Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. icetec

icetec

I'll fixed it asap and will provide you an seperate update of the ICEIntegration package.

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  2. icetec

icetec

Hi Firlefanz73,
    your settings seems to be fine, but please remove the WalkableSurface layer from the Obstacle layer list and ensure that the WalkableSurface layer is assigned to your terrain and to all other walkable surfaces (e.g. rocks, floors etc.), otherwise the raycast beam can't hit the surface and your creature can't detect the ground.

Tip: press UPDATE (Reference Objects) in the CreatureRegister to list all your available ICE entities.

Have a great day!

Pit

Firlefanz73 and Ryuichi173 like this.
  3. icetec

icetec

Yeap, the plane and terrain features of the wizard are optional and only included to quickly create simple demo environments to test the creature settings.

4. icetec

icetec

Yeap, just open the interaction settings, add all desired target creatures as interactor and define the desired selection criteria, movements and behaviors. Now, just repeat that for all desired opponents.

5. DivineMercy

DivineMercy

Pit, I added you on Skype, there are several issues I would like to have some help with (Overlap prevention being a big one). I'm assuming your profile picture is the guy with the scuba gear, that's who I added. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxu9uuAwtNIjdnhaMTV5LWR1Z0U - here is an issue I need help with. I can explain it in further detail over Skype. Another issue I have is in this video at 1:40-2:00 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69BNQmlGC8rcVZvT1BuamZ2Tmc/view

I appreciate the assistance!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hey Pit,

got my Test-Cow now visible and Standing on the ground.But it does not starting Walking or running somewhere (though I have beahviors for These with movement and Animation).

I guess it is why I do not have a home and a target?

In Chapter 3.3.3 the PDF says
    "Scroll up to the ‘Home Location’ settings and define the home target for your creature. Press AUTO to create a new Target Object."

There is no auto button. There is a large red disabled button which says "Show (0)".

Since I have a random procedural land, I would like to have the spawn position as the home Position always for every creature! How do I do that or is this always done by Default?

And for Prey animals I do not Need a target, later some herd behaviour will be possible I hope.
    But for monsters and predators the Player should be the target (later near Prey animals too).
    The Player is in the Scene already as a gameobject.

How do I do I add the target and set the Player?
    How can I just let Prey wander around their spawning Point?

Thanks a lot! Is there a Video for procedural / random Levels also?

Thank you :)

7. HellPatrol

HellPatrol

Quick question: i have some enemies which are not ice creatures.
    Can I add them to the creature register like normal ice creatures for spawning?

8. icetec

icetec

Hi HellPatrol, just add the ICECreatureItem script to such creatures. Of course, they are not items, but the item script contains all the basic mechanism (e.g. registration, damage handling etc.) your non-ice-creatures need, to be handled and spawned by the CreatureRegister. I will provide an additional script for such cases, but by then the ICECreatureItem script should fix this problem.

HellPatrol and Ryuichi173 like this.
  9. icetec

icetec

Hello Firlefanz73, it seems that your mentioned creature is a prefab, in such case you have to know, that the target options of a selected creature-prefab are always disabled, to avoid problems when using it in several scenes, so just select the associated scene object of your creature-prefab or drag the creature-prefab into your scene and try it again.

I hope this will be helpful so far, but please feel free to contact me whenever you have a question or if you run into a problem with ICE and in urgent cases you can contact me also via skype.

Have a great day!

Pit

10. icetec

icetec

Hello DivineMercy, I have accepted all contact requests, so please write me. I'll be online tomorrow the whole day, so I think we can fix it quickly.

11. BryanO

BryanO

Pit

Please - a couple of quick questions about the ICE CREATURE PLAYER script as Im making a third person controller using it.

1. How do we get ragdolls to spawn - I put a registered ragdoll in the slot and get no corpse on death.
    2. How do we set a respawn time? players seem to instantly respawn in the default script
    3. How do pickups work? - I cant seem to get the player to pickup the first aid kits?

