Search Unity

Update to Helicopter Game: Remora prototype

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by fivearchers, May 13, 2009.

1. fivearchers

fivearchers

Remora.

updated: missiles behaviour, radar tower models, first start at vehicles (very spazzy, prone to flipping and don't point correctly)

updated: missiles, radar domes, other stuff.

It's on track to be my first Unity game, but it's slow going. Nevertheless, it's very exciting to even be able to make something like this.

Now I need to push ahead with assets, levels...fun stuff like that at the breakneck speed of one hour a day (if I'm lucky)![/url]

Not much to do yet, you can fly with the mouse, space to fire, and mousewheel to change the throttle. You can shoot the turrets and the bunkers (my 5 year old calls them "tents"..but hey they're just rough-ins). If you get shot down you'll have to reload the webpage.

I'd be interested in hearing what performance is like on various machines at this early stage (works okay on my laptop with very minimal 3d specs). Also open to any other advice. One thing right away, is that he mouse controls may not be the best in a browser...and I need to add strafe controls :)

2. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Thats a good start.

I'd say your next step is to add a Restart button so it is easier for us to "test" it.

I am curious why you are using the spacebar to fire, but not the mouse button. Seems like the right kind of game to put all the controls in one device.

And as to the rate of your progress: I understand! I'm in the same boat. Afterwork its family time, and then once you finally put everyone to bed, you consider doing the same for yourself.

Consistent effort is key.

3. fivearchers

fivearchers

I originally was going to use the mousebutton - and probably I will end up using it as things progress. The problem is trying to use the mousebutton to play the game while I'm still in the editor. Usually this leads to some disaster or other :)

Yeah right now it's kids to bed, then I get to hack away at it for an hour or so before my watching shows with my wife :)

4. G3David

G3David

But i suggest, A) using the mousebutton /aggree, and B) using the following script to lock the cursor so you wont have that problem, like i'm doing for my adaptation of the old fps tut here
    which i'll explain controls of in more detail later on(working on switches, etc now, for vehicles such)...
    but a simple lock cursor script will help you, nice touch btw with the bouncing projectiles:
    Code (csharp):
    1. function OnMouseDown ()
    2. {
    3.     // Lock the cursor
    4.     Screen.lockCursor = true;
    5. }
    full script attached(more to it)

Attached Files:

5. fivearchers

fivearchers

Thanks I'll give that a shot!

6. seventhsynergy

seventhsynergy

Hi Guys.

Just for fun I'm developing a helicopter game.

http://www.synergie7.com/heli/

I'm trying to get some semi-realistic flight controls, but just using the keys, but its been hard !

I've also wanted some info on ALTitude (height above sea level), speed,ROC rate of climb and ELEvation (height off the ground) etc, as flying without these is a bit hard.

I've also got display shake problems even though I'm applying the forces to the rigidbody on FixedUpdate, but this could be a problem with the SmoothFollow camera script.

It does fire missiles, but they don't do anything and they seem to be firing off in the wrong direction at the moment.. More bug fixing required !

7. G3David

G3David

With the helicopter blades, they look good, but heres a suggestion and a lesson from a game called just cause, once the blades go a certain speed, replace them with blurred blades to make it look like its actually going fast enought to lift the craft, works in just cause and should work here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxy0aaeq-Y (mb there are better res vids, but you can get their general idea here, it works)

8. fivearchers

fivearchers

9. fivearchers

fivearchers

Slow going still, but some progress. Missiles, radar towers somewhat modeled (with a pre-defined destruction animation). Also little hovercrafts - not very smart and don't move well yet, but they have missile turrets on 'em. I'm going to have a multi-level AI I think:

For example a vehicle will have an objective, with a target or target type, or patrol orders. The master script will process this as well as whether it should go off mission (ie: almost dead and needs a repair dock, or an enemy is very close) and send commands to movement and firing sub-scripts.

Around 7MB still.