Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Update textmesh pro to latest in 2019.4?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by lejean, Aug 4, 2020.

1. lejean

lejean

Is it safe to update textmesh pro in unity 2019.4 LTS to the latest version available in the package manager?

I don't want to update and have all my text/references/whatnot broken.

The verified version is already dating back from 13 may 2019 and there's been alot of changes in the mean while according to the changelog.

I also have a error being logged from TMP_Dropdown when enabling visualize on buttons.
    I can fix the issue in the tmpro code but it always resets back hence why I want to upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

As with all updates / upgrades, you should always create a backup of the project first. This way, should anything go wrong or unforeseen issue arise, you can always revert to the backup until some solution is found.

Having said that, the latest version of the TMP package is version 2.1.1 and will be the verified release for 2019.4.

3. Swyfft

Swyfft

hey guys .. on the subject of TMP and 2019.4 LTS.. have some issues with errors on new projects creation..

for example ..
    did clean install of Unith 2019.4.8f1 and 2019.4.9f1
    create new 3d project

get all kinds of TMP errors about guuids and such..

upload_2020-8-30_14-18-2.png

go to package manager ..
    remove TextMeshPro 2.1.1
    close project
    open project
    no more errors..

install TMP 2.0.1 ..
    clean .. no errors
    update to TMP 2.1.0 ..
    one warning about something not being used..
    update to TMP 2.1.1 ..
    hundreds of errors.

consistent repeatable.

so now every new project I create I have to remove TMP 2.1.1 and install 2.1.0 before I can do anything...

any ideas about this?

thanks in advance ..

.. Lee

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I just created a new 3D project using Unity 2019.4.9f1 which default to version 2.1.1 of the TMP package and I get no errors.

It is possible the package for version 2.1.1 got corrupted in the download process. I would recommend deleting your package cache to see if the error persists. The following link provides information about the location of the package cache.

Let me know if you get the same result after deleting the package cache.

P.S. The only errors displayed in your image are related to GUID. Can you post an image of the other errors?

5. xucian

xucian

Did you start with TMPro from the asset store or the UPM version?

6. Swyfft

Swyfft

hey guys ..

sorry for not replying here earlier ..

yesterday I got tired of the "new project - uninstall tmp 2.1.1 - install tmp 2.1.0" routine and did some troubleshooting ..

found and removed the offending corrupt source file from my system . (took me a minute or three to find..)
    .. and things are all good now ..

Thanks for the suggestions and assistance!!! much appreciated.

xucian likes this.
  7. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I've had this red error in 2 separate projects when updating TMP from the default 2.1.1 to 2.1.4 :

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@2.1.4\Scripts\Runtime\TMP_DefaultControls.cs(188,22): error CS1061: 'RectMask2D' does not contain a definition for 'padding' and no accessible extension method 'padding' accepting a first argument of type 'RectMask2D' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Both projects were new with nothing in them yet except the ProBuilder package. Using 2019.4.9f1. In both cases I ended up deleting the project and re-doing it, and staying with the default package already installed (2.1.1).
    Cheers.

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The padding property was added to the RectMask2D in Unity 2019.4.12f1.

In order to get around this issue, you can simply comment out the offending line in the package. The change will have to be made in the Global Package Cache.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to the latest 2019.4. That is unless there is a technical reason you are sticking with an older version of 2019.4.

9. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Thanks for the quick reply :)