Search Unity

Update weirdness. Am I missing something silly?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by AntFitch, Jun 5, 2013.

1. AntFitch

AntFitch

If I disable then enable a script, Update() doesn't reset. Update() continues from where it left off before the script was disabled.

For example:

Code (csharp):
    2.     void OnEnable()
    3.     {
    4.             test = new int[4] {10,20,30,40};
    5.     }
    7.     void Update()
    8.     {
    9.         for (int i=0; i<test.Length; i++)
    10.         {
    11.             // after disable  re-enable script, OnEnable is called, but when Update is called right afterwards,
    12.             // Update jumps to the line below  skips the "for" line. So, if "i" was 2 when script was disabled, it is still 2 when script is enabled and hits this line.
    13.             ExecuteAction(test[i]);
    14.         }
    15.     }
    Is there a way to ensure Update resets when a script is disabled? I'm using the enable property to reset the script. Maybe there is a better way to make it stop and refresh?

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

how is that code supposed to 'reset' exactly?

why would you even want Update to reset... what youre saying is illogical.

3. cdevl

cdevl

Unless you are using coroutines somewhere (that you are not showing here) the execution cannot just stop in the middle and pickup where it left off. Update() is executed exactly once per frame. You are missing something.

4. AntFitch

AntFitch

@JamesLeeNZ
    Because you don't understand my question does not make it illogical.

You're right cdevl, I was missing something. After the script was disabled and then enabled, the code inside ExecuteAction() continued where it left off. Thus, because some values no longer existed, the debugger jumped to the ExecuteAction line in Update().

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Its not that I don't understand your question. Its more that you don't understand what youre doing.