Any help appreciated - Ive rooted around in your scripts but they are overwhelming and massive

12. icetec

icetec

Hi Bryan, I'm sorry but there is a small mistake in the ICECreaturePlayer script which is already fixed in the update but you can also fix it quickly by yourself. For this just open the ICECreaturePlayer script, go to LateUpdate() and replace CreatureRegister.Remove( gameObject ) with Status.Remove().

Here the changed code ...

Code (CSharp):
    2.         public override void LateUpdate()
    3.         {
    4.             base.LateUpdate();
    6.             if( Status.DurabilityInPercent <= 0 )
    7.                 Status.Remove();
    8.         }
    If you want you can also directly adapt the Suicide() method ...
    Code (CSharp):
    2.          public void Suicide()
    3.         {
    4.             Status.SetDurability( 0 );
    5.         }
    The respawn time can be adapted in the CreatureRegister. Just activate the internal pool management for your player and adapt the desired Spawn Interval.

To pick up items, just add a new event for your ICECreaturePlayer, define the desired input axis or key and select PickupItem as method. But please note that the functionality of the ICECreaturePlayer is limited, because the focus of the package is on the creatures rather than on the player, and the ICECreaturePlayer script is mainly designed to simplify the interaction between the creature and the player and is not intended to fully control the player character.

I hope this will be helpful to you so far, but please feel free to contact me whenever you have further questions or if you run into a problem with ICE and in urgent cases you can contact me also via skype.

Have a great day!

Pit

13. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks-
    Code enables ragdolls on player death! I have been using the new method functionality and its great.

The respawn time can be adapted in the CreatureRegister. Just activate the internal pool management for your player and adapt the desired Spawn Interval.

No matter what I set these to respawn after the player dies is instant.

To pick up items, just add a new event for your ICECreaturePlayer, define the desired input axis or key and select PickupItem as method.

Yes I have set these and the "press this key for pickup" text appears when near a pickup but nothing is picked up when the key is pressed.

14. mattis89

mattis89

Hello again! how to make it work with ufps ?

15. mattis89

mattis89

Hello!

When it comes to the part when I have to set up the parameters from mecanim... there´s no "Add parameter" field.. it´s gone... why?

16. Teila

Teila

That is great! We really need uNet integration before Unite since we would love to have a trailer to show off the great AI. Ice has been a huge part of our game. So glad you are thinking of uMMORPG integration since they use uNet. :)

Hate to ask, but when do you think the next update might be? Weeks or Months? If needed we can always use something else for a while but that would be sad. Would be nice to show off ICE.

icetec and TonanBora like this.
  17. GermKraze

GermKraze

HI
    I'm using UFPS with ICE and i cant figure out how to have my ai do damage at a specific time in a animation. I cant add the Damage event to animation but i can add target event to interactor attack but it is inconsistent with the attack animation. I want it to do damage at exactly .26 secs of attack animation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any tutorial on how to integrate this with UFPS that is up to date? I mean i go to ice menu ICE integration and adapter and i don't see UFPS.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  18. Alverik

Alverik

Hi! I'm thinking of getting ICE Creature control. So, I was wondering... Is there any tutorial I can see that teaches how to make non violent NPCs? (most AI systems just seem to focus on combat...) Specifically, city dwellers, or any other humans living in a settlement/city/town going around their daily lives (maybe going to work, sometimes talking with each other, sometimes interacting with objects they come across, like sitting in a bench).

If there aren't any tutorials, does anyone have any idea how I'd achieve something like that using ICE creature control?

Anyway, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

19. mattis89

mattis89

GermKraze; There should be a script to add to the creature that handles damage and to the player too.. but I cant seem to find it neither... btw are you using mechanim for animation? becuase when I import ICE to my project "Add Parameter is gone":/ and I have my creature on a mountain and he just dont have contact with surface at first he have but then just floats?

20. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi Alverik,

AIs creating by ICE is harmless in the default. Because they have no ability to attack someone nor have interact something. The long and short of it, you should teach your AIs what they have to do.

Thanks to Tonan Bora who is a fan of this asset, we are ICE user can understand first step of ICE by tutorial video.

