Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Update remote catalog

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ST_ProductVIz, Oct 30, 2019.

1. ST_ProductVIz

ST_ProductVIz

Hi,

We are currently evaluating the new addressables system to see if it would be suitable for the following scenario:
    1. Mobile apps are downloading assets from a remote location
    2. Users should be able to search for all available assets on the server (> 100 assets) by keys
    3. Adding new assets should not require to re-build the whole remote content
    The search functionality could possibly be implemented using
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Addressables.LoadContentCatalogAsync(pathToCatalog)
    , but I guess there is no way to update the remote catalog without a rebuild?

BR,
    Lukas

2. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

1. yes.
    2. remote catalog are fetched to local during addressables system initialization. All key search will be performance locally.
    3. adding new assets (to generate new remote catalog), requires rebuild whole remote content. Partial build is not supported so far. But you can write custom script (e.g. leverage with a dedicated build project) to build additional catalog and load them manually. Of course, this brings another layer of complexity on the top of addressables.

3. ST_ProductVIz

ST_ProductVIz

I understand, thanks for clarification!

Do you also know how we can force the system to split the content into several bundles? Is there something like an upper limit for the bundle size?

4. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

I'm not sure if the 4GB bundle limitation still applied for asset bundle now.

Try pack mode for different packing strategy.