

TonanBora likes this.
  50. mattis89

mattis89

Yes, I think ICE is the AI to use! The coolest is the no need for navagent and pooling & spawning..

Awesome that would be really helpful :) in the earlier verisions of ice I managed but it dosent work now.. and deal damage with bodyparts is not so good.. anim events rules!