Search Unity

[UPDATED] Editor Window Fullscreen ■ v1.3.3 ■ Develop and Test in Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CrystalConflux, May 31, 2017.

1. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Preview your game or art in fullscreen without leaving the editor. Boost your productivity by fullscreening your favorite editor windows on your secondary screen at the touch of a button.

New in v1.3.3: Option to enable VSync in fullscreen by default.
    New in v1.3.2: Option to disable Scene View to improve FPS.
    New in v1.3.1: Now compatible with Unity 2019.3 and Unity 2020
    New in v1.3.0: Major performance improvements, fullscreen split views, pre-define game view settings and more. See patch notes for details.

Asset Store Link:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/editor-window-fullscreen-85477

Tutorial Video:
    https://youtu.be/NXQioqLA0tI

Description:
    An editor extension which allows any editor window, including the in-editor game view, to be opened instantly in fullscreen mode, on any screen. Great for quick-testing the game in a realistic resolution, and maximizing the use of your screen space with your favourite Unity editor windows.

Key Features:

• Open any editor window in fullscreen mode, including the in-editor game view.
    • Native fullscreen support on Windows 10 and Mac (macOS).
    • Seamlessly switch between fullscreens of different type.
    • Auto-enter fullscreen on play, and exit fullscreen on game stop (and vice-versa).
    • All windows retain their settings and state when entering fullscreen.
    • Customize hotkeys and settings via a user-friendly GUI settings window (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+F8).
    • Multi-monitor support. Open fullscreens on one or more screens at once.
    • Supports per-monitor display scaling (hi-DPI) often found on high-resolution laptop screens.
    • Switch between user-defined aspect ratios and game "Displays" at the touch of a button, using pre-defined custom game views.
    • Fullscreen the main Unity window.
    • Reloads previous fullscreen state when restarting Unity.
    • Toggle the top toolbar for the game view or any other view when in fullscreen mode.
    Installation:
    No special installation is required for fullscreen functionality. Once you've imported this package into your project, all of the fullscreen hotkeys should work out-of-the-box.

Demo Installation:
    If you want to play the demo — an optional and brief 2D tutorial on how to use this extension, please follow the instructions contained in the Readme.txt included with the package.

Defaults:
    By default, fullscreen windows open at the current mouse position. This is adjustable in settings. When toggling fullscreen, a new fullscreen window is created if none of that type exists at the desired position. If one already exists at that position, it is closed.
    Default Hotkeys (Default Mac hotkey in brackets):
    • Toggle fullscreen for the Main Unity Window: F8 (⌘F8)
    • Toggle fullscreen for the Scene View: F10 (⌘F10)
    • Toggle fullscreen for the Game Window: F11 (⌘F11)
    • Toggle fullscreen for the focused window: F9 (⌘F9)
    • Toggle fullscreen for the window under cursor: Ctrl+F9 (⌘+⌥+F9)
    • Show toolbar while in fullscreen: F12 (⌘F12)
    • Close all fullscreen windows: Ctrl+F8 (⌘+⌥+F8)
    Menu Items:
    There is a menu-item for every fullscreen hotkey, located in the menu bar under the "Window" menu.

Settings:
    Settings and hotkeys can be changed in the graphical "Fullscreen Window Settings" window. You can access this through the Edit menu, by going to "Edit >> Fullscreen Window Settings...". Alternatively you can use the hotkey Ctrl+Shift+F8 to immediately open the settings window.
    Here you can change:
    • The hotkeys for creating and closing fullscreen editor windows.
    • The position where each window type will enter fullscreen. (At the current window position, mouse
    • position, or a custom position). This determines which screen the fullscreen window will open on.
    • Whether to show the top toolbar by default, when entering fullscreen mode. (Only applies to Scene View, Game View, and Main Window, which have top toolbars).
    • The hotkey for showing/hiding the top toolbar, if one exists, when in fullscreen mode.
    • The hotkey for closing all fullscreen windows.
    • Options to link game start and stop events to exiting and entering of a fullscreen game window.
    • Whether to show a notification on fullscreen entry.
    Additional Comments:
    • Source code is included, along with code usage information in the Readme.
    • Bug reports or suggestions are welcome!
    • I'm happy to answer any questions either through the support email (support@crystalconflux.com), or here on the forum.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    cecarlsen likes this.
  2. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Version History:

