Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. julianr

julianr

With ICE or Unity in general? I'm on 5.6, decided to stick with this release as each update causes a few issues - mainly to do with textures on Probuilder items, but I've figured out what caused that. Next stage after my initial game release is networking. I guess if you've done it on unet it will hook into Forge networking ok?

2. Teila

Teila

Unet works great, but not with ICE. I have no idea if it will work with Forge. It seems to be problems syncing across the clients/servers. We have been in contact with Pit and he has tried to help us but we could not keep failing continuously and make our deadline. So had to move on.

Our new solution has worked seamlessly so we may stay with that.

PM: We have a dedicated network person who has not been able to get it to work either, sadly.

wood333 and julianr like this.
  3. Harekelas

Harekelas

would like to know which AI system you switched to? Haven't found a better solution for flying and aquatic animals than ICE.
    Considered Emerald before, but it does not support non-landed animal at all.

4. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Just tried to send the presets through but it kept on saying error so here is the screenshots. It is the dead behaviour, impact behaviour the essentials and the interaction. Even though i have the dead and impacts in the essentials they still wont play animations.

Attached Files:

5. me97esn

me97esn

I am trying to get ICE creature control to work with a generated, infinite world. I want to spawn many creatures, spread out over a generated terrain. I saw a reply from 2015 about
    ICECreatureDynamicHome, which was built to handle this use case.
    However, that script doesn't work with version 1.3.6, it gives compiler errors.
    Do you have any plans on fixing these errors? Or do you have any other recommendations in how to handle this?

6. lod3

lod3

DEAD looks fine. I assume you've tested the animation on the character? The only other thing I can think of is that the removing delay is still at its default 0 (instantly remove on death). I attached a screenshot. The value must be greater than 0, or you'll never see the death animation played.

As for IMPACT, if you're using UFPS you won't be able to trigger it until 1.4. IMPACT relies on 'ApplyDamage' to trigger, where UFPS uses the 'Damage' message (Direct). Pit said he combined WOUNDED and IMPACT for 1.4, and fixed it so UFPS can trigger pain animations, but yeah... only in 1.4.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• dead.PNG
      dead.PNG
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    jonfinlay likes this.
  7. wood333

wood333

Would you consider sharing your solution, or as much as you feel comfortable sharing? It would be a great help.

8. Teila

Teila

This is the ICE forum and I respect that. Sorry. We are not using any specific asset, just making our own solution for our game.

I still have hope that ICE will work for you guys. We have a deadline so could not wait any longer. But I would not give up yet.

9. julianr

julianr

Wait and see what 1.4 brings, hopefully in the next day or so. :)

10. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Changing the removing delay doesn't do the death animations i have tried it unless i'm doing a wrong value there and I'm using mixamo zombies that has animations with them and they all work. They are free at mixamo. And i had no idea about the impact thanks for letting me know. But i have also finally worked out the mecanim parameter controller which is good so now i don't have to use direct animation or legacy animation all the time.

Would anyone know how i would do headshots on a zombie or any character, like 1 shot in the head kills instantly.

11. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I added the LEISURE behavior and added in a walk animation and an idle animation.

Whenever the idle animation plays, the character is still moving towards it target. I've tried not setting the movement and I've tried setting the movement to 0, but they don't work.

12. sylon

sylon

Problems, problems, problems.
    My advice to everyone here, trying to get things to work, is to wait for the 1.4 release.
    If you read the last few pages of this thread, you'll find there are many problems. Bugs, unpredictable behaviors, unacceptable GC spikes ... not to mention an absent developer who does not think keeping us up to date is the nice thing to do.
    I personally have frozen all ICE related development. When 1.4 eventually appears, i'll do a quick test run, to see if my problems are fixed. If not, i'll drop this asset and will never look back.
    I have lost too much time on this already.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  13. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Wow...with many reviews and 5 start rating, I thought this product of fully battle tested. It looks like I might have to go back to writing my own code. It obviously won't be as robust as this...what a shame.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  14. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I jumped from ICE to Emerald and back, and back again. One lacks massive tutorials, other lacks features ... I wait now for Emerald 2.0 which looks promising.