It is depend on what you want to create. It is easy to make NPC's looks like they going around their daily lives, but it is difficult to make advanced human AI like "Sims". They cannot share their rumor to their community by the default nor they have concept of "community". They don't have motivation of love...because we cannot use user variables without programing codes for now.

21. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi Pit,

It was come to mind that how it is going integration with GIL's ORK system.

Ah, I don't want hurry you about that!:)
    It was just come to mind when thinking about AI for human NPCs.

regards,

Ryuichi

22. mattis89

mattis89

I love your asset but you should fix this bug ;

You have a project you been working on... you buy ICE, you import it .. You set it up and begin to add your enemy... Using mechanim because it rules.. you have your animations and then you come to the behaviours part and realize theres no "Add Parameter".. so you get pissed and worried... then you save... and restart Unity.. and POP theres the "Add Parameter" function now... annoying.. please fix.. because you have to restart Unity EVERY time.. =)

Sorry for being rude if you took me that way.. this is anyway THE best AI asset ever! =)

Cheers!

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  23. mattis89

mattis89

I have a good question... I just saw that there is a day cycle and what time creature do what and so on...... is there possibly to use another system like Tenkoky Dynamic Sky that I have right now ? cause it would be awesome to spawn monsters at night and so on... you know ..

=)

24. redmotion_games

redmotion_games

There is an asset on the store called Love Hate for this sort of thing.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33063

So, I'm also interested in purchasing ICE. Is there an API that can make it easier to interrupt the ICE control system. For example, if the player wanted to speak to someone walking along the road? "Interrupted" could be a boolean switched on when the dialogue system takes over, leaving the ICE character in an idle or "talked to" state, then switched back to ICE control when the interrupted flag is switched off again.

TonanBora and Teila like this.
  25. TonanBora

TonanBora

Hey Sorrowthief,
    Sorry about not getting the video done, I have been busy with school, work, and a few side projects.
    However, as this is my last week of college before summer, I will have more time to be able to put a proper video/live stream together tackling ICE projectiles, and other fun things. :)
    I plan to do one this weekend, which I will do on setting up ranged attacks for ICE creatures.
    Just hang tight, I am still alive and have been listening.

26. TonanBora

TonanBora

You could simply enable/disable the ICE Creature Control Component.

27. TonanBora

TonanBora

Yes it is!
    But it will require some scripting to set the values of the ICE Environment to those of the substitute Day/Night cycle.
    I have successfully done this with two different day/night systems, including Tenkoku's.

28. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

sorry for asking again, but although I read the documentation this time, I have heavy problems to get it starting...
    After I got my creates visible and also moving, I now have the problem the animations are not working, or at least I think they are working one time then freeze.

My cow is using the old animations (called legacy?), my ghoul is using an animation controller.

Since I did not get it working in my procedural Environment with the prefabs, like the manual suggested I started from the scratch. I created a new scene and used the ICE Wizard to create a plane on it with a player on it (just added a first person controller) and added two creatures with idle running and walking.

Again I had the same problem in the new generated Scene! I do not see an animation, or at least it seems to run one single time then freezed. The creatures still move on the plane but without animation.

Both have the same problem. Now they are moving, how do I get them to play animations (and more than one time)?

Thanks a lot!

29. unicat

unicat

You should set the wrapmode from default to loop on your walk animation.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  30. Alverik

Alverik

No, no, I just want them to look alive and breath life to the world, I don't want them to actually have relationships or "feelings" for each other. I just mean like in some games where you see a character follow a daily routine. Like in Radiata Stories(PS2) or Harvest Moon series for example, where everyone in town has a schedule and you can see them moving between places when the time comes, or can see them working or acting as if they are chatting with each other, etc.

Then, when I say interact with other objects I mean like in Bioshock Infinite where NPCs sometimes stop to "interact" with objects or other NPCs and basically start playing some animation or sequence. Then after a bit, they just go on with what they were doing before.

That's the kind of stuff I'm interested in, which is mostly animation/sequences, not real simulation like in the sims.

31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Pit,

is the integration with Unistorm working in the latest version?

Also if there are any tutorials with birds that would be great. Im stuggling to get my eagle to land convinvingly and transition between flying and landing.

