Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Teila

Teila

I cut it out because I realized that "Gaia Integration" is already built in. Plus it is not kind to take over someone else's thread and move it off topic so I decided it was stupid of me to post that...so I deleted it. Sorry that you could not respect my decision. ;)

And no, it would work even without integration. lol Just as well, although it would force you to actually slide your hand from the project folder to the terrain. :p It actually is not "integrated" it is just made to appear when you push the button. Sorry, but this is very funny.

Gaia does not at all change the basic terrain. All it does is deform and landscape what is there. Adam has said this over and over and over again. It is a brilliant asset, and one I was proud to test from day 1. However, it does not replace Unity terrain. It has no issues with any product other than ones that do the same thing, which is to landscape the terrain.

So..the 21st century means everyone else has to do for you what you can easily do for yourself? Hmmm...

Anyway, please can we get back to the topic on hand?

PS. However..I am very happy that this will help Pit get more sales because this is an amazing asset. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    icetec, Tethys and montyfi like this.
  2. julianr

julianr

The more integrations with each other the better! Just makes the asset developers stronger in supporting the other developers as well as their products. As long as they can maintain the updates to the integrations when big changes happen, then I'm all for exposing some of the functionality or a communications bridge between the two packages. For example, with ICE you could have a creature or animal eat some vegetation, once its gone it needs to grow again, so you'd use Gaia's spawners to plant some more :)

AdamGoodrich and icetec like this.
  3. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

[/QUOTE] from Teila
    Anyway, please can we get back to the topic on hand? [/QUOTE]

Yes, but please. This is not just about Gaia as you always bring up as the main reason. Look at the TPC list and still growing.

Subject ended. Now back to the ICE discussion.

4. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

"Ditto"

5. Teila

Teila

Ha, used the wrong name for the developer! lol

I don't think that is the kind of integration that was done. All this did was allow for spawns to be put in the middle of the terrain by pushing a button. :)

But that would be cool, although at this time would require code from you.

Edit: Silly me. For some reason I keep thinking I am in a different thread. Too much time staring at the computer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    icetec and julianr like this.
  6. arnesso

arnesso

Hello guys,

I am trying to figure out how to solve headshot with UFPS. ( in ICECreatureUFPSAdapter.cs)
    I created a new gameobject with sphere collider, tagged as HEAD and added to the NPC gameobject.
    My idea I would affect the NPC Health directly, when damage_type( e.g IMPACT by UFPS player) is detected on HEAD that would be a huge DAMAGE amount.
    I do not know how did you solve the UFPS player can hurt NPC, but this HEAD will be the same way, just DAMAGE (e.g: 1000) ->instant death
    I tried this in UFPS adapter: but it did NOT work ( Maybe you can solve much faster, if you would like to create HEADSHOT function, too :) )

I hope someone who can see through this better,than me can solve with this.
    Many people would be glad about Headshot function , I think :)
    Cheers ;)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private ICECreatureUFPSPlayerDamageObject GetPlayerDamage()
    2.        {
    3.            string _behaviour = m_Controller.Creature.Behaviour.BehaviourModeKey;
    4.            float _distance = Vector3.Distance( m_Player.transform.position, transform.position );
    5.             List<ICECreatureUFPSPlayerDamageObject> _damages = new List<ICECreatureUFPSPlayerDamageObject>();
    6.            foreach( ICECreatureUFPSPlayerDamageObject _damage in PlayerDamages )
    7.            {
    8.                if( UsePlayerDamage && _damage.DamageBehaviourModeKey != "" && _damage.DamageBehaviourModeKey == _behaviour && _distance <= _damage.DamageRange )
    9.                     _damages.Add( _damage );
    10.                if( UsePlayerDamage && _damage.DamageBehaviourModeKey != "" && _damage.DamageBehaviourModeKey == _behaviour && hit.collider.tag == "Head" && _distance <= _damage.DamageRange ) /// Here add the head collider but it is now correct
    11.                     _damages.Add( _damage  );  /// Here I tried changed "_damage" with a huge amount.. not work.
    12.            }

7. julianr

julianr

If you look at Environment in the Creature Control, you can add Collisions in there and specify a TAG, Layer or other body part with a collider attached. Then specify what behavior you want and also influences (amount of damage). No code required :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    icetec and arnesso like this.
  8. julianr

julianr

How did you get on? I managed to get the colliders setup in the Environment and they worked fine, but setting the damage values for HeadShot = 100 and BodyShot = 1, did not seem to make a difference - shooting the body still killed the creature, instead of damaging it a bit. I changed the projectile value also to 0.1 on UFPS which didn't make much difference either!

