Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

*UPDATE* Inventory Master - Inventory System written with the new UI System 4.6 *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sander1991, Dec 12, 2014.

1. recon0303

recon0303

When you did this, you could of still use NGUI, but did it with out using the DATABASE and made your own custom editor scripts. I made my own database and set it up in MYSQL for multiplayer. Works great with UFPS, I did not use this asset as I'm a UI programmer I made my own. But this asset is not far off from what I did, so it should be possible fairly easily to add UFPS.. UFPS is not hard to add a new inventory since it was not designed for anything fancy.

2. julianr

julianr

@recon0303 - It was time more than anything to finish my Inventory on NGUI as I'm not a UI programmer and it would have taken me a while to figure it all out. I've personally combined UFPS with Inventory Master in the past week. It works well, but has a few issues when swapping out weapons. I'm sure I'll get that fixed, or wait for Sander to finish his version but needed a quick fully functional prototype.

3. Sander1991

Sander1991

@jokerfool
    If you want to move while you opened the inventory you can change it for you! It is just an example. So don't worry this wouldn't be a big change.
    Yes you can move the inventory windows how you like. Just check out the demo here: http://spklup1991.alfahosting.org/Webversion/Webversion.html

The hotbar is locked! It is not possible to move it around. I hope I could have helped ;).

4. MrG

MrG

Hi Sander1991!

I was looking at your asset and read through this forum thread, and a couple things you may want to address:

1) Links to documentation and script API are broken in the Asset Store as well as in post #1 of this thread.

2) While it's good you can move the windows around, being able to close / move the hotbar would be a good add.

3) Since I couldn't get to the docs, resizing by slot size increment would be a good add, along with the inventory and storage being scrollable (i played the demo). Should be able to define min/max width / height by number of slots for that, or perhaps absolute width / height, and max (or fixed) number of slots.

4) Hopefully the keys and mouse events can be changed easily (I prefer right-click for context menu, and double-click to use something) so I can change that on my own to fit my project.

5) Hopefully the skinning and slot dimensions are changeable, so if I want to use tiny icons, I can set the slots to an appropriate size, which would fit with #2 above in terms of window resizing by slot size. Along this same line, slot skinning is our problem, not yours! We have our own color icons, and we can make greyscale versions for slot designation if we want them.

6) Hopefully every possible action in the system exposes an event that can return a Cancel = true, which is how we can tie in our own rules system based on data arguments passed to the event handler. Just keep in mind those events may be raised on an authoritative server based on game client inputs, so you may not be able to pass more than which slot and which window got the input without knowing (or trusting) the client's version of the slot contents.

Don't let people talk you into making their game for them under the guise of "needed features" - a rules system is their problem, as is security and storage. These are complex systems that just cannot be made generically...you'll end up supporting every variation of implementation, and that's well outside the scope of the asset and far beyond what anyone is paying for it alone. If the data can be serialized / deserialized so it can be loaded & saved at runtime, perhaps by methods you provide, that's the line in the sand. What they do with it is up to them. If they want to access inventory of a another character (NPC or shop or follower) all they have to do is attach the inventory system to any such game object and write their own rules and event code for how to trigger it based on how their own is triggered.

It looks like you've done a fine job here, keep up the good work!

P.S. Congrats on passing your exams (yeah I really read the whole thread)!

Best regards,

MrG

5. recon0303

recon0303

got ya, hey what ever works for you. :)

@MrG agreed I see people try that all the time, they want people to build there game but Sander can always up the price for added features I would.

6. Sander1991

Sander1991

@MrG
    Thanks for this huge post ;). Let me go through you points one by one:

1) Actually fixed the bug. Did not recognize that I deleted the files. Thanks!
    2) Will add it.
    3) Gonna look into it.
    4) Actually you have to go into the code. I will change it for the next big update, so that you can do it through a window or over the inspector.
    5) So actually you can change the size of the icons and slots. The rest is yours than ;).

I won't create something special. I only want to create a universal inventory system for everyone. Everything "special" needs to be done by yourself ;).

