Search Unity

[UPDATED] Amplify Motion - Quality vector based motion blur

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Fair enough. We'll get this issue sorted out for the next update. Is it OK if we contact you via PM, over the coming days, in order to send you a dev build for testing?

2. cakeslice

cakeslice

Sure.

3. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi everyone,

Our latest Amplify Motion update 1.3.2r2 has finally been accepted to the Asset Store. In this version we fixed potential script disconnection issues when upgrading from version 1.3.1. We've corrected our deployment process to ensure this never happens again.

Please keep in mind that upgrading from 1.3.2 to 1.3.2r2 may cause issues. We recommend everyone switch over to r2 and be careful in the process.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

For the last few months we have been working behind the scenes with some of our partners on Unity 5 compatibility and upgrade improvements. Now that Unity 5 is out of Beta and our latest packages are online, we can finally announce that all our products are compatible with the latest Unity 5 version, Free & Paid – No Limitations. The updates are already available through our download page and the Unity Asset Store, consider registering your invoice numbers for faster updates, we would love to hear from you.

Full Post: Blog

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  5. cakeslice

cakeslice

Any updates? It's the only thing keeping me from purchasing...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Getting close ;) We will contact you as soon as we have any updates.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  7. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Developed by Allen Trivette & Lee Williams and published by Night Dive Studios, Spirits of Xanadu is an atmospheric exploration game set aboard a deserted starship in an alternate 1980s. SX is amplified by our color grading and high quality vector based motion blur solution. You have to play it for yourself in order to fully appreciate it, if your are fan of the genre you wont be disappointed.

Play it today: Steam
    Full Post: Amplify Blog
    Amplify Color - Unity Asset Store
    Amplify Motion - Unity Asset Store

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. cakeslice

cakeslice

Great :)

9. Fishypants

Fishypants

Not gonna lie, I was a bit skeptical about the Amplify Motion asset, and was dreading having to recode all my shaders to accommodate it. I was surprised when reading the read me that I just needed to apply the image effect to a camera. It worked beautifully with all my custom shaders and probably the easiest setup ever. It looks really great! Thanks for such an awesome asset :D

10. Seith

Seith

@Amplify_Ricardo Hello, I just bought this asset and dropped the "Amplified Motion Effect" on my camera. But as soon as I start the game I get hundreds of error messages like those:

Am I doing something wrong? I'm on Unity 5.0.0f4, DX11, Linear and Deferred mode. Thanks...

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome, it's great to know you are happy with it. We look forward to seeing it used in your project.

12. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for using Amplify Motion, we really appreciate it. From the information provided it would seem that problem is caused by invalid bones but we cant know for sure without examining one of the prefabs causing the problem. At the moment Amplify Motion does not support the "Optimize Game Object" Rig option, hence the warning in your screenshot, but it shouldn't cause the errors listed.

Would it be possible to send us a sample to support@amplify.pt?

Thanks!

13. Seith

Seith

Thanks for you reply. I located the rig which seems to be posing problem for the motion blur and deleted it (it's a props on the player character.

But even though I only have the warnings in the console (no errors anymore) the game view is now totally white (as in solid white color). Which obviously makes it difficult to pinpoint the issue...

(I would maybe suggest not to repeat the same warning each frame in order not to spam the console if possible. Once in a Start function could be enough to signal the non-support of the "Optimize Game Object" option)

Edit:
    Mmh it looks like I had the "Debug" checkbox checked and that was causing the screen to go completely white.

So now it seems to work, but of course the effect is slowing the framerate to a crawl because of the thousands of warnings I mentioned being output in the console. The sad thing too is the ubiquitous warning is not much help in finding out the culprit; clicking on it does not select anything in the hierarchy (whether during game mode or after).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  14. Seith

Seith

@Amplify_Ricardo Alright, I think I found out the root of the problem: in Unity 5 cloth objects (like for example flags) now have a mandatory SkinnedMeshRenderer component attached (even though they're not skinned at all). And it seems like the blur plugin looks for joints in those objects, which it will never find since they don't exist (cloth objects are simulated via vertex "painting" in the editor).

I hope this helps you fix the issue... :)

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it. We are still working on Cloth support for Unity 5, hence the high amount of warnings and possible errors; it's near completion.

You could turn off the “Auto Register Objects” option and ignore those objects, although that would work for individual objects it might be a bit tricky for specific cases such as cloth parented to a skinned character and similar examples.

We will make the "Optimize Game Object" warning less intrusive, thank you for pointing it out.

We would be happy to send you an updated build asap, Asset Store approvals may take up to 10 days or more. We will let you know as soon as it’s available.

Thanks!

16. Seith

Seith

Thank you very much!

