Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Update Z_AdditionalVertexStreams" just deletes the z_additionVertexStreams

Discussion in 'World Building' started by fwalker, Dec 1, 2019.

1. fwalker

fwalker

I have been trying to upgrade to 2019 and having problems with UVs and Polybrush. So I decided to backtrack and take one step at a time. First upgrade polybrush to 1.0.1 then upgrade Unity to 2019.

We are running Unity 2018.4.3f1, the artist used and old version of Polybrush with AdditionalVertexStreams. I am following the directions to upgrade here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.polybrush@1.0/manual/index.html

Once I get to Step 5 and install the new Polybrush I notice a message under the AdditionalVertexStreams components that says that they are obsolete. That's ok, I have not run the upgrade tool yet. However, I notice also that the Additional Vertex Stream Mesh reference is gone and changed to "Missing (Mesh)".

When I run tools->PolyBrush->Update Z_AdditionalVertexStreams the Z_AdditionalVertexStreams are simply deleted and I see no PolybrushMesh components, which I believe it is what should be showing instead of the Z_AdditionalVertexStreams component. So the polybrush work is gone ! :(

I have tried every combination of the steps in that website.

So what is the trick to get the upgrade working?

It seems like the moment you open unity with no references to any polybrush code (as you deleted polybrush per step 3) the script reference is missing and so it the data and everything is lost. When you install the new polybrush the data is already gone :( ...

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! I see the issue. Seems to be related to prefabs + AVS. Looking for a workaround!

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi again! Okay, it's been awhile since I dealt with the old pre-1.x beta versions, sorry for the wait, I've found a solution though:

1. Close Polybrush
    2. In your scene, select the object
    3. Ensure you have applied all prefab overrides
    4. Save the scene
    5. Open "Tools > Polybrush > Bake Vertex Streams"
    6. Choose "Create new Composite Mesh", do the action (name does not matter)
    7. Again, ensure you have applied all prefab overrides
    8. Save the scene

This will create an in-project asset with the AVS data as a "real" mesh asset (vs stored in the component/scene).

Repeat these steps for each item. If you have many, there is a Batch action in the "Bake Vertex Streams" window, that should help.

Once you have converted/baked all your items, delete the "Polybrush" folder from the project, then install the latest version of Polybrush (1.0.1 as of writing this). You can run "update z..." but it isn't really necessary, if the steps above were followed exactly there will not be any AVS to deal with.

Hope that helps, I've tested it here in several ways and is working well for me. Sorry for the trouble!
    -gw

4. fwalker

fwalker

Thanks Gabriel ! I will give it a try and report back. If it works this will be gold !

5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Great, let me know if you have any trouble with it :)