Jep it is! :D

I had to laugh at this point so hard :D

Thanks for you feedback, I really appreciate it!

@recon0303
    I will up the price with the next big update.

7. Sander1991

Sander1991

@jokerfool

At the moment it is possible to ask:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(inventoryGameObject.activeSelf)
    2. {
    3. //don't move if it is active
    4. }
    But this will be changed in the next update! So it will be handeled differently later. It will look like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(Inventory.showInventory)
    2. {
    3. //so this will be a static bool where you can ask for it later. But how I said it will be in the next update.
    4. }

brunoscholz likes this.
  8. Sander1991

Sander1991

@jokerfool

I guess you mean if the asset is working with Unity 5 right? I have tested it once and it is working for me so far. I could not test it deeply but the demo worked for me without any problems!

9. schipman

schipman

Hey Sander,
    Here is the bug I mentioned earlier with stacking - for some reason even though every one of these items has a maxstacksize of 100, when the items are added to the inventory they occasionally fail stacking. I am using the code you gave me previously.

http://imgur.com/i9tVj6k

10. Sander1991

Sander1991

@schipman

How I said in privatly to you, I will try to fix it this evening or tomorrow. I am really sorry that I overread your thread.

11. schipman

schipman

Awesome thank you, there is no rush- the items are being added to the inventory, it just doesn't look pretty yet ;)

Another question- what is the safest way to remove items from the inventory?
    I was doing public void deleteItem(Item item) but was running into index errors...

12. Sander1991

Sander1991

@schipman

Can you send me the codesnippet where you are doing it? It is weird that you are getting an index error.

13. Sander1991

Sander1991

@schipman

So I guess I fixed your bug. This is only an example. You said you are using NPC's which storing items in chest. So I prevent that you are using the StorageInventory scripts for the chest. I tested it and this is working for me. The first two items which are created are the same items which are stackable and the last one is other one. Here is the code:

Code (CSharp):
    2.     StorageInventory inv;
    4.     // Use this for initialization
    5.     void Start()
    6.     {
    7.         ItemDataBaseList itemDatabase = Resources.Load<ItemDataBaseList>("ItemDatabase");
    8.         inv = GetComponent<StorageInventory>();
    9.         Item item = itemDatabase.getItemByID(10);
    10.         Item item1 = itemDatabase.getItemByID(10);
    11.         Item item2 = itemDatabase.getItemByID(9);
    12.         addItem(item);
    13.         addItem(item1);
    14.         addItem(item2);
    15.     }
    17.     void addItem(Item item)
    18.     {
    19.         bool sameItem = false;
    20.         for (int i = 0; i < inv.storageItems.Count; i++)
    21.         {
    22.             if (item.itemID == inv.storageItems[i].itemID)
    23.             {
    24.                 int sum = 0;
    25.                 sum = item.itemValue + inv.storageItems[i].itemValue;              
    26.                 if (sum <= item.maxStack)
    27.                 {
    28.                     inv.storageItems[i].itemValue = sum;
    29.                     sameItem = true;
    30.                     break;
    31.                 }
    32.                 else
    33.                 {
    34.                     inv.addItemToStorage(item.itemID, item.itemValue);
    35.                     sameItem = true;
    36.                     break;
    37.                 }
    38.             }  
    39.         }
    41.         if (inv.storageItems.Count == 0 || !sameItem)
    42.             inv.addItemToStorage(item.itemID, item.itemValue);
    45.     }
    This was just a code which I have added to the chest GameObject where the script StorageInventory was on aswell.

julianr likes this.
  14. schipman

schipman

Yeah actually after a few hours I figured out the same issue. I wrote some additional code in the storage inventory addItemtoStorage code to test if the item exists already and stack it appropriately. Thanks very much for looking into this - I'll compare my code to yours and adjust :)

15. julianr

julianr

Hey Sander. Slight bug for you... if you use your demo as an example... drag the 30 slot backpack to your character inventory, then drag it back to the main inventory, but don't place the backpack exactly in the boxes, just over the edge.. it will drop the icon there and reduce the size, but does not slot in. Then pressing I to close inventory, you will still see the backpack icon floating. I'll send you a video link to show you what I mean.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  16. MrG

MrG

@Sander1991 @jokerfool RE: Moving background...

