Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(update) HDRP 2020.1.05b DOTS Abysmal performance

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by gnostici, Apr 16, 2020.

1. gnostici

gnostici

I was wrong here, and the biggest two things that got me squared away are

1. Don't compare a float3 to a Vector3 in a test. The results may be unexpected.

2. Don't hold off on using ForEach just because it looks simpler than some other code you'll see on the forum. Newer ECS greatly simplifies parallel processing, compared to the past API. So much so that I did things wrong on the basis of not believing it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  2. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

8 million entities at 60 fps has never been possible. Something must have been wrong with the setup.

We have done lot of hybrid renderer benchmarking with 2019.3 and 2020.1. Our results show that high end 16 core PC with RTX 2080 Ti manages to render 100k entities at 30 fps with 2019.3. With the same hardware, the new Hybrid Renderer V2 you can render 100k entities at 250 fps in HDRP and at 400 fps in URP.

Please file a bug report with simple repro scene. We have now a team improving hybrid renderer, and we want to fix all the corner case performance issues. Unresponsive while rendering 5000 entities is definitely a bug. We need to take a look into it.

gnostici and hippocoder like this.
  3. gnostici

gnostici

@SebastianAaltonen

Thank you. I found two problems, and as it turns out, I was wrong. Some help on the official Discord server got me pointed in the right direction, and momentum picked up from there. Right now, I've got 2500 entities up to 250 FPS.

It's impossible to say what was wrong before with the 8 million. That code has been changed too many times now. But this is why I hold off on filing a bug report. Just in case.