v1.0

• Initial Release
    v1.01
    • Prevented an error which could occur when the demo was present but not in use.
    v1.1
    • Added support for Unity 5.0-5.3. (Now supports Unity 5.0-5.6 and Unity 2017).
    • Moved all of the menu items (including fullscreen settings) to "Window >> Editor Window Fullscreen".
    • New settings window colours for the professional (dark) skin.
    • Fixed a bug where a fullscreen SceneView would not reset the audio enabled status on other scene views when it should.
    v1.2.3
    • Added support for Mac OS.
    • Updated to support Unity 2018.
    • Added option to show a notification when fullscreen is entered.
    • Added option to close all other game views when entering a fullscreen game view (to improve FPS).
    • Added option to unfocus the docked game view when entering a fullscreen game view (to improve FPS).
    • Support for fullscreening Project, Timeline, and Playmaker windows.
    • Added a Debugging mode which can be enabled through the options.
    • Fix folder structure to allow first-pass compiling and other-language support. (Prevents the extension from adding to your project compile time)
    • Various minor bugfixes.
    v1.2.4
    • Fixed a fatal compile-time error which occurred when running the editor with a non Windows/Mac/Linux build target.
    v1.2.5
    • Retain the focused window when reloading the fullscreen state.
    • Added the ability to clear hotkeys in the settings window, using ESC, BACKSPACE, or DEL.
    • Fullscreen hotkeys are now disabled when changing a hotkey in settings. (Prevents a fullscreen action from overriding a hotkey change).
    • Detect and clear hotkey conflicts when setting hotkeys.
    • Fixed an issue where restarting Unity multiple times would not reload the fullscreen state correctly.
    v1.3.0
    • Major overhaul of Mac fullscreen. Native Mac fullscreen is now utilized.
    • Fixed major FPS drops/game view lag when entering fullscreen on Mac which happened in some setups.
    • Fullscreen on Mac is now more reliable across systems.
    • Major performance improvements on Windows. (Now enters fullscreen twice as fast).
    • Can now fullscreen multiple windows at once (split views) using F9 hotkey.
    • All windows now keep their settings and state when entering fullscreen.
    • Added option to choose game view settings which will be applied when entering fullscreen.
    • Users can now create unlimited custom fullscreen game views with their own hotkey and predefined settings.
    • Switch between user-defined aspect ratios and game camera "Displays" at the touch of a button.
    • Several other small enhancements and fixes.
    v1.3.1
    • Made compatible with Unity 2019.3 and Unity 2020.
    • Added new hotkey for "Reset to Default Layout"
    v1.3.2
    • Added an option to disable all scene windows while we're in play mode and the game view is focused (to improve FPS).
    • Fixed an issue where in later versions on Mac there is a grey bar at the bottom in the fullscreen game view.
    • Fix a crash when using Ctrl+F8 in some versions of Unity on Windows.
    • Other optimizations.
    v1.3.3
    • Added an option to enable VSync by default when opening a fullscreen game view.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Looks useful! I just bought a license. Is there anything that would prevent this from running in Unity 5.2.3? It would be helpful in a project I'm involved with that's still on 5.2.3.

4. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Hi Tony, I hope you find it useful!

I uploaded the extension with 5.4 and have tested it up to 5.6.

It uses some reflection and methods which were only recently introduced. I know that 5.0 currently doesn't work with it, but it's possible that 5.2.3 works. However, I haven't tested 5.2.3 as of yet.

I'm considering adding support for every version back until 5.0. I'll let you know how that goes.

TonyLi likes this.
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'll test it out with a 5.2.3 project next week and let you know how it goes.

CrystalConflux likes this.
  6. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Alright, thanks!

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

BTW, the min version is Unity 5.4.0.

According to Sabresaurus's invaluable Unity API Versioner, UnityEditor.SceneView.SceneViewState.showImageEffects was introduced in 5.4.0.

One request: Would you please organize all the menu items under a submenu of the Window menu? In a project with a lot of editor plugins, 7 extra menu items takes up a lot of real estate.

8. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Good to know! I'll work towards copying the SceneViewState in its entirety regardless of how many fields it has, in order to account for previous versions, as well as future versions of Unity which have extra states.

Regarding your request: Sounds like a good idea; I'll consolidate them into a single "Fullscreen" submenu.

TonyLi likes this.
  9. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Almost finished adding support for versions back to 5.0. Aiming to upload later this week.