I don't think the asset needs to do anything here, because what you're seeing is a MouseLook script that is still running, unrelated to the asset. We can consume the same KeyDown that the asset is consuming to open the inventory and do whatever we want there, including disabling whatever camera script we have going.

Throwing Shown and Hidden events would be good for us to handle, as we need to handle many other events from this system.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. MrG

MrG

@Sander1991 I will look at the docs and circle back. Thanks!

18. MrG

MrG

Documentation Notes:

Page 2
    - Inhaltsverzeichnis -> Table of Contents

Multiple occurrences:
    - receipt -> recipe

Inventory (Script)
    - Under Padding: Suggest "Spacing" instead of "Between"
    - Under Stacking / Splitting: Suggest rename 'numberposition' to 'StackNumber' (camelCase or PascalCase) so it looks nicer in the inspector, and so it's more clear, along with renaming X and Y to PositionX and PositionY (for consistency with other fields like this), what this is.

Inventory Design (Script)
    - Suggest rename X icon to CloseButton (camelCase or PascalCase) so it's more generic and more clear what this is.

Craft System (Script)
    - Suggest rename Finalslot, Leftarrow, and Rightarrow as FinalSlot, LeftArrow, RightArrow (all camelCase or PascalCase) so they look nicer in the inspector.

Inventory Master (Video)
    - I hope you didn't really use "Inventory's" with an apostrophe. That might get ugly in code, and it should be "Inventories" anyway. (Inventory's is singular possessive, not plural)

Events: Now that I've seen the Script API, I would offer the following:
    - Expand your events to use CancelEventArgs and after raising the event check that Cancel is false before committing whatever the action is. If Cancel = true, your system should act as if nothing happened, leaving everything unchanged, returning whatever was being dragged to wherever it came from.
    - As for the rest of the arguments, you should only pass the inventory owner, slot number, and something that identifies the inventory container or type (Player / OtherActor (NPC, follower, pet, etc.) / Storage / Hotbar / Crafting / Whatever). Leave it up to us to evaluate the action and slot contents from this data, instead of trying to tell us what the item is. By passing item details, you're trusting the client too much.
    - Some example events that should all be cancellable (not exhaustive because I haven't used the asset yet)
    - Equip (not equipt), Unequip, ItemDrag (source slot data), ItemDrop (target slot data), WorldDrop (placing an item in the world, need coordinates so we can raycast where they dropped it or what they dropped it on, like a table), Use (more generic than Consume), Context (request for context or right-click menu), CraftFinish (request to complete a recipe), CraftNext/CraftPrevious (crafting navigation), Store/Retrieve (request to put/take items into/from storage, Give/Take (request to transfer item between inventory containers, typically between player and someone else (NPC, follower, pet, etc.)).

I realize some of the above would be breaking changes. So be it. Better to get them over with early in your asset's lifetime and avoid larger pain later when more people have your asset, and when more of these kinds of issues have crept in.

Now that I've seen the docs, I'm impressed how thorough you've been so far...very nicely done!

MrG

19. Sander1991

Sander1991

@MrG

Will be changed in the next update. In my current version is it already implemented. Here is just a small example how it will work later:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnEnable()
    2.     {
    3.         Inventory.InventoryOpen += openInventory;
    4.         Inventory.AllInventoriesClosed += AllInventoriesClosed;
    5.     }
    7. public void OnDisable()
    8.     {
    9.         Inventory.InventoryOpen -= openInventory;
    10.         Inventory.AllInventoriesClosed -= AllInventoriesClosed;
    11.     }
    13. public void openInventory()
    14.     {
    15.         FP_Input.enabled = false;
    16.         Screen.lockCursor = false;
    17.         Screen.showCursor = true;
    18.     }
    20.     public void AllInventoriesClosed()
    21.     {
    22.         FP_Input.enabled = true;
    23.         Screen.lockCursor = true;
    24.         Screen.showCursor = false;
    25.     }
    So it also will be handled with an event. It will be way much easier for you than. The OpenInventory() event will be called everytime when an inventory get opened. AllInventoriesClosed() will be called ONLY when ALL inventories(Storage, CraftSystem, CharacterSystem, Inventory) are closed.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  20. Sander1991

Sander1991

@MrG
    Thanks again for the long detailed text from you ;). Really appreciate it! So I guess I can ignore the misspelling things. These are things which I will change for sure - looks ugly.

