Search Unity

Official Update on the Visual Studio Code package

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Frederic_Peltier, Jun 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian

Adrian

Good to know there's official support for developing and debugging Unity with VSCode!

Will be interesting to see how this compares to @TheSleepyKoala's fork of the old package.

But still, the communication for this was the worst. Deprecating / removing the old integration long before this was announced / released. Keeping the outdated documentation and confusing users who create a new 2023.1+ project and want to use VSCode. Why couldn't this have been announced earlier or the old integration deprecated only once the new integration was released? Still appears to me that Unity was just strong-arming Microsoft to take over development of the integration, so they don't have to pay for it.

2. detzt

detzt

I just came back from a very long vacation. While updating everything to the newest Unity version yesterday, I was shocked to learn about the dropped support for VSCode and prepared myself to spend today with setting up the workaround solution. So happy that the official support came back literally minutes before I started with that task and everything works perfectly out of the box. Thank you so much :)

3. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

4. simon-elliston-ball

simon-elliston-ball

Unity Technologies

A quick update on the future for the VS Code extension. We're working with Microsoft on the Visual Studio Code extension newly published (in preview). There's more detail on this forum post.

We believe this will be a more sustainable way to get (and maintain!) the best developer experience for Unity in VS Code, since it's based on the same base as the regular Visual Stuido. This does however mean you need a VS license to get the advanced features.

pixeltrain3d, ivank, BPS_86 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.