Also fixed the settings window for the pro skin:

TonyLi likes this.
  10. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

I've just uploaded the new version (v1.1). Hopefully it'll show up on the asset store before too long.

Changes:
    - Added support for Unity 5.0-5.3. (Now supports Unity 5.0-5.6 and Unity 2017).
    - Moved all of the menu items (including fullscreen settings) to "Window >> Editor Window Fullscreen".
    - New settings window colours for the professional (dark) skin.
    - Fixed a bug where a fullscreen SceneView would not reset the audio enabled status on other scene views when it should.

TonyLi likes this.
  11. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Alright, version 1.1 is up!

12. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

I was messing around with Playmaker, I put it in fullscreen as it's much easier to edit the node graph that way. However it's causing errors when I do this, I think because Playmaker only supports one open window at a time. I'll look into a fix for the next update.

13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Does it work on Mac?

14. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Sadly I haven't got around to testing this yet as I don't have access to a Mac right now. If you're willing to test it on Mac and let me know the results, I'm happy to send you a free copy.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

sure I will be happy to test it out, thanks

16. vertxxyz

vertxxyz

Hi, wonderful extension.
    Just a heads up there'll be some errors (I'm in 2017.2.0b8) in 2017.2 (CrystalConflux informs me that apparently this is a local problem and not unity versions, they're looking into it now), where WithMainWindow in SystemDisplay.cs returns null. A temp fix can just return the first array index instead for anyone with this issue.

I'd appreciate for neatness's sake if the next version could have the settings window in the Preferences panel ([PreferenceItem],) and the shortcuts appended to Window/Layout; but this is not essential.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  17. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

18. brisingre

brisingre

Just bought this and it works great! I love the ability to run the game automatically when I open a fullscreen game view.

One thing that would be very useful to me is the ability to dock windows to fullscreen windows. For example, I'd like to be able to have my probuilder tools on the same monitor as a fullscreen editor window, or a fullscreen Archimatix graph with the Archimatix toolbar windows docked to it. It might be possible to do this already and I'm just doing it wrong, but it seems that I can only have docked windows on one monitor, with the main unity window.

19. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

You're right, dockable fullscreen windows, or at least properly-maximizable ones would be great. Right now it's possible in Unity to maximize a window and dock others to it (Drag a window from the main window to your other screen, then drag another window on top of it), but it doesn't fit the screen nicely, at least on Windows.

I'm currently working on finishing the Mac support, but hopefully I can add the ability to fullscreen an entire dock in future. It's on the list, anyway :).

brisingre likes this.
  20. brisingre

brisingre

Excellent news.

Thanks for the great tool. This is, like, the first thing I install in every new project now.

21. Ravery

Ravery

The fullscreen option reduces my FPS from ~80 to ~28. Can you help me solve the problem?

Another error is "Open Fullscreen on game start", which, when I set it to anything but "None" will start the game, but it is paused immediately due the following error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorWindowExtensions.MakeFullscreenWindow (UnityEditor.EditorWindow editorWindow, Boolean hideTopToolbar, Vector2 atPosition) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorWindowExtensions.cs:267)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorWindowExtensions.SetFullscreen (UnityEditor.EditorWindow editorWindow, Boolean setFullscreen, Vector2 atPosition) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorWindowExtensions.cs:137)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorWindowExtensions.ToggleFullscreen (UnityEditor.EditorWindow editorWindow, Vector2 atPosition) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorWindowExtensions.cs:222)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorFullscreenState.ToggleFullscreen (EditorWindowFullscreen.WindowFullscreenState windowState, Boolean createNewWindow, Vector2 atPosition) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorFullscreenState.cs:810)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorFullscreenState.ToggleFullscreen (System.Type windowType, Boolean createNewWindow, Vector2 atPosition, Boolean showTopToolbar, Boolean triggeredOnPlayStateChange) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorFullscreenState.cs:758)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorFullscreenState.ToggleFullscreen (System.Type windowType, Vector2 atPosition, Boolean showTopToolbar, Boolean triggeredOnPlayStateChange) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorFullscreenState.cs:749)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorFullscreenState.ToggleFullscreenAtOptionsSpecifiedPosition (UnityEditor.EditorWindow editorWin, System.Type windowType, FullscreenOption fullscreenOptions, Boolean triggeredOnPlayStateChange) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorFullscreenState.cs:673)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorFullscreenController.ToggleGameViewFullscreen (Boolean triggeredOnPlayStateChange) (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Controller/EditorFullscreenController.cs:70)
    EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorFullscreenController.PlayModeStateChanged () (at Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Controller/EditorFullscreenController.cs:386)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PlayModeStateChanged (PlayModeStateChange state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:215)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

22. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Hi Ravery,

Re. the error you are experiencing, can you please let me know which version of Unity you are running?