icetec likes this.
  9. arnesso

arnesso

I also made a sphere collider and I tagged it ,as Head , inspite of troll did not die, although influence was 100 % damage.
    But I set up a Shotgun, that killed instantly. I could not figure out yet how to troll dies any hit or shot on the head.

icetec likes this.
  10. julianr

julianr

My guess is, the UFPS adapter is not taking the values from the influence, as it always sets the damage to 100%, so no matter what you do, you will kill it on a headshot and a body shot.

icetec likes this.
  11. julianr

julianr

yeah, I was right.. On the UFPS adapter it switches on advanced influence by default for the Creature damage even if you switch it off before runtime. This overrides your influence settings on the colliders.

icetec likes this.
  12. julianr

julianr

So you'll need to switch it off in the code for now. Then if you set your projectile weapon to say 20 damage, and your creatures health is 100. It will take 5 shots to take it down, and 1 shot to the head :) If you set the influence damage to 1 on a body shot (each value of 1 = 20 damage from the projectile), and setting damage to 100 on the headshot will kill it instantly.

icetec and arnesso like this.
  13. julianr

julianr

Hi Pit. Please could you fix this on the UFPS adapter for the next update so that if you uncheck Advanced Influences it doesn't apply the checkbox at runtime. So that anyone using the Environment/Colliders can benefit from this. Ideal for multiple hitboxes with different damage levels. Thanks :)

icetec and jonfinlay like this.
  14. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

hello god sir, how do you go about setting up an avian type creature now (actually a shark) which swims in a volume and isn't stuck to a terrain?

Is there an example for this?

Thanks!

15. icetec

icetec

Hi Julian, yes of course I'll check and fix it directly and will inform you here if it's done and submitted ...

btw. the fix for Unity 5.2 was already submitted on thuesday and should be online within the next 1-2 days ...

Teila, arnesso and julianr like this.
  16. julianr

julianr

Thanks Pit. Much appreciated. Appreciate the fix on 5.2 also.. I still have a build on that version, but I was forced to upgrade to 5.3.3p1 due to a memory leak in 5.2.4 causing my game to pink screen on creating a build. Doesn't do it in 5.3.3p1

icetec likes this.
  17. icetec

icetec

Hi rpg_gamer, birds and fishes are currently not supported. You can find already some code fragments but I'm still missing a smart way to implement it correctly. But if you want you could handle the diving or flying level by own code ...

Code (CSharp):
    2. GameObject creature = parent.GetComponent<ICECreatureControl>();
    3. creature.Creature..Move.OnUpdateMovePosition += OnMoveUpdatePosition;
    5. void OnMoveUpdatePosition(  GameObject sender, Vector3 origin_position, ref Vector3 _new_position )
    6. {
    7.     // insert here your own movements
    8. _new_position.y += 2;
    9. }
    For more information you can open the sources of the A* Pathfinding Adapter which is using OnUpdateMovePosition to steering the character, but apart from that I'm working to finish the impelentation of birds and fishes and it should be included within the next minor updates ...

julianr likes this.
  18. icetec

icetec

I prefer to use the latest version to keep the source tree up-to-date but I know how complex it is to do this with a complete project and therefore I try to consider also older releases of unity to avoid conflicts, such as the mssing Random.ColorHSV :)

julianr likes this.
  19. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, I've noticed that the save preset function is not working in the latest update (the one you sent me in PM), not sure if it works on the version already on the store, but I don't think it does either. Also, the ability to load a different animal's behaviour, for example I have two hyena models, which I would like to have the same AI behaviour. I believe this is possible, but can't remember so just thought I'd check.

Also, the Selection Criteria should allow for values greater than 100. Basically, I'm creating a small scene where lions are chasing zebras. Zebras run away as the lion gives chase, however will stop when they reach 100, which is a relatively short distance. I've tried extending the Escape Distance, but again this is also capped at 100. So both limits should be removed, or extended to a minimum of 500, preferably 1000, but better to remove the limit altogether if possible.

Also, the ability to rename Acts and Rules.

