Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Update my license?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zergmouse, Mar 8, 2012.

1. zergmouse

zergmouse

So I got the iOS and Android license. The e-mail I recieved said "Launch Unity under your existing license and go to Unity > Enter Serial Number... and reactivate Unity with your existing serial number in order to use upgraded features." The main problem there is that "Unity>Enter Serial Nember" is not a real menu in Unity. There is no menu called "Unity"

Help>Enter Serial Number>reactivate is however a menu option. I did that and it broke Unity. Since I hit my max installs it would not let me "reactivate" and forced me to go through a manual e-mail process just to update the license and get iOS and Android working. Meanwhile Unity would not even launch because it had no license.

So, for future reference, is there a way to update my license without reactivating?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes there is.

$unitymenu.png

--Eric

3. EdFedermeyer

EdFedermeyer

He might be talking about the PC version of the editor.
    I don't see a "Unity" menu on the PC version.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Could be, but if you're getting the iOS publishing license it would make sense to assume the use of OS X since you can't use it on the Windows version.

--Eric

5. EdFedermeyer

EdFedermeyer

I bet a lot of people are getting both the iOS and Android license since they are free "just in case one day" they want to build for iOS, but for now they are still on PC.

zergcow, let us know if/how you get your updated license working...

6. zergmouse

zergmouse

So to update. I am running the PC version. I got a reply saying you do in fact have to "Reactivate" in order to get the updates to your licenses and if you have reached you max installs then you do in fact have to go through the manual e-mail process to get the updates. I feel sorry for the people who have had this software for a while and have a small group of people (like 20-30) who have to go through this process because they all reached their max.

Unity should REALLY have an online portal where we can manage what computers we have the licenses installed on. I see the portal that allows us to upgrade licenses, just extend that one step further and allow us to manage what computers those are installed on and/or the ability to remove computers from the installed list. But then again I know people have been asking for that since I got my first license.

Also, I was under the assumption that the iOS version lets me publish iPad and iPhone games? Do I need OS X for that? Can I not do that with a PC?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yeah, they said they were working on something like that a long time ago. Hope it wasn't dropped.

Yes, yes, and no. XCode doesn't run on Windows.

--Eric

8. zergmouse

zergmouse

ok so I could make a game for an ipad on a pc but I cannot actually compile it to run on the ipad unless i had an OS X (like a mac mini)