Also any tutorials on a crocodile type creature than can go on land and water would be really useful. These specific use situations seem to be really tricky for me.

Great product btw, I am building a natural environment with lots of animals and it is fantastic to use.

TonanBora likes this.
  32. TonanBora

TonanBora

Click on the prefab's model in the project window, the one with the import settings, then go to the animations tab.
    Find the animations that you want looping, and make sure their wrap modes are set to loop.

Then, just to be on the safe side, set the wrap mode for them in the creature's behaviors to loop as well.

33. TonanBora

TonanBora

Don't worry, these are also tricky issues for me as well!
    There is no easy solution to creating Bird AI that has both land movement, and flight movement.
    I have tinkered with it a little, and have gotten some minor results, but nothing that I would call "game ready".

Pit has told me that he does plan on implementing some default behaviors to handle ground movement, flight movement, and transitions between the two, but until then it will mostly be trial and error and a lot of Interactors.

34. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

The cow is working now it seems. Thanks for the hint!

And the birds which can fly and also walk on the ground will be a future Problem for me too.

Still cannot get my ghoul with Animation Controller working with Animation...

And if I had a wish I would like to have some Default target for my prefabs. My animals shall only wander around their spawn Point, they do no Need a target.

PS: My ghoul had his original Animation Controller with transition triggers. After deleting These he now at least walks and Plays his Walking Animation (looped). Now it is time to read some documentation again and continue, thanks!

35. BryanO

BryanO

Bump

Thanks-
    Code enables ragdolls on player death!

The respawn time can be adapted in the CreatureRegister.

No matter what I set these to respawn after the player dies is instant.

To pick up items, just add a new event for your ICECreaturePlayer, define the desired input axis or key and select PickupItem as method.

Yes I have set these and the "press this key for pickup" text appears when near a pickup but nothing is picked up when the key is pressed.

36. mattis89

mattis89

Watch online tutorials and click those little question marks.. helps alot.. not easy... Can´t find the UFPS adapter tough.

37. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. When the error with UFPS MP is solved. ???? It's been a few months now !!! I'm talking about spawning mobs.

38. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi mattis,

Did you checked online manuals integration section?
    Ah...wait... perhaps you read old pdf which attached in store pages documentation that for ICE version 1.1, don't you?
    Yes that is too outdated.o_O

Hey Pit, you are forgetting to update link for manual in store page! :eek:

True manual is here. Be careful! ICE have been completely changed from previous versions!

Hi Alverik

First of all, making it interact to something is easy. ICE is suit for such purpose.
    It is much easier than making predator using ICE.
    You may be not needed to write any line of codes, I think.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Alverik likes this.
  39. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you that interact is easy, but "using" something is little tricky.

Most important limitation is that "Ride-able" object is not supported yet.
    It is quite difficult, of course even if you try with another solution like node based.

Second limitation is that it is difficult to control animation based actions like "sit on chair" "sleep on the bed".
    I think may be it force you write a few line of codes, and you need root motion for each actions, too.

Anyway, I saw that TonanBora who is developer at WatreGames created City cloud using ICE.
    It might be help for you.

Alverik likes this.
  40. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I cannot find any presets or templates for my creatures. Are there any?

If so, where do I find them? Or is anybody willing to send some (Basic hermivore, carnivor, monster and stay-near-his-place-npc).

If there are no presets included (I have read half of the Manual until now), please understand this as a constructive Suggestion and idea for making life of ICE users much easier:

Since the most important Basic types are hermivores, carnivores and monsters in most cases and their defaults can be saved as a "cc_preset" why do I not find some useful presets?

So I have bought an animal pack. I guess most or at least many devlopers who bought ICE have something similar.

There is a cow, a goat a sheep and so on. Why not have a useful cc_preset for these hermivores?
    They wander around and run away if Player or a carnivore is too near or attacks.
    So if we had a preset, every user only has to setup his ground detection and the animations for his cow... and is done?
    I guess 2-10 hours of effort saved for every single user which uses hermivores? Or even more...