I also noticed that there is motion blur everywhere it's supposed to, except on the player character itself; quick-moving limbs like legs or arms are not blurred at all. Is that a known limitation of the plugin or just something to adjust in the component's settings?

17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem, we will let you know as soon as it's available.

If you pause Unity do you see the Amplify Motion Object component in the character hierarchy? If you are using the Rig Optimization option on that character it will not work, unfortunately Unity currently hides the vertex information making it impossible to properly calculate the effect.

Let us know, we would be happy to help.

Thanks

18. Seith

Seith

Do you mean the "Optimize Game Object" option in the Rig tab of Unity's model importer? If so that is not checked on my character.

Whoops, nevermind the effect is now also visible on the character. I must have made a wrong manipulation at some point. Thanks!

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yes the Rig tab optimization option.

No problem, we really appreciate your feedback. Let us know if you run into any issues, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!

20. cakeslice

cakeslice

Hi, I have since bought your asset and fixed this issue by using a buffer of FixedUpdate transforms and interpolation so, this isn't an issue anymore.

However, there's another issue I have noticed. When the camera rotates there's some places where motion blur is applied and others where it isn't, even with a lot of quality steps.

Here's a screenshot:

Thanks and great asset btw!

EDIT: Fixed by lowering the max velocity.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome, happy to know you were able to find a workaround. We were going for something very similar but you beat us to it ;)

Let us know if you run into any additional problems, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!

22. Seith

Seith

@Amplify_Ricardo Hello, I just stumbled upon an error with the plugin. Here's a screenshot:

It mentions something about an object's material not having a texture property named "_MainTex". FYI my main texture slots are usually named "Diffuse" (or I guess "_Diffuse" within the shader code itself). Although I don't know if that's got anything to do with it...

Would you know how to fix this issue, please?

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

The issue is caused by a small requirement we have, which involves using the _MainTex property name for the base/diffuse texture. This, of course, shouldn't prevent you from being able to expose "Diffuse" on the UI and still have "_MainTex" in the backend as property name.

We hope this limitation isn't a huge inconvenience, let us know if we can assist you further.

Thanks!

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone, we are hard at work on new product updates and a few surprises but we would like to take this opportunity to officially welcome our new programmer @Amplify_Andre.

During the upcoming weeks you can expect more updates and content from Amplify Creations. As always, we would like to remind you that we are always on the lookout for projects to promote, get in touch via email, we would love to hear from you.

Keep up the great work!

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hello! I wondered if we should still be adding this effect after tone mapping or has it been updated since to be ok to add before?

Also what updates do you plan? as an avid supporter of Amplify I am always interested in things I might need to keep my eye on for future purchase!

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

For now yes, definitely something we intend to improve very soon.

We are actually about to release a new update, among other improvements and fixes it will include initial particle and 2d support. A high performing and high quality DOF+Motion solution is also in the works, among a few undisclosed improvements. ;)

Feel free to send us some requests, we would love to hear form you.

Thanks!

hippocoder likes this.
  27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

The Amplify Motion powered, neon fueled, retro arcade racing game set in the distant future of the year 2000 needs your help. Pitch in today and make this digital paradise a reality!

Megacom Games: Developer Page
    Amplify Creations: Blog Post
    Amplify Motion: Trial

28. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, I wanted to test amplify motion on windows phone, and when I set build target to windows phone, it doesn't work on editor and also crashes app in mobile phone. In screenshot you can see error log and how it looks in editor;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k2mvxuzr8ggcqa/Screenshot 2015-05-22 20.16.56.png?dl=0

Another note, there is a wrong explanation in manual;

A static method, best performing. Scripts are added at edit time:
      • Add a “Image Effects/Amplify Motion ” component to any object that has a valid MeshRenderer, SkinnedMeshRenderer or ClothRenderer.

In addition, you can disable “Auto Register Objs” on tge Amplify Motion component to avoid any startup lag caused by searching for valid objects and adding scripts.

Adding "amplify motion" component doesn't work. It automatically adds a camera to that gameobject.

29. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the issue, we will test it on a Windows device and get back to you as soon as possible. What Unity version and device are you currently using?

We really appreciate your feedback thanks for pointing it out, it should be "Amplify Motion Object".

Thanks!

30. Meceka

Meceka

Unity version: 5.0.2f

I couldn't test on device, it crashes on device. In editor it gives those errors. Device: lumia 520

Just create empty project, switch build target to windows phone and (without building) play it, you will see the errors. Dynamic objects get blurred like that, and draw calls are about tripled I guess.

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for the additional information, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Talk to you soon.

32. Meceka

Meceka

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Take it to eleven with 50% OFF Amplify Motion!

Exclusive for Pro and Level 11 subscribers, only during June: Product Page

35. minhdaubu2

minhdaubu2

For who has AmplifyMotionBaseEffect.OnPreRender() CPU cost problem:

Find the AmplifyMotionBase.cs disable the OnPreRender() function may help.