Salja likes this.
  15. Salja

Salja

yeah cant wait of Emerald 2.0 Looks amazing

16. Amfu

Amfu

Hi,
    I have a few questions before buying this asset:
    1. Is it possible to programmatically set the noisiness of a NPC or the player?
    2. Is it possible to write our own behaviors script (some class we cna extend or some interface we can implement)?
    3. In general, what control do you have on the all system by script? Is it easily extendable without modifying your code?

17. noanoa

noanoa

Hello, I've read the document and I couldn't find a topic about using ICE from script. Happened to be somewhat a similar question as the comment above but is there any brief script tutorial?
    I wouldn't need details(some codes without comments would do) but would like to know safe/proper coding procedure to

setup the ICE system on an empty scene( would it be enough to Instantiate() a prefab?)
    to add and register a creature(would it work by just adding required component?)
    to unregister a creature and safely destroy its gameobject
    to kill the ICE system cleanly( to setup the system again later)

Also can there be multiple ICE system instances on a scene?

Thanks!

18. Tethys

Tethys

I have watched both for a long while now. Emerald guys are just as guilty of stalling production, but more importantly, they only see things inside the box and develop that way. Offer them a scenario outside of typical development and mind blown. The fact that their AI requires NavMesh is a good example of this, IMO.

To me, ICE just seems like the golden product that never seems to cross the finish line for whatever reason. Look at Megasplat and how quick that product became a top asset on the asset store. Its been around only for less than half a year - but the developer is always on the forum. Always pushing updates, always answering questions. Asking what people want next, and providing timely video tutorials on how to use his features. It's not enough to make an amazing product, IMO, which ICE is, it needs to be supported and advanced regularly until it is everything it needs to be, in a TIMELY manner. That said, we have stuck with ICE because we LOVE Ice, what works and how its put together and the potential is just great, and also feel like despite the bugs and slow development, it is still the most robust and flexible AI on the asset store. I feel like this new 1.4 update is going to finally have the things we needed(networking) to integrate it into our live projects.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  19. julianr

julianr

I agree, maybe there is a lesson to be learned from this and perhaps Pit will listen and update / support people. But we also don't know what goes on in a developers personal life which may have an impact. If ICE is project managed properly you can then see that you do not need to be away from your community as much, yeah it may take longer for the updates, but make them smaller. I think maybe 1.4 had to be re-written, and I can understand that when you have such a large project it can get out of control and become a complete mess of code and could be designed better to be more modular and making future support and updates easier to manage. Providing 1.4 is out within the next week I will stick with ICE as networking and certain fixes are important to me, but like any of us we have deadlines to meet, or have far exceeded this deadline in the hope that we will get a better product and put our hopes and everything else into an asset that would save us a whole lot of time, money and make your project stand out, which is why we purchased it from the start. But like any other asset we buy them to save time and add value, but when they do not save you time in the long run, could you have developed it yourself? Maybe if you had the experience/time/people to do so, but then you may not have bought it in the first place.

Many of us have switched to ICE because we were not happy with a previous AI system or lack of updates, but can't help feel that we're always going to be on that roundabout, as it is often out of our control. Sometimes once you get a release of an asset its best to stick with it and improve on it as best as you can.

This is by no means an attack on Pit. Just feedback that needs to be addressed and then put behind us to move forward. The last thing I or anyone else would want to do is see ICE abandoned. We look forward to the 1.4 update Pit, just give us a quick reply in the forum with an update :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Tethys and TonanBora like this.
  20. lod3

lod3

So, I guess what concerns me the most here is that I've seen posts recently by very prominent supporters of ICE parley, even if subtly and politely, over their frustration at @icetec, and/or the state of ICE.

This concerns me because these are ICE devotees I'd expect to be beta testing 1.4, but clearly are not. Is anyone beta testing 1.4, or is Pit developing in a vacuum? As stated, that's what concerns me.

21. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi I have been guilty of asking where PIT is but it must be time consuming developing really good features for an asset that when it does finally come out we get a workable asset. Yes you always have to ask questions about any problems you may have with this asset and Yes I agree PIT should maybe hire someone that will keep the forum in the loop and yes there should be a lot more tutorials but in my experience that I have had with a lot of assets Ice Creature Control is the only AI asset that has ever worked for me which is great. I didn't have to watch that much tutorials to get a workable AI system going although I am waiting for the release of 1.4 but in the mean time I am working on getting other parts of my AI going and maybe later on doing a tutorial with UFPS and zombies. Although I haven't done any tutorials ever.

