Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Update your privacy policy - Google removing games from store

Discussion in 'Unity Ads' started by mikaisomaa, Sep 21, 2018.

1. EpsilonSE

EpsilonSE

In case the problem comes up again, I created a different solution that involves more work, but doesn't need a privacy policy, here

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't stop Unity from collecting stuff in a simpler way.

Novack and (deleted member) like this.
  3. EpsilonSE

EpsilonSE

There may be a simpler way, it might even be just the build settings, but this is a way that I know works and covers all possible different problems. It's redundant, but redundancy can be good sometimes.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No I get it, the insane part is that it's not the dafault for Unity to not track anything and to have it track stuff we should actively do things. The default is it tracks all kinds of stuff and trying to stop it is a guessing game.

jmcglone likes this.
  5. dayjur

dayjur

Isnt it just better to stick in a privacy policy then try to fight the system, it wont be long before they insist you have a privacy policy in every App you submit.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

And write what in our privacy policy?

"we tried to turn all data collection off, but we're not sure if we succeeded" ?

Svintaj, lloydv, phoenixrider and 3 others like this.
  7. Syndran

Syndran

What is amusing is that Unity staff are pointing to this thread as a "fix" instead of.. you know.. fixing the issue.

8. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Which makes sense because Unity analytics isn't really needed because of Google analytics. However, this would be okay IF one was using Google ads and not Unity ads. Why do these two entities NOT have a better relationship? Unity is one of the top game engines producing games, but they have zero care to get on the same page and make things easier? Surely Unity management is wiser than this, no?
    So yeah, let's produce everything that's NON-COMPLIANT with Google Play, one of the top publishing sites in existence... Who cares if no one understands that publishes? Right?

Hey, Unity, here's a thought... Sync your analytics... I'm just assuming Google Play doesn't like Unity users getting paid from your ads because they can't sink their greedy f***ing teeth into it! The ads already pay S*** anyway so why not let them cornhole us?

Here's a better idea.. Develop a Unity cross platform environment where we can publish directly through Unity. F*******KKKKK Google Play!

9. SwampyTimmy

SwampyTimmy

I just read the play store guidelines for data collection and asking for consent where it says, the in-app disclosure "Must not begin personal or sensitive data collection prior to obtaining affirmative consent;"

So - at what point does unity start collecting and transmitting player data? As soon as the app is opened? Then, to my understanding, there is no chance to show an in-game dialogue asking for consent prior to the data collection...

10. jayo1_unity

jayo1_unity

Hi I think I accidentally opted out of unity ads on one of my games is there any way to turn it back on again thank you

11. Pille5

Pille5

Last time Google approved the https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy as my privacy policy, but now my app is rejected. What happend? I did not get any further detail why unity's PP bad or incorrect. Could you guys help me?

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

What did they provide as the rejection reason?

13. Pille5

Pille5

Not much. Just a regular template to upload a PP. But i have one. They attached a screenshot to prove they opened the link. So they found the PP, but it was not good for them. I asked for more information, but they have not replied yet.

14. Pille5

Pille5

Thank your for the quick answer. I am wondering if am I the only one who got rejected. Probably not. I don't know how many developers use Unity's PP URL. Here is the mail they sent to me. I do not see that I must have my own URL.

15. segant

segant

Same for me. But after reading their policy. I just found out that they don't even want google play games login etc. They don't want you to keep any data of a person. Such as multiplayer you should need anonymous login etc. After that i just removed that from designed from family program. Now they released it.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Pille5 likes this.
  16. Pille5

Pille5

I removed it from the designed for family program, but they rejected again. Quite odd because they still mention the DFF program in their mail. Same rejection message like before.

17. segant

segant

Are you sure that you removed it from dff? Chose your target age +13 and your ads filter. If you want dff then don't get any data no google play games or no info about user. And don't forget to filter your ads age filter.

18. Pille5

Pille5

I set adfilters, but I did not change the target age to 13+. I was able to unregister from DFF program without it. This is what I have on the Store presence -> App content page in the play store:

Target age
    The target age group for your app is: 6-8, 9-12, 13-15, 16-17, 18 and over

Designed for Families
    Your app is not enrolled in the Designed for Families program
    I've just updated the target age to 13+, let's see what will be their reaction.

19. segant

segant

But after it you should target +13 . If you want otherwise you must not collect any data even google play games. Just read policy.

Pille5 likes this.
  20. Pille5

Pille5

Thank you guys! It worked, my app is finally appected and released (again).

21. alex31016

alex31016

So, for the things I am reading here; is nearly impossible to develop a game for children (Designed for Families program) with Unity?

22. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

alex31016 likes this.
  23. chriszul

chriszul

I got an app rejected with Unity 2020.1.b12 today so that didn't help me. The app doesn't do any collection of personal data itself. I have always held Unity in quite high regard but I feel like there must be something quite sneaky going on here. Was unity collecting personal user data at the engine level, not telling app developers, and not telling google?

24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Not to my knowledge. You can view what data your app is sending by using Charles Proxy https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity

25. chriszul

chriszul

This turned out to be caused by me missing something. Our app was using the device ID for data security. By even accessing this, it seemed we were required to say in our play console that we collect personal data. But now that we do, the app has been accepted for republishing.

Sorry for the suspicion Jeff!

Tx and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  26. EternalBeta

EternalBeta

Hi Jeff

I tried to submit my first app last week and Google has rejected my submission as well. Same as Pille5, I used Unity's privacy policy directly. I have then submitted an appeal and below was quoted from Google's reply :

Step 1: Fix the policy violation with your app

During review, we found that your app does not link to a valid privacy policy on your app’s store listing page. This link must be maintained at all times while the app is available on Google Play, and it must link to a privacy policy that, among other things, accurately describes your app's data collection and use.

For example, the privacy policy you have provided does not reference the name of the developer or your app.

I would like to confirm if there are any updates on Google's policy regarding Privacy Policy and are they no longer accepting a direct link to Unity's Policy?

27. Tx

Tx

According to GDPR in the privacy policy I think you should clearly show your DPO and provide links to your support email. I think a generic Unity privacy policy is not going to be accepted anymore.

28. beancurd1982

beancurd1982

I got rejected for a similar reason here. Below are the attachments in the email.

Not sure how to fix this issue, can somebody help?

upload_2020-7-31_17-9-22.png
    upload_2020-7-31_17-10-11.png

unityunity