Search Unity

" Update " pick up things that fall apart break

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by seefeldt81, Jan 30, 2008.

1. seefeldt81

seefeldt81

2. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Cool. The black and white gives this world a cool feel. Would be fun to make a noirish game.

3. seon

seon

This is not working on my PC, in firefox 2.

It says click to start, but I am clicking and clicking and nothing is happening.

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Doesn't work here either with Safari and my MBP.

5. Bjerre

Bjerre

Very cool. I love that b&w theme.
    And it runs fine on my MBP in both safari and firefox.

6. seon

seon

Yep, working fine on my MBP with safari. Looks cool... bit hard to see when not shooting.

7. prowland

prowland

Doesnt work for me either using IE. It's as if the unity file is missing.

8. relish3d

relish3d

love it! the black and white adds greatly. Are you using object replacements to break things apart?
    works really well!

9. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

It works fine on my MacPro here at work.

How do you construct your breakable objects? Do you build parts, use a mesh-join on startup and then break it up on hit? Or do you use joints? Or...?

Keep up the cool work!

Frank

10. seefeldt81

seefeldt81

I constructed the different stages in a modeling program then replace the objects on impact.
    I don't know why it wont run for some people I have the old version of unity?

thank you for the comments
    any suggestions would be more than helpful and greatly appreciated.

11. nickavv

nickavv

It was really cool. :) I loved how you could even break the glass windows. One thing that happened, was that I shot a crate, but instead of breaking into four sides, a top and a bottom, I got a top, a bottom, a back side, a left and right side, and about 70 front sides. :p It freaked me out.

12. seefeldt81

seefeldt81

I've seen that too I think it has to do with the rugged impact and replace method I'm using.

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I figured out why it wasn't working on my MBP. This webplayer was built with Unity 1.6x and my MBP only has the Unity 2.x player installed. Weird that I wasn't prompted to install the 1.6x player though...

14. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I really like this new DMM (Digital Molecular Matter) System, they use in StarWars: Force unleashed and the newest Alone in the Dark...

In this technique each object is marked with a material-tag... once hit, the tag referes to a database wich tells how the object will break or deform or if it will burn and so on... the result looks very realistic. You can check on http://www.gametrailers.com and search for the games named above. Its worth a look.

I would really love to see something like that, done with unity...

15. Obscurity

Obscurity

My plan is to have something like that on a very very small scale for the project I'm working on. I'm working on setting it up with tags so that certain powers only work on specific objects. Only objects with a wood designation can catch fire, etc. Nothing on the scale of Force Unleashed though. But, hey, one can dream.

16. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Why not make it a community project? I quess lots of users would love to have that feature and i bet you´ll get lots of help.

17. Obscurity

Obscurity

I'm sure they would but I'm afraid that if I do that then I'll end up not learning what I need to about using Unity, since other people might take up the slack.

I am definitely going to share my work though, as I go along. It's the least one can do for such a helpful and cool community.

18. seefeldt81

seefeldt81

19. seefeldt81

seefeldt81

also dose anyone know of a way to allow the player to pick up and move objects? lets say you click and hold on a couch cushion so you can then set it down somewhere different by releasing the mouse button?

20. drJones

drJones

21. Obscurity

Obscurity

I'm using a variation of this http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1378 , but with a ConfigurableJoint and some other script changes. There is probably an easier way without using a joint, though, depending on what effect you are going for. Maybe a raycast for rigid bodies and then just holding the hit rigid body a set distance from the camera until the mouse press is let up.

EDIT: beaten by drJones

22. seefeldt81

seefeldt81

thank you that help allot

23. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I escaped the world :)

Good start. Are you the person that made the other black and white webplayer with the guy playing guitar in the house?

Also, I think your approach to breakable crates could be improved quite a bit without going and doing something crazy like DMM.

What I would do is make a normal and breaking create prefab, then have the normal one swap to a broken one if there is a hard enough collision to break the broken one. Then you add the same collision force to the appropriate piece of the new broken one and let the physics engine do the rest.

The trick is that the broken one is a bunch of separate bodies with breakable joints connecting them. When you do this you probably want to be really careful with your joint setup to make sure that it works the way you want every time.

If you ever run into performance issues with this method you can optimize it by doing things like forcing sleep on things and even reducing each broken crate to one draw call when its not moving through mesh combining magic.

24. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

This game plays and kinda feels like Penumbra, which is part FPS and part adventure game, where you control everything physical in the game world by interaction... Just an AWESOME game concept imo...... go here to learn more: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/penumbra/

Now with that said... I was thinking to myself a few weeks back, about making a game sorta like this in Unity and how cool it would be... Now I see that in a way you are doing just that :) best of luck on the project. Keep us posted.

25. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign