Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. FaberVi

FaberVi

I can not run this package with oculus .. Have I read the support, was it introduced? If so, how do you do it?

2. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

You would need to apply the tank camera and Sun Shafts Image Effects to UniStorm each time you enter the tank. When exiting the tank, apply the player camera and said Image Effects to UniStorm. Both cameras would need to have the same settings; Far Clipping Plane at 18,000 and the Sun Shaft Image Effects.

Hey there!

I'll try to get to it within the next day or so. I'll be sure to post it here when it's been updated.

Hey there!

Oculus Rift was supported the last time we checked. What exactly isn't working? Can you please explain further?

I know that having Anti-aliasing enabled in the Graphic Settings can sometimes cause issues with Oculus Rift. Also ensure that you have your cameras' Far Clipping Plane set to 18,000 so they can see the distant objects.

3. SSL7

SSL7

dlevel said:
    yeap the snow part is mapmagic issue and waiting for fix, but the season slider how can it has to do with the sliders though? Its just a terrain. The rain and snow sliders work fine, the season slider is not. Weird problem. Keep in mind that I spawn CTS on runtime, should be something simple.

Any updates on this @BHS ? We need a fix for runtime spawn of CTS with CTS Weather manager, season slider

4. wood333

wood333

After more testing I have discovered:

1. The flickering is shadow related, as there is no flickering with shadows disabled in the quality settings.

2. There is no flickering outside of the vThirdPersonShooterInstance/HeadTrackSensor bounds, while there is within. This can be observed because the flickering can be seen in the scene view as well as the game view, when the mouse is moved.

3. Note, examples of the dark/flickering areas.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  5. wood333

wood333

Between flickers
    Clear in Scene View.JPG
    Particularly bad flicker
    Big Dark Area Scene View.JPG

6. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

If you are spawning CTS at runtime, this would be causing the issue. The CTS Weather Manager needs to be spawned after the CTS is in the scene. This seems to be how CTS and the Weather Manager work. I'll look into this and provide you with a solution when I get the chance.

Hey there!

I know this issue can occur, regardless if UniStorm is present or not, when the camera's Near Clipping plane is set to below 0.5. Try setting your camera's Near Clipping Plane to at least 0.5 to see if this resolves your issue.

7. SSL7

SSL7

Ok Thank you.

Yes the reason I spawn it at runtime is that I use MapMagic :)

8. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hi @BHS are you guys going to work with the World API (WAPI)?

If you don't know what I'm talking about it's referenced here (12:20) by Jason Booth.

9. SSL7

SSL7

So, an update for this issue, for now, the unistorm/cts integration with mapmagic is totally not working. The only slider that works is the snow slider but that doesn't affect the snow amount in cts profile, so it doesn't spawn the snow texture. Could you please check it out?

10. wood333

wood333

It turns out that the issue is not a clipping plane issue, but a image effects issue, specifically a Ground Fog issue. I have an older version of Unistorm in Unity 5.5.2f1 that works perfectly. However, I cannot get Ground Fog and the latest version of Unistorm to work correctly in 5.5.2f1 or 5.6.3f1. We know that there was a Ground Fog bug in Unity, and it was my understanding that the issue was resolved in 5.6, but my present experience is that the bug may remain.

In any event, my choice is between keeping the older version of Unistorm that works perfectly in 5.5.2f1 or to use the latest version of Unistorm in Unity 5.6.3f1 without Ground Fog image effect.

I want to determine and verify which versions of Unistorm are in my various projects. Is there a way to determine from the imported Unistorm project folder or from an Inspector for Unistorm components within the Unity editor?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  11. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Thanks for the info. When I get the chance, I'll get an update submitted for a fix.

Hey there!

From my understanding, if you want Global Fog as of Unity 5.5 and above, you should be using the Unity Post Pricessung Stack Image Effect which can be found here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/83912

They are the new image effects for Unity. They should allow you to have Global Fog with the newer versions of Unity.

12. wood333

wood333

At this point I'm just trying to understand what effects Unistorm is designed to employ, and which effects are supposed to be applied by the atuo-setup for Invector Third Person Controller, so I can verify that I have the desired components attached. What effects are supposed to be on the camera for proper operation of Unistorm 2.4 and are they supposed to be applied by the Unistorm auto character setup for the Invector third person controller?

13. BHS

BHS

The only effect that is needed, and applied from the Auto Player Setup system, is the Sun Shaft Image Effect. None of the other Image Effects are needed.