Thanks

EDIT: I've just realised I'm able to Copy the ICE component and Paste it on the other hyena, so this is a good work-around for now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    julianr likes this.
  20. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Cool cool, I'll wait. It's for age of survival of course. I still don't have a viable sea life ai for the project. New update is nice! I have been putting in new animals. I have even "jerry rigged" a shark ai with ICE putting the shark on an invisible giant box collider under the water shader so it appears as though it's a shark swimming, but it's a shark walking on a flat plane. Crappy thing is the player is of course able to swim right under the shark without the shark being able to get to the player. Can only attack the player if the player is on the same horizontal level of the shark (player layer ignores the physics of the plane that the shark walks on top of)

21. magique

magique

I know it's only been a week so I'm certainly not expecting it to be done or anything, but I just wanted to confirm are you still planning for an Apex Path integration?

22. magique

magique

I haven't yet updated to the latest version, but I just watched the new 1.1 video and I must say that it's absolutely fantastic. The changes are all welcome. I love the wizard and look forward to really giving this a try this weekend. Awesome job!

icetec, jonfinlay and julianr like this.
  23. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I've just found quite an important problem, the Target Influences are not Enabled during runtime, and after testing it appears that no damage is inflicted on the target. However the Target Move, when the Overide option is selected, is shown during runtime, which makes me think the Target Influences has a bug.

Also, just to check, the way a creature will only attack a living creature is by the following condition:
    AND > CREATURE HEALTH > 0.

I couldn't find an option for TARGET CREATURE HEALTH, and presume OWN HEALTH refers to the selected creature, and not its target. I can't test it because of the issue with the Target Influences.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  24. magique

magique

I just installed latest version on Unity 5.2.4 and I'm getting the following error:

Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Editor/Windows/ice_CreatureWizard.cs(308,93): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.Random' does not contain a definition for `ColorHSV'

25. julianr

julianr

That's fixed in the next update. You can comment that line out for now as it will not hurt. Only applies to 5.2.x versions.

26. magique

magique

Thanks. I commented it out already, but thought you should know if you hadn't had it reported yet.

27. julianr

julianr

I'm not an ICE developer btw. But I did report it to Pit when I had that error. I do use ICE CC quite heavily so I pretty much know the product inside and out now.

icetec likes this.
  28. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey all,

I´m on the verge of buying this great package. I´ve read the documentation and I´m curious about the environment surface rules: Can they be also applied to the player object and not just NPCs ? So if the player walks a certain texture, his fatigue is reduced and so on ?

Thanks !

29. gecko

gecko

This looks great, but I have a couple questions:

Does anyone know if it'll work nicely with Mesh Animator, for herds of animals?

UniStorm adaptor is great...but any chance of a Tenkoku adaptor?

How easily extensible is ICE? It looks quite feature-rich, but we'd undoubtedly need additional behaviors that are particular to our gameplay. We can code those ourselves if ICE is easy to hook into (and not likely to break with future updates).

Thanks
    Dave

30. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey Gecko,

I'm preparing a full scene which includes many animal behaviours including the predator-prey chase and kill which you previously requested. Should be ready by the end of tomorrow, in which case I'll post the video here. Looking nice so far, just waiting to know whether Target Influences are currently working correctly, which is needed for the kill.

Would be nice to know whether anybody else has managed to use the Target Influences function, or whether it is actually a problem with the software?

gecko likes this.
  31. icetec

icetec

Hi everybody,
    here another tutorial which will be include v1.1.19 ... in addition to the visiual and olfactory sense your creature can also perceive noises now.

This tutorial shows how to use ICE with Unity’s Navigation Mesh, Off-Mesh Links, different levels, visible and audible targets, multiple selection criteria and the last known position. Try to enter the building without be detected by the Kyle Robots. The bots must see or hear you, but if one bot catch you he will call its mechanical colleagues to help him.

Btw. version 1.1.19 is ready and will be submitted as soon as 1.1.18 is online ...
    Have a nice day!
    Pit

32. icetec

icetec

Hi Dave,
    it should not be a problem for you to expand ICE with own features … the code based on a clear hierarchy and all relevant functions and values are accessible. Here you can find the API reference (http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/docs/html/index.html) and in addition to that the ICECreatureControl class is already prepared to implement your own code (http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/d...1_1_creatures_1_1_i_c_e_creature_control.html)

creature access example ...