FPS we likely don't have much control over, that'll be affected by the efficiency of the Unity play mode player and your GPU speed. The reason your FPS is dropping is most likely because of the larger render resolution putting more stress on your GPU. You can test smaller resolutions by pushing F12 in fullscreen mode and then adding a new custom screen size in the top toolbar.

23. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

After playing around a bit more trying to see if I could get a large FPS drop such as you are experiencing, I found that if two Game windows are open at the same time, FPS drops drastically. To prevent this from happening, close all other game windows before opening your fullscreen Game window. Perhaps we can add an option to do this automatically in future.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  24. danieldixon123

danieldixon123

I just imported the asset and I'm getting this error message
    Assets/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/Display Detection/SystemDisplay.cs(34,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MacOSDisplay' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

How can I resolve this?

25. danieldixon123

danieldixon123

Im using Mac by the way is this plugin only for windows?

26. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

The current version doesn't support Mac. The next version (1.2) will support Mac but it hasn't been released yet.

If you email me your invoice number (You can find it at https://assetstore.unity.com/orders) I can send you the beta version.

27. Rotock

Rotock

I have 2 screens, and my WindowsTaskbar is on the second screen.
    So then i have closed all game windows and start play mode, unity it creates a normal game window, while in play mode.
    Even when i set the settings, to start directly in full-screen, through my taskbar preview window,
    i can see that unity is alway opening the normal game window in background.

Is there a way to prevent this. 2 Rendering screens is a bit much especially with post progressing.

Also, the fullscreen window seems to have the priority for Screen.width and Screen.height

28. luigis

luigis

Hi, I've just buyed your asset. I need to make 6 game view in full screen but is not working, just 2 windows are full screen. Do you know a good way to make all 6 game view full screen?

Thanks a lot

29. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Usually if a game window is already open when the game starts, Unity won't open a new one. So if you open the game window first, it shouldn't create a new one. Have you tried that? Try change the settings to start the game when fullscreen is entered. Or, first create a fullscreen, make sure there is only one game view, then push Ctrl+P to play.

Hi luigis. Could you elaborate? Do you have 6 monitors connected and you want a fullscreen game on each? In that case, to avoid the previously mentioned FPS issues, it would be best to use screen duplication to mirror the fullscreen to the rest of your displays. (In your Windows display settings set your 6 monitors to "Duplicate these displays").

30. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

The macOS support update (v1.2.3) has been submitted to the asset store (but is not yet live). There are a few other changes too, including an option to automatically close/unfocus secondary game views to improve FPS.

Also, I had to cease support for Unity 5.0 because it was having crashes with this version. The minimum version of Unity is now 5.5. However, if you own the asset and have an old project which is still pre-5.5, I can send you the old version on request.

Changes:
    - Added support for Mac OS.
    - Updated to support Unity 2018.
    - Added option to show a notification when fullscreen is entered.
    - Added option to close all other game views when entering a fullscreen game view (to improve FPS).
    - Added option to unfocus the docked game view when entering a fullscreen game view (to improve FPS).
    - Support for fullscreening Project, Timeline, and Playmaker windows.
    - Added a Debugging mode which can be enabled through the options.
    - Fix folder structure to allow first-pass compiling and other-language support. (Prevents the extension from adding to your project compile time)
    - Various minor bugfixes.

31. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Update: v1.2.3 is now live.

Now with support for Mac OS, Unity 2018, Project browser, Timeline window, Playmaker window, and all-new options.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  32. francoislaberge

francoislaberge

I'm having the following error on macOS, after just downloading the latest of Editor Window Fullscreen

Assets/Plugins/Editor Window Fullscreen/Scripts/Editor/Internals/EditorWindowExtensions.cs(325,29): error CS0161: `EditorWindowFullscreen.EditorWindowExtensions.MakeFullscreenWindow(this UnityEditor.EditorWindow, bool, UnityEngine.Vector2)': not all code paths return a value​

33. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

We've discovered what this issue was.