Teila likes this.
  22. Teila

Teila

It is extremely difficult to support an asset, especially a complex one. I can see how over time, enthusiasm wanes. I could never do what many of these asset developers do. The money made does not at all cover the time spent doing support.

Tethys likes this.
  23. julianr

julianr

I think a lot of it boils down to the fact people feel like they are in limbo, and need a reply to justify that ICE 1.4 will make it out and fix the issues they are having, as every day that passes the feeling of not knowing when it will be out or if it will be out as the mistake of a release date was revealed in a review and then that date passes. It was a ballpark figure date, but either way a date that could have been given a range to remove the pressure from Pit, as development is always something that needs more time, no matter how much you try and hit that deadline, it very rarely happens on big projects.

TonanBora likes this.
  24. TonanBora

TonanBora

I do not think any of us are beta testing. I do believe Pit is doing it all on his own, which might be why there are as many bugs as there is, and why Pit has to focus on work so much.

Yup, if there is one thing that I think Pit needs to do, is stay involved in the community he helped create. His absence, and lack of Github updates is worrisome. And as previously mentioned, smaller bite sized updates would be fantastic. But even lacking the small updates, regular updates from him on this forum would go a LONG way to easing everyone's worries, even if he just mentions what he is working on.

Now, just so you all know, he DID update the ICE Github on the 27th, mainly the integration and tutorial folders, and the update notes where "Updates v1.4".

Tethys and lod3 like this.
  25. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Evening all,

Anyone got a good handle on the Inventory system and could answer a couple of questions?

Is there a method to check if an item is already in hand before picking up another? My character will pick up an item even when carrying one already and inventory is limited to carrying one in hand, this just makes one item vanish.

Is there a method to delete and item when it is dropped, or even just a remove from hand I cant seem to find it anywhere in the code.

Thanks,

Andy

26. Tethys

Tethys

Haha, the same could be said for those of us still working live projects that make no money. :p I hope to set our Steam game to released in a few months and move on. Lessons were learned, money wasn't made but still got to save face so we work for no pay and hope for the best. :)

27. Teila

Teila

Well, we know what we are getting into before we start the project. Someone that makes an asset solely for the money is hoping to get paid for the time he spends developing and giving support. So not entirely the same thing. :)

For all we know, Pit is spending this time on his dream project. If so, I wish him the best of luck. He is obviously a talented guy. :)

Tethys likes this.
  28. lod3

lod3

Where is the Github located? I remember the ICE product description mentioning access to the Github, but I've been unable to find it, and it's not even mentioned in the manual.

29. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Just worked it out on my own Zombies with help from scouring the forums and lod3, Tonanbora, etc.
    May not be the "correct" or "best" way, but works for me. Here is what the Zombie's "Head" bone looks like:
    upload_2017-9-1_11-13-50.png
    Notice it is on a specific layer. "Creature" in this case.
    Here is what the attacker's melee "Hand" bone is set to:
    upload_2017-9-1_11-17-49.png
    Set to the "Enemy" layer.
    I am trying to figure out now why my player can damage both of these guys (on the Player layer), but they can't hurt each other, even though their layers are indicated in the Behavior Layer Mask.
    Hope it helps!

Mark

30. TonanBora

TonanBora

Well, if he took out the link to the Github from both the manual, and the asset toolbar, I will respect his wishes and not redistribute the link anywhere without his say so. :)

31. lod3

lod3

EDIT: Nevermind, found it on the Asset Toolbar - thanks for mentioning that!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  32. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

I ended up working it out thank you I had everything right except it was a capsule collider that i use to spawn blood on zombie was hiding the head collider so i made my capsule collider smaller and also had to make the head collider bigger so headshots will work.

33. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@Pit Where are you?
    What is the new ETA for 1.4?

Mark

34. lod3

lod3

@icetec hasn't posted in 35 days, and his last activity on the forum was a week ago when he updated the ICE Github. It's possible 1.4 was submitted then, but a week is a long time (unless the submission was rejected due to a bug etc, and Pit had to fix - then re-submit).

At any rate, it's probably a safe bet we won't see Pit until 1.4 hits, whenever that is. He's obviously under a lot of pressure, but all of that could be alleviated with basic communication. He could post a quick reply saying, "Still 2 weeks out" and I would happily wait. The comforting power of information goes a long way.