Code (CSharp):
    2. public override void UpdateComplete()
    3. {
    4.    Creature.Behaviour.SetBehaviourModeByKey( "CHANGED_ANIMATION" );
    6.    if( Creature.Move.MovePositionReached )
    7.      Creature.SetActiveTarget( MyOwnTarget );
    9.    if( Creature.Status.HealthInPercent <= 20 )
    10.    {
    11.      BroadcastMessageDataObject _msg = new BroadcastMessageDataObject();
    13.      _msg.Command = "HELP";
    14.      _msg.BahaviourKey = "RUN_TO_GROUPMEMBER";
    15.      Creature.SendGroupMessage( _msg );
    16.    }
    18.    if( Creature.Status.HungerInPercent > 50 )
    19.      Creature.Status.AddHunger( -0.25f );
    20. }
    If you have further questions please feel free to contact me (support@icecreaturecontrol.com) and in urgent cases you can also reach also me via skype.

Have a nice day!

Pit

gecko likes this.
  33. icetec

icetec

Hi Jon, was my fault but is already fixed ... I'll send you the update tommorow ...

Best wishes, Pit

arnesso and jonfinlay like this.
  34. icetec

icetec

Hi Secondsight,
    currently ICE handles chiefly your creatures but I’ll expand also the ICECreaturePlayer component to improve the interplay between player and creatures, so that your player will have similar status features as the creatures … but please note, ICE is not a FPS or TP controller, the ICECreaturePlayer is just an additional component to handle the interaction with your creatures, for that reason I provide the adapter for UFPS, RFPSP and shortly also for UnitZ and Opsives TCP …

I hope that's helpful for the moment but please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Pit

35. magique

magique

I think you may have missed my earlier question so posting again here.

I know it's only been a week so I'm certainly not expecting it to be done or anything, but I just wanted to confirm are you still planning for an Apex Path integration?

36. icetec

icetec

Hi Magique, I'm sorry that I have overlooked your earlier question. I would like do realize the Apex Path integration but before I can start with it I have to finish some other tasks, so please give me a little bit time to realize it. The next adapter will be for UnitZ but Apex Path is already listed.

Have a nice day!

Pit

37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

unitz! Yah!!! awesome. Any ETA?

38. magique

magique

No problem. Thanks for confirming it is still coming.

39. paulojsam

paulojsam

isnt unitz dead
    will the implementation
    be for multiplayer also

40. magique

magique

I updated to the latest code and ran through the tutorial video on the asset page. I just added an Ice Golem that was free on the asset store. When I play the tutorial, the golem just runs up and into the player and continuously just keeps running into him. Shouldn't it stop within the stopping range and then attack me?

Also, I see the scene window is just filled with a red coloring after I add the demo items to the scene. The game runs fine in play mode, but the scene view is always red colored.

EDIT: I'm also seeing a bug. If I open the Wizard and drag in one of the already generated monsters, it fills in all the details in the wizard except the Scale. I have to keep setting the scale to what I want it to be every time I go back to the wizard to adjust something.

EDIT 2: Another thing I'm seeing now after using the Pool system and instantiating about a dozen monsters. They will wander around the terrain, but if they go up some slopes then they end up just going around in circles forever on the side of a hill.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  41. gecko

gecko

Has anyone used ICE with Opsivo's Third Person Controller? Any integration difficulties?

icetec likes this.
  42. julianr

julianr

You may need to write your own adapter for the creature/player damage, but its not that different from the UFPS one. Pit has it on the task list though.

icetec likes this.
  43. icetec

icetec

Hi Magique,
    I’m sorry for my late response, sometimes the days are simply too short to fulfil all important tasks.

The behaviour you describes can be completely correct, that’s dependent to the defined settings. In general you are right, the creature should stop within the stopping range and then interact with the given target. These standard behaviour pattern you can find in the home and mission targets – if your creature is far away from its active target it will TRAVEL to reach the target and run the RENDESVOUS behaviour (e.g. attack, trade etc.) as soon as the stopping range was reached. But ICE provides you also much more complex behaviour scenarios by using the interaction feature. If you are using an interactor, the behaviours are not limited or based on pre-sets, you are completely free by defining several interactor rules to specify the desired scenario. The setup-wizard can support you to generate basic interaction rules but dependent to your creature and its individual characteristics you have to do the fine-adjustment by yourself, here it’s important that you know exactly what your creature have to do. Your described behaviour you can reach with an interactor with two rules – HUNTING and ATTACK.