It is fixed in v1.2.4 which will be live soon. If you need the fix now, send me a PM or email with your invoice number.

v1.2.4 fix:
    - Fixed a fatal compile-time error which occurred when running the editor with a non Windows/Mac/Linux build target.

34. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

v1.2.4 is now live.

35. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Key images have been updated. Patch 1.2.5 coming soon, fixing an issue which occurs sometimes after restarting Unity with fullscreen windows open, among other things.

36. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

v1.2.5 is now live.

Changes:
    - Retain the focused window when reloading the fullscreen state.
    - Added the ability to clear hotkeys in the settings window, using ESC, BACKSPACE, or DEL. (Thanks to Andreas for the suggestion).
    - Fullscreen hotkeys are now disabled when changing a hotkey in settings. (Prevents a fullscreen action from overriding a hotkey change).
    - Detect and clear hotkey conflicts when setting hotkeys.
    - Fixed an issue where restarting Unity multiple times would not reload the fullscreen state correctly.

37. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Coming soon in 1.2.6:
    - Add the ability to create multiple fullscreen game views on game start.
    - Add ability to retain Game View settings when entering fullscreen, or open Game View with specified settings.
    - Include an option to choose the game camera "Display" which a fullscreen Game View will open with, allowing multiple game "Displays" to be assigned to different screens by default. This will make it easier to preview a game from the perspective of multiple players/cameras.

38. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

I've gotten a little bit carried away with the update, so it's going to be more major than I thought, therefore it'll be numbered 1.3.0.

Lots of improvements coming for Mac, as well as remedies for some issues on Unity 2018 and 2019 on all platforms; not to mention the ability to switch between game view aspect ratios/displays at the touch of a button.

Remember, if you have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to post here or contact me.

39. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Awesome!

40. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Version 1.3.0 is pending review by the asset store team.

Summary patch notes below:
    - Major overhaul of Mac fullscreen. Native Mac fullscreen is now utilized.
    - Fixed major FPS drops/game view lag when entering fullscreen on Mac which happened in some setups.
    - Fullscreen on Mac is now more reliable across systems.
    - Major performance improvements on Windows. (Now enters fullscreen twice as fast).
    - Can now fullscreen multiple windows at once (split views) using F9 hotkey.
    - All windows now keep their settings and state when entering fullscreen.
    - Added option to choose game view settings which will be applied when entering fullscreen.
    - Users can now create unlimited custom fullscreen game views with their own hotkey and predefined settings.
    - Switch between user-defined aspect ratios and game camera "Displays" at the touch of a button.
    - Several other small enhancements and fixes.

41. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

v1.3.0 is now live.

42. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Here's a screenshot of the new Game Window Options (new section in EWF settings).

New possibilities using the new "Custom Game Views":

• Games which utilize multiple game camera "displays" can be tested more conveniently by opening a fullscreen assigned to a particular game display at the touch of a button.
    • Switch between user-defined aspect ratios at the touch of a button.
      • Makes prototype testing for mobile or other devices very convenient.
      • For example, could bind F11 to fullscreen the Game View in your monitor's resolution, and bind Ctrl+F11 to fullscreen in a portrait view like what you'd see on a mobile device.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  43. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

I've noticed an issue in Unity 2019.3 beta on Windows, where the top toolbar does not fully hide when fullscreening with F10 or F11. (However it seems to work fine when using F9 to fullscreen the view and F12 to hide the toolbar).

I'll work to resolve this in the next update.

If anyone notices any other bugs which have showed up in the beta, please let me know.

44. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

v1.3.1 is now live:
    - Made compatible with Unity 2019.3 and Unity 2020.
    - Added new hotkey for "Reset to Default Layout"

45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update!

46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

seems like unity changed something in the latest 2019 versions on Mac OS

When going fullscreen there is a small bar at the bottom that is grey.
    Any idea what this could be?

47. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Hey Lars — not sure, I'll look into it. Does it show up in a screenshot?

48. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes it shows up in a screenshot.
    It seems the bottom
    status bar of unity is rendering on top for some reason

49. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

2019 LTS on Mac Catalina still has the bar at the bottom on my system

50. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Hi Lars. I found that problem and it is fixed in 1.3.2, which is currently pending review. Sorry for the delay.