Never used in code. Actually I was not 100% sure if it is right and was to lazy to check if it is right. I gonna change it. Btw I did not use it in the code.

This was something which I was thinking about today. I will change it. Actually also when people gonna start using it for a multiplayer game.

All the rest things which you have mentioned are totally right. I will change them for sure. It wouldn't make any sense when I would quote them and say "Yes, you are right". So I gonna do it on this way. Again thank you very much for your input!

21. Sander1991

Sander1991

What I totally forgot. With the next big update will also come a new texture pack:

This will be for the AssetStore itself:

What do you think about them?

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  22. MrG

MrG

The skins look nice, but I would caution against going too far with them because they may not hold up to resizing / scrolling in-game or at design time with slot sizes, slot counts, scrolling, etc. I think it's fine to assume we have our own materials and can do our own skinning. It's just way too broad in scope, and opens pandora's box for people to ask you to customize them. Yours are not the only windows in our projects...we probably have a dozen others. Honestly, a transparent borderless panel would be ideal so we can just make your panel a child of our own frame. At least for me, "easy to blend with existing project design" is a bigger selling point than theme sets.

While a crafting recipe may not need more than a few items, if for no other reason than it becomes too ridiculous for the player, I can easily envision 20 slots on a character, and several dozen slots in storage, and several dozen more in a backpack (lots of small things, for example an alchemist, or a wide variety of loot items). That's not to say the crafting window shouldn't provide for many slots, resizing, and scrolling, as I could dream up a game "mission" requiring a player to gather many pieces of a puzzle to form a device or key that's needed to advance in some fashion.

Have you thought about a category structure? It's really not hard for a game to ramp up to hundreds of items.

Note: The following two paragraphs are admittedly on the border of scope creep, but may still be worth consideration in terms of "fitting in" with projects. On one hand, a project with many windows really needs a common window management system unrelated to any particular content (chat, quests, inventory, etc.), on the other hand, your content needs to play nice with such systems but in their absence should provide some decent functionality.

For runtime resizing, I don't think you need to handle all edges / corners. Perhaps consider a "grip" button in the lower-right corner (default, implemented just like the close button) that when dragged would snap the window size by slot-size + padding + spacing, horizontally and/or vertically based on whether the drag position is closer to, or further from, the window center, rearranging the slots accordingly, to the extent of limit values we define through the inspector. A feature bool to enable resizing would expose these additional settings along with showing (or not) and positioning / styling of the "grip" button.

Could the window position be included in the event arguments of the "Close" event, so we can capture them and so we can set them when the "Shown" event is fired (storing them for future is up to us, probably we'd use PlayerPrefs but could be anything, even server-side storage)?

MrG

P.S. Check for a PM from me :)

23. Sander1991

Sander1991

Ok, Unity 5 is finally out and I went pretty far with the UFPS integration. I will work on it till I get problems. UFPS does not support unity 5 at the moment. In the next upcoming days will a new version come, so that also my asset will support unity 5!

24. goldencruz

goldencruz

will there be support for playmaker also

25. Sander1991

Sander1991

So I have created a video about the UFPS integration:

Playmaker support is not on the current ToDo List. Probably in the far future.

26. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

hi i have a building system which i got from here

ive been trying to convert to english and c#, and i need some help to make it check if the player has the item in the inventory, and if possible only build once its on the toolbar,

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(constructing[0] == false)
    2.                 {
    3.                 woodFloorSpawn.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    4.                 woodFloorSpawn.GetComponent<Renderer>().enabled = false;
    5.                 }
    6.                 if(constructing[0] == false && InventoryScript.woodFloor >= 1 && Input.GetKeyDown ("1"))
    7.                 {
    8.                 woodFloorSpawn.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    9.                 woodFloorSpawn.GetComponent<Renderer>().enabled = true;
    10.                 constructing[0] = true;
    11.                 constructing[1] = false;
    12.                 constructing[2] = false;
    13.                 constructing[3] = false;
    14.                 constructing[4] = false;
    15.                 constructing[5] = false;
    16.                 constructing[6] = false;
    17.                 constructing[7] = false;
    18.                 }
    19.                 else if(constructing[0] == true && InventoryScript.woodFloor == 0)
    20.                 {
    21.                 woodFloorSpawn.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    22.                 constructing[0] = false;
    23.                 }
    24.                 else if(constructing[0] == true && Input.GetKeyDown ("1"))
    25.                 {
    26.                  woodFloorSpawn.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    27.                 woodFloorSpawn.GetComponent<Renderer>().enabled = false;
    28.                  constructing[0] = false;
    29.                 }
    this script check the old inventory for item and enabled on number keys, also im not a coder and used a program to convert the script so some parts may still be wrong, i can post the whole Building System script if it makes it easier or if someone wants to help get a building system similar to legacy rust working with Inventory Master, and soon UFPS... thanx again, the video includes javascripts from the OP but they are in spanish, and from what i can tell you only need the construction2 script for the system the others are for his inventory and crafting...

thanx again

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  27. pandamaster

pandamaster

Hi sander :)
    I have two question before buy your good asset.

1. When i see your vender system?

2. Itemdatabase is very good. But..:(
    Can i export, import to xml or SQLlite DB?

28. Sander1991

Sander1991

@pandamaster

1. When i see your vendor system?

I guess I will implement it in the next update with UFPS. It won't be a lot to implement, so this will be pretty easy.

2. Itemdatabase is very good.
    Nope, I am sorry it is not possible to export it. Later on when I do a save and load system I have to implement this but this could take a small amount of time. It is not so easy to have a save and performance wise good system.

29. Sander1991

Sander1991

@jokerfool

The first ones are warning messages these are not gamebreaking. I just forgot to formate the scripts. So do not worry it won't crash your game.
    The other one is for sure pretty annoying and unity does not overgive the tags I do not why... I really apologize for it. You can fix it when you add the following tags and everything should be fixed:

30. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

hey when do it suport fully to ufps ? and
    can it be like diablo style this assets ?

31. Sander1991

Sander1991

@The-W.A.T.Z.R
    Actually I am almost finished with the UFPS support. Only some small things.

32. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

okey good i really like to test it when it is full UFPS ready :p hehe

33. Sander1991

Sander1991

Okay here are the update notes:

+ Unity 5 ready
    + new IM-Manager
    + new Input Manager, to handle Keycodes for the inventories
    + UFPS integration
    + now you are allowed to create more final items out of an ingredient(Example: 1 wood as an ingridient will give you 2 planks)
    + a complete new texture pack
    + some bug fixes and some different changes(readable in the documentation and script API)

For the update will come a complete new youtube tutorial playlist how to create everything. So everything will be up to date! I guess some people will be surprised that there is no vendor system in. I will create a tutorial for it aswell. The UFPS integration just took so much time. I want to submit it.

Furthermore the price will be raised to 50$! I hope you like my asset as far and would be happy about your opinion ;).
    I will submit the update friday the 13th march! IHopefully it is online on the 18th!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  34. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

wud u create a dropbox link if i pm you my order number? thanx again

35. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

thx for info i gonna buy u product when i see the videos ext :)

i have one more question is it possible to get the invetory to be like Diablo style ? you know like a pistol take 3 slot instead of one ? or do u not have that feature in ?

36. Sander1991

Sander1991

@The-W.A.T.Z.R

No, there is no diablo style. Every item only will take one slot. Sorry that is also not planned for the future.