Here a simple example: create an interactor with two rules (HUNTING and ATTACK) and set the selection priority of the first rule to 75 and its selection range to 50 and the priority of the second rule to 80 and its selection range to 3, so that ATTACK will have the higher relevance. If your prey-target is within a selection range of 50 (first rule) your creature will detect and hunt the target until the target will be in a selection range of 3 (second rule), in this case your predator-creature will attack the prey. Tip: make sure that the Stopping Distance of the target is smaller than 3, otherwise it can be that your creature will never reach the second selection range. Open now the ATTACK behaviour, activate the Favoured flag and define the desired minimum time for an attack, so that your predator will also hold the attack behaviour in cases the prey flee and leave the selection range (otherwise your creature will permanently switch between HUNTING and ATTACK in milliseconds while following the prey and attack it again – it’s okay to follow the prey but a real lifeform needs time to analyse the situation, coordinate its movements and to change its physical position), activate now the movements of the ATTACK behaviour, set the forward velocity to zero and the angular velocity to 5-10 and set the Viewing Direction to CENTER (so the creature can turn around and facing the prey without spatial movements). In addition you can flag the BAN button to make sure that your creature will not enter the Stopping Distance of the target (that’s especially important if your target is your player with the active camera, in this case you should also adapt the stopping distance suitable to your perspective, so that the attack looks realistic. Btw. here you could run into a problem if the player can switch between FPS and TPC view, because the best stopping distance for each view could be extremely different. You can handle this issue with a custom script by adapting the best stopping distance for each view during the runtime).

I know that a lot of people like to handle everything quickly with a simple click, but the real world and especially organic lifeforms are too complex to handle each possibility with a shortcut for this reason there are not so much AI systems which are able to cover this large bandwidth and I would never claim that ICE is ready to do it but I do my best to improve and optimize the system, to offer you the possibilities to approximate the max.

This issue is already fixed, was a problem with the new text gizmos … update is already submitted … for a quick fix just deactivate the register gizmos.

You are right, I notices already that this scale function is an infelicitous feature, which is mostly not really required and as needed easy to adapt in the transform component, so I’ll remove this feature completely from the wizard.

You can try to adapt or deactivate the Slope Settings of the Essential section. Your creatures are wandering within the defined Random Positioning Range of a target by using dynamic generated waypoints. If you define such a Random Positioning Range you should make sure that each potential position within this range will be walkable and reachable for your creature, otherwise you will see the mentioned behaviour if your creature can’t reach the given move position. In such a case you can try to increase the stopping distance or to activate the deadlock handler (with update position) to solve it but the best way is to make sure that all potential positions will be reachable. If you want that your creatures wandering around the complete terrain (especially if it’s a hilly and obstacle rich area) you should create several waypoints, each with a safe Random Positioning Range, instead of a single location target with a large range. To make absolutely sure that your creature don’t leave the walkable area you can use also an additional pathfinding component with ICE such as NavMesh or A* Pathfinding (and also Apex in the future)

I hope my answer will be helpful to you but please feel free to contact me again whenever you have a question or run into a problem and in urgent cases you can contact me also via skype so I’ll support you in realtime.

Have a nice day!

Pit

arnesso likes this.
  44. magique

magique

Thanks for the information. I'll try to look at all of your suggestions and see how it helps. I don't use Skype so it'll have to be e-mail or forum support only.

45. icetec

icetec

Hi Gecko,
    to write an adapter for TPC should not be a big deal. I'll do this asap and I have already contact Justin but I think he is a little bit busy at the moment with UFPS etc. But if you want write one I'll support you as best I can ... You can use the ICECreaturePlayer script as base class and the UFPS and RFPSP adapter scripts as examples, there you will find all relevant snippets you need to handle ICE. I don't know the TPC code but there should be something like a damage handler which you will need to receice and send damage to TPC.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and if you want also in skype ...

Best wishes, Pit

46. icetec

icetec

asap :) ... its nearly finish but I missig the time to do the final steps ...

47. magique

magique

This is good news. I use TPC by Opsive as well and would love for a smooth integration.

icetec and Teila like this.
  48. icetec

icetec

This forum here is the best place but if you want you can write me also to support@icecreaturecontrol.com

49. Teila

Teila

Same here! We also use Opsive's controller. We do not use UFPS though.

50. icetec

icetec

Okay, I have understand the message, have purchased TPC now and will favour this adapter :)

arnesso, gecko, julianr and 2 others like this.