Next there is a Lion, a wolf and so on. Why not have a useful cc_preset for these carnivores?
    These also wander around but attack a hermivore or the maybe even the Player if they see it?
    I guess another 2-10 hours of effort saved for every single user which uses these?

Maybe last there is monsters, which are extremly aggressive and partrol randomly or between waypoints and hunt the Player. Like carnivores but more aggressive and intelligent.
    And again 2-10 hours of effort saved for every single user, maybe more...

Great would be something similar for NPC, which you can tell to work (stay at their place) or patrol or both, maybe sleep.

I guess with these 3-5 presets at least I could save very very much work and for this asset I thought something like this would exist. Or at least a sample where you can take it from.

Every developer who needs more and special stuff can then choose from the many options that ICE has to offer already.

At least for me this would really save lots and lots of hours!

I am still trying to get my cow not only wander around, but also do some idle and eat grass stuff and so on, then the same for the sheep, the goat and so on, I hope it will work if I save my preset after the cow is done, and load it to the others.

Then I will do the same again for the Lion and Takeover for the wolf, then for create another one for a monster and so on.

Thanks a lot! :)

TonanBora likes this.
  41. TonanBora

TonanBora

If @icetec allows me too, I would be more than willing to share the behavior/interactor/mission presets that I show in my tutorials.
    But I don't want to share them without his permission since they are generated by ICE.

However, this is a fantastic idea, and I too think that ICE could use some presets to get ICE users started.

Alverik and Firlefanz73 like this.
  42. hoodoo

hoodoo

I purchased ICE during the sale this week, and wanted to check in on the forum. It looks very active which is great! I have watched a couple of the videos from the asset page, but wanted to ask everyone here if you have links to other useful tutorials or general information pages? Thanks!

43. DivineMercy

DivineMercy

Is there a way to have ice creatures respawn in the Home location set after they die? Is there a way to prevent respawning? For some reason my creatures respawn at the origin.

44. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

That would be so great! :)
    It is by nature only useful for People who bought ICE...

Alverik likes this.
  45. Carmexx

Carmexx

Hi,

How do I stop a creature from moving instantly. I have tried disabling the control using:

ICECreatureControl _control = GetComponent<ICECreatureControl>();
    _control.enabled = false;

Which disables the ice creature control script; it stops animations, but continues to the next waypoint target before stopping completely.

I've also tried disabling waypoints, missions, behaviors, resetting everything I can, but the creature persists in always moving to its next target waypoint before stopping. I want to disable animations, movement, everything instantly.

Kind Regards

Carme

46. icetec

icetec

Hi TonanBora, that's in fact a brilliant idea and absolutely okay for me!

Firlefanz73 and Alverik like this.
  47. icetec

icetec

Hello mattis89, the UFPS adapter is part of the ICEIntegration package, so just ...

1. Open your Player Settings and add ICE_UFPS to the Scripting Define Symbols.
    2. Add the ICEWorldDamageAdapter to your creatures.

Now the integration is done and you can start to prepare your creature as desired e.g. add ICECreatureBopyPart to the relevant body parts of your creature and adapt the impact settings or equip it with a ICECreatureRangedWeapon or ICECreatureMeleeWeapon or use the UFPS weapons and enjoy the fight ...

Here you can find further information about the integration ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEIntegration.pdf
    ... and here about the damage handling ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEDamageHandling.pdf

This should fix your issue but please feel free to contact me whenever you have further questions or if you run into a problem with ICE.

Have a great day!

Pit

48. icetec

icetec

Hi Carme, you do not need to handle this with custom code ... basically, your creatures will always travel to its active target and run there the associated rendezvous behavior. If a creature is to be hold a certain rendezvous behaviour, you can activate the favoured option of the behaviour, so your creature will keep this behaviour and ignore other targets and behaviour as long as the given conditions are true.

49. icetec

icetec

Hi DivineMercy, just deactivate the pool option of the CreatureRegister to stop the spawning process or adapt the max amount of spawn cycles. To ensure that a creature will be spawned within a certain area, you need to add and adjust a suitable spawnpoint.

50. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi,

Is this a bug about animation list not displaying available animations ?
    (I am using Unity 5.6.0f3)