Tethys and AndyNeoman like this.
  35. julianr

julianr

not a good sign, lets hope he is back in a few days with a juicy 1.4 update!

36. lawsochi

lawsochi

I do not understand ...
    What's so hard to say: "hey guys, I sent 1.4 to the store, I'm waiting for confirmation"
    or "not everything works out as we planned, we work on it, I will tell you about the progress of work" ... this difficult?
    It seems that this is the case: they take your money and then when you need the guy, like today, he's doing something else.

37. julianr

julianr

some people just put themselves in lockdown until its done. Lets hope this is the case and not abandoned. It would be a big shame - ICE is one of the top AI solutions at the moment, albeit it needs some work (current version) which hopefully 1.4 will address.

AndyNeoman and lod3 like this.
  38. danteswap

danteswap

Hey Guys How To Setup A creature Like In This Video So It Climbs hills Perfictly Like The Bear In This Video "
    ". I Have A Rhino But The Colliders Arent Working And While Climbing The Body Of Rhino Is Half Inside The Terrain With No Rotation With Respect To the terrain

39. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi all,

I trying to get my AI creature to go to a object and then first sit down, then lie down and then go to sleep. I have the animations set up, they go to object and then either go through all acts instantly so you don't see the sit down etc. or just stay at the spot and walk in place if I set a delay on each act (which i though would solve the problem) Any tips on how to make the AI do each act one after the other for a set time?

EDIT: the delay timer has sort of worked but the walking in spot is due to me wanting the creature to get to the exact location (or at least .01) which it does not seem to like. The problem is it will not look right if the actions are not done in the right spot. There is nothing blocking so not sure why they cant get to the exact spot.

Also there only seems to be options to add damage or negative effects, is there no way without creating a scripting method to add to positive attributes like add to stamina when sleeping?

EDIT 2. Found the problem with adding positive attributes, I did not have advanced status on. So the only issue which remains is the AI walks on the spot at the item for a few seconds before sitting/lying down.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    julianr likes this.
  40. julianr

julianr

One thing is to make sure you have the priority set to different numbers in the sequence.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  41. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

hmmmm, i noticed they automatically go up by one each time, maybe that should be reversed, but then will they just stick at the lower act?

I'm having a problem to test because I need stamina to be 50% to kick in act but even when i set default to 45% it changes to 100% at runtime. I will have to add some stamina loss to each movement to get them to decrease.

42. julianr

julianr

ICE 1.3.7 crashes on importing to Unity 5.6.2f1, anyone else had that issue?

43. Sehee26

Sehee26

Hi @icetec, i want to work with ICE and Invector Third Person Controller, but i don´t find how to do it in the last update.
    This integration it´s still in development?, how can adapt it to work together? Thanks

44. Carmexx

Carmexx

No, i never noticed an issue with 2f1. I can confirm ice works with unity 2017.1. I never noticed a huge issue, maybe fps drop a wee bit, but i'm sure there's tweaks for the new unity version pit needs to address.

julianr likes this.
  45. julianr

julianr

Thanks. I'm having issues with it when the API updater kicks in, crashes unity trying to update ICE scripts. Trying it on 5.6.3 now

46. julianr

julianr

Seems like it was my project file, tried it on another and it was ok.

edit: appears to be something in the Standard Assets folder that it doesn't like after importing ICE.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  47. barnettjv

barnettjv

Hello, I am just learning ICE and am so far hopeful it will be able to do what I need. I was wondering if/how we can implement movement transitions (i.e. LeftRun-Run-RightRun) and use 3 different animations depending on how my creature wants to turn? FYI I'm currently working with a Stag.

48. Harekelas

Harekelas

What do you mean left and right run?
    If they mean the turning animation, then you can use unity animator's blendtrees and use two parameters, forward speed and angular speed to assign the animations.
    Then use advanced animation control in ICE's behavior section - animation option.
    Use dynamic parameters, assign ICE's forward speed and angular speed to your animator's parameters then it should work.

49. MrGky93

MrGky93

how to make sea animals to use ai like swimming under and above the sea
    ?

50. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@barnettjv &
    Come on, spend some time reading the manual, and going through the forums. There is a search function that can expedite the process. Also, @TonanBora has provided some basic videos to get you started. Work through them, and then come back with your well defined challenges. There are a few folks here that will try to help.

Mark

Tethys likes this.