14. wood333

wood333

Then the Auto Player Setup is performing as expected. The Sun Shaft effects have always been applied automatically.

Final question. Is there a way to determine which version of Unistorm is in a Project?

Thank you for your prompt responses. Great support! You must never sleep.

15. BHS

BHS

Yes, the version can be determined by opening up the UniStorm script and looking for the version number at the top of the script.

You're welcome, I'm happy to help.

16. wood333

wood333

I encounter two issues with Unistorm 2.4

1. Rain (some but not all) drops penetrate the roofs of my houses.

2. When cloud cover is total as in heavy rain storm, and the sun cannot be seen, the sun still creates dim shadows from my character and bright light reflections on the water.

Suggestions?

17. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

1) To fix particles making it through colliders, you just need to increase the quality of the Rain collider's Collision Quality.

2) This can be fixed by decreasing the amount of sun that is used during precipitation weather types. This setting can be found under Sun Options and it's called Sun Intensity (Cloudy).

18. BHS

BHS

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  19. wood333

wood333

Where is this setting found?

20. BHS

BHS

The Collision Quality can be found on the Collision section of the particle effect. Make sure your collision is set to World. Set it to High to stop particle effects from going through objects.

CollisionQuality.png

21. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS,

Have you looked at the World manager being developed by adam goodrich which creates an api for weather, terrains and other environmental assets to work together?

Do you have any intention to integrate it into unistorm as it is a free asset it would alleviate the need for you to integrate with anything else (hopefully)

Stormy102 likes this.
  22. SSL7

SSL7

Ok tha k you for the reply, please let us know when you have the update because many ppl use mapmagic now combined with cts, and we cannot use the weather system of unistorm.

23. wood333

wood333

I made this change in the rain prefab c# script in the project folder and saved the project. Was that the correct place? It made no difference. In heavy rain enough drops penetrate to look as if the roof has leaks.

24. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

I wasn't aware of it, but it looks really interesting. We can totally look into doing integration with World Manager.

I can try to get something submitted within the next few days. My assumption is that there just needs to be some delay before CTS is spawned.

Can you please provide some more details to help me recreate your issue so I can find a solution quicker?

If you're making the changes to the prefab, you will need to use the Auto Player Setup to reassign your effects and the UniStorm system. What I recommend is making the changes I suggested to the Rain (UniStorm) particle effect your player is using within your scene. The prefab has no connection to the Rain particle effect in your scene.

AndyNeoman and Stormy102 like this.
  25. wood333

wood333

What you didn't quite tell me that you thought I was smart enough to know was that the rain particle effect that the Player uses is on the Player character. (Doh.) Found it. The adjustment works great!

26. rasto61

rasto61

does unistorm work with vr single pass rendering and deferred path (clouds, sky, moon, fog...)?

27. BHS

BHS

Good to hear it's working great!

Hey there!

Last time I checked it did, but it's been a little while since vr has been tested. When I get the chance, I'll double check that everything still works.

28. SSL7

SSL7

Sure,

What I do is running a mapmagic project with the new CTS integration, which lets u use cts profiles, when i run this in runtime, the weather manager spawns an u can see the snow slider moving when it has snow. But no snow texture on map, and if you see the snow power is not moving in profile.

Also no other sliders moving, for example the season slider.

Hope it helps, really need a fix on this.

29. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS,

Is there a flag in the api I can hook into so know when its raining or snowing? I checked the wiki and the docs and cant seem to find it.

30. BHS

BHS

Thanks! I'll use this info to see if I can figure what's going on.

Hey there!

The best way to detect precipitation is using the currentRainIntensity or currentSnowIntensity variables. If they are greater than 0, it is currently raining or snowing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    AndyNeoman likes this.
  31. SSL7

SSL7

Keep in mind I already run unistorm 0.5" after the player spawn, after a problem a had with my player spawner, and you gave me this solution.

Just mentionig it because I dont think that the problem is the unistorm staring before cts, except is the weather manager, but then again why the snow slider works? even though it doesnt have the snow texture.

Anyway let me know how it goes :)

32. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

Hey all!

This is my first time posting here. I had just purchased unistorm from the asset store last night, and am getting errors, and don't know why. At first I was having an issue with the EdgeDetectEffect.cs script, so I added
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects;
    to the top of the script and it seemed to have fixed that issue, but afterwards, I got the issues posted below.

