Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Update NavMesh at Runtime

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by emrys90, Jun 8, 2017.

1. emrys90

emrys90

How do you update a nav mesh at runtime with the new API? I haven't been able to find any decent examples or documentation on it. For example, if I spawn in a new object after baking the nav mesh, how do I update the nav mesh in the area around that object so that it can be walked on/avoided?

2. crimi

crimi

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents/tree/master/Assets/Examples/Scripts

Take those files.

LocalNavMeshBuilder.cs && NavMeshSourceTag.cs

LocalNavMeshBuilder = you setup the area
    NavMeshSourceTag = add to the floor/plane you want to bake the navmesh

It does seem to work in some cases.

As he stated in the video it does make sense to setup the LocalNavMeshBuilder Area first and at runtime add NavMeshSourceTag to your dynamic generated content.

if you get the error message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh
    you can try to tweek the values in your navagent or make sure that you NPC/Player is really on the navmesh. i also experienced that there is a delay if you generate navmeshes at runtime so you could get those messages aswell.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. emrys90

emrys90

That seems to be how to bake a nav mesh at runtime. What I'm trying to do is update a small part of it due to an object being instantiated/destroyed, without having to rebake the entire nav mesh.

4. MrKilljoy

MrKilljoy

This is what I'm trying to do as well, since my project needs to regenerate parts of a destroyable terrain.
    Did you find a solution to your issue?

5. emrys90

emrys90

@crimi Sorry, I guess I didn't pay attention to what you replied with. That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

6. emrys90

emrys90

My only other question then is how to do NavMeshSourceTag for colliders instead of only meshes. I looked at the API for NavMeshBuildSource and it seems to only allow you to either manually specify the dimensions of a primitive collider, or to use a mesh. Is there no way for it to instead just use a primitive collider?

7. crimi

crimi

I did also figure out that you can change the script execution order.
    If you put those scripts LocalNavMeshBuilder.cs && NavMeshSourceTag.cs above the default time in the editor, they will execute first and you dont will have this error "Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh".

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-ScriptExecution.html

8. GameDveloper09

GameDveloper09

i got this error when i try to use these scripts in scene
    "SetDestination" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.

MishaMa likes this.
  9. Tsilliev

Tsilliev

10. bennett_apps

bennett_apps

The navmesh is used for "static" or unchanging objects. No movement, not being destroyed or added at runtime. If you want an object that changes, add a "navmesh obstacle" component to it, which when used properly allows the object to alter the mesh as it changes/moves/is disabled.

11. Stardog

Stardog

I haven't had any issues updating the navmesh with the new NavMeshSurface component:

Full rebuild from scratch (slow):
    Code (csharp):
    1. NavMeshSurface nm = GameObject.FindObjectOfType<NavMeshSurface>();
    2. nm.BuildNavMesh();
    Update only changed tiles (fast):
    Code (csharp):
    1. NavMeshSurface nm = GameObject.FindObjectOfType<NavMeshSurface>();
    2. nm.UpdateNavMesh(nm.navMeshData);

Ony likes this.
  12. Zante

Zante

Is there a reliable way to determine when the BuildNavMesh method has concluded?

13. p02meysamghorbani

p02meysamghorbani