Search Unity

Update has damaged shadows.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by fuzzy3d, Jan 23, 2020.

1. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hello,
    In Unity 2019.3.0b6 and HDRP 7.1.5, I managed to set beautiful blurry shadows (depending on the distance) for directional realtime light using the Angular Diameter parameter. In the editor, game, play and Windows applications- perfect quality.

upload_2020-1-23_16-52-49.png

After converting the project to Unity 2019.3.0f5 and HDRP 7.1.8, the softness of the shadow stopped working properly. Shadows are hard.

upload_2020-1-23_16-53-34.png

Near Plane disappeared from light shadow setting.

The shadow stopped responding to the change in Angular Diameter, it was still hard.

After changing the light type from Directional to Spot and then back to Directional, the Angular Diameter value started to work again and the shadow is soft again - in the editor, game and play. After the build into Win application, the shadow becomes hard again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Lex4art likes this.
  2. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi,
    We have noticed that previously the softness of the shadows was dependent on the size of the shadow maps atlas which would make shadows look different depending on the HDRP configuration you're using.
    Some changes have been made to limit the influence of the atlas size which affect the perceived softness.
    You can use the Angular diameter multiplier in the shadow settings if you want to match the look you had previously or directly use a different value for your angular diameter.
    We always try to match the softness produced by such an angular diameter when raytracing the shadows in order to have a "true reference".

3. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hello laurenth-unity, thank for your reaction,
    as I wrote, changing Angular diameter does nothing, until I switch light type from Directional to Spot and back to Directional. Then shadows start working in editor and play mode, but not in build. You can see this here:

I fully understand the function of the diameter of light and its effect on the softness of the shadow, but the behavior of the new version seems to be wrong.

You can see my shadows settings there also. If I do something wrong, please help me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

The same happend to my project using HDRP 7.1.8.
    I'm using PCSS in deferred mode, though.

5. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

I am using forward rendering, HDRP 7.1.8, Unity Measured materials. My setup is as close as possible to this amazing article:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/0...-render-pipeline-for-high-end-visualizations/
    and
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/02/lexus-opens-the-door-for-virtual-production-in-unity/

Test scene cca 2,5M tri (3DS MAX statistics), HTC Vive Pro, GTX 1080 Ti.
    Unity 2019.3.0b6 and HDRP 7.1.5 worked O.K., but 2019.3.0f5 and HDRP 7.1.8 N.O.K. (bad shadows).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

This is a bug that is known and was since fixed. It will be fixed in the next package. In the meantime, the workaround in the editor is to add a punctual light that cast shadows (this can be then be deleted).

The issue arise whenever the punctual light shadow atlas is not allocated.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    fuzzy3d likes this.
  7. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Thank you francescoc_unity this workaround is working, but I must not destroy the point light. When I destroy lthis new light, the shadows are hard again (build).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. CRISTALSONIC

CRISTALSONIC

I am having this problem with URP not HDRP angular diameter does not seem to be an potion in my light so how do i fix it?