Here are the two videos which I have created: Firstly the new introduction and secondly how to integrate UFPS into the system after you have created your inventory.

julianr likes this.
  37. SteveB

SteveB

This is one of those things I have a hard time understanding why, based on the sheer number of inventory systems available on the Asset Store, that not a single one of those developers thought to include a 'jig-saw' (or Tetris) system. I've been personally asking for this in nearly every system I feel might be worth implementing in.

Funny enough though, over on the Unreal Marketplace, there's already a system (already approved, soon to be released) that has all the expected features including the aforementioned jig-saw system.

Why is this either overlooked or a problem for inventory developers here?

Cheers

-Steven

38. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

?

39. Sander1991

Sander1991

Yes, I will. Everyone can write me his invoice, but firstly I have to submit the asset this evening, afte this I will.

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  40. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

thx 4 ur info

41. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

hey sander i dident saw that u gonna raise the price of your asset to $ 50. I do not want to be mean or be stupid. but I do not think you should raise the price now it's a little too soon my opinion, I think it is still worth $ 30. I think you should raise the price when you complete following

* inventory save when u get out from the game and go in u still have that u had when u exit the game

* inventory saves when u enter a new scene (when the player go from one scene to another scene)

* fix so that when u add the helmet in caracter bar on the head slot then the item appears on the head of the player and u have a tool option to adjust the itmen to fit right on charater.

* and fix so the shop future is in (like u go to some one (NPC) and u have a shop bar u can shop items from the Npc)

do not take me wrong, your asset is great, I really like it and it's a good idea to do and I really think you should earn money for your work, but my opinion I do not think it is worth more now so dont take me like i am mean to u i say this for your sake and after this future is in, I think it can be raised.
    but you decide for yourself just want to point that out i really like ur assets and the idé of it but its just basic yet
    keep on :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  42. julianr

julianr

I think $50 is a pretty good price for what you get, plus UFPS support now. If you don't have UFPS, then Sander is pretty fast in adding new features, so investing now in this product would save you a ton of money later.

43. Sander1991

Sander1991

@jokerfool
    Did you set the canvas as a child of the player? That could be the reason why the whole screen moves.

@The-W.A.T.Z.R
    I understand what you mean. The problem is that the support takes so much time. I get every day around 10 emails which I HAVE TO answer. They take a lot of time and I want to have a AAA service for every customer and that is the only possible way to guarantee this.

Furthermore I got a message from a customer who got asked for my asset. Please do not go into this trade! You are not allowed to trade my asset for another one!!

44. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

i allready have this asset i only point out my opinion

julianr likes this.
  45. Sander1991

Sander1991

@The-W.A.T.Z.R
    What I forgot, I cannot change the price instantly. The assetstore go through everything! They firstly check my files and they also want a reasonable price. So I send them everything and say if it is ok or not.

46. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

i understand i only point out my opinion :) that i think it should still cost $30

i got one leak/bug when i play i have a video on it :

when I place my 20 HP bottle at the bottom of the large bag and then replacing the smaller bag so I lose 18 HP bottle. and it also happens with other items

47. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

and when do u think you are completing this following needs ?

* inventory save when u get out from the game and go in u still have that u had when u exit the game

* inventory saves when u enter a new scene (when the player go from one scene to another scene)

* fix so that when u add the helmet in caracter bar on the head slot then the item appears on the head of the player and u have a tool option to adjust the itmen to fit right on charater.

* and fix so the shop future is in (like u go to some one (NPC) and u have a shop bar u can buy items from the Npc)

48. Sander1991

Sander1991

@The-W.A.T.Z.R
    The bug should be fixed with the next update. ;)

So the following needs are not so easy. I cannot do anything in this upcoming week. Write an exam on the 23th. So I have to learn for it. After this I will work further on it, but I cannot give you a time - sorry. I am also totally unexperienced with saving. So I have to work myself into it and find a good way to handle it.

49. The-W-A-T-Z-R

The-W-A-T-Z-R

okey then i know :) btw i gonna send u a email now for the im_man...

50. Sander1991

Sander1991

@jokerfool

That means that there is a tag missing. Be sure that you have the following tags in your list:

JackieFPS likes this.