Result:

36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your input. Commenting that section disables Object Based Blur, it’s the equivalent of disabling the Auto Register Objs option in the Amplify Motion Camera Component, without previously manually adding the Amplify Motion Object Component to your assets of course.

The performance hit could be caused by a couple of reasons and we would be happy to help you debug it. From your screenshots it seems that you have a high amount of objects, are they static, animated, or physics based objects?

Do you create the objects at runtime? Adding the Amplify Motion Object Component to instantiated prefabs instead of relying on the Auto Register Option could really make a difference.

If possible we would be happy to examine the project or a sample. We can exchange Assets and Source Code privately via email, NDA available.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  37. minhdaubu2

minhdaubu2

-Just only the camera has Amplify motion effect.
    -The scene is covered by 256 dynamic mesh (no physic, no animation, no script) for testing Unity 5 transparent render performance :D

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for getting back to us.

Do you see a difference in performance with the Auto Register Objs option disabled? Do keep in mind that Transparent/Alpha-blended materials are not directly supported. Transparent surfaces will be blurred according to the vectors defined by the opaque or coverage/alpha-test surfaces below them, unless the material is using a Cutout shader.

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Join Campo Santo and take it to eleven with 50% OFF Amplify Motion!

Firewatch

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Join Genera Games and take it to eleven with 50% OFF Amplify Motion!

Death Race: The Game!

Amplify Motion, only $12.50
    Full Post: Amplify Blog

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify Motion - Quick Start Tutorial

Amplify Motion, only $12.50 for Pro and Level 11 subscribers, only during June: Product Page

wetcircuit likes this.
  42. Meceka

Meceka

It's almost been a month but you didn't post anything about this issue.

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Our apologies for the delayed reply Meceka, we actually hired a new programmer in order to avoid delays such as this one. We had quite the backlog of tasks but from what I can see in our lists your issue should be tackled during this week.

Are you still using the same Unity & Amplify Motion version? We strongly recommend updating to the latest versions available.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  44. Arkade

Arkade

Hi,
    With Unity 5.0.2, Visual Studio 2015 (CTP5 -- I'll try RC1 later), I'm seeing this warning during compilation:

Warning: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "AmplifyMotionEditor", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of your project. ​

I'm not a C# guru. Is it fair to say (1) this is probably fine if one's targeting x86 but might be a problem otherwise?
    If a problem, (2) is it viable for you to supply a MSIL-targeted version? (hope you can forgive if my question is naiive)

45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for trying out AM, we really apreciate it. It's not a serious warning, all editors are x86 and the warning is only present with the AM Trial version. If you get this warning while using the Full Version you can actually remove the AM DLL, it's mainly there for backwards compatibility (before source code was available).

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  46. Arkade

Arkade

Oh! Ha, well that's funny. Guess I missed the instruction to remove the DLL on upgrade to the full version! (I did use the trial, then bought and maybe foolishly assumed it'd sort it all out!) Perhaps it might be good to have a little script to check no-one else is as silly as me in future! :confused: :D

Thanks for the speedy response!

47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It's optional and it should not be required as an upgrade step since the DLL is empty and has no exports. Were you having any serious issues related to that warning such as unexpected crashes or other errors?

Thanks!

*Edit: The DLL warning will be removed in an upcoming update, this should prevent possible misunderstandings.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  48. Arkade

Arkade

No issues, just prefer a clean + minimal build. (Having unidentified warnings usually precedes wasting hours before realising one should have investigated the odd messages ages ago ;-) )

49. Arkade

Arkade

EDIT: (forum posted wrong version -- sorry that previous end of post wasn't finished!)

On a separate note, a quick how-to / feature request:

How to avoid edge-detect outlines on motion-blurred objects?

I'll explain my thinking...
    In a cartoon, one usually inks the outlines. To achieve in game, we use Edge Detect post-processing effect (and/or a normal-invert & extrude shader).
    In cartoon, fast motion is shown with blur ... but usually *isn't* outline-inked on the blurred edges!

It seems regardless of ordering, I always get edges around Amplify Motion blur. So first question, can you confirm? (or is there a way I haven't seen)

If correct (it can't currently be done), can it be made to happen?
    I guess it depends on the edge-detect effect used.
    For normal-based algorithms, perhaps tweaking the normal buffer on blurred edges? (would it need them pointing towards the camera to cause a consequent edge-detect effect to not mark?)
    However in my game, I got best effects in my aesthetic from "Sobel Depth". Not sure what a good solution here would be. Any ideas? (Perhaps a mask to say where to apply what but it seems a bit heavy.)

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!

50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I understand, the warning will be removed soon. Let us know if you run into any additional issues, we would be happy to help.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015