Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Update to 1.6.1 broke license / 2.0 didn't fix it

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by jashan, Apr 23, 2019.

1. jashan

jashan

After not working on my Unity projects for a few days, I opened Unity Hub which I'm fairly certain was at 1.6.0 or an earlier version. It didn't complain about licensing (but I also didn't open Unity). But it did tell me that an update was available (1.6.1), so I restarted Unity Hub to get the update.

After restarting, Unity Hub directly took me into the activation steps, apparently because Unity Hub forgot I still had an active activation just a few minutes ago.

Ironically, I had just recently received a message that the licensing issue was fixed with current Unity Hub versions (I had an issue similar to this earlier this year). I also got a message that this was fixed with Unity Hub beta, so I installed that ... but didn't make a difference, there's just another UI for this now.

I could reactivate by entering my main serial, so it's not a super-big deal ... but honestly, licensing issues that make lives of paying customers less convenient are never acceptable. I also do PS4 development, and I most likely had this machine previously activated with that PS4 development serial. Now I have to look that one up, deactivate the current activation, reactivate with the PS4 development serial ... all just because the licensing system is not reliable.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try the following:
    • quit the Hub from the system tray,
    • go to "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming" and delete the UnityHub, Unity Hub and Unity Hub beta folder that are there,
    • restart the Hub, whatever version, log in, and reactivate your licence.
    The new Unity Hub folders you deleted will be recreated and the UnityHub content will be used by both 1.6.1 and 2 beta.

jashan likes this.