Now I am getting the following errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

33. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

These errors usually happen because you have an old JavaScript version of Unity's Sun Shafts in your project. Use the project search tool, search SunShafts, and delete the .js version of the SunShafts image effect. If this doesn't work, try reimporting your image effects by going to Assets>Import Package>Effects using the toolbar at the top of Unity.

34. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

Thank you so much. That seemed to have fixed it :). Looking forward to using Unistorm

35. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

This is probably a stupid question... but how do I change the skyboxes? The skybox I have for daytime is fine, it's a blue one. But when nighttime comes around, it's still the blue skybox, so it doesn't even look like night time, and is still light outside. So basically how can I make nighttime look more like.. nighttime? Is this done in the UniStormDesktopPrefab_C_Basic prefab I already have in my scene? Or is it done elsewhere?

Thank you in advance.

36. BHS

BHS

You are welcome!

This happens when you don't assign your Sun Light object to the Unity Lighting options. This is done automatically with Unity 5.5 or newer so you must be using an older version of Unity.

To fix this, apply the Sun Light object to Unity Sun slot in the Lighting tab. A tutorial can be found here if you need a guide on how to do so: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...My_Sky_gets_bright_.28and_or_blue.29_at_night

37. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

Strange, i'm running 5.5.2f1, and get that issue. I guess i'll take a look at that tutorial.

UPDATE:
    Awesome that fixed it!! Thank you so much :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  38. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

Another question (Sorry for bombarding you with stupid questions). How can I increase the number of clouds in the sky? I don't feel like there are quite enough clouds in the sky and would like to increase the amount of clouds.

39. BHS

BHS

Great to hear! You're welcome!

No worries :)

The number of clouds in the sky vary because UniStorm regenerates them with each new weather type. The overall cloud density is based on the weather type. Mostly Clear is going to have the least where Most Cloudy will have the most.

40. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

My apologies, I missed your post. WAPI integration is certainly planned for the next update.

41. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

Is there any way to increase the amount of clouds with each weather type? Like can I have more clouds in the sky with partly cloudy then what is shown? Or is that not easily customizable?

Also, whenever I use the heavy rain weather type, I cannot see the rain particles. I didn't customize much, most of this is using the provided prefab. However, I did disable the UniStorm Demo Player C child of the UniStormDesktopPrefab_C_Basic game object (not sure if that would make a difference or not), since I am using the Atavism MMO creator, it provides a customizable UMA character system.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  42. BHS

BHS

There's currently no way to increase the amount of clouds for each weather type. However, the clouds wlll be reworked with the next couple of version of UniStorm.

It is recommended that you use the Auto Player Setup system. It can be found by going to Window>UniStorm>Auto Player Setup. This will open up a system that will allow you to more easily setup your character. You just need to apply your camera and character model and UniStorm will assign and position all needed components. The reason you are not seeing particle effects is because they are most likely still applied to the disabled Demo Player.

If you need a guide, the video below will help you out. Just follow it, but assign your custom camera and character model.

43. mdsmith98

mdsmith98

Not sure if you are familiar with Atavism or not, but Atavism is an MMO Engine made to work with Unity. For characters it uses the UMA system, so it doesn't have a real character model. It uses different things to piece it together.

So I don't really have a player model to apply.

44. BHS

BHS

I am familiar with Avatism. There have been a few customers use it with UniStorm. It doesn't have to have to be an actual model. It just has to be a transform that the Setup system can spawn particle effects to. The transform just acts as the parent for the particle effects.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  45. Wishymashy

Wishymashy

Hello has there been any work/documentation on how to get this to work on a client/player server game? MMO RPG sorta? There's another asset that has it easily setup with prefabs,and would prefer to use unistorm. Scripts to be able to work with unet and headless server.

46. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

My apologies for the delay. I'll try to get a unet example posted within the next few days. I'll get started on it tomorrow.

julianr likes this.
  47. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hi Black Horizon Studio,

i have a question, ist it possible to combine Unistorm with Lighting Box (Next-Gen Lighting Solution) or have any one here some experience with that to assets ?

48. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

It hasn't been tested, but I reached out to the developer to see if I can get support added. I'm more than happy to add full support if it's possible.

49. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

From what I understand it is an easy way of setting up post processing stack and the volumetric light asset with some great settings. I can confirm I use both these assets with unistorm and the results are fantastic.

Have you had any luck with the RTP/Uber developer Tom about integration? I have done some myself now with unistorm's rain driving my rtp terrain wetness and also accumulating on my uber rocks, npc's and main character but it would be great to have official integration.

50. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Sounds good i hope you can give me a positiv message about the support